New Magnesium Form With Enhanced Cell Penetration: Magnesium N-Acetyltaurinate

agnostic

What is the opinion here on a new magnesium form that has recently been introduced to the market: Magnesium N-Acetyltaurinate?

Apparently, this form has a better cell penetration than conventional magnesium taurinate. It seems to be especially good at increasing magnesium in the brain according to two recent studies:

In the first study (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29679349), the investigators gave five different forms of magnesium (sulfate, acetyltaurinate, oxide, malate, citrate) to rats and measured the accumulation of magnesium in different tissues. Interestingly, magnesium acetyltaurate was by far the best form for increasing magnesium in the brain.

In the second study (Dose-Dependent Absorption Profile of Different Magnesium Compounds. - PubMed - NCBI), the investigators compared the bioavailability of different doses of magnesium malate, citrate, acetytaurinate, and glycinate. Again, the acetyltaurinate form increased brain magnesium the most and it was effective even at the low dose.

Pure magnesium n-acetyltaurinate can be bought here:
Buy ATA Mg® Magnesium N-Acetyltaurinate Powder| Mind Nutrition Store
Acétyl Taurinate de Magnésium 500 mg - Planticinal
Personalised Supplement Stacks | Customized Blends

Dave Clark

I did 90 days of this formula: Magnesium Rx 120 vcaps
Didn't notice anything special, good or bad. Stopped mostly due to the expense, and the fact that nobody was talking about it back when I tried it two years ago, so I did not see enough scientific info to compel me to keep using it. I kept an open eye, but honestly this thread is the first I have even seen anyone mention this form recently.

OP
A

agnostic

I did 90 days of this formula: Magnesium Rx 120 vcaps
Didn't notice anything special, good or bad. Stopped mostly due to the expense, and the fact that nobody was talking about it back when I tried it two years ago, so I did not see enough scientific info to compel me to keep using it. I kept an open eye, but honestly this thread is the first I have even seen anyone mention this form recently.

Mabye you didn't notice anything because the amount of magnesium acetyl-taurinate in that formula is very small.

Dave Clark

Mabye you didn't notice anything because the amount of magnesium acetyl-taurinate in that formula is very small.
Possibly. I think I took four caps/day, split up. So, I probably got close to 200mg/day of that form. I was under the impression, from what I read, that that form was lipid soluble and a large dose wasn't needed, hence the way it was formulated. Similar to the threonate form, which doesn't require a high dose. For me to revisit that form, I would like to see more compelling research, and then of course better prices, maybe a powder form.

OP
A

agnostic

Possibly. I think I took four caps/day, split up. So, I probably got close to 200mg/day of that form. I was under the impression, from what I read, that that form was lipid soluble and a large dose wasn't needed, hence the way it was formulated. Similar to the threonate form, which doesn't require a high dose. For me to revisit that form, I would like to see more compelling research, and then of course better prices, maybe a powder form.

There is actually a powder form:
Buy ATA Mg® Magnesium N-Acetyltaurinate Powder| Mind Nutrition Store

I would also like to see a direct comparison between magnesium taurinate and magnesium acetyl-taurinate. I've not yet seen a study that directly compared these forms.

OP
A

agnostic

Kira

I realized that Double Woods now also sells this type of magnesium. Before, you could only order it from Europe.
Amazon product ASIN B094Q5D91JView: https://www.amazon.com/Supplement-Acetyl-Taurate-Double-Wood-Supplements/dp/B094Q5D91J

I don't take this type of magnesium daily but use in times of high stress because it seems to be more anxiolytic and calming than regular magnesium taurinate. I use the pure powder from Mind Nutrition.
Hi Agnistic.. are you still using this mag power? Would you say that the dose recommended 800mg daily is about 1/4 of a teaspoon? THNX

OP
A

agnostic

Hi Agnistic.. are you still using this mag power? Would you say that the dose recommended 800mg daily is about 1/4 of a teaspoon? THNX
Yes, I still use it sporadically before highly stressful events. I don't know how to translate the dose in mg to teaspoons. I use a milligram scale. Usually, I take between 1 and 1.5 grams.

Took it for 9 months and didn't notice anything. Saw a COA and 3rd party lab test so not an issue of quality. Just another form of magnesium that does diddly squat for me

Kira

Yes, I still use it sporadically before highly stressful events. I don't know how to translate the dose in mg to teaspoons. I use a milligram scale. Usually, I take between 1 and 1.5 grams.
THNX:):

Kira

Took it for 9 months and didn't notice anything. Saw a COA and 3rd party lab test so not an issue of quality. Just another form of magnesium that does diddly squat for me
BUMMER... I tried most forms and the one I actually noticed a difference with was Mag Chloride... May be try this one if you are still looking

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals