What Are Symptoms If Not Low Blood Sugar?

raypeatclips

Every now and then I get sudden rush of symptoms, a feeling of slight weakness, shakeyness, anxiety etc. Before I had a glucometer I thought these were symptoms of low blood sugar. Now I have one and very time I treasure when I feel like that my blood sugar is fine, always around 5-5.8. Any idea what it could be?

Diokine

Parasympathetic nervous response blocking utilization of glucose and resultant increase in adrenaline.

J

James IV

What brings them on? Are you losing weight? Have you removed or added any foods from your diet recently? Starch? Milk?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have experienced something similar when I have too much sodium. I keep a little like salt, potassium chloride, around. And I take a pinch and a little water that usually fixes this. Sometimes I also get toe cramps or finger cramps when this happens.

Regina

Parasympathetic nervous response blocking utilization of glucose and resultant increase in adrenaline.
Diokine,
Perhaps you can point to research on what to do about this. I am now taking inosine to reduce adrenaline (N.E.) but would really like to be able to utilize glucose better.

I know there are many threads on the forum discussing this but maybe you can shine more light on it.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

What brings them on? Are you losing weight? Have you removed or added any foods from your diet recently? Starch? Milk?

Diets been pretty consistent with some starch potatoes, rice, meat, vegetables etc.

I think the problem is endotoxin related, the symptoms improve after a bowel movement.

Does anyone know why some bowel movements make me feel awful before passing them? Sweating etc While others there's no issues?

jyb

Every now and then I get sudden rush of symptoms, a feeling of slight weakness, shakeyness, anxiety etc. Before I had a glucometer I thought these were symptoms of low blood sugar. Now I have one and very time I treasure when I feel like that my blood sugar is fine, always around 5-5.8. Any idea what it could be?

From my personal experience, blood glucose is rarely abnormal when I have symptoms. I do think "low blood sugar" issues are very related to an energy deficit (inefficient metabolism) and more likely when hungry, but it's not a drop in glucose that's the problem at least for me.

J

James IV

Diets been pretty consistent with some starch potatoes, rice, meat, vegetables etc.

I think the problem is endotoxin related, the symptoms improve after a bowel movement.

Does anyone know why some bowel movements make me feel awful before passing them? Sweating etc While others there's no issues?

That was going to be my guess. That or a PUFA dump. Some poops contain more toxins than others. These can "leak" into your system depending on the real time state of your colon. This is what makes you feel ill. The adrenaline response is there to try and eliminate the toxins through stimulating the metabolism.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

That was going to be my guess. That or a PUFA dump. Some poops contain more toxins than others. These can "leak" into your system depending on the real time state of your colon. This is what makes you feel ill. The adrenaline response is there to try and eliminate the toxins through stimulating the metabolism.

That sounds exactly right, adrenaline forcing the bowel movement. Do you have any idea how I can solve this problem?

J

James IV

That sounds exactly right, adrenaline forcing the bowel movement. Do you have any idea how I can solve this problem?

It should resolve itself with enough time on a low toxin, non inflammatory diet. If it doesn't, it probably means you are still eating something that isn't digesting well.

J

James IV

Thanks. I have started keeping a food log, do you know roughly how far back the culprit food would be?

That's a tough one. Depends on a lot of variables. Some foods don't become a problem unless you eat them for a while. Some are only a problem when combined with other foods. I'd suspect the vegetables or the starch, if you are not eating very low fat.

Diokine

Elevated endogenous cortisol reduces autonomic neuroendocrine and symptom responses to subsequent hypoglycemia.

Minireview: The Role of the Autonomic Nervous System in Mediating the Glucagon Response to Hypoglycemia

Central insulin and leptin-mediated autonomic control of glucose homeostasis

The role of the autonomic nervous liver innervation in the control of energy metabolism

Neural pathways that control the glucose counterregulatory response

Many of these studies are focused on diabetics, but the ideas should correlate nicely. I would definitely suspect gut issues as a major player in disrupting glucose metabolism, through several mechanisms. Persistent allergenic triggers will also cause nearly the same cascade - look for any issues with the sinus or throat. For me, during a sequence like this I will notice congestion in the left nostril. Getting into bright sunlight, and focusing on breathing with the left nostril (even if only in the mind) is usually very helpful. ~500mg of aspirin and ~1g of glyine in warm water beforehand seems to really potentiate the effect.

Breathing through a particular nostril can alter metabolism and autonomic activities. - PubMed - NCBI

Regina

Elevated endogenous cortisol reduces autonomic neuroendocrine and symptom responses to subsequent hypoglycemia.

Minireview: The Role of the Autonomic Nervous System in Mediating the Glucagon Response to Hypoglycemia

Central insulin and leptin-mediated autonomic control of glucose homeostasis

The role of the autonomic nervous liver innervation in the control of energy metabolism

Neural pathways that control the glucose counterregulatory response

Many of these studies are focused on diabetics, but the ideas should correlate nicely. I would definitely suspect gut issues as a major player in disrupting glucose metabolism, through several mechanisms. Persistent allergenic triggers will also cause nearly the same cascade - look for any issues with the sinus or throat. For me, during a sequence like this I will notice congestion in the left nostril. Getting into bright sunlight, and focusing on breathing with the left nostril (even if only in the mind) is usually very helpful. ~500mg of aspirin and ~1g of glyine in warm water beforehand seems to really potentiate the effect.

Breathing through a particular nostril can alter metabolism and autonomic activities. - PubMed - NCBI
:thumbsup: Thx!!

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

That's a tough one. Depends on a lot of variables. Some foods don't become a problem unless you eat them for a while. Some are only a problem when combined with other foods. I'd suspect the vegetables or the starch, if you are not eating very low fat.

Nope pretty generous with the fat when I eat potatoes etc as per usual Peat recommendation.

One thing new in the diet this morning now I think about it, eaten 10 hours ago. I stewed frozen fruit, various types of melon, grapes etc and ate with yoghurt. Do you think that could be the cause? It's the first time time I've eaten fruit in weeks I think it's obvious that the problem

I reckon I would do better keeping potatoes as my main source of carbs at the moment

J

James IV

Nope pretty generous with the fat when I eat potatoes etc as per usual Peat recommendation.

One thing new in the diet this morning now I think about it, eaten 10 hours ago. I stewed frozen fruit, various types of melon, grapes etc and ate with yoghurt. Do you think that could be the cause? It's the first time time I've eaten fruit in weeks I think it's obvious that the problem

I reckon I would do better keeping potatoes as my main source of carbs at the moment

Could be the fruit for sure, especially if it wasn't fully ripe... or the yogurt.

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

Could be the fruit for sure, especially if it wasn't fully ripe... or the yogurt.

I doubt the ripeness of any fruit in my country I've never thought fruit being shipped to another continent would do it any good. I thought cooking was a way to make fruit more digestible when its quality was questionable. I've eaten the yoghurt a lot recently but maybe the pairing was bad. I've convinced myself as to the benefits of keeping a food log.

Thanks for the replies and talking me through it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals