Magnesium Citrate - Caution

Glassy

I make Jelly with a 1.25L bottle of Coca Cola sometimes with 110g gelatine. In doing so you take the fizz out especially once the liquid is heated. I’ve tasted the warm gelatine liquid and there is not the slightest sourness to which made me wonder about the hype around phosphoric acid in soft drink. I wondered if the gelatine was neutralising the acid but it’s also what happens when you let soft drinks get flat (they become sickly sweet with no bite). I guess the acid bite in soft drinks is mainly from carbonic acid (dissolved CO2).

I’ve been drinking between 3-800ml of the concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water daily and the only thing I’ve noticed is some very loose bowel movements. I’ve viewed this as mainly a positive thing because they haven’t been horrific, I like to have a quick transit and the bicarbonate seems to take the burn out of the equation. I use MgOH powder which I mix with water before adding to keep the fizzing down. I make my mixes so that there’s still a bit of carbonation left after clearing as I find it tastes horrible if it’s completely gone. I try to drink it before eating because I don’t want to compromise digestion especially if it is liver or oysters which are a once per week thing.

I’ve not used flavoured soft drinks for the bicarbonate water but I’m sure it would be fine. It’s the dissolved CO2 in the water that reacts to form the Mag bicarbonate, any other acids present will be neutralised into their salt form (ie phosphate or citrate).

OP
Mito

Mito

yerrag

Citric acid would be more of a concern, but both should be neutralized if you're worried strictly about acidity.

Finally, the local Coke bottler used up all its inventory of HFCS, and now I finally get my hands on Coca Cola with no HFCS and is all cane sugar! The label says: Carbonated Water, Sugar, Caramel Color, Acidity Regulator (Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors, Caffeine.

I'm getting the 2 liter bottle refrigerated so tomorrow I can add magnesium hydroxide to it. How much magnesium hydroxide can you mix in @DaveFoster ?

DaveFoster

Finally, the local Coke bottler used up all its inventory of HFCS, and now I finally get my hands on Coca Cola with no HFCS and is all cane sugar! The label says: Carbonated Water, Sugar, Caramel Color, Acidity Regulator (Phosphoric Acid, Natural Flavors, Caffeine.

I'm getting the 2 liter bottle refrigerated so tomorrow I can add magnesium hydroxide to it. How much magnesium hydroxide can you mix in @DaveFoster ?
Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless

yerrag

Last edited:

yerrag

If citrate really does inhibit the production of ceruloplasmin (as per this study: On the mechanism of citrate inhibition of ceruloplasmin ferroxidase activity. - PubMed - NCBI) then that might be a larger concern.
Given how citrate affects ceruloplasmin activity, which leads to lower red blood cell production, I can't understand why magnesium citrate is widely used. Can't understand also why lemons and limes are heavily recommended. Should I be avoiding lemons and limes as well?

Magnesium is very important, and I'm finding that I can get creative with supplementing magnesium. I just found out that I can mix magnesium hydroxide with ascorbic acid in water, and get magnesium ascorbate. Now, I have to find out if I can also do the same with taurine, to get magnesium taurate. And if I can get magnesium glycinate by mixing magnesium hydroxide with glycine.

If I can mix and match this easily, why bother with magnesium citrate? There are better anions to pair with.

DaveFoster

I've started using magnesium chloride, and noticing major improvements in my protein digestion.
I think this might be my new favourite Magnesium.
Magnesium chloride's very allergenic, and topical seems to be safer.

Bodrum

You are right on the food sources. The most loved 'Peaty' foods are all high in magnesium too - it's hard to be deficient on a diet of fruit, strong coffee, chocolate, milk and leaf broth.
how do you make your leaf broth, what kind of leaves do you use.. how long do you boşl, how much daily and what tine do you drink it... thanks ??‍♂️

Ray has cautioned about magnesium citrate supplements.
"Citric acid itself causes you to lose calcium in your urine. Lactate is another popular supplement. All of those have their anti-calcification effects, causing you to lose calcium or misplace it." KMUD: Hair Loss, Inflammation and Osteoporosis (2012)
Is is pretty strange he said that considering that in his article "Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy" he referenced a study: Potassium citrate prevents increased urine calcium excretion and bone resorption induced by a high sodium chloride diet

"The addition of oral potassium citrate to a high-salt diet prevented the increased excretion of urine calcium and the bone resorption marker caused by a high salt intake. "

Is is pretty strange he said that considering that in his article "Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy" he referenced a study: Potassium citrate prevents increased urine calcium excretion and bone resorption induced by a high sodium chloride diet

"The addition of oral potassium citrate to a high-salt diet prevented the increased excretion of urine calcium and the bone resorption marker caused by a high salt intake. "
Also in the same article he referenced another study: New drugs with positive effects on bones

"NaHCO3 together with potassium citrate stimulates osteoblasts and enhances bone mineralisation."

Grapelander

I've been using the Magnesium Glycinate. (Peat recommended)

Any thoughts on Magnesium Malate?
  • Magnesium malate: Magnesium malate is a good choice for people with fibromyalgia-chronic fatigue syndrome (FM-CFS). Malate or malic acid is a natural constituent found in fruits, such as apples. It’s also a key metabolite in every cell in the body. Malic acid plays a critical role in energy production and synthesis of ATP — the body’s batteries that store metabolic energy.