Did a glucose tolerance test at home with my GCM, thoughts?

I'm.No.One

I decided to do a self administered glucose tolerance test after becoming seemingly pre-diabetic after 1.5-2 years of pro-metabolic eating.

Carb intake makes me spike really high unless I eat a big amount of protein.

Some background info:

Female, 37, not estrogen dominant.

I came to peats work very underweight 98lbs at 5'4. I already naturally avoided cooking with PUFA as I favored butter/high quality olive oil/various animal fats when I did actually take the time to eat 🙄

I already cooked heavily from scratch so my added to foods PUFA intake was likely lower than average.

I began to gain weight steadily with pro-metabolic eating which isn't a surprise because I was actually eating versus living off of stress hormones.

I now weigh 133lbs(this wasn't suddenly slammed on) & that's seemingly where my body wants to stay at (no longer gaining/losing).

I would like to point out that I DID NOT GAIN this weight consuming PUFA before someone says "it's PUFA". I literally had no body fat stored when I came to Pete's work.

At 133 I have a bit of a lower stomach although I believe this is related to insulin resistant issues versus cortisol due to it getting smaller AFTER I began wearing a CGM & eating to keep my blood sugar below pre-diabetic numbers.

Lowering cortisol never made it shrink.

Other factors:

1.) Last June I suddenly developed reactive hypoglycemia, I think this was actually the beginning of my potentially pre-diabetic state. This isn't happening much these days, at least not to the extremes of 30-50 glucose levels after a meal.

2.) I recently discovered a b12/Folate deficiency, not surprising since ya know things like aspirin, sugar, antihistamines, & pepcid all lower B12 levels. Just giving a heads up.

3.) My thyroid is fine, in fact with B12 my temps are now always at 98.6 or higher, side note using thyroid never once did anything for me even alongside all the FFA lowering sups.

Supplements used:

Magnesium glycinate(daily/evening)
Taurine(daily/evening)
Pyrucet(morning)
B12 methly injections (weekly)
Sublingual B12 (daily/morning)
Thorne folate(daily/morning)
Thorne B complex #12(every other day/morning)

Took NO supplements on day of test.

So here's what my self administered glucose tolerance test using a dexcom G6 meter showed.

Fasting 108
(this number has been getting worse, sometimes as high as 115-20)

6:44 a.m

Consumed 50g sugar dissolved in 240ml water in under a minute per a pubmed overview on glucose tolerance testing.

30 min after

187 & this was the peak in the spike.

Breath feels laboured, low ringing in ears, slight burning sensation in facial skin.

1 hour after

Breath still feels laboured, mouth is kinda numb, slightly nauseated.

1.5 hours after

Breathing is a little better, feeling hungry.

2 hours after

Left ear has a higher pitched ringing now, hungry.

2.5 hours after

Ears still ringing, super hungry.

3 hours after

100, super hungry.

End test.

What do you see in this pattern?

It dropped way too fast for even pre-diabetic right?

Between 1-1.5 hour there was a rapid drop, that happened early in the 30 min interval.

However whenever I eat any real amount of carbs I spike into the 150-180 range & feel like absolute sh*t physically & emotionally(typically anger).

Of course adding protein with my carbs helps, but not much honestly.

At this point the only way I've been able to get my levels to stay under 140 during meals is to have a ton of protein & a pretty small amount of carbs.

My fasting levels put me at pre-diabetic damn near diabetic if I'm not watching the amount of carbs I'm eating.

Doesn't seem to be hypoglycemia or even reactive hypoglycemia at this point.

Kinda at a loss here.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Interestingly my blood sugar is staying lower after meals today after the 50gram slug of sugar this morning.

Maybe a reduction in cortisol or increase in glycogen stores?

yerrag

I can't say I agree with the Pubmed method of OGTT. It's a bastardizes version, probably revised to avoid lawsuits.

The test used in the past takes 5 hours. It uses 75g of glucose, not table sugar- a disaccharide of glucose and fructose.

As a result, the time vs blood glucose curve that you have cannot be compared to established curves to diagnose you.

I'm very critical of modern refinements to established norms. Not because I'm a Luddite, but these are not even refinements but bastardizations where the intent is to avoid even manageable risks and Talmudist-inspired lawsuits that deprive us of getting to the bottom of root causes.

20+ years ago I could walk into a lab and a real OGTT could be done. At that time even my primary physician was already incapable of diagnosing me correctly. He was already a geezer, and I would have thought his better training from a better medical era would allow for a good diagnosis. He told me I was normal blood sugar regulation-wise, but I had the help of an old book to match curves with, and I was hypoglycemic. Knowing my true state was the start of my efforts to correct this pathology, and is the reason why I have made a u-turn in my health.

And did I say you need 5 hours for this test,.not 3?

Following the high priests of modern medicine is only about remaining lifelong drug addicts and hospital patients and health insurance tithers and government wards and dependents. It's never about being healthy and being healed and free.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I can't say I agree with the Pubmed method of OGTT. It's a bastardizes version, probably revised to avoid lawsuits.

The test used in the past takes 5 hours. It uses 75g of glucose, not table sugar- a disaccharide of glucose and fructose.

As a result, the time vs blood glucose curve that you have cannot be compared to established curves to diagnose you.

I'm very critical of modern refinements to established norms. Not because I'm a Luddite, but these are not even refinements but bastardizations where the intent is to avoid even manageable risks and Talmudist-inspired lawsuits that deprive us of getting to the bottom of root causes.

20+ years ago I could walk into a lab and a real OGTT could be done. At that time even my primary physician was already incapable of diagnosing me correctly. He was already a geezer, and I would have thought his better training from a better medical era would allow for a good diagnosis. He told me I was normal blood sugar regulation-wise, but I had the help of an old book to match curves with, and I was hypoglycemic. Knowing my true state was the start of my efforts to correct this pathology, and is the reason why I have made a u-turn in my health.

And did I say you need 5 hours for this test,.not 3?

Following the high priests of modern medicine is only about remaining lifelong drug addicts and hospital patients and health insurance tithers and government wards and dependents. It's never about being healthy and being healed and free.
Yeah, I here you.

I'm just using what's available to me & thought it was worth trying since it obviously showed me via my continuous glucose monitor how my body handled that amount of sugar.

I'd still think that if someone was genuinely pre-diabetic their blood sugar probably wouldn't drop to fasting levels after a 50 gram slug of sugar in such a short time.

Most glucose testing is 3-4 hours, 5 seems excessive unless they're really want to see me drop to bottom levels & jack my cortisol levels up which would arguably give a false reading?

I'm sure I could order some pure glucose & try again.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Does Your Liver Have Insulin Resistance? | Solving Hepatic Insulin Resistance And Glycogen Issues
There is a video that explains what is happening with the liver. He recommends starch and lean meat with no fructose for 1-3 weeks to see if it makes a difference. I have cut back on the fruit to see if it will help my blood sugar spikes after meals.
Thanks so much, I'll for sure check it out.

Although rice is like murder for my blood sugar & often makes it spike/drop/spike so I'll have to work with different starches.

yerrag

Most glucose testing is 3-4 hours, 5 seems excessive unless they're really want to see me drop to bottom levels & jack my cortisol levels up which would arguably give a false reading?
I would argue that by this measure of 'most,' COVID tests are reliable.

But that aside, when we sleep, we are fasting for much longer than 5 hours. While 75 grams of pure glucose isn't a good representation of any meal, it is meant to stress test your blood sugar regulation.

Your blood sugar levels at any given point is the sum total effect of your body response given its state and reflects the tissue absorption and metabolic rate of blood sugar, the rate of assimilation into blood of sugar intake, the insulin and glucagon and adrenaline and corrosion, response, how the liver regulates the different metabolic processes (fatty acid conversion from sugar, glucose conversion from glycogen, lipolysis, proteolysis, glucose conversion from protein).as well as fatty acid oxidation.

There is nothing about the cortisol response that is not part of the processes in the body if it reflects the true state of the body, however induced it would be.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

I would argue that by this measure of 'most,' COVID tests are reliable.
That's a weird kinda grasping for something to say argument.
But that aside, when we sleep, we are fasting for much longer than 5 hours. While 75 grams of pure glucose isn't a good representation of any meal, it is meant to stress test your blood sugar regulation.
Sleeping state is not the same as waking state. Just an FYI.
Your blood sugar levels at any given point is the sum total effect of your body response given its state and reflects the tissue absorption and metabolic rate of blood sugar, the rate of assimilation into blood of sugar intake, the insulin and glucagon and adrenaline and corrosion, response, how the liver regulates the different metabolic processes (fatty acid conversion from sugar, glucose conversion from glycogen, lipolysis, proteolysis, glucose conversion from protein).as well as fatty acid oxidation.

There is nothing about the cortisol response that is not part of the processes in the body if it reflects the true state of the body, however induced it would be.
I get it but after I hit 100, in regards to a glucose tolerance test, what's the point of seeing how far I can tank my blood sugar?

Anything under 140 in 3 hours doesn't flag me as prediabetic. I'll be ordering pure glucose though.

But I'm not here to debate what you thought of my experiment which is the only thing you have replied with.

It may not have been perfect but again it DID show what my body did when slammed with a large amount of sugar. That's mainly what I'm looking to discuss.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

yerrag

That's a weird kinda grasping for something to say argument.
I think I was pretty clear without being too literal. If you need me to spell it out, let me know.

I'm not doing this to make you feel good, and I hope you know I'm not trolling you.

Sleeping state is not the same as waking state. Just an FYI.
Aside from stating the obvious, sleeping does involve cortisol production even more so than being awake. Especially with hypothyroid people. That's Ray talking. Not me.

I get it but after I hit 100, in regards to a glucose tolerance test, what's the point of seeing how far I can tank my blood sugar?

Anything under 140 in 3 hours doesn't flag me as prediabetic. I'll be ordering pure glucose though.
140 as your bar makes me wonder whom you've been reading and basing your numbers on. They set useless targets they would say you won a marathon even if if took a week for you to do the challenge.

Note my sarcasm is aimed at the mainstream experts, not at you. But you may feel insulted, but that's me advising you to continue to be open-minded.

Being hungry at 100 is also odd.

I can't interpret your numbers because to do so is to engage in voodoo. I can't say you're speeding if the radar/speedometer isn't right.

I don't want to waste your time and spin you around.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals