Lowering High Blood Sugar

mrchibbs

Protein helped me the most.

Nemo

I recently got a glucometer, and I noticed that my blood sugar is always high. Not crazy high, but usually between 110-150 mg/dL. Even when I wake up in the morning, fasted, I'm at 115 or so. How can I get my blood sugar below 100?

I did carnivore, keto, and intermittent fasting all of last year before finding Peat, and thus far my blood sugar has not improved since "Peating". I seem to be very sensitive to carbs, but maybe I'm eating too much of them. For example, some of my meals contain 80-100 grams of carbs, in the form of honey, fruit, and milk. Usually the protein is around 25-35 grams per meal.

I'm thinking some of the following might help:

-limiting carb intake per meal to around 60g
-eating four or five meals per day, instead of three
-taking small doses of B1, B3, B7, aspirin, and pyrucet (2 drops) with each meal
-raising protein intake
-ensuring enough potassium, magnesium, and calcium
-limiting liquids

Any other ideas? What worked for you in lowering your blood sugar?

Thanks.

I wouldn't be obsessed with lowering my blood sugar. I'm concerned that if you focus on blood sugar you'll do the wrong thing, like reducing carbs (especially sugar):

I would focus on lowering stress hormones:

And I would focus on restoring insulin sensitivity by lowering free fatty acids, which is likely to lower your blood sugar.

That means I would focus on aspirin and B3 in particular. Specifically, take a couple of aspirin or 25-50 mg of niacinamide every few hours for a few days to a week. Then continue taking them to keep your fatty acid levels low, though you don't have to pound them quite so hard.

Vitamin D also helps:

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

My girlfriend is pre-diabetic with high morning numbers too and when I convinced her to try honeycomb she trusted and tried it at bedtime, and was amazed that her waking number was 10 points lower than normal. Here is her text to me. She has been using it ever since with her coffee and to balance her protein meals. You might think about giving it a try.
Interesting! That’s something to try for sure. Does she just take the honey on it’s own?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

6 ounces sipped over a meal without iron (meat) as part of the carbohydrate should be good, but check BS quickly after to get a feel for what the whole curve looks like (over time). You will have to develop a profile for foods and food combinations if you want to do thjis. You will need to associate with lifestyle factors to know what you can get away with. Are you lean, spilling fatty acids, easily upset...that kind of stuff.

Squeeze or buy newly pressed OJ. Add oj as you get better at handling it. It will give you positive feedback if you can do that. Come to think of it, I'd try to ascertain where the high morning blood sugar is coming from and if its stress hormones at work or you have insulin insufficiency. Demand side or supply side way of looking at it. Do you lift weights.
Thanks. I think I may have been consuming too much OJ at once recently. I’ll try to start slow and gradually increase. I am not lean, I have gained weight in the past few months, especially in my chest and stomach. I used to have panic attacks in the morning, upon waking, but those went away when I started supplementing thyroid. Currently I’m on 6-7 mcg T3 and just under a grain of NDT. Maybe increasing thyroid could help, but I’m nervous to take too much and worsen stress hormones.

I haven’t lifted weights for months up until last week, same with walking. Now I’ve begun incorporating those into my routine, so hopefully that will help. Although I have a long history of overexercising, before finding Peat in June.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I wouldn't be obsessed with lowering my blood sugar. I'm concerned that if you focus on blood sugar you'll do the wrong thing, like reducing carbs (especially sugar):

I would focus on lowering stress hormones:

And I would focus on restoring insulin sensitivity by lowering free fatty acids, which is likely to lower your blood sugar.

That means I would focus on aspirin and B3 in particular. Specifically, take a couple of aspirin or 25-50 mg of niacinamide every few hours for a few days to a week. Then continue taking them to keep your fatty acid levels low, though you don't have to pound them quite so hard.

Vitamin D also helps:

Thanks Nemo. I’m currently taking small doses of niacinamide and aspirin and pyrucet, but perhaps I could increase the dose of aspirin. Right now I’m taking just about 400-500 mg per day of aspirin.

I also notice that, as I am a teacher, my health has gone downhill during the school year. Maybe my job is contributing to my diabetic state.

Nemo

Thanks Nemo. I’m currently taking small doses of niacinamide and aspirin and pyrucet, but perhaps I could increase the dose of aspirin. Right now I’m taking just about 400-500 mg per day of aspirin.

I also notice that, as I am a teacher, my health has gone downhill during the school year. Maybe my job is contributing to my diabetic state.

Yes, stress will do that, Vileplume. Has to be a terribly stressful time to be a teacher.

Which is why I'd focus on stress.

If you want to keep aspirin down to 500 mg a day, I'd just use that at bedtime and use niacinamide with sugar or OJ every few hours while you're awake. If you can't take 25-50 mg each time, take an amount you can feel but handle. You can grind up a niacinamide pill, lick your finger, lightly dip it in the powder and lick it off and it will likely be enough.

I love Pyrucet. I believe it cured my cancer. It's terrific for getting you to burn glucose rather than fatty acids. It's also a wonderful anti-inflammatory.

But I don't know that it's as good as niacinamide for getting your free fatty acid levels down to where you want them for good insulin sensitivity.

Ledo

Thanks. I think I may have been consuming too much OJ at once recently. I’ll try to start slow and gradually increase. I am not lean, I have gained weight in the past few months, especially in my chest and stomach. I used to have panic attacks in the morning, upon waking, but those went away when I started supplementing thyroid. Currently I’m on 6-7 mcg T3 and just under a grain of NDT. Maybe increasing thyroid could help, but I’m nervous to take too much and worsen stress hormones.

I haven’t lifted weights for months up until last week, same with walking. Now I’ve begun incorporating those into my routine, so hopefully that will help. Although I have a long history of overexercising, before finding Peat in June.
Yes, by all means don't over exercise. Careful with the walking it can zapp you if not careful. Just spending time in nature, watch for emf exposure, can help tremendously. Work some body weight resistance movements in as you can muster the energy and never when not feeling motivated to exercise. Good luck!

Ledo

Yes, stress will do that, Vileplume. Has to be a terribly stressful time to be a teacher.

Which is why I'd focus on stress.

If you want to keep aspirin down to 500 mg a day, I'd just use that at bedtime and use niacinamide with sugar or OJ every few hours while you're awake. If you can't take 25-50 mg each time, take an amount you can feel but handle. You can grind up a niacinamide pill, lick your finger, lightly dip it in the powder and lick it off and it will likely be enough.

I love Pyrucet. I believe it cured my cancer. It's terrific for getting you to burn glucose rather than fatty acids. It's also a wonderful anti-inflammatory.

But I don't know that it's as good as niacinamide for getting your free fatty acid levels down to where you want them for good insulin sensitivity.
@Nemo , if you don't mind answering a question as I think it applies to the thread.

If one has an Ox-Phos problem, and not burning sugar well, how can suppressing free fatty acids with something like Niacinamide not be a dangerous potential HIF inducing. Is it just a matter of degree? Thanks

Kram

MSM/sulfur doesn't get mentioned much on this forum (there are a couple threads) but it's a co-factor for insulin production/carb metabolism and has a lot of other benefits. I have had good success with it lately but maybe I was just deficient.

Interesting! That’s something to try for sure. Does she just take the honey on it’s own?
"In the 1970s, dietitians began talking about the value of including "complet carbohydrates" in the diet. Many dietitians (all but one of the Registered Dietitians that I knew of) claimed that starches were more slowly absorbed than sugars, and so should be less disruptive to the blood sugar and insulin levels. People were told to eat whole grains and legumes, and to avoid fruit juices.

These recommendations, and their supporting ideology, are still rampant in the culture of the United States, fostered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association and innumerable university departments of home economics, dietetics, or nutrition.

Judging by present and past statements of the American Dietetic Association, I think some kind of institutional brain defect might account for their recommendations. Although the dietetic association now feebly acknowledges that sugars don't raise the blood sugar more quickly than starches do, they can't get away from their absurd old recommendations, which were never scientifically justified: “Eat more starches, such as bread, cereal, and starchy vegetables--6 servings a day or more. Start the day with cold (dry) cereal with nonfat/skim milk or a bagel with one teaspoon of jelly/jam. Put starch center stage--pasta with tomato sauce, baked potato with chili, rice and stir-fried beef and vegetables. Add cooked black beans, corn, or garbanzo beans (chickpeas) to salads or casseroles.”

The Dietetic Association's association with General Mills, the breakfast cereal empire, (and Kellog, Nabisco, and many other food industry giants) might have something to do with their starchy opinions. Starch-grain embolisms can cause brain damage, but major money can also make people say stupid things." -Ray Peat​

mrchibbs

Thank you! So I’m assuming you upped your ratio of protein to carbs?

Yes, particularly making the effort to emphasize high quality animal protein earlier in the day (and a larger amount, above 100g daily), seemed to stabilize my blood sugar like nothing else.

yerrag

I recently got a glucometer, and I noticed that my blood sugar is always high. Not crazy high, but usually between 110-150 mg/dL. Even when I wake up in the morning, fasted, I'm at 115 or so. How can I get my blood sugar below 100?

I did carnivore, keto, and intermittent fasting all of last year before finding Peat, and thus far my blood sugar has not improved since "Peating". I seem to be very sensitive to carbs, but maybe I'm eating too much of them. For example, some of my meals contain 80-100 grams of carbs, in the form of honey, fruit, and milk. Usually the protein is around 25-35 grams per meal.

I'm thinking some of the following might help:

-limiting carb intake per meal to around 60g
-eating four or five meals per day, instead of three
-taking small doses of B1, B3, B7, aspirin, and pyrucet (2 drops) with each meal
-raising protein intake
-ensuring enough potassium, magnesium, and calcium
-limiting liquids

Any other ideas? What worked for you in lowering your blood sugar?

Thanks.
It's a good first step - measuring your own blood sugar on your own.

After a fast, as in waking up from a night's sleep, your fbs at 115 is high. According to Dr. Weatherby's functional medicine guide, 80-100 is optimal, although getting into the low end of that range is better. I consistently would get an fbs of 84.

But looking at fbs doesn't tell the whole story. Even at an fbs of 84, I would occasionally feel blood sugar lows, so fbs doesn't really tell the whole story.

When blood sugar can't be maintained within optimal levels, and yoyos above and below these levels, I would feel hunger between meals. I would also feel low in energy, feeling sleepy, and I also become susceptible to hiccups, sneezing, and respiratory allergies. When I get allergic rhinitis, I know already I have poor blood sugar regulation, as this makes the energy available for my immune system to fluctuate. Without consistently strong immunity, I succumb to allergies and colds. Even worse, I used to get sore throats regularly, leading to a fever or even flu the next day.

The two key inputs that are most impactful are oxygen and sugar, not that the others aren't important (they are, but when they are in sync, it is readily seen in how oxygen and sugar is used by the body). Assuming oxygen transport and tissue oxygenation is fine (this limits the discussion), then it is a matter of how well the body handles sugar. The body tissues should be like a river that can can handle a deluge of water easily that otherwise would have caused flooding and destruction. This means the tissues can easily convert sugar into energy with efficient sugar metabolism. From readily absorbing sugar into being used with oxygen efficiently, with the aid of enzymes,hormones, vitamins, and minerals that are not in deficiency, from glycolysis to the citric acid cycle to the electron transport chain, to the generation of ATP in the mitochondria - this process should be unrestricted. When in such a state, there is no reason for sugar to reach high levels and low levels needlessly.

After a meal, blood sugar will rise to 140 shortly, but since the body knows this to be natural, it does not produce insulin yet. This gives the body enough time to react to the deluge of sugar, even in a high carb meal, even in a meal filled with simple sugars that is quickly assimilated. As I said, it should be a like a river that can transport water readily to its tributaries. After this grace period, blood sugar will have gone down to normal levels, and continues to go down as the blood sugar is being used up by the tissues. It will reach a level where a signal is sent to the liver to convert its glycogen stores to blood sugar, to keep the blood sugar from reaching a blood sugar low point. It will come to a point where the liver will provide sugar to the blood at the same rate that the body is using up the sugar. This blood sugar level is your fasting blood sugar (fbs). It should be steady, staying the same in between meals, in a short fast. In a longer fast, when asleep, it stays this way. Being in an optimal level helps keep us asleep. In a day fast, the liver should be able to supply sugar to blood from its glycogen stores, and the blood sugar should still stay constant.

When you have excellent blood sugar metabolism and when you have good glycogen stores, it is easy to have optimal blood sugar regulation.

Blood sugar regulation, in my opinion, is a surrogate for blood sugar metabolism. Since it is hard to measure blood sugar metabolism, the next best thing is to measure how well your body regulates blood sugar. This can be done using a 5hr oral glucose tolerance test. This test is a better indicator of blood sugar health than the FBS and the HbA1c. It will show you how blood sugar fluctuates over a 5 hour timeframe, and you can compare with a curve that typifies good blood sugar regulation.

From there, you can evaluate your blood sugar regulation status. You can also use your own blood sugar curve to help you troubleshoot your poor blood sugar regulation status.

I had done this test before I eliminated PUFA. Four years later, I would compare the curves and I could appreciate the effect of going cold turkey on PUFA. It's a night and day difference.

There are many causes of poor blood sugar regulation. PUFA is just one. But they are not too many really. It's a matter of knowing how your body works and knowing how to feed your body with good inputs to support good sugar metabolism. It also includes throwing away urban legends and myths that have no basis in fact, but are based in propaganda that is deeply embedded in popular culture. Blaming sugar is just kitsch when one cannot believe sugar is innocent and the guilty party is the self. And even so, one cannot blame oneself but blame his father and his grandfather for his genes, for that is what the doctor says.

For more on the 5 hr Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, you can do a search in this forum.

Chophouse360

Thank you. Unfortunately I think it is prediabetes because I have a few other related symptoms, I generally don’t feel too good, and my doctor’s office tests also found my fasting blood sugar above 100 twice in a row.

I didn’t know about cinnamon as beneficial for blood sugar, thanks. I think fiber would help too, and I’ve recently started lifting again. I think smaller frequent meals will help too.
Amazon product ASIN B079QPQQVKView: https://www.amazon.com/Supplement-PurePremium-Metabolism-Cholesterol-Cardiovascular/dp/B079QPQQVK/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-rsf-lq2a1_0?cv_ct_cx=blood+sugar+support&dchild=1&keywords=blood+sugar+support&pd_rd_i=B079QPQQVK&pd_rd_r=f9fe4ca3-a06e-4b4f-9857-1227cbb2392d&pd_rd_w=FSxge&pd_rd_wg=KypZm&pf_rd_p=55e7032c-6fc9-408e-acdd-7102d5505604&pf_rd_r=SY5SAVVH9272VF5Q4ZMV&psc=1&qid=1622116622&sprefix=blood+sug&sr=1-1-79f2ba2c-a86d-4cce-9681-a03d00257c4c

you could try something like this as well

Chophouse360

Thank you. Unfortunately I think it is prediabetes because I have a few other related symptoms, I generally don’t feel too good, and my doctor’s office tests also found my fasting blood sugar above 100 twice in a row.

I didn’t know about cinnamon as beneficial for blood sugar, thanks. I think fiber would help too, and I’ve recently started lifting again. I think smaller frequent meals will help too.
I would also look into Berberine and citrus bergamot

Serge

The only thing that really helped me with BG recently are daily (4-5 times a week) walks of around 12km in 2 hours and the resulting weight loss (clears fat from the liver and other organs.)
I did try going very low on fat, tried all sorts of supplements - if there were improvements, they were so small and homeopathic I never noticed.
You eat/drink carbs, you get ready for high BG. I wish it was different but after years of attempts, that is my sad conclusion.
I do enjoy walking, never force myself. Maybe there's something else you like. But a 20 minute excercise won't change the situation drastically in my experience.
Well that's the bitter truth I have to share. Maybe high sugar works for some people as a remedy against insulin resistance - it does not for me.

Jon2547

I had the same problem with slightly elevated blood sugar and have been low carb for long time. What helped my blood sugar to get lower is to
Have a little bit of carbs a couple of days a week
Use some ceylon cinnamon
Do arm weight exercises and pistol squats
Intermittent fasting

Yes, particularly making the effort to emphasize high quality animal protein earlier in the day (and a larger amount, above 100g daily), seemed to stabilize my blood sugar like nothing else.
I totally agree with that Mr.Chibbs. That is what my sister did to get her out of her pre-diabetic place, protein from meat and mostly mozzarella.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals