Husband's prolactin elevated

kimbriel

We had him tested and his prolactin was 30 on a scale of 2-18. I feel like optimal for a man is no more than 8. How to lower prolactin in a man?

And it's also funny cuz mine was lower than his, at 11 (pretty optimal for a woman). But I take progesterone drops, use progesterone cream, and eat carrot salad, so that's lowered my prolactin (prolactin moves in lockstep with tissue-stored estrogen).

Does anyone have any ideas for him? DHEA? Pregnenolone? His sex drive is low.

His testosterone tested at 664 when the range is 300-900.

We eat Peaty, not perfect but we eat only sat fat, plenty of protein, and hubs does not watch his sugar.

youngsinatra

I‘d investigate his gastrointestinal function (symptoms, stool indications..) liver detoxification (estrogen detoxification) and methylation status. (riboflavin/folate/B12/protein intake/thyroid function)

Testosterone looks solid, but yes, prolactin can mess with libido.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

I‘d investigate his gastrointestinal function (symptoms, stool indications..) liver detoxification (estrogen detoxification) and methylation status. (riboflavin/folate/B12/protein intake/thyroid function)

Testosterone looks solid, but yes, prolactin can mess with libido.
Thanks - liver support is a good idea.

His doctor didn't run a thyroid panel but his TSH was 0.4, first thing in the AM. I'd kill for that (I have Hashi's)

youngsinatra

Thanks - liver support is a good idea.

His doctor didn't run a thyroid panel but his TSH was 0.4, first thing in the AM. I'd kill for that (I have Hashi's)
That looks perfect.

Yeah methylation, liver and digestion are all interrelated. If methylation is poor for example, liver function will decline, bile flow will be worse, and that will negatively impact the sterility of the small intestine (making one more prone to SIBO) and so on and so forth..

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

That looks perfect.

Yeah methylation, liver and digestion are all interrelated. If methylation is poor for example, liver function will decline, bile flow will be worse, and that will negatively impact the sterility of the small intestine (making one more prone to SIBO) and so on and so forth..
I think that's what happened to me. My liver function declined which led to an inability to detoxify estrogen, which led to thyroid suppression, and so on. My health has been such a mess.

supercoolguy

You answered your own question. Consistent Carrot Salad intake is great, that stuff works. So does Aged Cascara Bark Tea.
I would copy you for awhile and add:

Consume a High Calcium to Low Phosphate Ratio
Aspirin (anit-estrogen) Vit K.
Vit D3

Dr Peat:
"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest efects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers inbirds), and on the gills of fish. Its involvement with milk production suggests that it might mobilize calcium from bones, and inf fact it does contribute to osteoporosis."

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

You answered your own question. Consistent Carrot Salad intake is great, that stuff works. So does Aged Cascara Bark Tea.
I would copy you for awhile and add:

Consume a High Calcium to Low Phosphate Ratio
Aspirin (anit-estrogen) Vit K.
Vit D3

Dr Peat:
"Prolactin (which is promoted by estrogen, and inhibited by progesterone) increases with stress and with age. It probably affects every tissue, but it seems to have its greatest efects on the secretory membranes. It is known to have strong effects on the kidney, gut and skin (sweat and oil glands, hair follicles, and feathers inbirds), and on the gills of fish. Its involvement with milk production suggests that it might mobilize calcium from bones, and inf fact it does contribute to osteoporosis."
Great find!

If prolactin mobilizes calcium from bones and contributes to osteoporosis, and estrogen promotes prolactin, ya got any quotes from Dr. Peat about how the estrogen = promotes bone health is also a big lie?

supercoolguy

Great find!

If prolactin mobilizes calcium from bones and contributes to osteoporosis, and estrogen promotes prolactin, ya got any quotes from Dr. Peat about how the estrogen = promotes bone health is also a big lie?
You bet, Im happy to re-read Dr Peat. Hope this helps.

"Most often, estrogen is prescribed for osteoporosis, and if the doctors didn’t have their bone density tests, they would probably prescribe estrogen anyway, “to protect the heart,” or “to prevent Alzheimer’s disease.” Since I have already written about estrogen and those problems, there’s no need to say more about it here, except that estrogen is the cause of a variety of tissue atrophies, including the suppression of bone formation.[1]"
Bone Density: First Do No Harm

"In the 1970s, the claims about estrogen curing osteoporosis apparently had been debunked. At the time, that appeared to be the last of the major claims for the therapeutic properties of estrogen. Studies in dogs were starting to show that estrogen was an important cause of degenerative bone disease, as well as kidney disease, liver disease, thyroid disease, etc. Hormones used in contraceptives were producing cancer in dogs, as well as many other diseases, so dog research was widely abandoned by the drug industry/FDA, in favor of animals that were less sensitive, or differently sensitive, to the hormones. The claims that the industry was making were contradicted by the dog research, so they sought new animal “models” that wouldn't so clearly contradict their claims."
"A great advantage, for the drug industry, of using rats instead of dogs is that expensive, and often embarrassing, long-term experiments aren't possible in such short-lived animals. Rats die when their tissues still appear to be relatively young. Although excess prolactin (resulting from excess estrogen) in humans is an important cause of osteoporosis, in rats at a certain age and on a certain diet, hyperprolactinemia can stimulate bone growth. [Piyabhan, et al., 2000, Yeh, et al., 1996] This trait of rats could be very advantageous to the estrogen industry."

My memory of Rays teaching is: Estrogen is a Huge Industry dating back to the early 1900s. Its Super Cheap to make. All they had to do is keep manipulating the "Scientific" Studies to obtain sell-able results. If they would have embraced appropriate use of Progest they wouldnt even need the Unobtainable patent. Everybody would have won long ago.

supercoolguy

Following
Reply posted. Theres a lot of resources here, get into the Articles. Use the Forum Chatter for fun.

Around 2011 I had a Female Friend approach me about my Great health. (She always had a small "Hard Stressed" look to her that I could never figure out) Then she whispered to me her secret weapon, "Estrogen"!!
I about blew a gasket hearing that, but I never got a chance to talk with her and try to help her take a second look.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

Reply posted. Theres a lot of resources here, get into the Articles. Use the Forum Chatter for fun.

Around 2011 I had a Female Friend approach me about my Great health. (She always had a small "Hard Stressed" look to her that I could never figure out) Then she whispered to me her secret weapon, "Estrogen"!!
I about blew a gasket hearing that, but I never got a chance to talk with her and try to help her take a second look.
I wish I had found Peat's research earlier before all my health problems. The one thing I knew was Estrogen was bad news. Unfortunately, I didn't realize synthetic progesterone suppresses your body's natural progesterone.

supercoolguy

I wish I had found Peat's research earlier before all my health problems. The one thing I knew was Estrogen was bad news. Unfortunately, I didn't realize synthetic progesterone suppresses your body's natural progesterone.
RP has mentioned those synthetics Progestins, and they do Not act like Progesterone. I can believe they would interfere though.
Pharma will slightly change a molecule so they can hold a patent or just make a product to sell that barley helps, or worse solves one Perceived problem while compounding another (ie. Statins).
Real Progesterone helps me sleep or has a relaxing effect most times. Ive tried it on brusies or where i see vascular stress.

Read those articles bc Many of them provide insights related to and Beyond the given topic. You can ask me too. Im always happy to help research, or reach out to senior members. The RP email exchange section is interesting if you're browsing around.

Validus

He should also get checked for a benign pituitary adenoma. That alone will increase prolactin and often be shrunk using something like cabergoline for a short period of time. Caber should not be used long term.

maillol

When I had high prolactin it was caused by high iron. Blood donations fixed it.

OP
kimbriel

kimbriel

He should also get checked for a benign pituitary adenoma. That alone will increase prolactin and often be shrunk using something like cabergoline for a short period of time. Caber should not be used long term.
Good call, he did have a pituitary micro adenoma. Unfortunately, his prolactin has doubled since the last test so now I just want it removed.

sunny

Not that this will fix the prolactin, but when I take my progest-e, I give my husband a drop on finger that he rubs on his gums.

L_C

I am wondering to what degree heavy metals can increase prolactin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals