Magnesium Mystery - What Form To Take?

OP
Moshi

Moshi

Why no love for citrate? Very good absorption and i think the citric acid amount is very low compared to something like orange juice

I have read some different reasons for this.... like a) citric acid can be bad for you b) the citrate is made with a process that involves aspergillus niger, black mold or C) citrate is made from corn

I’m also confused. For me, the citrate form has been the form that gives me a clear effect.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@schultz - for me personally, I have serious neurological issues that can only be attentuated by supplemental magnesium, food sources not enough...

Amazoniac

Sooooo...... if I have a jar of pure magnesium carbonate powder.... I could just put the powder in capsules and swallow...? No need for pre-mixing with water/liquid? And then let the Mg carbonate react with my stomach acid, which would then be alkalized in the reaction process?
No need for capsules, directly in the mouth chased by some liquid. You can also add a sweetener. I have the impression that utilization is improved if you go for a walk.

Here's the process (the one on the right since the absorption of killcium and magnesium is poor and a great share escapes digestion):
- "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid"

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@Amazoniac Thank you for this! Trying to wrap my little head around this.
Right now I will test a new Mg supplement I just bought today - capsules containing a mix of Mg Oxide and Mg L-pidolate. We’ll see how that goes.....

OP
Moshi

Moshi

Ay ay!! The trial with the new Mg Oxide/Pidolate capsules did NOT go well :hungover::hungover: even at less than 1/4 recommended dose I got a terrible flush, increased heart rate, red chest, tight throat, heartburn.....
Feel awful...... (does this call for an antihistamine.....?)

Momentum

Ay ay!! The trial with the new Mg Oxide/Pidolate capsules did NOT go well :hungover::hungover: even at less than 1/4 recommended dose I got a terrible flush, increased heart rate, red chest, tight throat, heartburn.....
Feel awful...... (does this call for an antihistamine.....?)
Did you take an antihistamine?
Anytime I have a tight throat I take an antihistamine. If I feel it's leaning toward anaphylaxis I use liquid benadryl.
What are the fillers in the mag you took?

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@Momentum Thanks, I have a loratadine tablet here, have not taken it yet, may take promethazine instead... :bucktooth:
def a histamine reaction going on, still red chest and tight throat, it’s been an increasing problem for me lately...

Momentum

Totally understand about the reaction, but why not take something? What about Boswellia or Quercetin. Boswellia really helps me, but I don't hesitate on the zyrtec or benadryl (with tight throat symptom).
I so feel you. I was diagnosed a decade ago with ME/Fibro/POTS, the MS (I believe falsely), MCS and then Lyme and coinfections. With the amount we spent, and abuse of the medical system, I was done searching once dxd with Lyme+.
Sadly, I think that was a big mistake for me. Somehow, a few months ago I came across Dr Diana Driscoll's work and the lightbulb went on regarding EDS, MCAS and IIH. I have an appointment with a geneticist next week to check for EDS.
Since September my symptoms of IIH and MCAS increased exponentially. I was getting quite desperate, researching at least 10 hours/day. The only thing I changed was adding a daily chai tea or two into my diet. I came across info on oxalates, and OMG everything in my chai (black tea, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, cardomom, orange peel) are extremely high in oxalate. Now, I've greatly reduced my oxalate consumption (this can be tricky, even dangerous if you go too fast) and my MCAS issues have decreased quite a bit. My red nose is almost gone! Oh, also, I had started LDN which had microcrystalline cellulose as the filler back in August. OMG - that totally started things. Got a different filler and it really made a difference.
All this to ask, have you changed anything lately?

Momentum

Oh, I've tried making my own topical mag with mag flakes knowing it could take months of foot soaks to raise my levels. I never lasted more than a week - LOL
But I did purchase Idea Labs Magnoil recently and I will say that I love it.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

Dear @Momentum , we have A LOT in common.
Do you possibly have a link to a list of high oxalate foods to try and avoid?

OP
Moshi

Moshi

And @Momentum thanks for the reminder re: boswellia, it seems to be one of ”the keepers” (I’m referring to the truck loads of supplements and herbs etc I’ve tried and accumulated over the years) keep coming back to boswellia, but have not taken it for the past month or so....

Wagner83

Have any of you tried sucrosomial magnesium? A new form of magnesium each semester.

Spondive

Also citrate is used in blood products.. during massive transfusion one must watch the calcium level in patients blood because it decreases calcium to dangerously low levels. We give an amp of calcium chloride IV after multiple transfusions.. my opinion citrate would bea bad choice however if taken in orally i don’t know of the same effect

Giraffe

I just ordered a jar of pure Magnesium CARBONATE powder, but wondering how I should prepare it/take it, ideally....???

Anyone out there using Mg Carbonate powder orally? If so - exactly how do you mix it, to become soluble, and bioavaiable, yet harmless?
I use it on/off. Normally I take it with a meal (I just add it to the food as if it was table salt).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals