Witness Me Rise

opiath

Hello cool people.
I have been reading the forum excessively for the past three weeks.
Figured it's time to make an account and say hello.
It is unusual for me to announce my presence.
In my journey to resolve my health problems I've spent tons of time reading
through various forums and websites but I've never been an active participant in any of them.
This forum however is something different.
People here communicate with more comprehension and objective understanding.
It makes me want to be a part of it.

I am 26 years old from Bulgaria.
I've studied computer science and I'm currently working as Software developer in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The relevant part of my journey starts 3 years ago.

During my last year in university I began getting interested in nutrition.
My health was problematic and I had motivation to improve the way I eat.
Naturally the first big thing that drew me in was Paleo.
I loved the idea of it and it seemed so logical.
My diet at first was not bad at all, fruits were a big part of it.
I stopped eating wheat and it made me felt great.
I would eat banana/egg pancakes cooked in butter usually twice a day.
My staple meal was fresh chicken meat cooked with carrots, potatoes and mushrooms in butter.
These two meals were what I ate everyday for 4 months, along with the odd bananas and apples.
I added raw coconuts to my diet and this made me overflow with energy.
I felt like I was making all the right moves and my health just kept getting better and better.
Lifting weights and biking was energizing and enjoyable.
Everything was good until it was not.
In my craving for more optimization I started making fatal mistakes.
I started eating tons of nuts, avocado and tuna while going lower carb and overfeeding.
300 grams of cashews, 4 avocado and 2 cans of a tuna a day became something normal for me.
My body withstood an abuse like that for 5 months before it started crumbling.
I began having migraines, fatigue, digestive problems, nonrestorative sleep and overall low energy.
It was obvious something was wrong but I didn't question my diet because I believed it to be flawless.

I kept up the nuts/avocado consumption for an year during which I was continuously deteriorating.
At some point I stumbled on forums and youtube videos about ketosis and decided this was the solution for my problems.
My head was filled with concepts like keto flu and keto adapation which made me ignore the obvious signs
that my thyroid hit the emergency brakes just 2 days into keto.
This was the point where my body just entered full-on stress mode.
I didn't understand it at the time but I started functioning entirely on adrenaline.
The rush at the beginning made me frantically look for answers and I spent all my time reading on sites like curezone.
Eventually I reintroduced carbs but barely enough to keep me alive.
One month after I entered the stress mode I began having heart poundings upon any physical exertion which are my biggest problem to this day.
At some point I found the Andrew Cutler protocol for mercury chelation.
Mercury was definitely a problem for me because of my huge tuna consumption and 2 amalgam fillings recently removed.
The protocol was yet another hope for recovering my health.
When I started the ALA every 3 hours for chelating mercury I has some profound reactions which confirmed it for me that mercury is a problem for my body.
However with every round I became worse and worse and eventually so disabled that I couldn't keep on.
I went to hospitals and did a lot of tests but answers were nowhere to be found.
At some point I got a possive result in the Western Blot test for Lyme disease.
I was hopeful yet again. Maybe my problem was the bacterial infection all along.
I took high doses of multiple antibiotics for many months.
Some symptoms improved but my major dysfunction remained untoched.
Candida entered my life at this stage.
Since then I've been having major constipation and white coated tongue.
My life became an endless chain of agony and suffering but my survival instinct was not done with me.
My body somehow kept working even in a dysfunctional state.
I kept looking for answers.

Spring 2016 I decided to start pulling teeth with root canals.
I got 4 teeth out but relief never came.
During a routine procedure of replacing a composite filling my dentist found a huge chunk of amalgam hidden beneath a composite.
At that point I realized my attempts for mecury chelation were doomed to fail since you pull more mercury into the body if you have an amalgam.
3 months after removal I began chelating again with some minor improvement despite my gut being in a disastrous state.
It was summer and I had some good days every once in a while so I kept chelating.
Until winter came and I was in a terrible state again.

The way I found Ray Peat was the culmination of my research about the cause of my heart palpitations.
I knew things were better for me in the summer but I couldn't explain why.
I was telling my friends that during winter the body has to spent more energy for body temperature so there is not enough energy for the immune system.
I understood this subconsciously but I didn't know the mechanism behind it.
Until one day I stumbled on an article on NCBI about hypothyroid people having high levels of norepinephrine in they blood.
As much as 5-6 times higher than controls.
As soon as I read this I knew I hit diamonds.
I started googling thyroid and adrenaline and ended up on Ray's website.
Reading through his thyroid related articles felt like finding the missing pieces for a puzzle which I've been building for 3 years.
Suddenly everything made sense.

The first thing I did was buy some T3 and started taking 50mcg a day in multiple doses.
I had to know. It was all or nothing for me.
In just three days I felt amazing.
Warm for the first time in years and just plain happy.
It felt so good I started making plans about my future, thinking about my career, family, relationships.
Sadly it didn't last. I crashed again.
It took me a few days to realize the fact that with T3 my body was insatiable.
In those three days I rapidly burned through my glycogen and cholesterol stores.
After realizing my mistake I exponentially increased my sugar intake but this wasn't a quick fix.
My 2+ years of low carb have taken their toll.
I am an insulin-resistant-PUFA-loaded-adrenaline-powered-mercury-poisoned organism.

Witness me rise.
I'll be updating my progress in this thread.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:welcome2

:raypeatcoffee

:hattip

OP
opiath

opiath

Thanks for the kind words.

Currently I'm working on improving insulin sensitivity, raising my LDL cholesterol and depleting PUFA.
Drinking a liter of OJ and sugared skim milk every day.
Eating dates, additive-free ice cream, grass fed ground beef/pork, cottage cheese and egg/banana pancakes.
I try to do as low fat as possible to deplete PUFA faster but anything less than 30-40g fat a day makes me very anxious and this magnifies my stress symptoms.

I take:
T4(50mcg),
T3(25mcg),
Niacinamide(6x 250mg),
Thiamine HCL(3x 100mg),
Biotin(2x 5mg),
Vitamin E(2x 200IU),
Aspirin(4x 500mg),
Taurine(2g),
Vitamin K2(4x 75mcg),
1-2 coffees,
Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium (every other day).

I have gained 5kg of bodyweight since starting this regime one month ago.
My abdominal fat has not increased so I hope the gain is from increased muscle size and bone density and not just water retention.

Last edited:

Trix

Investigate B2 Riboflavin (R5P) the activated form....there is a connection for some of us.

OP
opiath

opiath

@Trix I will look into it.
Was there anything in particular in my story that made you think I might need more B2?

whodathunkit

Just FYI, from a Peaty perspective dates and other dried fruits like raisins are kind of estrogenic. I love them but don't eat them much any more because they cause me problems. As part of the daily diet they're definitely out. YMMV.

Bananas are also supposed to be estrogenic which isn't a great thing. They're another yummy thing I don't do well eating. Very occasional but not as a dietary staple.

Welcome and good luck! :)

Trix

Investigate B2 Riboflavin (R5P) the activated form....there is a connection for some of us.
I personally benefited very much with adding Riboflavin R-p-5...I think it helps me store more glycogen and the energy component of oxidizing foods. It also helped with my gut issues....it is also helpful for the liver to detoxify estrogen (B1 and B2). I have tried regular B2 without benefit, so I must need the activated forms...you might not need to go that route though because of your age. If you have an energy deficient, then definitely try Allithiamine (type of Thiamine that crosses the BBB) and B2.

Another thing RP told me was that if you get your metabolic rate up again, you will detox the heavy metals without having to do a 'X' protocol.

Tarmander

Great title for a thread. Welcome to the forums, like you said, it is definitely a different place compared to many forums and health websites. Peat's stuff sounds perfect for you. I think his stuff only really clicks with people who have trashed themselves with bad health advice. Looking forward to reading more!

Don't be surprised if it takes awhile, two steps forward two steps back, that kind of a thing. It's a complete learning here, not just dialing in some supplements.

opethfeldt

Your experience is actually shockingly similar to mine. Right down to the heavy metal detoxes and ketogenic diet. I've still got a ways to go before I consider myself fully recovered but I'm definitely way healthier than I was in early November when I first started Peating. I wish you luck on your journey.

Trix

Thanks for the kind words.

Currently I'm working on improving insulin sensitivity, raising my LDL cholesterol and depleting PUFA.
Drinking a liter of OJ and sugared skim milk every day.
Eating dates, additive-free ice cream, grass fed ground beef/pork, cottage cheese and egg/banana pancakes.
I try to do as low fat as possible to deplete PUFA faster but anything less than 30-40g fat a day makes me very anxious and this magnifies my stress symptoms.

I take:
T4(50mcg),
T3(25mcg),
Niacinamide(6x 250mg),
Thiamine HCL(3x 100mg),
Biotin(2x 5mg),
Vitamin E(2x 200IU),
Aspirin(4x 500mg),
Taurine(2g),
Vitamin K2(4x 75mcg),
1-2 coffees,
Magnesium, Zinc, Selenium (every other day).

I have gained 5kg of bodyweight since starting this regime one month ago.
My abdominal fat has not increased so I hope the gain is from increased muscle size and bone density and not just water retention.

opiath
I do not know how to tag you, but this might be helpful on B1/B2 thread from Haidut:
Vitamins B1 & B2 Are Required For Estrogen Inactivation By Liver

milk_lover

HAHA your story is almost similar to my story except the heavy metal thing although I almost delved into a 'protocol' for detoxifying heavy metals. I wish y0u good luck. The good thing about this forum is you are exposed to new ideas almost daily and through self-experimentation and with a little bit of luck, things can click.

OP
opiath

opiath

Did you try the diet you felt good on in 2014 again?

I would love to eat the way I did back then.
Currently I can't handle too much chicken or eggs.
Ground beef/pork seems to digest easier for me.
Potatoes are totally off the table as they bring my digestion to a halt.

I personally benefited very much with adding Riboflavin R-p-5...I think it helps me store more glycogen and the energy component of oxidizing foods. It also helped with my gut issues....it is also helpful for the liver to detoxify estrogen (B1 and B2). I have tried regular B2 without benefit, so I must need the activated forms...you might not need to go that route though because of your age. If you have an energy deficient, then definitely try Allithiamine (type of Thiamine that crosses the BBB) and B2.

Another thing RP told me was that if you get your metabolic rate up again, you will detox the heavy metals without having to do a 'X' protocol.

Improvements in glycogen storage and gut function are usually selling points for me.
I just noticed my B Complex bottle contains 65mg Riboflavin and 10mg R5P per pill.
Probably 10mg is not enough for some major effects.
If I take a B Complex pill every day my urine becomes neon colored few hours after I take it which I read is due to riboflavin.
However if I stop taking it for a week and then restart it, my urine doesn't become bright neon after the first dose.
I think this means that if I take it everyday my body doesn't need all that B2 and flushes the rest and that if I don't take it more than a week I develop a mild deficiency which is solved after 1-2 doses.
I don't know if my logic is correct here.

Don't be surprised if it takes awhile, two steps forward two steps back, that kind of a thing. It's a complete learning here, not just dialing in some supplements.

Right. Two steps back is where I'm at but I trust the process.
The ice cold weather is not helping currently.
I don't remember snow in April.

whodathunkit

I do not know how to tag you,
@Trix, use an @ sign and then start typing a username without any spaces after the @. Username choices should pop up so you can select the proper one.

For an example, look what I did with your username at the beginning of this post.

To quote someone, just highlight the text you want to quote and then hit "Reply" that pops up. That will send your highlighted text down to the place where you type your answers at the bottom of the page, already formatted to appear as a quote. You can type comments immediately below the [/QUOTE] string.

Both these are pretty standard protocol for any dboard you're on.

Trix

@Trix, use an @ sign and then start typing a username without any spaces after the @. Username choices should pop up so you can select the proper one.

For an example, look what I did with your username at the beginning of this post.

To quote someone, just highlight the text you want to quote and then hit "Reply" that pops up. That will send your highlighted text down to the place where you type your answers at the bottom of the page, already formatted to appear as a quote. You can type comments immediately below the
string.

Both these are pretty standard protocol for any dboard you're on.[/QUOTE]
@whodathunkit,
thank you for instructions. I am appreciative that you would take the time to teach me!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals