I'm Losing Hope

DaveFoster

I'd also like to add that your situation matches mine pretty much exactly. Without all my supplements, I feel horrible; in fact, I don't think I should be alive from an evolutionary standpoint. Completely non-functional in modern society.

For you, make sure you get all your nutrients, as you've done, minimize inflammation if you can, and follow your cravings (I need to learn to do this.) Keep adding in supplements until you feel better, and reduce stress in your lifestyle. Start with the basics; aspirin, vitamin E, caffeine if you can tolerate it, vitamin K2, niacinamide, thiamine, and biotin. After that, glycine, taurine, and lysine. Then add in methylene blue, try pregnenolone if you'd like, and go from there to cyproheptadine. Thyroid also may help you; it does to me. Synthetic cynomel or cynoplus is superior to NDT according to Charlie.

Calcium, magnesium, and sodium, along with adequate potassium in your diet should help as well. Make sure to get enough of everything and eat frequently. Don't exercise until you feel better, and if you do, don't do anything aerobic that will lower your temperature the next day.

If you're in dire need, then go straight to cyproheptadine. Talk to your doctor. You can really go indefinitely; we have so many modalities to utilize. If you still feel bad after using them all, then you could always just get a non-SSRI antidepressant and live out the rest of your life on that, but I'd suspect that you'll meet success before that point. Lysine has a profound antidepressant effect, as does cyproheptadine.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

EIRE24

I'd also like to add that your situation matches mine pretty much exactly. Without all my supplements, I feel horrible; in fact, I don't think I should be alive from an evolutionary standpoint. Completely non-functional in modern society.

For you, make sure you get all your nutrients, as you've done, minimize inflammation if you can, and follow your cravings (I need to learn to do this.) Keep adding in supplements until you feel better, and reduce stress in your lifestyle. Start with the basics; aspirin, vitamin E, caffeine if you can tolerate it, vitamin K2, niacinamide, thiamine, and biotin. After that, glycine, taurine, and lysine. Then add in methylene blue, try pregnenolone if you'd like, and go from there to cyproheptadine. Thyroid also may help you; it does to me. Synthetic cynomel or cynoplus is superior to NDT according to Charlie.

Calcium, magnesium, and sodium, along with adequate potassium in your diet should help as well. Make sure to get enough of everything and eat frequently. Don't exercise until you feel better, and if you do, don't do anything aerobic that will lower your temperature the next day.

If you're in dire need, then go straight to cyproheptadine. Talk to your doctor. You can really go indefinitely; we have so many modalities to utilize. If you still feel bad after using them all, then you could always just get a non-SSRI antidepressant and live out the rest of your life on that, but I'd suspect that you'll meet success before that point. Lysine has a profound antidepressant effect, as does cyproheptadine.

If taking vitamin K2 is there any concern for messing up other vitamins and the balance? Would it be ok to take vitamin K2 alone?

DaveFoster

If taking vitamin K2 is there any concern for messing up other vitamins and the balance? Would it be ok to take vitamin K2 alone?
Yes, although vitamin E depletes vitamin K2, K2 does not deplete E to my knowledge.

Makrosky

Tianeptine to the rescue?

DaveFoster

@Makrosky Definitely. Low-dose naltrexone before bed also has some mood benefits, but it's unconventional to use it for such.

For anxiety, l-theanine, glycine, and l-lysine (100-500 mg x2/day) have some great effects.

keith

Keep adding in supplements until you feel better, and reduce stress in your lifestyle.

I would go very slowly and cautiously in this regard. Supplements can certainly have profound effects for some, including me. I am a long time serial over-supplementer myself, but I've actually found benefits cutting back on a lot of the things I had taken regularly for years. Ray Peat has cautioned of contaminants in a lot of supplements, and I also think it is easy to cause imbalances by over-supplementing; foods are often, but not always, more balanced. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that outside of possibly aspirin and thyroid, Ray Peat doesn't usually recommend any long term supplementation. I think the other supplements he writes about are usualy intended for short term use to correct a specific issue.

I am all for experimenting, as that is often the only way to really figure out what works. I would just recommend, to impart what I have learned from my own mistakes, to add slowly and give each supplement some time to see how it affects you before adding more/something else. It is hard to be patient when you are in poor health, which can make it easy to over do supplements, which can sometimes make things worse, and add more confusion to the mix.

Just my 2¢. Not trying to be critical. Some or all of Dave's suggestions help, just wanted to make clear that it probably wouldn't be smart to go out and buy them all and start taking them all at once, and not implying Dave meant that or you would do that, but when I was feeling more desparate myself, that is probably exactly what I would have done, so just thought it should be said.

DaveFoster

I would go very slowly and cautiously in this regard. Supplements can certainly have profound effects for some, including me. I am a long time serial over-supplementer myself, but I've actually found benefits cutting back on a lot of the things I had taken regularly for years. Ray Peat has cautioned of contaminants in a lot of supplements, and I also think it is easy to cause imbalances by over-supplementing; foods are often, but not always, more balanced. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that outside of possibly aspirin and thyroid, Ray Peat doesn't usually recommend any long term supplementation. I think the other supplements he writes about are usualy intended for short term use to correct a specific issue.

I am all for experimenting, as that is often the only way to really figure out what works. I would just recommend, to impart what I have learned from my own mistakes, to add slowly and give each supplement some time to see how it affects you before adding more/something else. It is hard to be patient when you are in poor health, which can make it easy to over do supplements, which can sometimes make things worse, and add more confusion to the mix.

Just my 2¢. Not trying to be critical. Some or all of Dave's suggestions help, just wanted to make clear that it probably wouldn't be smart to go out and buy them all and start taking them all at once, and not implying Dave meant that or you would do that, but when I was feeling more desparate myself, that is probably exactly what I would have done, so just thought it should be said.
You're completely right. Gradually add in supplements and measure their effect, particularly on your gut. I'm just now understanding that high calories may be the most important thing, which is why cyproheptadine can be so powerful. You can't have a high metabolic rate without enough kcal in your diet.

Easiest thing: every week increase calories by 500 or so daily and see how you feel.

Xisca

Hi Manoko!
The thai boxing you like might be a sign that you had a lot of activation of the sympathic system (adrenaline). If you do not alternate with real good relaxation, because if a chronic activation, then your digestive system cannot work properly.
A parasympathic state is needed for digesting, and also for a good imune system.

The activation I tell about is chronic, an internal state that makes you want to do something to live it up to the internal feeling. All that is about CO2, Buteyko breathing, and any sort of relaxation, help. And your eating program can work more easily too.

OP
Manoko

Manoko

Thanks everyone for the very valuable help and feedback.

I read everything, even though I can't always find the time to reply to each and everyone of you, but I'm trying to get a good understanding of what I should do and the plurality of good advice and opinions on my health situation and its possible causes is a huge help.

I'll reply to as much as possible tonight.

Last edited:

Makrosky

Hi Manoko!
The thai boxing you like might be a sign that you had a lot of activation of the sympathic system (adrenaline). If you do not alternate with real good relaxation, because if a chronic activation, then your digestive system cannot work properly.
A parasympathic state is needed for digesting, and also for a good imune system.

The activation I tell about is chronic, an internal state that makes you want to do something to live it up to the internal feeling. All that is about CO2, Buteyko breathing, and any sort of relaxation, help. And your eating program can work more easily too.

Or Yoga instead of thai boxing ?

OldMan

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and listened/read about Danny Roddy's works and of course Ray Peat.
I'm a 24 year old male, and in the past I've tried many different diets and lifestyles, paleo, intermittent fasting, but I've been pretty much grains free for a while now (with very rare cheat days). I've experimented with many supplements and maybe this is what really messed me up (a lot of different minerals, as well as digestive aids).

I used to practice thai boxing at a near competitive level, three times a week, and I felt great. But lately I've had so much health problems that I can't seem to solve, that I've lost all my energy and I've been feeling hopeless.

It's been a few weeks now that I've followed strictly the advice found in this forum and the diet guidelines, for a "Peat diet".

Since a few months ago, my digestion and sleep have tanked.
At some point, I was never hungry, and even if I was, a few bites of a meal would instantaneously make me feel like I ate too much, like it was sitting in my stomach and I would have the urge to throw up if I added even one more bite. All the while, I've been severely constipated (maybe bowel movements two times a week, small hard dry lumps difficult to pass through), my stomach a bit bloated.

With this, I've been having poor sleep quality: I wake up multiple times during the night, and no matter how long I sleep, I always wake up feeling like I did not rest much, with a low level headache, the type you get when really tired (shaking my head makes the pain worse, it doesn't feel like a migraine).

On top of that, my body seems to take a really long time to heal from injuries. Even small cuts take very long to heal fully, and I've hurt my knee more than two years ago and it is still inflammed a bit and hurting during certain movements.

I've tried to correct nutrient deficiencies, my diet consists mainly of orange juice, milk, liver once a week (or non-defatted liver powder sometimes with meals), ground beef that I balance with gelatin, cheese, sugar, mussels once a week (it isn't possible in France to find canned oysters for some reason), well cooked spinach and broccoli, coffee and potatoes.
I cook with butter, and I eat the carrot a day on an empty stomach.

I also have hair loss, and it's really hard for me to bring my metabolism up most of the time.
Taking dessicated thyroid for example doesn't seem to have an effect.

I'll be honest with you, this sudden huge decline in health, at my age, has really made life not worth living to me as of late.

Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone who'll give some advice.

French Friend,
To get better
.. I think you should look closely at the Randle Cycle...which is the competition between Fats and Carbs as fuel source. Your fatigue could be triggered by the Fats that you are ingesting which prevents Glucose from being used which is what the Randle Cycle does. Try reducing your Fat intake down to 10 percent of calories or lower. By reducing your Fat intake significantly your body will shift into "high gear" and use Glucose Fructose Sucrose as the primary source without interuption

Last edited:
French Friend,
To get better
.. I think you should look closely at the Randle Cycle...which is the competition between Fats and Carbs as fuel source. Your fatigue could be triggered by the Fats that you are ingesting which prevents Glucose from being used which is what the Randle Cycle does. Try reducing your Fat intake down to 10 percent of calories or lower. By reducing your Fat intake significantly your body will shift to "high gear" and use Glucose Fructose Sucrose as the primary source without interuption

Which foods would you consider "fat" in the peat world.. i think Milk is high fat, isn't it? so no milk?

Tenacity

Tara said:
Even 2500 cals is a lot less than what most men in their early twenties need to run a healthy metabolism.

Do you have a source for where you got this information from? As far as I've read Peat doesn't have any blanket calorie intake recommendations, and as far as I can tell there's no benefit to gaining unnecessary fat. I currently eat about 2400 calories daily, and feel fine - mood is good, strength and lean mass is increasing, etc. When I experimented with 3000 calories daily I just gained unwanted fat.

OldMan

Which foods would you consider "fat" in the peat world.. i think Milk is high fat, isn't it? so no milk?
Yes...whole milk has alot of FAT.... I drink 2 percent fat milk or skim for the calcium which is vital to efficient cell function.....and grass fed only because of Randle Competition.....

Ray has said that Fat is NOT essential even Saturated...... we naturally generate Saturated Fats from Sugar..... which are the Omega 9 fats.... so up the sugars and minimize the ingestion of fat...

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@mayweatherking with the Traderspoint Creamery milk you are drinking the fat will float to the top since it's not homogenized. You can scoop it off if you want and that should make it low fat.

Yes...whole milk has alot of FAT.... I drink 2 percent fat milk or skim for the calcium which is vital to efficient cell function.....and grass fed only because of Randle Competition.....

Ray has said that Fat is NOT essential even Saturated...... we naturally generate Saturated Fats from Sugar..... which are the Omega 9 fats.... so up the sugars and minimize the ingestion of fat...

but he recommends whole milk... ? mostly because the vitamins are gut irritants in lower fats, but i'm not educated as well on that.

@mayweatherking with the Traderspoint Creamery milk you are drinking the fat will float to the top since it's not homogenized. You can scoop it off if you want and that should make it low fat.

i am still eating the fat.... i dont know much about this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
but he recommends whole milk... ? mostly because the vitamins are gut irritants in lower fats, but i'm not educated as well on that.

i am still eating the fat.... i dont know much about this.
I think that's fine personally. The fat in that milk seems pretty high quality to me. If you ever decided to go lower in fat for whatever reason I just wanted you to be aware that you could scoop the cream off the top.

I think that's fine personally. The fat in that milk seems pretty high quality to me. If you ever decided to go lower in fat for whatever reason I just wanted you to be aware that you could scoop the cream off the top.

that cream is sooo good lol.... but yeah thanks for the info. i actually tried another milk from whole foods recently, it is homogenized i think pasturized, i think cleaner then the trademark, but im not sure. i have both in my fridge, but i think those are the only two good ones because no added vitamins.

natedawggh

Hey everyone,

I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and listened/read about Danny Roddy's works and of course Ray Peat.
I'm a 24 year old male, and in the past I've tried many different diets and lifestyles, paleo, intermittent fasting, but I've been pretty much grains free for a while now (with very rare cheat days). I've experimented with many supplements and maybe this is what really messed me up (a lot of different minerals, as well as digestive aids).

I used to practice thai boxing at a near competitive level, three times a week, and I felt great. But lately I've had so much health problems that I can't seem to solve, that I've lost all my energy and I've been feeling hopeless.

It's been a few weeks now that I've followed strictly the advice found in this forum and the diet guidelines, for a "Peat diet".

Since a few months ago, my digestion and sleep have tanked.
At some point, I was never hungry, and even if I was, a few bites of a meal would instantaneously make me feel like I ate too much, like it was sitting in my stomach and I would have the urge to throw up if I added even one more bite. All the while, I've been severely constipated (maybe bowel movements two times a week, small hard dry lumps difficult to pass through), my stomach a bit bloated.

With this, I've been having poor sleep quality: I wake up multiple times during the night, and no matter how long I sleep, I always wake up feeling like I did not rest much, with a low level headache, the type you get when really tired (shaking my head makes the pain worse, it doesn't feel like a migraine).

On top of that, my body seems to take a really long time to heal from injuries. Even small cuts take very long to heal fully, and I've hurt my knee more than two years ago and it is still inflammed a bit and hurting during certain movements.

I've tried to correct nutrient deficiencies, my diet consists mainly of orange juice, milk, liver once a week (or non-defatted liver powder sometimes with meals), ground beef that I balance with gelatin, cheese, sugar, mussels once a week (it isn't possible in France to find canned oysters for some reason), well cooked spinach and broccoli, coffee and potatoes.
I cook with butter, and I eat the carrot a day on an empty stomach.

I also have hair loss, and it's really hard for me to bring my metabolism up most of the time.
Taking dessicated thyroid for example doesn't seem to have an effect.

I'll be honest with you, this sudden huge decline in health, at my age, has really made life not worth living to me as of late.

Anyway, thanks a lot to everyone who'll give some advice.

Vitamin D from lanolin (other kinds come from fish livers). Apply to skin
Taurine (converts to dopamine, helps protein assimilation, etc).
Eat more sugar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals