How to avoid panic in a real life crisis?

Zpol

Our future is uncertain. Despite our best efforts we could end up debilitated due to disease or freak accidents. Or we could end up loosing our freedom, civil rights, etc. Maybe loose our income or ability to acquire quality food/water. It's just reality. Consciously, I prefer to accept those possibilities and live my life to the fullest rather than to live in constant fear. I'm somewhat intelligent and mostly rational so I do pretty well for myself. I also try to be as resourceful and informed as possible so can I have the best chance in any situation. And yet, when I'm in intense situations, my body goes into panic mode. I can still maintain rational thought and coherence but my stomach goes haywire, I experience tremors and shaking, blood sugar issues, etc., even though I consciously know that all I can do is make the best possible decisions and just deal with it. Problem is, the physical issues last for days sometimes weeks after the threat is over. It definitely has the potential to trigger something severe and long term.

As far as general health, besides these panic episodes, I feel like I'm in better shape than ever before. I doubt any dietary or supplemental change is going help with this.

I know some people use 'box breathing' for these situations but I tried that and doesn't help. I've tried bag breathing as well; doesn't help. Maybe I'm just doing these techniques wrong... I don't know. Maybe I need to practice them daily for them to have an effect?

I used to do a form of meditation called zazen (with some Buddhists, not in a corporate setting). I'm thinking of taking that up again but I realize there are some pitfalls with that.

Anyone have thoughts on this topic they wish to share?
Anyone ask RP about this or something similar (he seems like one of those people who is calm and chill no matter what)?

There are so many things to fight for, big issues of humanity.
In this forum we are closer to the root causes of a lot of problems, therefore we might as well show them to society in a certain way.
We are the salt of earth. Be strong!

*English isnt my first language, I apoligize for any mistake.

jet9

Do you take any supplements / drugs / hormones?
How does your diet look like now?
Any permanent stressors in your life? (aside from regular job, daily life, etc)
How is your sleep schedule? (what time you wake up, when you go to bed)
Are you active?

jet9

“Problem is, the physical issues last for days sometimes weeks after the threat is over.” - what are examples of these “threats” ?

Lejeboca

And yet, when I'm in intense situations, my body goes into panic mode. I can still maintain rational thought and coherence but my stomach goes haywire, I experience tremors and shaking, blood sugar issues, etc., even though I consciously know that all I can do is make the best possible decisions and just deal with it. Problem is, the physical issues last for days sometimes weeks after the threat is over.
Peat suggests a "big glob of progesterone" for acute situations.
This also sounds like high serotonin situation to me. I'd try cypro for a couple of days.
"Rescue" Bach flower essence too.

Summer

I feel you. I experience similar symptoms when I read about all of the insane things happening in politics, education, etc. I’d also like to know how to deal with it. A lot of people say to study/practice stoicism, but acknowledging a threat to your well-being is spearheaded through all of facets of society and that you’re almost powerless to stop it as an individual is deeply disturbing.

Energizer

"Dear Dr. Peat,
Do you have any advice for dealing with destructive feelings - pent-up anger, resentment, hate, jealousy, childhood trauma, rejection, feeling unloved, feeling world-weary, feeling alienated in a world full of serotonin-driven automatons - that resurface whenever metabolism isn't optimal or when stress becomes too much?
Food, progesterone, thyroid, sunlight and other prometabolic substances are helpful, but they don't clear up the energy of the past stuck in the system and influencing the evaluation of the present.
How to protect oneself from being vulnerable, without getting bitter and coldhearted?
And how does one know when to run away from a stressful situation and when to work through it and improve oneself in the process?"

'Although I think escaping from stressful situations is good in principle, it can be very hard in practice. For acute situations, having a milkshake, some pregnenolone and progesterone and coffee as needed, can make it possible to direct the anger energy into mental actions. The reality is that societies are populated mostly by those authoritarian automatons, but when I realize that the world still contains lots of sentient intelligent beings—some humans, many mammals, insects, mollusks, plants--I see that alienation from the malicious system is better than joining it.
It’s helpful to understand how particular bad actions fit into the bad system, even though it makes you realize that the problem is immensely bigger than the immediate thing that you’re reacting to. Wilhelm Reich and Alice Miller wrote about some of the ways that the evil automatons are created. But beyond that system of automatons, there’s the real world of living intelligences.
When I was investigating how my autonomic nervous system works, I realized that my body takes on specific feelings in the presence of different individuals, with a sense of fibers going out from the solar plexus connecting with people that I feel free with, and a sense of shrinking discomfort in other situations. With practice, I found that I had some control over those reactions, and by directing my attention to them I could maintain a sense of myself while in the presence of the manipulators-robots.
Besides being self protective or therapeutic, the consciousness of alienation from a bad system puts you into a position where you might be able to reduce some of its destructiveness.'
Found here:
How are you coping? Literally- How?

I thought this Peat quote was pretty insightful and relevant to your question, OP.

Last edited:
OP
Zpol

Zpol

There are so many things to fight for, big issues of humanity.
In this forum we are closer to the root causes of a lot of problems, therefore we might as well show them to society in a certain way.
We are the salt of earth. Be strong!

*English isnt my first language, I apoligize for any mistake.
I agree! I'm doing my part, trying to make a difference :)
Do you take any supplements / drugs / hormones?
How does your diet look like now?
Any permanent stressors in your life? (aside from regular job, daily life, etc)
How is your sleep schedule? (what time you wake up, when you go to bed)
Are you active?
Yes, I take T3, T4, progesterone, B-vits, selenium, and Zinc due to a medical issue (malabsorption syndrome), egg shell calcium, and glycine.
Mainly I eat fruits, meat, and seafood (fat free tuna, and cod), fat free chicken, stewed fruit, OJ, grape juice, eggs, daily carrot salad, well cooked greens, zero starch, coconut oil, ghee, chocolate.
This is going to sound absurd but I'm really stressed about the tick issue in my yard and my land up north. Besides that, if I think about the current situations in society (elites with god-complexes, crooked politicians, technocracy, etc.) too much, I can feel the stress rising up.
I usually go to sleep around 12a and get up around 8a (I work second shift). Occasionally I stay up till 1a on weekends but I don't make it a habit.
I take lots of long walks but that's about it for activity.
“Problem is, the physical issues last for days sometimes weeks after the threat is over.” - what are examples of these “threats” ?
The most recent threat was a tick bite and the possibility of there being more ticks that I couldn't find. I love being out in nature and feeling the sun on my skin but with the ticks this season, you have to cover up head to toe and be on high alert. So that's a pretty big stress. But also, the masks; I felt panic set in when at my work when HR announced un-vacc'd will have to continue to wear masks indefinitely (I believe they are hazardous to health to wear continuously). I panicked when I found out my nieces got vacc'd since they plan to have families in the near future. A few weeks ago there was a shooting at my husbands work and I was basically in panic mode for 5 hours till he got home. A few years before that he had a heart attack which also sent me into panic mode which triggered a long term illness for me (I'm over it now though). So those are some examples.
Peat suggests a "big glob of progesterone" for acute situations.
This also sounds like high serotonin situation to me. I'd try cypro for a couple of days.
"Rescue" Bach flower essence too.
Thanks. My friend has some of those flower essences; I suppose it's worth a try!
I feel you. I experience similar symptoms when I read about all of the insane things happening in politics, education, etc. I’d also like to know how to deal with it. A lot of people say to study/practice stoicism, but acknowledging a threat to your well-being is spearheaded through all of facets of society and that you’re almost powerless to stop it as an individual is deeply disturbing.
I definitely lean towards stoic philosophies. But it's been awhile since I've done any in depth studies on the principles and applications. One thing that resonated strongly with me back when I did study that type of philosophy was the use of thought experiments. They are a powerful way to change one's perspective and therefore physiological response to a stress. I can't change the current state of the world but if I can change my viewpoint at a subconscious level I think I can change my response. Thank you Summer; I think this is a really helpful point.
Found here:
How are you coping? Literally- How?

I thought this Peat quote was pretty insightful and relevant to your question, OP.
Oh this golden! Thank you!

TanyaHarris

Our future is uncertain. Despite our best efforts we could end up debilitated due to disease or freak accidents. Or we could end up loosing our freedom, civil rights, etc. Maybe loose our income or ability to acquire quality food/water. It's just reality. Consciously, I prefer to accept those possibilities and live my life to the fullest rather than to live in constant fear. I'm somewhat intelligent and mostly rational so I do pretty well for myself. I also try to be as resourceful and informed as possible so can I have the best chance in any situation. And yet, when I'm in intense situations, my body goes into panic mode. I can still maintain rational thought and coherence but my stomach goes haywire, I experience tremors and shaking, blood sugar issues, etc., even though I consciously know that all I can do is make the best possible decisions and just deal with it. Problem is, the physical issues last for days sometimes weeks after the threat is over. It definitely has the potential to trigger something severe and long term.

As far as general health, besides these panic episodes, I feel like I'm in better shape than ever before. I doubt any dietary or supplemental change is going help with this.

I know some people use 'box breathing' for these situations but I tried that and doesn't help. I've tried bag breathing as well; doesn't help. Maybe I'm just doing these techniques wrong... I don't know. Maybe I need to practice them daily for them to have an effect?

I used to do a form of meditation called zazen (with some Buddhists, not in a corporate setting). I'm thinking of taking that up again but I realize there are some pitfalls with that.

Anyone have thoughts on this topic they wish to share?
Anyone ask RP about this or something similar (he seems like one of those people who is calm and chill no matter what)?
If you listen to what Dr. Jennifer Daniels has to say, her clinical experience shows that those stress hormones literally have to be dumped into the toilet, meaning frequent bowel movements/ laxatives/enemas, plenty of fluids, whatever it takes to get that poison out of your body, so it doesn’t hang around and keep causing you grief. I just told my kids this same thing for dealing with life’s pitfalls, that when life throws you a curveball, you need to poop it out, and pee it out.

OP
Zpol

Zpol

If you listen to what Dr. Jennifer Daniels has to say, her clinical experience shows that those stress hormones literally have to be dumped into the toilet, meaning frequent bowel movements/ laxatives/enemas, plenty of fluids, whatever it takes to get that poison out of your body, so it doesn’t hang around and keep causing you grief. I just told my kids this same thing for dealing with life’s pitfalls, that when life throws you a curveball, you need to poop it out, and pee it out.
Interesting. I guess I never considered the possibility of expelling stress hormones in that way, but makes sense. Thanks.

MichaelY

If you want to avoid panic in a real life crisis, have you done any prepping at all ? Weapons, 6 month supply dehydrated food, toothpaste, soap, toothbrush, water filters, etc...it's a scary world out there today, having supplies might help calm you mentally.

Peeno

Lower Cortisol and Raise Dopamine/Gaba. The black pill here is that it is your genetic nature to shake and become "Fearful" that is what saved your ancestors when they were chased by predators for millions of years.

lowering Cortisol by blocking ACTH will keep you calmer and Dopamine provides confidence, although dopamine does also raise adrenaline, this is why dopamine agonists are great because they simply bind the dopamine receptors making you confident and euphoric without conversion to adrenaline.

Androsterone for Gaba is great and can crush adrenaline in my experience.

golder

Which substance do you use for blocking ACTH
Which dopamine agonist do you recommend
Thanks!

Energizer

If you want to avoid panic in a real life crisis, have you done any prepping at all ? Weapons, 6 month supply dehydrated food, toothpaste, soap, toothbrush, water filters, etc...it's a scary world out there today, having supplies might help calm you mentally.
This^

Peeno

Which substance do you use for blocking ACTH
Which dopamine agonist do you recommendM
Melatonin is really good 1.5-3mg try lower end as it might be slightly anti androgenic.
lowers ACTH and dopamine release which can calm you down lowering adrenaline.

Ashwagandha can calm adrenals a lot but for some reason different brands effect me different, True Veda Ashwagandha makes me very calm and i assume lowers cortisol a fair bit.

For dopamine try 7-15mg of zinc as picolinate a day. It is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals