Blood Glucose - High Carb/Low Fat

incrp

Insulin is a far second.

It's potassium.

Interesting paper but what are you saying. Your linked paper only mentions potassium in the "during the hyperglycaemic phase when the hyperglycaemic induced osmotic diuresis leads to thirst and polyuria" section and it is talking about diabetics and here the sodium losses are 30 times greater than potassium so would consider more important.

If you are answering "I understand to be directly involved in making sugar absorbed in my tissues? I am thinking you are talking about insulin ushering sugar into the cell"

Then insulin is not required to get glucose into the cells from the paper

"This cannot be reconciled with the concept that
insulin is required for glucose uptake by insulin-sensitive
tissues. Indeed it proves beyond question that insulin is not
required. We now know the detailed mechanisms involved
and can explain this. Glucose uptake by all cells is by means
of a specic transport protein (glucose transporter) of which
at least six isomers (Glut 1 to Glut 6) are known"

but I don't understand your reference to potassium can you explain please.

curing type 2 requires a high carb low fat diet, AND an inhibitor of lipolysis. Sometimes niacinamide is enough but often Pyrocet is needed. It works very well. Over a few months, blood sugar will normalize.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

I when it comes to weight Im T1D and Ive found it can fluctuate a lot based on BG levels and diet. More so than for healthy people. Its not unthinkable that going from very low to high carb could add 10 pounds of water- and glycogen weight for a diabetic in my experience.
Hi Sven,
Actually, I lost 10 lbs very easily the month I was adding sugar and fruit in abundance. I felt good too, but my BG readings were double what they had been before, actually spiking over 500. I had rarely gone over 250 post prandial before adding the sugar/fruit.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

curing type 2 requires a high carb low fat diet, AND an inhibitor of lipolysis. Sometimes niacinamide is enough but often Pyrocet is needed. It works very well. Over a few months, blood sugar will normalize.
Ok great. I was looking at the Pyrucet by Idea Labs.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

You want to stay with the fruit sugar, not complex carbs because the fructose lowers the insulin response of the glucose and has higher potency of releasing energy as glycogen than glucose does, so fructose increase thermogenisis, body temperature and supports a higher metabolism that is needed against the condition of obesity. When you take in enough fruit sugars you inhibit the release of tissue free fatty acids.

Metformin can help shift away from fat burning to glucose utilisation via the randle cycle, but eventually it will poison the mitochondria.
Berberine is like metformin it activates glycolysis and releases lactate. But instead you want to support oxidative metabolism of the mitochondria said Dr. Peat.

“Glycolysis is very inefficient for producing usable energy compared to the respiratory metabolism of the mitochondria, and when lactate is carried to the liver, its conversion to glucose adds to the energy drain on the organism.” -Ray Peat, PhD Comparison: Oxidative Metabolism v. Glycolytic Metabolism – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Am J Clin Nutr 1993 Nov;58(5 Suppl):766S-770S. Fructose and dietary thermogenesis. Tappy L, Jequier E. “Fructose ingestion induces a greater thermogenesis than does glucose. This can be explained by the hydrolysis of 3.5-4.5 mol ATP/mol fructose stored as glycogen, vs 2.5 mol ATP/mol glucose stored. Therefore the large thermogenesis of fructose corresponds essentially to an increase in obligatory thermogenesis. Obese individuals and obese patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus commonly have a decrease in glucose-induced thermogenesis. These individuals in contrast display a normal thermogenesis after ingestion of fructose. This may be explained by the fact that the initial hepatic fructose metabolism is independent of insulin.”

Drugs 1999;58 Suppl 1:31-9; discussion 75-82. The antihyperglycaemic effect of metformin: therapeutic and cellular mechanisms. Wiernsperger NF, Bailey CJ “Other effects involved in the blood
glucose-lowering effect of metformin include an insulin-independent suppression of fatty acid oxidation and a reduction in hypertriglyceridaemia. These effects reduce the energy supply for gluconeogenesis and serve to balance the glucose-fatty acid (Randle) cycle.” Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ly_of_AMP-Activated_Protein_Kinase_Activation

edit

If diabetes means that cells can’t absorb or metabolize glucose, then any cellular function that requires glucose will be impaired, despite the presence of glucose in the blood. It is the intracellular absence of glucose which is problematic, rather than its extracellular excess.”

“The competition between fatty acids and glucose, which has been called the “Randle cycle” for about 50 years, can be applied to the treatment of diabetes and other degenerative/stress problems by adjusting the diet, or by using supplements such as niacinamide and aspirin, which improve glucose oxidation by lowering the free fatty acids in the serum.” The Randle Cycle (Glucose-Fatty Acid Cycle) – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
This is super helpful. I have Berberine and now feel more convicted to take it regularly. I feel more confident going back to the fruit now. I weighed myself yesterday and had lost 3 more lbs. Staying low fat, while eating carbs liberally has made a shift for my ability to start losing weight. I will go with aspirin, niacinamide, berberine, I am thinking of Pyrucet now too.

5mg of biotin twice a day is also very helpful. And collagen twice a day. Both can drastically cut down on blood sugar spikes.

PeskyPeater

This is super helpful. I have Berberine and now feel more convicted to take it regularly. I feel more confident going back to the fruit now. I weighed myself yesterday and had lost 3 more lbs. Staying low fat, while eating carbs liberally has made a shift for my ability to start losing weight. I will go with aspirin, niacinamide, berberine, I am thinking of Pyrucet now too.
I'm glad you feel more confident about that!

But I think you misunderstood the issue with berberine and how it works actually against you. It does lower glucose from the blood but it does this in a way that is not efficient and increases lactic acid and this process is wasting energy, called Glycolysis. It fully blocks the activity of respiratory chain complex I of the electron transport chain like metformin, and this poisons the mitochondria. You only want to mildly inhibit this Complex I as aspirin does and the youth hormones with effect that the other complexes will get a boost and improve oxidative metabolism in the MitO.

So I recommend against berberine , it is counter productive to the other hormonal supplements you are taking.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

I'm glad you feel more confident about that!

But I think you misunderstood the issue with berberine and how it works actually against you. It does lower glucose from the blood but it does this in a way that is not efficient and increases lactic acid and this process is wasting energy, called Glycolysis. It fully blocks the activity of respiratory chain complex I of the electron transport chain like metformin, and this poisons the mitochondria. You only want to mildly inhibit this Complex I as aspirin does and the youth hormones with effect that the other complexes will get a boost and improve oxidative metabolism in the MitO.

So I recommend against berberine , it is counter productive to the other hormonal supplements you are taking.
Ohhh, thank you so much for clarifying! Ok, got it.

yerrag

Interesting paper but what are you saying. Your linked paper only mentions potassium in the "during the hyperglycaemic phase when the hyperglycaemic induced osmotic diuresis leads to thirst and polyuria" section and it is talking about diabetics and here the sodium losses are 30 times greater than potassium so would consider more important.

If you are answering "I understand to be directly involved in making sugar absorbed in my tissues? I am thinking you are talking about insulin ushering sugar into the cell"

Then insulin is not required to get glucose into the cells from the paper

"This cannot be reconciled with the concept that
insulin is required for glucose uptake by insulin-sensitive
tissues. Indeed it proves beyond question that insulin is not
required. We now know the detailed mechanisms involved
and can explain this. Glucose uptake by all cells is by means
of a specic transport protein (glucose transporter) of which
at least six isomers (Glut 1 to Glut 6) are known"

but I don't understand your reference to potassium can you explain please.
Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context :

Insulin is important in the regulation of blood sugar, but its importance has been exaggerated because of the diabetes/insulin industry. Insulin itself has been found to account for only about 8% of the "insulin-like activity" of the blood, with potassium being probably the largest factor. There probably isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar.

---------
Sorry, the article I shared didn't talk much about potassium. Ray Peat's article doesn't expound on it much either. I'll have to look for more references that discuss potassium's role bit for now this is all I can find.

My PC is down so that limits my search to using a smartphone.

Sitaruîm

Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context :

Insulin is important in the regulation of blood sugar, but its importance has been exaggerated because of the diabetes/insulin industry. Insulin itself has been found to account for only about 8% of the "insulin-like activity" of the blood, with potassium being probably the largest factor. There probably isn't any process in the body that doesn't potentially affect blood sugar.

---------
Sorry, the article I shared didn't talk much about potassium. Ray Peat's article doesn't expound on it much either. I'll have to look for more references that discuss potassium's role bit for now this is all I can find.

My PC is down so that limits my search to using a smartphone.
According to the article, insulin doesn't promote glucose oxidation and utilization, but it reduces the rate at which the liver excretes glucose into the blood, which results in a gradual lowering of blood glucose. The only mediator of glucose utilization is blood glucose levels according to the article, interesting perspective.

yerrag

According to the article, insulin doesn't promote glucose oxidation and utilization, but it reduces the rate at which the liver excretes glucose into the blood, which results in a gradual lowering of blood glucose. The only mediator of glucose utilization is blood glucose levels according to the article, interesting perspective.
It is certainly interesting.

But what determines blood glucose levels? Insulin as a regulator of the many metabolic processes affecting blood glucose levels.

But insulin simply as a regulator. It should not to be taken to mean it is the sole regulator, as many other factors affect these metabolic processes.

For example, insulin being low and glucagon being high can signal the liver to convert glycogen to glucose, but if the liver is filled with fats and has no room to store glycogen, then blood glucose levels will not be boosted by additional glucose and so blood glucose levels will stay low or become even lower with this failure to execute.

J

James IV

If you have developed Diabetes Mellitus, you are going to be using primarily fat for energy (respiratory quotient of about .05- .07) no matter what your dietary intake looks like. Even if you eat zero fat you will continue to burn fat until you “empty” the stored energy from your cells enough that the concentration in the cells is less than the concentration in the blood. This is how energy always travels, from “full tanks” to “empty tanks” if you will.
To accomplish this, you have to expend more energy than you consume through food. CICO is an oversimplified concept, but the basic premise is sound.
Any of the approaches that rely on macro elimination essentially work this way, via wasting of dietary energy usage from inefficiency, and loss of energy through excretion. Rarely will macro elimination approaches allow you to reach and maintain a healthy level of bodyfat, as ultimately, we need all the macros to some degree to function optimally.
I would suggest you frame your focus on depleting the energy you have accumulated while taking in food that has high nutrition to energy ratio. Most single ingredient foods, prepared properly, will fall into this category. If you are eating primarily these types of foods, you should not have to make much effort to limit energy intake. Protein intake will be of higher importance when tapping into energy stores, as proteins help transport energy across the cell membrane, whether that energy is dietary, or stored, so be conscious of that.
Depletion of stored cellular energy occurs somewhat mechanically, so a focus on exercise that recruits as many body parts as possible, in dynamic ways, is going to be more effective than repetitive, static, movements like walking, although walking outdoors is an excellent activity for reasons outside out energy depletion. A weight training routine (I recommend joining a gym over home training) is the easiest way to accomplish total body mechanical energy depletion if you have a non dynamic labor job.

You will not always feel great mentally or physically when utilizing stored energy, no matter how much energy you have accumulated. It’s just the way the energy system works. You will need some discipline and perseverance, since in a modern world we have removed the natural factors that kept us at a healthy fat level, caloric scarcity and physical activity as a survival requirement. Don’t push yourself too hard.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

If you have developed Diabetes Mellitus, you are going to be using primarily fat for energy (respiratory quotient of about .05- .07) no matter what your dietary intake looks like. Even if you eat zero fat you will continue to burn fat until you “empty” the stored energy from your cells enough that the concentration in the cells is less than the concentration in the blood. This is how energy always travels, from “full tanks” to “empty tanks” if you will.
To accomplish this, you have to expend more energy than you consume through food. CICO is an oversimplified concept, but the basic premise is sound.
Any of the approaches that rely on macro elimination essentially work this way, via wasting of dietary energy usage from inefficiency, and loss of energy through excretion. Rarely will macro elimination approaches allow you to reach and maintain a healthy level of bodyfat, as ultimately, we need all the macros to some degree to function optimally.
I would suggest you frame your focus on depleting the energy you have accumulated while taking in food that has high nutrition to energy ratio. Most single ingredient foods, prepared properly, will fall into this category. If you are eating primarily these types of foods, you should not have to make much effort to limit energy intake. Protein intake will be of higher importance when tapping into energy stores, as proteins help transport energy across the cell membrane, whether that energy is dietary, or stored, so be conscious of that.
Depletion of stored cellular energy occurs somewhat mechanically, so a focus on exercise that recruits as many body parts as possible, in dynamic ways, is going to be more effective than repetitive, static, movements like walking, although walking outdoors is an excellent activity for reasons outside out energy depletion. A weight training routine (I recommend joining a gym over home training) is the easiest way to accomplish total body mechanical energy depletion if you have a non dynamic labor job.

You will not always feel great mentally or physically when utilizing stored energy, no matter how much energy you have accumulated. It’s just the way the energy system works. You will need some discipline and perseverance, since in a modern world we have removed the natural factors that kept us at a healthy fat level, caloric scarcity and physical activity as a survival requirement. Don’t push yourself too hard.
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to share this info. I am curious about "most single ingredient foods, prepared properly..." I am under the impression that through the Randle Cycle that the fats compete for the insulin receptor sites. You are saying fat foods, like avocado or full fat dairy, eaten alone will be beneficial? I never heard this before.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
This is an interesting thread you might want to look at:

OP
Katelove

Katelove

This is an interesting thread you might want to look at:

Thank you. I have followed her on Instagram. I appreciate the post.

J

James IV

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to share this info. I am curious about "most single ingredient foods, prepared properly..." I am under the impression that through the Randle Cycle that the fats compete for the insulin receptor sites. You are saying fat foods, like avocado or full fat dairy, eaten alone will be beneficial? I never heard this before.
Hi. You’re welcome.
I’m not implying that I know what foods you should eat. Ive been working with people many years, and I have learned not to do that.
I’m just telling you what I do know from observing, studying, and applying, nutrition and physiology with real people;

When you have developed “diabetes” via maxing out your body’s storage capacity, ie, you are at, or close to, your capacity for total bodyfat production, your daily energy needs will be primarily met by stored fat, regardless of your dietary intake. This is a protective mechanism to try and “free up” fat cells for storage, since storage is the primary way your system protects itself from energy toxicity. This is the reason your blood sugar is very high when you eat carbs, as they are only being used in small quantities compared to your fat stores, so they remain in the blood stream.

Your dietary macronutrient choices are somewhat unimportant, but you should try to eat foods you enjoy. Focusing on foods that are denser in micronutrition, and lower in energy nutrition, would be most beneficial for reducing fat stores, as the nutrition will still be needed for the detoxification processes that occur when creating energy. Stored energy can contain the same toxins as consumed energy, so “burning” bodyfat is not that much different than eating the foods that created the fat accumulation.

A focus on leaner proteins, fruits, and seeded vegetables, would provide the most nutrition/volume, with the lowest energy density. If choosing starches, things like roots, tubers, and sprouted legumes/grains would also be better for energy to volume ratios. I don’t believe in denying the body food, only choosing food that naturally lowers energy intake.

You may see minor advantages in minutia; like macro splits, randle cycle manipulation, calcium/phosphate ratios, simple vs complex carbohydrates, etc, and these may become more pronounced as you get closer to a healthy level of bodyfat. But ultimately you have to use bodyfat to lower bodyfat levels.

I hope I didn’t confuse you more. Cheers.

Edit* Also, I cannot emphasize enough the benefits of casual, total body resistance training. Go move some weights around, in a calm
and controlled manor. No grunting and groaning required.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Katelove

Katelove

Hi. You’re welcome.
I’m not implying that I know what foods you should eat. Ive been working with people many years, and I have learned not to do that.
I’m just telling you what I do know from observing, studying, and applying, nutrition and physiology with real people;

When you have developed “diabetes” via maxing out your body’s storage capacity, ie, you are at, or close to, your capacity for total bodyfat production, your daily energy needs will be primarily met by stored fat, regardless of your dietary intake. This is a protective mechanism to try and “free up” fat cells for storage, since storage is the primary way your system protects itself from energy toxicity. This is the reason your blood sugar is very high when you eat carbs, as they are only being used in small quantities compared to your fat stores, so they remain in the blood stream.

Your dietary macronutrient choices are somewhat unimportant, but you should try to eat foods you enjoy. Focusing on foods that are denser in micronutrition, and lower in energy nutrition, would be most beneficial for reducing fat stores, as the nutrition will still be needed for the detoxification processes that occur when creating energy. Stored energy can contain the same toxins as consumed energy, so “burning” bodyfat is not that much different than eating the foods that created the fat accumulation.

A focus on leaner proteins, fruits, and seeded vegetables, would provide the most nutrition/volume, with the lowest energy density. If choosing starches, things like roots, tubers, and sprouted legumes/grains would also be better for energy to volume ratios. I don’t believe in denying the body food, only choosing food that naturally lowers energy intake.

You may see minor advantages in minutia; like macro splits, randle cycle manipulation, calcium/phosphate ratios, simple vs complex carbohydrates, etc, and these may become more pronounced as you get closer to a healthy level of bodyfat. But ultimately you have to use bodyfat to lower bodyfat levels.

I hope I didn’t confuse you more. Cheers.

Edit* Also, I cannot emphasize enough the benefits of casual, total body resistance training. Go move some weights around, in a calm
and controlled manor. No grunting and groaning required.
Thank you so much. This is very helpful. Have a great day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals