Lowering High Blood Sugar

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Just be clean and sanitary. i'm sure you already know that. Plenty of cotton buds and alcohol. Pricking the finger the first time was the hardest part.

I don't know your condition. People with really poor glucose control would faint from a 70g bolus of glucose, as the blood sugar would plummet. So, keep some food beside you, just in case. If worse is to be expected, somebody has to be there. Don't want to scare you, but the slight danger of someone fainting is reason enough for this test to become unpopular in a sue-happy country.

It's good to have a baseline to work with, as some blood glucose meters would read wrong at times. Sometimes, the blood sample is too little, or it gets contaminated with the alcohol that hasn't dried when you wiped your finger with alcohol. So when in doubt, take another reading. To ensure there is enough blood, push the skin around the puncture so that a large blob of blood comes out, to ensure there is enough of a sample for the bg meter to measure readings off.

Always use the same brand of blood glucose meter throughout the test. Different makes give different readings. BG meters aren't exactly known to be very accurate, for variances of 20% are normal. But if you are using the same brand and make, at least the precision isn't going to vary much.

Here are the baseline data points for both the lower and higher limits of the blood glucose curve, for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5th hour:

Lo: 4.4, 6.7, 4.7, 4.3, 4.3, 4.4
Hi: 4.4, 8.6, 6.7, 6.4, 6.4, 6.4

These were values used by my naturopathic physician. It works well enough for me.
Thanks Yerrag. I will keep all these tips in mind as I proceed, and I will update this thread with results and/or insights.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

For the past four or so days, my meals have mostly featured berries, meat, and honey. Not the most exciting diet I know, but it has allowed my blood sugars to slowly come down from ~150 mg/dL to ~100 mg/dL. I’ve also been taking low dose B vitamins, aspirin, and two drops pyrucet with each meal. Today, I woke up with a fasting glucose of 93, which is the lowest number I’ve seen all week. That is, until tonight...

Earlier today at Costco, I saw they had a new selection of summer fruits: peaches, honeydew melon, green grapes. They sounded delicious, so I bought some and had a big fruit salad with my bunless bison cheeseburgers for dinner. I took my B’s aspirin pyrucet, went on a walk, and came home. I checked my blood sugar, expecting to see 120 or so, and was shocked by the number: 66 mg/dL.

This nears the medical definition of reactive hypoglycemia, which is under 60 within four hours of eating. I have a few questions:

-is this number necessarily a bad sign? I mean, could the extra low number indicate that my body processed the high sugar meal? Especially with the walk, could this indicate improved glucose utilization?

-what do you think caused this dip? Is it a sugar crash?

-this meal had much more potassium than my recent berry meals. How much of a role, and what role, do you think potassium played in this blood sugar dip?

I find this article relevant. It discusses how low potassium levels lead to low insulin secretion, and therefore higher blood glucose levels: Potassium and risk of Type 2 diabetes

Thanks.

yerrag

Yes, fortunate to have so many knowledgeable and thoughtful people contributing!
I forgot to mention that maltose is very gooey. You'll struggle to get it off the container. Use a teaspoon with a sturdy neck.

I suggest that after weighing the amount in a cup, to pour warm-to-hot water into the cup to melt the sugar into a solution, so it would be easy to drink. Otherwise, it will take time to finish licking off the gooey stuff.

So it's easy to weigh the right amount of 70g, put the cup and spoon in the weighing scale and tare it to zero. Then proceed to transfer 70g of maltose into the cup with the spoon. This way, you will have 70g of maltose in the cup with the spoon easily weighed in. Then put hot water and stir into a uniform solution. Then you can drink this.

Your 0 time will be before you drink the solution. Then start the clock after you finish drinking the solution, not taking too long to drink it.

I think that should cover everything. For now.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I forgot to mention that maltose is very gooey. You'll struggle to get it off the container. Use a teaspoon with a sturdy neck.

I suggest that after weighing the amount in a cup, to pour warm-to-hot water into the cup to melt the sugar into a solution, so it would be easy to drink. Otherwise, it will take time to finish licking off the gooey stuff.

So it's easy to weigh the right amount of 70g, put the cup and spoon in the weighing scale and tare it to zero. Then proceed to transfer 70g of maltose into the cup with the spoon. This way, you will have 70g of maltose in the cup with the spoon easily weighed in. Then put hot water and stir into a uniform solution. Then you can drink this.

Your 0 time will be before you drink the solution. Then start the clock after you finish drinking the solution, not taking too long to drink it.

I think that should cover everything. For now.
Ah, great idea with the warm water and pre-weighing with the spoon. Thinking about this experiment has me excited.

yerrag

30% lower from quitting dairy? No surprises here

Do you drink milk @yerrag
I do, but it's limited to 1 glass a day of whole milk and evaporated milk for my coffee.

I get calcium also from eggshell powder as well as from cooked green leaves.

Jing

In my experience, your body can relearn how to oxidize sugar on a dime. In an instant. You do want to be a little careful with dosing something that suppresses free fatty acids or fatty acid oxidation. For your comfort, always start small and build. But Haidut has said many times that nothing can completely turn it off. Your body will oxidize fats if it needs to in order to survive.

Here's how it works. Let's say you're fighting cancer, and the cancer wants to oxidize fatty acids. It's a big tumor or it's in many places and it's fighting you hard.

A few drops of Pyrucet [the dose will depend on the person] and you will be oxidizing glucose. You know you're oxidizing glucose because you suddenly are able to breathe again and have energy to move around.

Those drops wear off and you're suddenly in pain again and gasping for air. You can't even speak a complete sentence because you run out of air. You apply a few more drops to your wrist and you're breathing and moving around again. I had cancer in my brain and a huge tumor in my sinuses fighting to oxidize fatty acids and Pyrucet instantly made me able to oxidize sugar again.

The key to avoiding hypoxia is giving yourself sugar to oxidize. If you take Pyrucet without orange juice you just keep oxidizing fats, but I don't even know how you take Pyrucet without sugar. If you've been sick and relying on fatty acid oxidation and take Pyrucet, you will be looking for any sugar in the house. There will be no doubt you want lots of sugar.

Same thing with niacinamide. You will want sugar if you take a dose effective for reducing free fatty acids. I took a 1500 mg time-release niacinamide pill and was chugging OJ and sugared milk non-stop for seven hours. I wasn't fantasizing about cheeseburgers.
But it reduced free fatty acids to the point where I had to cut my thyroid dose in half and started losing weight, even as I was increasing calories.
Hmm this makes me want to try pyrucet, I never crave sugar.

Yes, fortunate to have so many knowledgeable and thoughtful people contributing!
I agree! So many intelligent and
For the past four or so days, my meals have mostly featured berries, meat, and honey. Not the most exciting diet I know, but it has allowed my blood sugars to slowly come down from ~150 mg/dL to ~100 mg/dL. I’ve also been taking low dose B vitamins, aspirin, and two drops pyrucet with each meal. Today, I woke up with a fasting glucose of 93, which is the lowest number I’ve seen all week. That is, until tonight...

Earlier today at Costco, I saw they had a new selection of summer fruits: peaches, honeydew melon, green grapes. They sounded delicious, so I bought some and had a big fruit salad with my bunless bison cheeseburgers for dinner. I took my B’s aspirin pyrucet, went on a walk, and came home. I checked my blood sugar, expecting to see 120 or so, and by the number: 66 mg/dL.

This nears the medical definition of reactive hypoglycemia, which is under 60 within four hours of eating. I have a few questions:

-is this number necessarily a bad sign? I mean, could the extra low number indicate that my body processed the high sugar meal? Especially with the walk, could this indicate improved glucose utilization?

-what do you think caused this dip? Is it a sugar crash?

-this meal had much more potassium than my recent berry meals. How much of a role, and what role, do you think potassium played in this blood sugar dip?

I find this article relevant. It discusses how low potassium levels lead to low insulin secretion, and therefore higher blood glucose levels: Potassium and risk of Type 2 diabetes

Thanks.
That is what happened with my sister! That is exciting to hear! The protein fruit combo really dropped her numbers! My sister only had hers wprriedly low that one time. I don't think it is a bad sign, my sisters stabled out on a more regular basis, but she also doesn't take any suppliments. What is the function of pyrucet?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I agree! So many intelligent and

That is what happened with my sister! That is exciting to hear! The protein fruit combo really dropped her numbers! My sister only had hers wprriedly low that one time. I don't think it is a bad sign, my sisters stabled out on a more regular basis, but she also doesn't take any suppliments. What is the function of pyrucet?
I use pyrucet, along with aspirin and the B's, to inhibit fatty acid oxidation and help my body use glucose for fuel. I did some research around the forum for effective blood sugar tools, and user aquaman found pyrucet to control blood glucose spikes after meals. I've found the same and have just used low doses.

I use pyrucet, along with aspirin and the B's, to inhibit fatty acid oxidation and help my body use glucose for fuel. I did some research around the forum for effective blood sugar tools, and user aquaman found pyrucet to control blood glucose spikes after meals. I've found the same and have just used low doses.
Maybe with the new meal pairings you fon't need it. It would make sense that that pyrucet is boosting something that now doesn't need the boost could be what sent you low this fast.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Maybe with the new meal pairings you fon't need it. It would make sense that that pyrucet is boosting something that now doesn't need the boost could be what sent you low this fast.
That's a great point. I'll see if the post-meal drop keeps up, and if it does, the pyrucet will be the first one out. I think potassium made a big positive difference last night.

That's a great point. I'll see if the post-meal drop keeps up, and if it does, the pyrucet will be the first one out. I think potassium made a big positive difference last night.
Are you feeling more positive that you can get this thing reversed?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Are you feeling more positive that you can get this thing reversed?
I definitely am. Having a blood glucose monitor makes a world of difference because I don't have to guess and assume how blood sugar connects to my issues. I can foresee this glucometer as a tool in my toolbox for a while to come, until I'm more stable. Until a few days ago, I thought blood sugar issues were the cause of my hot flashes. I think my hot flashes must have a different cause -- poor digestion, or some miscalculation with my thyroid supplementation perhaps.

I definitely am. Having a blood glucose monitor makes a world of difference because I don't have to guess and assume how blood sugar connects to my issues. I can foresee this glucometer as a tool in my toolbox for a while to come, until I'm more stable. Until a few days ago, I thought blood sugar issues were the cause of my hot flashes. I think my hot flashes must have a different cause -- poor digestion, or some miscalculation with my thyroid supplementation perhaps.
Have the hot flashes gone away?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Have the hot flashes gone away?
No, they haven't, and they occur at all blood glucose levels--low, high, normal. I think I might be taking too much T4 in relation to T3, so I'm going to try tweaking the ratios. It also might be histamine, like you said, but from a lot of the stuff I've read, histamine issues seem to improve when people improve their digestion and overall metabolism.

No, they haven't, and they occur at all blood glucose levels--low, high, normal. I think I might be taking too much T4 in relation to T3, so I'm going to try tweaking the ratios. It also might be histamine, like you said, but from a lot of the stuff I've read, histamine issues seem to improve when people improve their digestion and overall metabolism.
I and my son have histamine issues and they don't resolve that quickly if you have histamine intolerance.

Peater

Has anyone mentioned Ray's experience with brewer's yeast for his father's diabetes yet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals