Magnesium Citrate - Caution

Mito

Magnesium citrate is one of the most popular magnesium supplements because it is usually well absorbed. But there are some are some possible downsides if used in large quantities.

Ray has cautioned about magnesium citrate supplements.

"Citric acid itself causes you to lose calcium in your urine. Lactate is another popular supplement. All of those have their anti-calcification effects, causing you to lose calcium or misplace it." KMUD: Hair Loss, Inflammation and Osteoporosis (2012)

Magnesium citrate may interfere with ceurloplasmin production.
Ceruloplasmin is a plasma protein, which oxidizes ferrous ions in a catalytic manner. It is considered to function as a ferroxidase in vivo. Citrate was found to inhibit the reaction. On the mechanism of citrate inhibition of ceruloplasmin ferroxidase activity. - PubMed - NCBI

Ceruloplasmin is the major copper-carrying protein in the blood and plays an active role in the metabolism of iron. Consumer Education Research on Magnesium Issues

DaveFoster

Good information. I used to take citrate, but now I take magnesium chloride, and I think food sources are ideal.

Tenacity

Good information. I used to take citrate, but now I take magnesium chloride, and I think food sources are ideal.

You are right on the food sources. The most loved 'Peaty' foods are all high in magnesium too - it's hard to be deficient on a diet of fruit, strong coffee, chocolate, milk and leaf broth.

OP
Mito

Mito

You are right on the food sources. The most loved 'Peaty' foods are all high in magnesium too - it's hard to be deficient on a diet of fruit, strong coffee, chocolate, milk and leaf broth.
Dark Chocolate - 41mg/once
Milk - 27mg/cup
OJ - 27mg/cup
Spinach - 24mg/cup
Coffee - 7mg/cup
Orange juice, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

I agree food is the ideal source but can we get enough from food sources? The amounts listed above may be too high considering magnesium depletion of soil. Magnesium deficiency in plants: An urgent problem

Supplementation might be necessary for most people. The average basis for good magnesium cellular saturation is between 7 mg – 10 mg per kilogram (475-680 mg for 150 lb person) daily. The Requirement of Magnesium by the Normal Adult

Tenacity

I agree food is the ideal source but can we get enough from food sources? The amounts listed above may be too high considering magnesium depletion of soil. Magnesium deficiency in plants: An urgent problem

You could use this as a justification to supplement any mineral. If you really doubt you are getting enough magnesium, I am sure there are tests you can take to confirm your body's levels. In day to day life the mineral content of anything you put in your mouth is unknowable, so there's little good worrying about things you cannot control.

Supplementation might be necessary for most people. The average basis for good magnesium cellular saturation is between 7 mg – 10 mg per kilogram (475-680 mg for 150 lb person) daily. The Requirement of Magnesium by the Normal Adult

Interesting. CRON-O-Meter tells me I average about 800mg.

OP
Mito

Mito

In day to day life the mineral content of anything you put in your mouth is unknowable, so there's little good worrying about things you cannot control.

Right but if you can find a clean non-alergenic supplement source there's probably no downside to extra magnesium as long as you have adequate kidney function. Seems reasonable since magnesium is so important to so many enzyme reactions.

I am sure there are tests you can take to confirm your body's levels.

There are tests but the only test that truly indicates intercellular magnesium levels (which is what matters) is an EXATest which is hard to get and relatively expensive.
Magnesium Test: Intracellular Analysis for Heart Disease, A Fib, Arrhythmia, Stroke: EXA Test

That's very good. I typically only get about 500 mg from my diet.

Ukall

"Citric acid itself causes you to lose calcium in your urine. Lactate is another popular supplement. All of those have their anti-calcification effects, causing you to lose calcium or misplace it."
What if you take some calcium supplement with it at the same time?

I ordered some Magnesium Citrate few days ago, because I was worried if I have low stomach acid to properly absorb the minerals that I ingest. Taking Calcium Carbonate makes the pH of our stomach alkaline, so I thought having Magnesium Citrate would be a good idea to counter act that effect. Also, I remember Chris Masterjohn saying that if you have low stomach acid and you supplement Calcium, you will not absorb it well and it may end up in your arteries.

Then I've read that Citrate supplements are better to prevent kidney stones, so I wanted to give it a try...

OP
Mito

Mito

What if you take some calcium supplement with it at the same time?
I ordered some Magnesium Citrate few days ago, because I was worried if I have low stomach acid to properly absorb the minerals that I ingest. Taking Calcium Carbonate makes the pH of our stomach alkaline, so I thought having Magnesium Citrate would be a good idea to counter act that effect.

You could look into using magnesium chloride (Ionic Magnesium - Trace Minerals Research) the extra chloride will help produce more HCL in the stomach.

OP
Mito

Mito

From Ray's book GENERATIVE ENERGY RESTORING THE WHOLENESS OF LIFE

"Ceruloplasmin, a major copper-containing protein, helps to keep iron in its safe oxidized form."

tara

You could use this as a justification to supplement any mineral.
Might be true, too, about many essential minerals. I think soil depletion is a serious problem.

In day to day life the mineral content of anything you put in your mouth is unknowable, so there's little good worrying about things you cannot control.
Might not be able to know in precise detail, but knowing that there is a general paucity in industrial agriculture compared with much of our evolution, there are things we can choose to do to influence our intake if we want, and it may make a difference in some cases. Especially for people who have lowish metabolism, and who therefore likely lose some minerals faster than people in fuller health.
Eg, variety of foods (species), selecting some foods with higher mineral density, supplementing some directly.
AIUI, there is a case for trying supplemental Mg for quite a lot of people.

BibleBeliever

Magnesium citrate is one of the most popular magnesium supplements because it is usually well absorbed. But there are some are some possible downsides if used in large quantities.

"Citric acid itself causes you to lose calcium in your urine. Lactate is another popular supplement. All of those have their anti-calcification effects, causing you to lose calcium or misplace it." KMUD: Hair Loss, Inflammation and Osteoporosis (2012)

Magnesium citrate may interfere with ceurloplasmin production.
Ceruloplasmin is a plasma protein, which oxidizes ferrous ions in a catalytic manner. It is considered to function as a ferroxidase in vivo. Citrate was found to inhibit the reaction. On the mechanism of citrate inhibition of ceruloplasmin ferroxidase activity. - PubMed - NCBI

Ceruloplasmin is the major copper-carrying protein in the blood and plays an active role in the metabolism of iron. Consumer Education Research on Magnesium Issues

Any idea how much citric acid is in orange juice vs magnesium citrate? Wouldn't the daily quart or two of orange juice have more citric acid?

yurt

My calculator says that 47.36 mmol = 8.95 grams of citrate (per litre, in the study).
Magnesium citrate is about 89% citrate.
So yes, citrates from a couple of litres of OJ could easily exceed what you might get from a magnesium citrate supplement.
(Also of note is the fact that industrially-produced citric acid is unlikely to be entirely pure.)

BibleBeliever

My calculator says that 47.36 mmol = 8.95 grams of citrate (per litre, in the study).
Magnesium citrate is about 89% citrate.
So yes, citrates from a couple of litres of OJ could easily exceed what you might get from a magnesium citrate supplement.
(Also of note is the fact that industrially-produced citric acid is unlikely to be entirely pure.)
Very interesting, thanks for the answer.

tara

Any idea how much citric acid is in orange juice vs magnesium citrate? Wouldn't the daily quart or two of orange juice have more citric acid?
I would guess it depends a lot on the ripeness of the oranges?

BibleBeliever

I would guess it depends a lot on the ripeness of the oranges?
Riper is less citric acid?
I never tried freshly squeezed oj; I read somewhere that you get about 500ml yield per 2 kg I think it was?
I find concentrate on sale for about 2 dollars and buy cartons; also the frozen stuff.
I actually found the orange juice not from concentrate to give problems, while the concentrate oj did not. Perhaps too much vitamin c forming oxalic acid in the former.

OP
Mito

Mito

"Magnesium citrate is a magnesium preparation in salt form with citric acid in a 1:1 ratio (1 magnesium atom per citrate molecule)."

Quantitative Assessment of Citric Acid in Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, and Commercially-Available Fruit Juice Products

IMG_0752.jpg

Frankdee20

You could use this as a justification to supplement any mineral. If you really doubt you are getting enough magnesium, I am sure there are tests you can take to confirm your body's levels. In day to day life the mineral content of anything you put in your mouth is unknowable, so there's little good worrying about things you cannot control.

You're absolutely correct, but considering how many Magnesium dependent enzymes exist, this is one significant mineral. I'd rather supplement this than a trace mineral.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals