Keto is my only hope. Please tell me why I'm wrong!

Jonk

I'm not advocating for this but it's something I'm trying out myself right now - lowering my protein intake. Ray affirmed when Danny asked Ray on a podcast if going low protein could be beneficial for a person in a sick state. I've eaten low-ish protein for about 2 weeks now and I'm starting to crave meat again -which I haven't in a long time. Again, I'm not advocating for this but also like Ray has said that when you're hypothyroid everything is a potential problem. Don't be afraid to tweak things and see how you feel. I think listening to cravings and being more in tune with what our body is telling us it needs is probably very beneficial. Having Ray Peat's wisdom as a backdrop to our own experiments is invaluable but in the end you need to be specific to yourself and your current situation.

ATP

I would love to eat milk, eggs, seafood, fruit, mushrooms etc etc

No matter what diet I try, I'm on a rollercoaster from day to day. Some days are ok, some days suck pretty bad. It's depression, negative thinking, fearful thinking, social anxiety, inability to articulate my thoughts. It's all around pretty rough being me to be honest.

Keto fixes all these problems for me. Great mood, comfortable in social situations, clear mind, clear speach. I even surprise myself how much more capable and "normal" I am while on keto.

There are some downsides from my perspective-

-Lack of sex drive
-Becoming hangry despite being in a great mood
-Lack of food options (can't eat keto staples avocado, egg, dairy)
-after reading into ray peat information I'm convinced keto is bad for our health.

I'm kinda stuck but man I can't manage to achieve this state with carbs in the diet.
Ketogenic diets reduce the availability of oxaloacetate resulting in increased GABA synthesis and a reduction of glutamic acid synthesis.

GABA is inhibitory and this would explain why you're describing the experience of less anxiety.

This is probably the only real beneficial attribute of nutritional ketosis, the other perceived benefits would be from not eating foods that cause inflammation for certain individuals.

Last edited:
OP
L

Luked89

Ketogenic diets reduce the availability of oxaloacetate resulting in increased GABA synthesis and a reduction of glutamic acid synthesis.

GABA is inhibitory and this would explain why you're describing the experience of less anxiety.

This is probably the only real beneficial attribute of nutritional ketosis, the other perceived benefits would be from not eating foods that cause inflammation for certain individuals.
Tell me more! I was going to read your posts but apparently you dont allow this 😂

could pyrucet help? GSK3B inhibitors?

Peater

If it was me I would change nothing except drinking 1 proper can of Coke and see if that caused the bad effects. Forget eating anything different for now. If you're keto you should have the 'spare' B vit capacity to process the sugar.

jtoro

Same problems as poster for most part.
Fruit instead of starch helped a ton

jet9

Can relate to this, i done keto for a while....got rid of all the symptoms you describe but yeah its difficult, boring and eventually left me burnt out and resorting back to tobacco to manage stress. Lately been eating my carbs/sugars in the morning when insulin sensitivity is highest (as suggested by many members on here) and fats/protein in the evening, seem to get the best of both worlds especially if i get my carbs out the way early in the day around midday. I still have the cloudyy mind and inabily to articulate anything meaningful some days but not as bad. Im convinced this is gut bacterial/digestive issues (# seretonin) though as anytime ive taken antibiotics or herbal laxative (something with senna) my head is as clear as day next morning ,😎. Ive ordered some Cascara sagrada capsules in the hope of a long term solution, it was highly favoured by Ray Peat for keeping the bowels moving and also being antibiotic to some degree. 🤞
Could you please describe typical day of eating for you? What foods do you eat in morning, what in evening, any snacks? Do you eat starch?

Regina

In a hypothyroid state you feel better with high cortisol and adrenaline. Because when you eat carbohydrates, you lower your cortisol and adrenaline, but when thyroid doesn‘t take over, you feel low in energy. Low thyroid and low cortisol is no bueno.

Measuring your pulse and underarm temperature in the morning and after eating a carbohydrate-rich breakfast would help. If temperature or pulse drop after carbs, then you maintain your P&BT through cortisol/adrenaline.
Checking TSH, fT4, fT3, total cholesterol, lactate would be good aswell.
Great answer!
I used to train (aikido) with people who beamed with pride over there increasing pain tolerance, as if they were forging super beings.
Nah. They were just stewing in their own pituitary cocktail.

purple pill

Could you please describe typical day of eating for you? What foods do you eat in morning, what in evening, any snacks? Do you eat starch?
At time of writing i was loading up on either honey, oats, or oj in the mornings, litre or 2 of skim milk for lunch, then evenings was either high fat mince, bacon, eggs, butter etc, keto stuff... kept it up for a good couple months, kept me pretty clear headed with decent energy and good digestion. Not really strict at the moment just kinda freestyling making sure to keep as low pufa as possible and not too much carbs at night. Probs need to get back to it though 🤔

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals