Lowering High Blood Sugar

forterpride

My girlfriend is pre-diabetic with high morning numbers too and when I convinced her to try honeycomb she trusted and tried it at bedtime, and was amazed that her waking number was 10 points lower than normal. Here is her text to me. She has been using it ever since with her coffee and to balance her protein meals. You might think about giving it a try.
What is honeycomb? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210527_153044.jpg
    20210527_153044.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 22

forterpride

I don't chew it, though the rest of my family does. I put a chunk in the middle of my mouth and suck out all that I can and spit out the wax.
So don’t eat the wax?? Sorry, mom has diabetes and want to try everything and want to do it right. Appreciate you responding.

So don’t eat the wax?? Sorry, mom has diabetes and want to try everything and want to do it right. Appreciate you responding.
The wax is fine to eat, I just find sucking on it slowly to be better used, maybe because of saliva mixing with it, I don't know, i am still in the discovery stage. Be sure it is organic raw honey. Just like olive oil, the "money makers" have been caught mixing sugar in honey. I also buy this one because it has all the same goodness of honeycomb and is much cheaper.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-154938_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210527-154938_Samsung Internet.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 15

Serge

Thank you Serge! Ultimately, I do want to consume more carbohydrates and provide my body with more glucose for fuel. I believe there is a way to get our bodies to burn glucose more effectively, without raising blood sugar. How to achieve this, though, will be unique from person to person. I think a year of keto and carnivore actually messed up my glucose response. Perhaps too many carbs at once causes us a problem, when we're healing, but as our cellular energy increases, I believe we can regain our glucose tolerance and partake in all the Peaty glory and health.

I did keto for a few weeks, realized it wasn't the way I'd like to eat. Having a cup of tea with honey then was like having some God's drink :) maybe it is. The body wants sugar. All I'm saying don't ignore reality for ideology, if you drink OJ and see you have high BG, don't insist drinking OJ is OK for you at the moment: it's not. Same with low excercise - staying on the sofa (like I did) and loading up on sugar will hardly defeat IR. Just be honest with yourself and the indications of your glucose meter. High BG does cause harm. I don't see why I wouldn't believe Dr. Bernstein, who, when asked, does lowering BG helps heal neuropathy, said, actually, I don't remember a single case when it wouldn't.

How do we re-learn using carbs? By creating a proper biochemical environment inside, which, I agree, includes lowering cortisol, plus lots of activity that requires burning sugar. If excercise causes stress, it's a wrong excercise. It's individual. I tried lifting weights and doing 20-40 minute light strolls, and I couldn't stick to the routine. Somehow when I challenged myself with those 12km walks, it worked, I guess some people are more prone to "nothing- or everything" approach. I walk fast yet never out of breath. Leg and butt muscles work pumping blood, this is definitely making your body use sugar and improves tissue respiration. Now my BG is around 100-140 compared to permanent over 200 in March. I sleep like a baby, my skin cleared (Methylene Blue helps, too), my body temperature is over 36,2C compared to under 36C previously, and I'm generally more satisfied with things. I do eat plenty of carbs before the walk, some after. I will never allow overtrainig, if I feel I'm not bursting with energy before the walk (hehe) - I don't do the walk. But I am full of energy compared to just a couple of months ago. Now that I have my discipline back, I will incorporate lifting weights see how it works.

Also I eat bone broth based soup every day - I make sure to add lots of glycine containg parts when making the broth, like pig ears... using a pressure cooker.

Anyways, good luck! :)

Last edited:
OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I did keto for a few weeks, realized it wasn't the way I'd like to eat. Having a cup of tea with honey then was like having some God's drink :) maybe it is. The body wants sugar. All I'm saying don't ignore reality for ideology, if you drink OJ and see you have high BJ, don't insist drinking OJ is OK for you at the moment: it's not. Same with low excercise - staying on the sofa (like I did) and loading up on sugar will hardly defeat IR. Just be honest with yourself and the indications of your glucose meter. High BG does cause harm. I don't see why I wouldn't believe Dr. Bernstein, who, when asked, does lowering BG helps heal neuropathy, said, actually, I don't remember a single case when it wouldn't.

How do we re-learn using carbs? By creating a proper biochemical environment inside, which, I agree, includes lowering cortisol, plus lots of activity that requires burning sugar. If excercise causes stress, it's a wrong excercise. It's individual. I tried lifting weights and doing 20-40 minute light strolls, and I couldn't stick to the routine. Somehow when I challenged myself with those 12km walks, it worked, I guess some people are more prone to "nothing- or everything" approach. I walk fast yet never out of breath. Leg and butt muscles work pumping blood, this is definitely making your body use sugar and improves tissue respiration. Now my BG is around 100-140 compared to permanent over 200 in March. I sleep like a baby, my skin cleared (Methylene Blue helps, too), my body temperature is over 36,2C compared to under 36C previously, and I'm generally more satisfied with things. I do eat plenty of carbs before the walk, some after. I will never allow overtrainig, if I feel I'm not bursting with energy before the walk (hehe) - I don't do the walk. But I am full of energy compared to just a couple of months ago. Now that I have my discipline back, I will incorporate lifting weights see how it works.

Also I eat bone broth based soup every day - I make sure to add lots of glycine containg parts when making the broth, like pig ears... using a pressure cooker.

Amyways, good luck! :)
So awesome to hear about your improvements. Thank you for sharing. I completely agree that I can my BG meter doesn’t lie — something is off at the moment, and I need to tweak.

Did you make any dietary adjustments in addition to those long walks?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Yes, because diet accounts for roughly 75% of free fatty acids.

Your plan sounds perfect and I am relieved to hear it. Don't you stress out about this because you are on the right track.

And Vileplume, the protein and all, that sounds fine, but don't go too far and make yourself hypoglycemic, either. Remember that Ray always stresses keeping a balance between protein and sugar as you're eating that protein.
Hypoglycemia is definitely something to watch out for. The thing that scares me is that even some carnivore dieters, eating meat only, have high blood sugar. It seems like some, even with tons of protein, struggle to keep their blood sugar down. I suppose for them, high cortisol must be the hyperglycemic factor.

Serge

Did you make any dietary adjustments in addition to those long walks?
Apart from the mentioned bone broth... I've never had much of junk/packaged foods so there was not much to change on that front. I eat what's available, vegetables and meat/eggs for the most part, cottage cheese (tvorog, quark?) and sour cream. There's kelp that I gather on the shore, I eat a lot of it. Quality friut are unfortunately not available or quite expensive here so I eat dried apricots (soaked in hot water) as my fruit - plenty of potassium, niacine, and very tasty. Shredded carrots with sour cream and olive oil and garlic is my usual quick-to-make snack. Sometimes I can't resist eating a tasty bagel. Love having all sorts of tea with honey. Coffee with milk quite often. Squid (calmari) for some reason is dirt cheap here, and it's extremely good when properly fried plus a good source of protein.
No added PUFAs of course.
I will be trying eating my favourite foods like rice mixed with stewed cabbage or potatoes with fried onions, that is, super BG-raising meals, an hour before my walks to, sort of, hint to the body - there's your fuel :) see what happens.
My improvements are very recent, I realize that, I will be back to the thread if I have some useful experiences.

Last edited:

Ledo

In my experience, your body can relearn how to oxidize sugar on a dime. In an instant. You do want to be a little careful with dosing something that suppresses free fatty acids or fatty acid oxidation. For your comfort, always start small and build. But Haidut has said many times that nothing can completely turn it off. Your body will oxidize fats if it needs to in order to survive.

Here's how it works. Let's say you're fighting cancer, and the cancer wants to oxidize fatty acids. It's a big tumor or it's in many places and it's fighting you hard.

A few drops of Pyrucet [the dose will depend on the person] and you will be oxidizing glucose. You know you're oxidizing glucose because you suddenly are able to breathe again and have energy to move around.

Those drops wear off and you're suddenly in pain again and gasping for air. You can't even speak a complete sentence because you run out of air. You apply a few more drops to your wrist and you're breathing and moving around again. I had cancer in my brain and a huge tumor in my sinuses fighting to oxidize fatty acids and Pyrucet instantly made me able to oxidize sugar again.

The key to avoiding hypoxia is giving yourself sugar to oxidize. If you take Pyrucet without orange juice you just keep oxidizing fats, but I don't even know how you take Pyrucet without sugar. If you've been sick and relying on fatty acid oxidation and take Pyrucet, you will be looking for any sugar in the house. There will be no doubt you want lots of sugar.

Same thing with niacinamide. You will want sugar if you take a dose effective for reducing free fatty acids. I took a 1500 mg time-release niacinamide pill and was chugging OJ and sugared milk non-stop for seven hours. I wasn't fantasizing about cheeseburgers.
But it reduced free fatty acids to the point where I had to cut my thyroid dose in half and started losing weight, even as I was increasing calories.
Great perspective, thank you very much!

Nemo

When blood sugar can't be maintained within optimal levels, and yoyos above and below these levels, I would feel hunger between meals. I would also feel low in energy, feeling sleepy, and I also become susceptible to hiccups, sneezing, and respiratory allergies. When I get allergic rhinitis, I know already I have poor blood sugar regulation, as this makes the energy available for my immune system to fluctuate. Without consistently strong immunity, I succumb to allergies and colds. Even worse, I used to get sore throats regularly, leading to a fever or even flu the next day.

Great post, very interesting about the effect of blood sugar on immunity and allergies.

Korven

Hey Vileplume - I found this post by @GreekGod on food choices and blood sugar regulation, maybe it's helpful for your situation?

"For the record, I would not recommend orange juice, or any pasteurized dairy. Orange juice will just give you blood sugar swings, same with any ripe fruit, and the high heated dairy is a huge digestive drag. I know, not what Peat recommends, but I know what my personal tests have determined. Do much better with greenish banana s , green unripe mangoes, un ripe pineapple, all loaded with digestive enzymes. Forget the sweet fruits, you'll be unstable as hell. I ve gone months eating nothing but raw beef sandwiches, raw turkey sandwiches, raw eggs, un ripe fruit, celery juice, raw honey, some raw carrots and raw beets. Everyone is somewhat different, I'm just telling you my experience based on many year s of testing and trial and error."

I've gotta admit that the "milk and honey diet" just puts me on a blood sugar/opiate rollercoaster, I come up and then crash within 2-3 hours and need to eat again. Some fruits or raw honey with (raw) beef allows me to go 10 hours between meals without problems. But that's just my experience!

Also, as others pointed out lots of walking throughout the day seems to be good way to shuttle glucose into cells. Some resistance training is likely also beneficial!

Last edited:

yerrag

You did a wonderful and thorough job of explaining how our bodies should respond to glucose, and how the impaired body responds in an adverse way. The river analogy was well-used, and this explanation helped me visualize the process. Thanks.
You're welcome!

When you become optimal blood sugar-wise, you will find many things are not so difficult anymore, like

-fasting the whole day
-being fully awake and alert and observant all throughout the day; you pick up subtle details you were oblivious to before
-it doesn't make a difference to you whether you eat complex carbs or simple carbs; your body just uses up that sugar like nothing
-it doesn't make a difference whether you eat the "bad" white sugar or the healthy organic honey; to your body it's just glucose and fructose that gets metabolized quickly
-when you eat a piece of candy, or eat a brownie, or drink Coke, all "bad" and full of sugar, you don't get any sugar high or sugar low, it just feels good and guilt-free eating or drinking them
-you're not as sensitive to allergens anymore; you don't sneeze that often or you don't sneeze at all anymore
-you also feel less sensitive to cold and to heat; you handle temperature fluctuations much better
-you can eat a lot of carbs and a little protein and you feel fine, when before you need to have a lot more protein or you quickly feel empty inside

But unless you get to that point, you will always feel that you're a special case, and that you need to be handled with extra care

yerrag

Great post, very interesting about the effect of blood sugar on immunity and allergies.
My experience, from 1-2x flu every year, to none since I fixed my blood sugar issues-20 years running, means a lot to me.

I could say I won that war, and that gives me great confidence even now riding out the COVID plandemic. Had I lost, I may be on the other side - fearful and vaccinated.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Hey Vileplume - I found this post by @GreekGod on food choices and blood sugar regulation, maybe it's helpful for your situation?

"For the record, I would not recommend orange juice, or any pasteurized dairy. Orange juice will just give you blood sugar swings, same with any ripe fruit, and the high heated dairy is a huge digestive drag. I know, not what Peat recommends, but I know what my personal tests have determined. Do much better with greenish banana s , green unripe mangoes, un ripe pineapple, all loaded with digestive enzymes. Forget the sweet fruits, you'll be unstable as hell. I ve gone months eating nothing but raw beef sandwiches, raw turkey sandwiches, raw eggs, un ripe fruit, celery juice, raw honey, some raw carrots and raw beets. Everyone is somewhat different, I'm just telling you my experience based on many year s of testing and trial and error."

I've gotta admit that the "milk and honey diet" just puts me on a blood sugar/opiate rollercoaster, I come up and then crash within 2-3 hours and need to eat again. Some fruits or raw honey with (raw) beef allows me to go 10 hours between meals without problems. But that's just my experience!

Also, as others pointed out lots of walking throughout the day seems to be good way to shuttle glucose into cells. Some resistance training is likely also beneficial!
This post is definitely helpful, thank you Korven. I've seen a few other people like GreekGod, who find their own way of eating that seems to oppose Peat's ideas in several ways. And the conclusion I take from that is not that Peat's ideas don't work, but that when the body's sugar metabolism is damaged (like Yerrag described), it cannot handle full-capacity Peating. It can't handle all the liquids and sugar, instead needing more protein and less sugary fruits, with a higher ratio of fiber and enzymes, perhaps. I'm still a bit confused on how a person can heal their sugar metabolism though. For someone who wants to metabolize more sugar, but can't, is it just a slow and gradual process of introducing more sugar? Or are some people bound to eat higher protein, lower sugar, lower juice?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals