Magnesium Causing Twitching/spasms

hmac

Everytime I have tried to supplement magnesium I have noticed that I start having muscle spasms or involuntarily jolting. It's something that happens to me on and off, regardless of whether I supplement or not, but there does seem to be an intensification after taking magnesium. This has happened using various forms - transdermal, oral tablets and magnesium bicarbonate.

I'm surprised by this connection as, given magnesium's well know relaxing effect on the cell, it ought to aleviate these kind of symptoms.

Can anyone help me glean what useful insight this might be giving into my physiology?

CoolTweetPete

Have you tried taking magnesium with pyroxidal-5-phosphate (active form of vitamin b6)?

There was a thread somewhat related to this a few weeks ago. Apparently P5P is needed to allow magnesium to enter cells. I have noticed a potent tranquilization effect when using a 50mg P5P supplement with Natural Calm ionic magnesium.

OP
H

hmac

CoolTweetPete said:
post 116121 Have you tried taking magnesium with pyroxidal-5-phosphate (active form of vitamin b6)?

There was a thread somewhat related to this a few weeks ago. Apparently P5P is needed to allow magnesium to enter cells. I have noticed a potent tranquilization effect when using a 50mg P5P supplement with Natural Calm ionic magnesium.

Yeh I've heard about this combo - unfortunately P5P has given me really bad side effects in the past so I'm not that keen to try it again. Appreciate the advice - perhaps taking it alongside b6 containing foods might have a similar effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmac said:
post 116122
CoolTweetPete said:
post 116121 Have you tried taking magnesium with pyroxidal-5-phosphate (active form of vitamin b6)?

Yeh I've heard about this combo - unfortunately P5P has given me really bad side effects in the past so I'm not that keen to try it again. Appreciate the advice - perhaps taking it alongside b6 containing foods might have a similar effect?

Same.. P5P sucks for me. I get really dizzy and feel out of it. I react really well to regular B6 though. I don't know if it will do anything for your problem though. +1 to the calcium comment.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mayweatherking said:
post 116133 Same.. P5P sucks for me.
I tried P5P recently and my left big toe light up like a nuclear reactor. :lol: Needless to say I don't think I will be taking anymore.

I eat a lot of taters now, so I imagine I am getting plenty B6, especially all the dreaming I have been doing lately. :shock:

Last edited:
OP
H

hmac

Charlie said:
post 116135
mayweatherking said:
post 116133 Same.. P5P sucks for me.
I tried P5P recently and my left big toe light up like a nuclear reactor. :lol: Needless to say I don't think I will be taking anymore.

I eat a lot of taters now, so I imagine I am getting plenty B6, especially all the dreaming I have been doing lately. :shock:

Yeh - I've had the same dizziness as mayweatherking and I have had some numbness in my toes from taking it. If you google around there are quite a lot of people claiming to have developed serious neuropathy from P5P so I guess we should consider ourselves lucky to have got off relatively lightly!

CoolTweetPete

Oddly it seems B6 deficiency can cause neuropathy (according to Wikipedia). I wonder what could be at play with folks experiencing it with P5P. :-?

Wikipedia -

"Deficiency
Signs and symptoms
The classic clinical syndrome for vitamin B6 deficiency is a seborrhoeic dermatitis-like eruption, atrophic glossitis with ulceration, angular cheilitis, conjunctivitis, intertrigo, and neurologic symptoms of somnolence, confusion, and neuropathy[16] (due to impaired sphingosin synthesis) and sideroblastic anemia (due to impaired heme synthesis)."

OP
H

hmac

ecstatichamster said:
post 116187 Again Calcium intake? Too much mg not balanced with calcium can mess things up too.
Sorry - missed your first comment. At the times when I first noticed it I was consuming a great deal of calcium, maybe 2.5 to 3.5grams a day. Currently I am consuming much less but still have the same reaction to magnesium.
My thought was that it could be to do with excessive alkalinity.

InChristAlone

I used to get the twitching from mag baths, I would drink a glass of milk and the problem would go away. I asked on a different group and people said potassium. Without enough potassium pushing mag can be difficult.

OP
H

hmac

Janelle525 said:
post 116319 I used to get the twitching from mag baths, I would drink a glass of milk and the problem would go away. I asked on a different group and people said potassium. Without enough potassium pushing mag can be difficult.
That's interesting. I live in England and the soil has been pretty badly depleted, so while consuming many supposedly potassium rich foods it may be that I am not getting as much of it as I think. Do you think potassium chloride would be a relatively safe form to supplement or possibly add to bathwater?

OP
H

hmac

ecstatichamster said:
post 116323 I used to get cramps in my toes and fingers which would go away when I took a little potassium.
Interesting - what form of potassium?

tara

hmac said:
post 116242 My thought was that it could be to do with excessive alkalinity.

You can test UpH with pH test strips or pH meter. Should average between 6.2/6.3 - 6.7/6.8. If it's averaging above 7.0, you could be running a bit too alkaline.

hmac said:
post 116333 Do you think potassium chloride would be a relatively safe form to supplement or possibly add to bathwater?
I don't know what absorption is like from bath water. Most fruits and veges incl potatoes have some potassium. If you try supplementing, make it small - eg 100mg up to a few times a day, not large amounts at once, for safety. I think Peat has said the body doesn't have such good mechanisms for disposing of excess potasium.

OP
H

hmac

tara said:
hmac said:
post 116242 My thought was that it could be to do with excessive alkalinity.

You can test UpH with pH test strips or pH meter. Should average between 6.2/6.3 - 6.7/6.8. If it's averaging above 7.0, you could be running a bit too alkaline.

hmac said:
post 116333 Do you think potassium chloride would be a relatively safe form to supplement or possibly add to bathwater?
I don't know what absorption is like from bath water. Most fruits and veges incl potatoes have some potassium. If you try supplementing, make it small - eg 100mg up to a few times a day, not large amounts at once, for safety. I think Peat has said the body doesn't have such good mechanisms for disposing of excess potasium.

Thanks - I will give the uph strips a go.

When I have cramps it only takes probably 100mg potassium chloride in water to make them go away. It's usually when I've had far too much sodium. Like I'm the old days when I would eat chips (crisps) and ore heavily salted junk food.

OP
H

hmac

ecstatichamster said:
When I have cramps it only takes probably 100mg potassium chloride in water to make them go away. It's usually when I've had far too much sodium. Like I'm the old days when I would eat chips (crisps) and ore heavily salted junk food.

That's interesting. Perhaps this I a little pedantic, but I wouldn't say I am having cramps, I'd say it's more like involuntary twitching - as if someone was tapping an electric charge on my skin causing the muscles to tense and relax over and over again, this often happens in my left deltoid or under my eye.

hmac said:
post 116705
ecstatichamster said:

That's interesting. Perhaps this I a little pedantic, but I wouldn't say I am having cramps, I'd say it's more like involuntary twitching - as if someone was tapping an electric charge on my skin causing the muscles to tense and relax over and over again, this often happens in my left deltoid or under my eye.

Yeah. It's different. I was sharing a different solution to a slightly different problem.

I had ear fluttering and magnesium supplement Fixed it immediately. Motorboat sound in the ear from a muscle that holds the eardrum spasming out. Mg fixed it almost at once.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals