Lowering High Blood Sugar

Nemo

@Nemo , if you don't mind answering a question as I think it applies to the thread.

If one has an Ox-Phos problem, and not burning sugar well, how can suppressing free fatty acids with something like Niacinamide not be a dangerous potential HIF inducing. Is it just a matter of degree? Thanks

In my experience, your body can relearn how to oxidize sugar on a dime. In an instant. You do want to be a little careful with dosing something that suppresses free fatty acids or fatty acid oxidation. For your comfort, always start small and build. But Haidut has said many times that nothing can completely turn it off. Your body will oxidize fats if it needs to in order to survive.

Here's how it works. Let's say you're fighting cancer, and the cancer wants to oxidize fatty acids. It's a big tumor or it's in many places and it's fighting you hard.

A few drops of Pyrucet [the dose will depend on the person] and you will be oxidizing glucose. You know you're oxidizing glucose because you suddenly are able to breathe again and have energy to move around.

Those drops wear off and you're suddenly in pain again and gasping for air. You can't even speak a complete sentence because you run out of air. You apply a few more drops to your wrist and you're breathing and moving around again. I had cancer in my brain and a huge tumor in my sinuses fighting to oxidize fatty acids and Pyrucet instantly made me able to oxidize sugar again.

The key to avoiding hypoxia is giving yourself sugar to oxidize. If you take Pyrucet without orange juice you just keep oxidizing fats, but I don't even know how you take Pyrucet without sugar. If you've been sick and relying on fatty acid oxidation and take Pyrucet, you will be looking for any sugar in the house. There will be no doubt you want lots of sugar.

Same thing with niacinamide. You will want sugar if you take a dose effective for reducing free fatty acids. I took a 1500 mg time-release niacinamide pill and was chugging OJ and sugared milk non-stop for seven hours. I wasn't fantasizing about cheeseburgers.
But it reduced free fatty acids to the point where I had to cut my thyroid dose in half and started losing weight, even as I was increasing calories.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

At bedtime yes, raw honeycomb, but during day after a protein meal. She says with coffee and gelatin in the morning
Thank you! I tried it last night and I will continue to try it. Experimentation, here we go! I appreciate the stories, like your friend and your sister, they provide helpful information!

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Please let me know what happens with your experiment! So many people with diabetes can use more specifics instead inaccurate guidelines. Be weary of your honey, some are laced with sugar, be sure it is RAW.
I will let you know! I'm going to measure by BG after every meal and be vigilant about figuring this stuff out.

Nemo

The only thing that really helped me with BG recently are daily (4-5 times a week) walks of around 12km in 2 hours and the resulting weight loss (clears fat from the liver and other organs.)
I did try going very low on fat, tried all sorts of supplements - if there were improvements, they were so small and homeopathic I never noticed.
You eat/drink carbs, you get ready for high BG. I wish it was different but after years of attempts, that is my sad conclusion.
I do enjoy walking, never force myself. Maybe there's something else you like. But a 20 minute excercise won't change the situation drastically in my experience.
Well that's the bitter truth I have to share. Maybe high sugar works for some people as a remedy against insulin resistance - it does not for me.

Guys, it's not just going low fat. You have to get your free fatty acids down.

If your cortisol levels are high, you're just going to continue having high levels of free fatty acids and your insulin sensitivity will be bad and your blood sugar will stay high.

If you fast or cut back on carbs, your cortisol levels will be high, hence your free fatty acids will be high, your insulin sensitivity will be bad, and your blood sugar will stay high.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yes, by all means don't over exercise. Careful with the walking it can zapp you if not careful. Just spending time in nature, watch for emf exposure, can help tremendously. Work some body weight resistance movements in as you can muster the energy and never when not feeling motivated to exercise. Good luck!
Thank you! Walking and lifting are becoming part of my daily and weekly routine.

I will let you know! I'm going to measure by BG after every meal and be vigilant about figuring this stuff out.
That is what me and my sister did, we took before readings on new food combination and readings again a couple of times after and documented. Not only did that impress and baffle her doctor, handingbin her food log with times that matched her meter reading, it also made my sister more sure of her choices. She ultimately took off over 100 pounds after having her second baby in her 40's!

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Guys, it's not just going low fat. You have to get your free fatty acids down.

If your cortisol levels are high, you're just going to continue having high levels of free fatty acids and your insulin sensitivity will be bad and your blood sugar will stay high.

If you fast or cut back on carbs, your cortisol levels will be high, hence your free fatty acids will be high, your insulin sensitivity will be bad, and your blood sugar will stay high.
Keeping fats relatively low can be therapeutic though, right? Working alongside the lowering of stress and FFA, keeping the fats low provides more space for carbs and helpa guide your body toward glucose burning, over fatty acid oxidation. I plan to keep fats on the lower side while I increase carbs and protein a bit, and increase my aspirin intake alongside.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

15 min walk after carb meals is a simple strategy (I got a walking treadmil desk).
Also, TUDCA 500mg, Metformin twice per week, and my favourite ---->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPAoGCy8BAA

Thank you. I have begun walking after meals and I will continue this! Also interesting about TUDCA, and it's super cool that you got a walking treadmill desk -- sounds awesome.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

MSM/sulfur doesn't get mentioned much on this forum (there are a couple threads) but it's a co-factor for insulin production/carb metabolism and has a lot of other benefits. I have had good success with it lately but maybe I was just deficient.

Interesting! I happen to have some MSM at home, and based on my bit of research it seems pretty safe. I will probably give it a shot, in addition to some other interventions. I found a few studies correlating MSM with improved glucose response.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yes, by all means don't over exercise. Careful with the walking it can zapp you if not careful. Just spending time in nature, watch for emf exposure, can help tremendously. Work some body weight resistance movements in as you can muster the energy and never when not feeling motivated to exercise. Good luck!
Thank you! I have begin to incorporate walking and lifting into my daily or weekly routine. Over time, I believe they will help. I'll keep you updated.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yes, particularly making the effort to emphasize high quality animal protein earlier in the day (and a larger amount, above 100g daily), seemed to stabilize my blood sugar like nothing else.
Thank you. I will prioritize more protein in my diet, while not lowering carbs.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

It's a good first step - measuring your own blood sugar on your own.

After a fast, as in waking up from a night's sleep, your fbs at 115 is high. According to Dr. Weatherby's functional medicine guide, 80-100 is optimal, although getting into the low end of that range is better. I consistently would get an fbs of 84.

But looking at fbs doesn't tell the whole story. Even at an fbs of 84, I would occasionally feel blood sugar lows, so fbs doesn't really tell the whole story.

When blood sugar can't be maintained within optimal levels, and yoyos above and below these levels, I would feel hunger between meals. I would also feel low in energy, feeling sleepy, and I also become susceptible to hiccups, sneezing, and respiratory allergies. When I get allergic rhinitis, I know already I have poor blood sugar regulation, as this makes the energy available for my immune system to fluctuate. Without consistently strong immunity, I succumb to allergies and colds. Even worse, I used to get sore throats regularly, leading to a fever or even flu the next day.

The two key inputs that are most impactful are oxygen and sugar, not that the others aren't important (they are, but when they are in sync, it is readily seen in how oxygen and sugar is used by the body). Assuming oxygen transport and tissue oxygenation is fine (this limits the discussion), then it is a matter of how well the body handles sugar. The body tissues should be like a river that can can handle a deluge of water easily that otherwise would have caused flooding and destruction. This means the tissues can easily convert sugar into energy with efficient sugar metabolism. From readily absorbing sugar into being used with oxygen efficiently, with the aid of enzymes,hormones, vitamins, and minerals that are not in deficiency, from glycolysis to the citric acid cycle to the electron transport chain, to the generation of ATP in the mitochondria - this process should be unrestricted. When in such a state, there is no reason for sugar to reach high levels and low levels needlessly.

After a meal, blood sugar will rise to 140 shortly, but since the body knows this to be natural, it does not produce insulin yet. This gives the body enough time to react to the deluge of sugar, even in a high carb meal, even in a meal filled with simple sugars that is quickly assimilated. As I said, it should be a like a river that can transport water readily to its tributaries. After this grace period, blood sugar will have gone down to normal levels, and continues to go down as the blood sugar is being used up by the tissues. It will reach a level where a signal is sent to the liver to convert its glycogen stores to blood sugar, to keep the blood sugar from reaching a blood sugar low point. It will come to a point where the liver will provide sugar to the blood at the same rate that the body is using up the sugar. This blood sugar level is your fasting blood sugar (fbs). It should be steady, staying the same in between meals, in a short fast. In a longer fast, when asleep, it stays this way. Being in an optimal level helps keep us asleep. In a day fast, the liver should be able to supply sugar to blood from its glycogen stores, and the blood sugar should still stay constant.

When you have excellent blood sugar metabolism and when you have good glycogen stores, it is easy to have optimal blood sugar regulation.

Blood sugar regulation, in my opinion, is a surrogate for blood sugar metabolism. Since it is hard to measure blood sugar metabolism, the next best thing is to measure how well your body regulates blood sugar. This can be done using a 5hr oral glucose tolerance test. This test is a better indicator of blood sugar health than the FBS and the HbA1c. It will show you how blood sugar fluctuates over a 5 hour timeframe, and you can compare with a curve that typifies good blood sugar regulation.

From there, you can evaluate your blood sugar regulation status. You can also use your own blood sugar curve to help you troubleshoot your poor blood sugar regulation status.

I had done this test before I eliminated PUFA. Four years later, I would compare the curves and I could appreciate the effect of going cold turkey on PUFA. It's a night and day difference.

There are many causes of poor blood sugar regulation. PUFA is just one. But they are not too many really. It's a matter of knowing how your body works and knowing how to feed your body with good inputs to support good sugar metabolism. It also includes throwing away urban legends and myths that have no basis in fact, but are based in propaganda that is deeply embedded in popular culture. Blaming sugar is just kitsch when one cannot believe sugar is innocent and the guilty party is the self. And even so, one cannot blame oneself but blame his father and his grandfather for his genes, for that is what the doctor says.

For more on the 5 hr Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, you can do a search in this forum.
You did a wonderful and thorough job of explaining how our bodies should respond to glucose, and how the impaired body responds in an adverse way. The river analogy was well-used, and this explanation helped me visualize the process. Thanks.

Keeping fats relatively low can be therapeutic though, right? Working alongside the lowering of stress and FFA, keeping the fats low provides more space for carbs and helpa guide your body toward glucose burning, over fatty acid oxidation. I plan to keep fats on the lower side while I increase carbs and protein a bit, and increase my aspirin intake alongside.
In your position yes I would keep the fats low as in, don't add fat, but enjoy a grass fed fatty steak or some cheese. Ray talks about protein and fats causing stress, which you don't need with your high blood pressure. I suggest sticking with seafood the grass fed meats and pairing them with a spoonful of raw honey and berries at first. A little ripe watermelon and cherries went well with my sister too, when we got brave enough to try them. Eggs and cheese made her numbers too too low and those two required more fruit and honey, or lots of chocolate in her case, to keep her from passing out.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

The only thing that really helped me with BG recently are daily (4-5 times a week) walks of around 12km in 2 hours and the resulting weight loss (clears fat from the liver and other organs.)
I did try going very low on fat, tried all sorts of supplements - if there were improvements, they were so small and homeopathic I never noticed.
You eat/drink carbs, you get ready for high BG. I wish it was different but after years of attempts, that is my sad conclusion.
I do enjoy walking, never force myself. Maybe there's something else you like. But a 20 minute excercise won't change the situation drastically in my experience.
Well that's the bitter truth I have to share. Maybe high sugar works for some people as a remedy against insulin resistance - it does not for me.
Thank you Serge! Ultimately, I do want to consume more carbohydrates and provide my body with more glucose for fuel. I believe there is a way to get our bodies to burn glucose more effectively, without raising blood sugar. How to achieve this, though, will be unique from person to person. I think a year of keto and carnivore actually messed up my glucose response. Perhaps too many carbs at once causes us a problem, when we're healing, but as our cellular energy increases, I believe we can regain our glucose tolerance and partake in all the Peaty glory and health.

Nemo

Yes, because diet accounts for roughly 75% of free fatty acids.

Your plan sounds perfect and I am relieved to hear it. Don't you stress out about this because you are on the right track.

And Vileplume, the protein and all, that sounds fine, but don't go too far and make yourself hypoglycemic, either. Remember that Ray always stresses keeping a balance between protein and sugar as you're eating that protein.

In your position yes I would keep the fats low as in, don't add fat, but enjoy a grass fed fatty steak or some cheese. Ray talks about protein and fats causing stress, which you don't need with your high blood pressure. I suggest sticking with seafood the grass fed meats and pairing them with a spoonful of raw honey and berries at first. A little ripe watermelon and cherries went well with my sister too, when we got brave enough to try them. Eggs and cheese made her numbers too too low and those two required more fruit and honey, or lots of chocolate in her case, to keep her from passing out.
I will also say Vileplume that my sister did NOT drink milk. She only had it with the cereal. I wasn't much of a milk drinker those months she was living with me.

Nemo

Eggs and cheese made her numbers too too low and those two required more fruit and honey, or lots of chocolate in her case, to keep her from passing out.

Kudos for stressing this.

Saw the same thing with my mother.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals