CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. **NEW Mini Body Light** MBL1 - Orange & Red Light Therapy Mini Body Light
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Deficiency Alters Serum Prolactin (high Prolactin)

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by Douglas Ek, Feb 20, 2019.

1. sunraiser

sunraiser Member

I figured this might interest you @Douglas Ek

Relationship between vitamin A and iron in the liver. - PubMed - NCBI

Low dietary iron, but not low vitamin A intake, affected hemoglobin, hematocrit and red blood cell counts but not serum vitamin A levels. Mean serum vitamin A levels were not significantly lower in groups fed high dietary iron. High dietary iron was also associated with lower mean liver vitamin A levels; these differences were statistically significant only for the low vitamin A diet group. A high vitamin A intake was associated with a significantly lower mean hepatic iron level for the high dietary iron intake group. These data support the hypothesis that vitamin A is involved in the regulation of iron release from the liver.

This relationship could mean that those low in iron are adversely pressured by vitamin A, and those with iron overload might have a very heightened vit A requirement (hypothetically).

Maybe you'd need less iron if you didn't supplement vitamin A?

2. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

Interesting, I really think the dopamine system is involved in iron status somehow as I am taking lactoferrin for 5 days ,but every time after I take it I get symptoms of low dopamin like lethargy and depression ,which is alleviated by a dopamin agonist like diamant... Can somebody make sense of that ?

3. Luk3

Luk3 Member

I actually did donate a few months back. I have also lowered dietary iron and took lactoferrin for one month. Just had another ferritin test and it came back at 63! Wasn't expecting such a big drop. I'm due to donate again next week, but I think I'll cancel given that result. Haemoglobin is at 164, that's up from the when my ferritin was high.

4. OP
    Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

Yes donating blood can help stimulate hemoglobin production. If you feel good 63 is not to bad. I think 50-100 is a good range for men over 100 is not good. Even close to 100 probably not that good but in general, not a huge problem. The most important thing to keep low ferritin but also avoiding symptoms of deficiency is good vitamin A and copper status as they help the body utilize iron. They are necessary for the synthesis of ceruloplasmin aka Ferroxidase which is the body's main handler of iron. Taking a ceruloplasmin test at some point is good practice. Especially if you have symptoms of low iron status. Silica and boron are also good stimulators of ceruloplasmin synthesis and copper utilization. As studies show supplementing with them along with vitamin A and eating liver high in copper all have been shown to increase ceruloplasmin. Vitamin D and zinc has been shown to lower ceruloplasmin. High vitamin D depletes liver vitamin A and high zinc depletes copper.
    If you're interested both chrismasterjohnson and Morley Robbins go through how this works and how important ferroxidase is. Iron is at the center of a lot of health issues as Ray also says. And you want to get this right. Positive nutrients to prevent dysregulation of iron seems to be Copper, retinol, magnesium, vitamin E, silica and boron.

5. OP
    Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

There are 100 of studies showing iron is an integral part of dopamine production in the brain especially the dopamine neuron dense substantia nigra which is extremely rich in iron. Low iron is also linked to ADHD (treated with dopamine agonists), Parkinsonism has region specific iron-dysregulation in the brain. And also restless leg syndrome which is also treated with dopamine agonists and is related to low dopamine is linked to low iron. Like I showed 3 studies where low iron is also linked with high prolactin (low dopamine). Anyone who is rejecting all this research is a denier. Funny how pro dopamine ray peat is. Anyway iron dysregulation is more than just low iron. Copper, vitamin A, and many other substances help the body utilize iron properly by boosting the main transporter ferroxidase (Ceruloplasmin) and so these nutrients also increase dopamine by boosting iron utilization. It's when these nutrients are deficient that iron becomes a problem it just starts building up in tissues. Iron is key in cellular respiration and function of every cell in your body. But I now believe that people tend to have a dysregulation of iron function instead of iron deficiency. I previously had "low iron" and had all the symptoms I took iron pills and it helped but whenever I stopped iron the symptoms came back even though my ferritin went up. Every time I stopped iron my serum-iron fell. What you want to have are high serum-iron and lower ferritin. It mean's your body is using and absorbing iron but not storing it. I found out I had low ferroxidase and thus now I focus my diet to increase ferroxidase and now I don't need supplements anymore. I have more energy and starting to feel fantastic.

6. OP
    Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

Actually, it's the opposite. Vitamin A is needed for ferroxidase synthesis which is how the body utilizes iron. Along with copper. Higher vitamin A means higher ferroxidase which means better utilization and absorption of dietary iron which means less need for an iron supplement. Dysfunction of ferroxidase is probably one reason how iron overload exhibits its dangerous effects by storing iron everywhere and storing it in tissues and organs leading to organ failure. Without ferroxidase, iron can't be utilized. If you can't utilize it will just get stored as ferritin in your tissues. Without copper, your body can't make hephaestin which is necessary to transport dietary iron from intestinal enterocytes into the circulatory system. And without copper you can't make ceruloplasmin which is ferroxidase 1 the bodys main iron utilizer and transporter.

Ferroxidase - Wikipedia

7. sunraiser

sunraiser Member

But there has to be a point of diminishing or negative return, though. Like magnesium is both an agonist and antagonist of calcium, depending on the intake and internal balance.

When you look at the low level mechanisms and connections in the body it feels like everything is a cofactor for everything else. I don't think a compound can have an ever increasing positive trend with heightened intake, as it'll eventually deplete another cofactor.

Hopefully that makes sense.

8. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

I do not really doubt that and start to believe that iron should be given more attention .

But I wanted to know if someone could explain my supposedly low iron symptoms from lactoferrin ,since it is at least partly saturated with iron and should give my body more iron. Plus it should take iron where it is needed inside the body so I guess I should feel less iron deficiency symptoms and not more , according to this thread.

9. OP
    Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

But you take apolactoferrin? Maybe it’s drawing iron somehow. Morley recommends it to lower iron. I dunno im not that well educated on the function of lactoferrin other than that it should sorta have similair effects to ceruloplasmin. But probably ceruloplasmin would be a better option to boost. Dunno But googling this is what i found

An iron-binding protein that was originally characterized as a milk protein. It is widely distributed in secretory fluids and is found in the neutrophilic granules of LEUKOCYTES. The N-terminal part of lactoferrin possesses a serine protease which functions to inactivate the TYPE III SECRETION SYSTEM used by bacteria to export virulence proteins for host cell invasion.

So maybe it just binda iron and removes it. Maybe it doesnt help utilize it. I think that’s ferroxidase and transferrins job.

10. ddjd

ddjd Member

do we? i love aspirin but none of the symptomns from taking aspirin feel like increased dopamine

11. OP
    Douglas Ek

Douglas Ek Member

That’s what research haidut posted. I have felt but usually from lower doses. Higher doses can cause fatigue in me