Lowering High Blood Sugar

Vileplume

I recently got a glucometer, and I noticed that my blood sugar is always high. Not crazy high, but usually between 110-150 mg/dL. Even when I wake up in the morning, fasted, I'm at 115 or so. How can I get my blood sugar below 100?

I did carnivore, keto, and intermittent fasting all of last year before finding Peat, and thus far my blood sugar has not improved since "Peating". I seem to be very sensitive to carbs, but maybe I'm eating too much of them. For example, some of my meals contain 80-100 grams of carbs, in the form of honey, fruit, and milk. Usually the protein is around 25-35 grams per meal.

I'm thinking some of the following might help:

-limiting carb intake per meal to around 60g
-eating four or five meals per day, instead of three
-taking small doses of B1, B3, B7, aspirin, and pyrucet (2 drops) with each meal
-raising protein intake
-ensuring enough potassium, magnesium, and calcium
-limiting liquids

Any other ideas? What worked for you in lowering your blood sugar?

Thanks.

I recently got a glucometer, and I noticed that my blood sugar is always high. Not crazy high, but usually between 110-150 mg/dL. Even when I wake up in the morning, fasted, I'm at 115 or so. How can I get my blood sugar below 100?

I did carnivore, keto, and intermittent fasting all of last year before finding Peat, and thus far my blood sugar has not improved since "Peating". I seem to be very sensitive to carbs, but maybe I'm eating too much of them. For example, some of my meals contain 80-100 grams of carbs, in the form of honey, fruit, and milk. Usually the protein is around 25-35 grams per meal.

-taking small doses of B1, B3, B7, aspirin, and pyrucet (2 drops) with each meal
-raising protein intake
-limiting liquids

Thanks.
When my sister got a blood glucose meter we tested a variety of foods and all grains were off the chart!

-raising protein intake
-limiting liquids

Thanks.
"In the 1970s, dietitians began talking about the value of including "complex carbohydrates" in the diet. Many dietitians (all but one of the Registered Dietitians that I knew of) claimed that starches were more slowly absorbed than sugars, and so should be less disruptive to the blood sugar and insulin levels. People were told to eat whole grains and legumes, and to avoid fruit juices.
These recommendations, and their supporting ideology, are still rampant in the culture of the United States, fostered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association and innumerable university departments of home economics, dietetics, or nutrition.
Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: “Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.”
The Dietetic Association's association with General Mills, the breakfast cereal empire, (and Kellog, Nabisco, and many other food industry giants) might have something to do with their starchy opinions. Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage, but major money can also make people say stupid things."-Ray Peat

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

"In the 1970s, dietitians began talking about the value of including "complex carbohydrates" in the diet. Many dietitians (all but one of the Registered Dietitians that I knew of) claimed that starches were more slowly absorbed than sugars, and so should be less disruptive to the blood sugar and insulin levels. People were told to eat whole grains and legumes, and to avoid fruit juices.
These recommendations, and their supporting ideology, are still rampant in the culture of the United States, fostered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association and innumerable university departments of home economics, dietetics, or nutrition.
Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: “Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.”
The Dietetic Association's association with General Mills, the breakfast cereal empire, (and Kellog, Nabisco, and many other food industry giants) might have something to do with their starchy opinions. Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage, but major money can also make people say stupid things."-Ray Peat

Thank you for these posts, Rinse. Even though starches do give me hyperglycemic symptoms like thirst, I still developed several hyperglycemic symptoms while avoiding starches over the past 6-7 months. I think the amount of sugar and fruit consumed in a meal plays a big role as well, and I’ve read from several forum members that too much juice or liquids causes blood sugar problems. Perhaps keeping fruits center-stage, but altering the macro ratios would help. Plus making sure the fruits are easily digestible (cooked if necessary).

Thank you for these posts, Rinse. Even though starches do give me hyperglycemic symptoms like thirst, I still developed several hyperglycemic symptoms while avoiding starches over the past 6-7 months. I think the amount of sugar and fruit consumed in a meal plays a big role as well, and I’ve read from several forum members that too much juice or liquids causes blood sugar problems. Perhaps keeping fruits center-stage, but altering the macro ratios would help. Plus making sure the fruits are easily digestible (cooked if necessary).
That is exactly right! When my sister and I did all of our meter testing the protein fruit meals produced the best numbers, but to your point it sometimes made her blood sugar too low, almost to passing out one time. We were seriously dhovelingbin chocolate and it was barely pulling her out of it! So berries were not enough sugar balance protein. Cheese teally needed some help from sugar. Liquids make digestion tough, so I try to get all my liquids in, like milk, during the day and I don't even drink water.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

That is exactly right! When my sister and I did all of our meter testing the protein fruit meals produced the best numbers, but to your point it sometimes made her blood sugar too low, almost to passing out one time. We were seriously dhovelingbin chocolate and it was barely pulling her out of it! So berries were not enough sugar balance protein. Cheese teally needed some help from sugar. Liquids make digestion tough, so I try to get all my liquids in, like milk, during the day and I don't even drink water.
So, not to oversimplify things, but it sounds like if someone has prediabetic tendencies, with chronically high blood sugar, increasing the protein, vitamins, and minerals might be beneficial. Whereas someone with low blood sugar, increasing sugar should be the focus. What do you think?

So, not to oversimplify things, but it sounds like if someone has prediabetic tendencies, with chronically high blood sugar, increasing the protein, vitamins, and minerals might be beneficial. Whereas someone with low blood sugar, increasing sugar should be the focus. What do you think?
I am not an expert in hypoglycemic, but
your summation sounds about right to me. Both scenerios need to be mindful of pairing proteins and sugars, but probably eggs and cheeses i would think would drop blood sugar levels to a problematic point for someone with low blood sugar. Keeping both steady is the key, so in my "opinion" adding plenty of fats with a protein sugar meal would be more beneficial than a starch. That is what we did with my sister. We documented everything she ate and her numbers, and her nurse was amazed. The same nurse that handed her the hospital dietary sheets telling her to eat Special K and other grains. We tested them it was a joke! Her numbers were the worst with grains. Coincidentally not eating what the doctor said and pairing foods the way "Peat' suggests had my sister take off 17 pounds the last 3 months of her pregnancy and get her out of her borderline diabetic position.

I am not an expert in hypoglycemic, but
your summation sounds about right to me. Both scenerios need to be mindful of pairing proteins and sugars, but probably eggs and cheeses i would think would drop blood sugar levels to a problematic point for someone with low blood sugar. Keeping both steady is the key, so in my "opinion" adding plenty of fats with a protein sugar meal would be more beneficial than a starch. That is what we did with my sister. We documented everything she ate and her numbers, and her nurse was amazed. The same nurse that handed her the hospital dietary sheets telling her to eat Special K and other grains. We tested them it was a joke! Her numbers were the worst with grains. Coincidentally not eating what the doctor said and pairing foods the way "Peat' suggests had my sister take off 17 pounds the last 3 months of her pregnancy and get her out of her borderline diabetic position.
Also raw honey and "some" less sugary fruits are far better for someone pre-diabetic that white sugar, especially honey. Honey/glucose is a steadier form of sugar energy than sucrose or fructose, not giving quick spikes and drops. Someone hypoglycemic could probably use all 3 sources.

Here is a little piece of your puzzle I found in a Ray Peat article I was reading Vilplume!

"Drinking plain water can cause an extreme rise in blood pressure, especially in old people,"

Interestingly, I am on the lower scale where blood pressure is concerned, but my heart gets beating fast and hard when I drink water especially at night? ?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Here is a little piece of your puzzle I found in a Ray Peat article I was reading Vilplume!

"Drinking plain water can cause an extreme rise in blood pressure, especially in old people,"

Interestingly, I am on the lower scale where blood pressure is concerned, but my heart gets beating fast and hard when I drink water especially at night? ?
Interesting! Thanks for sharing this. Opposite from you, I have high blood pressure and tachycardia too, which I think are common in prediabetic people.

Do you notice the same fast beating with night drinking of other liquids, like OJ and milk? Do you think that your body handles liquids better during the day because your body temperature and metabolism are higher, causing more evaporation?

While too many liquids, OJ or milk or water or soda, at once, causes my hot flashes and blood sugar symptoms to worsen, some of my best blood sugar days have been the days where I drank a decent amount of OJ. Perhaps the key is drinking it slowly, spacing it out. Or maybe the potassium is what’s helping. Orrrr maybe my protein intake affects it. Or maybe poor digestion of other foods, and the OJ isn’t a problem at all. Still can’t figure out why OJ helps sometimes, but hurts other times. Hmmmm

Chophouse360

Some meters that are cheap run high. If you have a good meter and those are your numbers you could have pre-diabetes....

-raising protein intake
-limiting liquids

Thanks.

Chophouse360

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this. Opposite from you, I have high blood pressure and tachycardia too, which I think are common in prediabetic people.

Do you notice the same fast beating with night drinking of other liquids, like OJ and milk? Do you think that your body handles liquids better during the day because your body temperature and metabolism are higher, causing more evaporation?

While too many liquids, OJ or milk or water or soda, at once, causes my hot flashes and blood sugar symptoms to worsen, some of my best blood sugar days have been the days where I drank a decent amount of OJ. Perhaps the key is drinking it slowly, spacing it out. Or maybe the potassium is what’s helping. Orrrr maybe my protein intake affects it. Or maybe poor digestion of other foods, and the OJ isn’t a problem at all. Still can’t figure out why OJ helps sometimes, but hurts other times. Hmmmm
Take a blood sugar supplement.....cinnamon....plenty of fiber. Lose weight if you need to etc. lift heavy.

Yeah I don't know why water, and now that you mention it, milk make my heart beat out of my chest only at night. I have no problems with sugary drinks at night like Mexican Coke or orange juice. Even if wake up in the middle of the night and drink a bunch of water my heart races, so I do like you said, just sip it. Well we answered some questions just to create more questions. I hope we are getting closer to something ?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Take a blood sugar supplement.....cinnamon....plenty of fiber. Lose weight if you need to etc. lift heavy.
Thank you. Unfortunately I think it is prediabetes because I have a few other related symptoms, I generally don’t feel too good, and my doctor’s office tests also found my fasting blood sugar above 100 twice in a row.

I didn’t know about cinnamon as beneficial for blood sugar, thanks. I think fiber would help too, and I’ve recently started lifting again. I think smaller frequent meals will help too.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yeah I don't know why water, and now that you mention it, milk make my heart beat out of my chest only at night. I have no problems with sugary drinks at night like Mexican Coke or orange juice. Even if wake up in the middle of the night and drink a bunch of water my heart races, so I do like you said, just sip it. Well we answered some questions just to create more questions. I hope we are getting closer to something ?
Good to know! We are getting closer, and I will figure this out one day and report back. I appreciate all the help, as always. Please feel free to share any future items that you find relevant.

Ledo

-raising protein intake
-limiting liquids

Thanks.
progesterone should help alot, 10 -12 mg if a male. Normalize carbs lower in divided meals. Mixed meals P,F,C. Early to bed. 10 pm. Get full body sun, 10 min a side. Get sun in the face in the morning. Experiment with co2 from a gas canister. Fill bed under semi impermeable blankets, sheets,...tucked in so it holds some gas.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

progesterone should help alot, 10 -12 mg if a male. Normalize carbs lower in divided meals. Mixed meals P,F,C. Early to bed. 10 pm. Get full body sun, 10 min a side. Get sun in the face in the morning. Experiment with co2 from a gas canister. Fill bed under semi impermeable blankets, sheets,...tucked in so it holds some gas.
Thank you. Do you think OJ would be helpful too, or the liquid detrimental?

Ledo

Bug Peat about how to improve mitochondrial function, something he doesn't like to talk about and usually focuses on getting beta cells back with low pufa

My girlfriend is pre-diabetic with high morning numbers too and when I convinced her to try honeycomb she trusted and tried it at bedtime, and was amazed that her waking number was 10 points lower than normal. Here is her text to me. She has been using it ever since with her coffee and to balance her protein meals. You might think about giving it a try.

Attachments

• 20210526_183057.jpg
    20210526_183057.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 91

Ledo

Thank you. Do you think OJ would be helpful too, or the liquid detrimental?
6 ounces sipped over a meal without iron (meat) as part of the carbohydrate should be good, but check BS quickly after to get a feel for what the whole curve looks like (over time). You will have to develop a profile for foods and food combinations if you want to do thjis. You will need to associate with lifestyle factors to know what you can get away with. Are you lean, spilling fatty acids, easily upset...that kind of stuff.

Squeeze or buy newly pressed OJ. Add oj as you get better at handling it. It will give you positive feedback if you can do that. Come to think of it, I'd try to ascertain where the high morning blood sugar is coming from and if its stress hormones at work or you have insulin insufficiency. Demand side or supply side way of looking at it. Do you lift weights.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals