Blood Glucose - High Carb/Low Fat

Katelove

I have been doing a high carb/low fat diet to address my diabetes. I was testing at a 170 fasting blood glucose for a while and then I added sugar and fruit for about a month. I didn't test during this time. When I tested again I was at a 500 post prandial. My fasting was 330. I have given up the sugary things and am now back to a 230 fasting. It is not going lower than that for over a week. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I have 100 lbs to lose. During that month I lost 10 lbs quite quickly for me. I felt good as well. The high BG scared me off.
I have been pretty sedentary due to my hours at work, sitting at a desk. I just changed my job and will now have more time to walk/hike.
I take metformin, some blood pressure meds, berberine, Vit D, iodine, progestene, cortinon+, Dr. Christopher's Kidney Formula.
I am wondering if the addition of the sugar and fruit contributed to increasing my metabolism, which increased lipolysis, which increased the fatty acids in my blood, which contributed to more insulin resistance...or, considering the weight loss, has it increased my insulin sensitivity? Do I keep going? My instinct is to slow down the sugar and focus on the more complex carbs.
Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
Katelove

Katelove

I am bumping this, since I wrote it at 3 am. I would love some feedback.
Thank you.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Maybe look into Karen Hurd and her bean protocol. She recommends 1/2 cup of beans six times a day, no sugar or fruit, no caffeine, and basically normal foods otherwise. My corisol (based on my knee pain) went down when I quit coffee..

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Maybe look into Karen Hurd and her bean protocol. She recommends 1/2 cup of beans six times a day, no sugar or fruit, no caffeine, and basically normal foods otherwise. My corisol (based on my knee pain) went down when I quit coffee..
Thank you for responding. That is very interesting about the no caffeine. I usually don't use it and just started again because of this forum, lol. I will look into Karen Hurd.
Much love.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
You are welcome. Her approach isn't a Peat approach but you need something to help lose weight, get your liver working and reduce stress. And her method has worked so far for me in 2 months and for lots of others. I hope it can help you.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

You are welcome. Her approach isn't a Peat approach but you need something to help lose weight, get your liver working and reduce stress. And her method has worked so far for me in 2 months and for lots of others. I hope it can help you.
I see she recommends unsaturated fats. Do you do this?

incrp

I have been doing a high carb/low fat diet to address my diabetes. I was testing at a 170 fasting blood glucose for a while and then I added sugar and fruit for about a month. I didn't test during this time. When I tested again I was at a 500 post prandial. My fasting was 330. I have given up the sugary things and am now back to a 230 fasting. It is not going lower than that for over a week. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I have 100 lbs to lose. During that month I lost 10 lbs quite quickly for me. I felt good as well. The high BG scared me off.
I have been pretty sedentary due to my hours at work, sitting at a desk. I just changed my job and will now have more time to walk/hike.
I take metformin, some blood pressure meds, berberine, Vit D, iodine, progestene, cortinon+, Dr. Christopher's Kidney Formula.
I am wondering if the addition of the sugar and fruit contributed to increasing my metabolism, which increased lipolysis, which increased the fatty acids in my blood, which contributed to more insulin resistance...or, considering the weight loss, has it increased my insulin sensitivity? Do I keep going? My instinct is to slow down the sugar and focus on the more complex carbs.
Thank you.
I know this is the Peat forum but I think you will have more success with low carb. The trouble is there is a lot of misinformation out there, you could take a look at Virta Health with Profs Pinney and Volek or Diet doctor or Dr Ted Naiman. I think the Bioenergetic diet is more suited to fine tuning your diet rather than loosing a lot of weight. I was low carb for six years before transitioning to Peat about three months ago, my weight went up 10lbs in four weeks but manipulating macros is now back down. Whatever route you take good luck.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

PUFAs are endocrine disrupters and best avoided whatever diet you eat
Thank you so much for your response. I hear what you are saying. I did not do well with low carb though. I had massive fatigue and couldn't keep it up, keto that is. Is Keto the kind of low carb you are suggesting? Or do you think a less extreme type of low carb would be beneficial? Is it the ketosis you think is beneficial?

Nicole W.

Thank you.
Do you take B vitamins? Peat has said on a few occasions that they can positively affect blood sugar levels.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Do you take B vitamins? Peat has said on a few occasions that they can positively affect blood sugar levels.
I have been using nutritional yeast and just started on the B complex 2 weeks ago.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I see she recommends unsaturated fats. Do you do this?
No, I don't follow all her recommendations. I avoid all PUFAs. I eat 5 1/2 cup servings of beans spaced throughout the day. I quit drinking caffeine beverages. I still eat some chocolate and some fruit. I eat a low fat diet. The idea is to get bile that has toxins (like estrogen) from the liver out of the body. The bean's insoluble fiber supposedly binds the bile and makes this possible. Just quitting caffeine will reduce stress. Ray Peat says that adding sugar and milk to coffee will counter the stress hormones that coffee raises but there are studies that show that cortisol is elevated even when sugar is consumed at the same time.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

No, I don't follow all her recommendations. I avoid all PUFAs. I eat 5 1/2 cup servings of beans spaced throughout the day. I quit drinking caffeine beverages. I still eat some chocolate and some fruit. I eat a low fat diet. The idea is to get bile that has toxins (like estrogen) from the liver out of the body. The bean's insoluble fiber supposedly binds the bile and makes this possible. Just quitting caffeine will reduce stress. Ray Peat says that adding sugar and milk to coffee will counter the stress hormones that coffee raises but there are studies that show that cortisol is elevated even when sugar is consumed at the same time.
Ok, thank you so much for explaining what you do. I rarely drink caffeine. I have been super low fat for a few months. I am losing weight eating what I am eating, but my blood glucose is very high. I am doing a lot of research to confirm or not to keep moving forward with what I am doing. I am following Dr. Neal Barnard's Reversing Diabetes protocols along with the Mastering Diabetes protocols, whole food, plant based. I have researched Pritikin he suggest similar but allows for lean animal proteins and nonfat dairy. I am not restricting calories for the first time in years and I am finally losing weight eating liberally.

Nicole W.

Wouldn’t the supplement calcium d glucarate accomplish all the same things without consuming 5 servings of beans every day? Seems an immoderate amount to consume long term.

mostlylurking

Thank you.
Hi there.

Diabetes points to a thiamine deficiency/functional blockage. Thiamine is required to metabolize glucose. If you can't metabolize glucose then the cells are starved for it (even though it's available in the blood) and so the liver releases more glucose into the blood, making the blood sugar even higher. Metformin blocks thiamine function so it actually makes the situation worse.

suggested reading:

more:

Please note that in order to metabolize sugar efficiently both good thyroid function AND good thiamine function are required. I'm suggesting that you investigate both.

Multiple low doses of niacinamide throughout the day helped me lose weight while on a nutrient rich healthy diet. I take 4 doses of 90mg niacinamide each day; I lost 27 pounds over a few months when I started doing this. I'm not on a low carb diet but I do not consume much refined sugar (maybe 2 tablespoons/day). I avoid coffee and tea because they block thiamine function.

OP
Katelove

Katelove

Hi there.

Diabetes points to a thiamine deficiency/functional blockage. Thiamine is required to metabolize glucose. If you can't metabolize glucose then the cells are starved for it (even though it's available in the blood) and so the liver releases more glucose into the blood, making the blood sugar even higher. Metformin blocks thiamine function so it actually makes the situation worse.

suggested reading:

more:

Please note that in order to metabolize sugar efficiently both good thyroid function AND good thiamine function are required. I'm suggesting that you investigate both.

Multiple low doses of niacinamide throughout the day helped me lose weight while on a nutrient rich healthy diet. I take 4 doses of 90mg niacinamide each day; I lost 27 pounds over a few months when I started doing this. I'm not on a low carb diet but I do not consume much refined sugar (maybe 2 tablespoons/day). I avoid coffee and tea because they block thiamine function.

Mostly Lurking,
Thank you!! Love all the links. I have been working on my thyroid for a couple years and am on T3 and iodine and selenium and have great body temps for about a year. The thiamine link is something I have not explored. I will get to learning about it pronto. I have niacinamide but it is 500 mg capsules.
I am working with a doctor...am wondering if I should cut the metformin. Interesting.

mostlylurking

Mostly Lurking,
Thank you!! Love all the links. I have been working on my thyroid for a couple years and am on T3 and iodine and selenium and have great body temps for about a year. The thiamine link is something I have not explored. I will get to learning about it pronto. I have niacinamide but it is 500 mg capsules.
I am working with a doctor...am wondering if I should cut the metformin. Interesting.
Please read the articles about metformin. Doctors love it.

Iodine can block thyroid function. The amount you need is minuscule; I think Ray Peat said something about maybe 1mg/week might be safe? Peat is not a fan of supplementing with iodine. T3 has iodine in it already.

View: https://youtu.be/nMYSCcp_6pI?t=168

I rely on an older endocrinologist to help keep my thyroid hormone levels optimized. I get blood tests every 6 months. I got lucky and managed to find an 84 year old endo who actually knows what he's doing and has over 50 years of experience. I take natural desiccated thyroid, NP Thyroid, made by Acella. I do not attempt to just "wing it" because it is too important to get it right. Because I have both hypothyroidism and a thiamine issue and these two things inter-relate, I need to be tested regularly. High dosing thiamine hcl caused my T3 level to go way high and I had to cut back on my thyroid med in order to get back into a highish but normal range. Too much thyroid med can block thiamine function.

I use the pure niacinamide powder available from bulksupplements.com. I find that it works better for me to be able to fine tune the amount and take it more frequently. 500mg of niacinamide makes me loopy.

Testing for thiamine deficiency is tricky. Here's an article about it: Thiamine Deficiency Testing: Understanding the Labs- Hormones Matter

You might find this video helpful:

View: https://youtu.be/m3DopqTz1Q4

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals