Coffee + Marijuana And Racing Heart And Panic

barefooter

I'm not much of a pot smoker, and in general I tend to lay off of it, because it can tend to make me feel anxious, paranoid, and have delusional thoughts. However, never have I experienced anything as horrible as last night. I hadn't smoked in over a month, and I decided I would give it a try again, and pay very close attention to set and setting to ensure a good outcome. I've really enjoyed listening to music alone while high in the past, so I decided I would smoke some pot, and lay under a heat lamp with an eye pillow while listening to my favorite music.

Before doing this I had a big dinner, some milk with instant coffee, and I was feeling really good. I didn't think too much of the coffee, because it wasn't a lot, and I've been having lots of caffeine. I took 4 big hits from a vape pen (I've smoked way more, although admittedly my tolerance is low right now), put the eye mask on, and settled into a relaxed position under my heat lamp, while laying on a heating pad and listening to music.

This got crazy fast. I started to feel incredibly warm and euphoric laying under the lamp. After what was probably only 5 minutes (but felt way longer), I was starting to get the most crazy intense body high I've ever experienced. I felt like my whole body was having an orgasm, and I was just laying there. I got super into it for a few minutes, and then my mind clicks back in and I observe things and I think it felt like I was breathing strangely (maybe really deep and slow) or holding my breath--really not sure, it's all hazy. Then, I notice my heart and it's racing. I begin to get scared, and grab my phone to use the timer to check my pulse. I can barely focus on anything for more than a few seconds, so checking my pulse is nearly impossible and I'm freaking out. I wasn't able to get an accurate reading, but I counted beats for 10 seconds, and it was over 20 and maybe as high as 25, so somewhere in the range of 120 to 150 BPM.

At this point I'm high out of my mind and freaking out, and it didn't occur to me that I might be having a panic attack. I've only ever had a panic attack once and it was maybe ten years ago, so it's not something I'm very familiar with. The other interesting thing is, I don't think I was hyperventilating, it was just that my metabolism seemed to have jumped through the roof. I ended up calling 911 because I became afraid I was going to die and didn't want to chance it, but before they arrived, I realized I was most likely having a panic attack, and it occurred to me that I needed to eat. I nearly chugged a half gallon of OJ, a quarter gallon of milk, and a bunch of salt, and felt slightly comforted. The medics arrived, said I was fine, and my heart rate slowly dropped as I rode it out for a few hours and finally fell asleep. I should also note that I was very warm the rest of the night with a temp just over 99.

It was crazy though, because I consumed an immense amount of liquid and calories in a very short time that would have usually caused me tremendous bloating, but it seems my metabolism was raging so out of control that my body processed it all very quickly and my stomach was flat. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any thoughts on what might have caused this? Could it be the combination of caffeine, heat lamp, and pot? Also, I've been hearing a bit about Wim Hof lately, which makes me wonder, did I somehow accidentally slip into some strange breathing pattern that revved my metabolism up?

And I'll definitely be staying away from pot. While I've had some good experiences with it in the past, I've been burned one too many times and it's just not worth taking the risk anymore. I was even scared to lay under my heat lamp after work today because of the experience--**** that!

I think the weed you get these days is just bred for that strong head high. The canabinoids are out of balance in proportion to each other. This is good for potheads but not so good for the lightweights because its very anxiety provoking.

My take on the whole marijuana-induced-panic/paranoia is that because it relaxes the nervous system, whatever anxiety/emotion is repressed by the body gets released. Because this relaxation is drug-induced, your body/mind can't repress as it normally would. And because you don't know what's going on, you just feel these negative emotions, it makes the experience that much more uncomfortable. At least, that's my theory based on my own experiences.

OP
B

barefooter

solaire_of_astora said:
post 113788 My take on the whole marijuana-induced-panic/paranoia is that because it relaxes the nervous system, whatever anxiety/emotion is repressed by the body gets released. Because this relaxation is drug-induced, your body/mind can't repress as it normally would. And because you don't know what's going on, you just feel these negative emotions, it makes the experience that much more uncomfortable. At least, that's my theory based on my own experiences.

Interesting, that seems like a reasonable theory. I had developed a slightly different theory based on my good and bad experiences, which is that weed doesn't directly cause anxiety/panic, but that the fear of feeling different or the ability to focus on minute bodily sensations can lead to things spiraling out of control. I observed this in the past with things like becoming hyper aware of my heart beat, when it was absolutely normal, and that frightening me, because time was slowed and I was able to focus on it so well. My theory was that I didn't actually have any more anxiety on weed, but when I did, I became hyper aware of it, which drove me into a downward spiral--a meta anxiety of sorts.

Eventually, I learned to use this intense focus while high to have enjoyable experiences listening to music, dancing, or just laying under my covers with my eyes closed and focusing on bodily sensations. When things went well, it felt like a super power of sorts, which is why I continued to experiment even though I had a multitude of bad trips. My recent experience seems to call my theory into question, because it seems that the weed directly raised my heart rate, as by the time I became aware of it things were already out of control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spondive

I have had a similar experience with pot if I think I have done too much..one time I took 2 bong hits and I had severe anxiety and my measured heart rate was in the 150's. I was panicking and thinking it was because at the time I was on higher doses of thyroid. Anyway I haven't tried it since and that was about 2 years ago.

I was contemplating since I personally and most people get the munchies and strong cravings for sweets particularly is marijuana increase metabolism so much that we got very hypoglycemic and require a tremendous amount of fuel?

Also I can't remember where I read studies on pub med that people who use pot tend to be more lean despite eating a higher amount of calories

Nikita

Last night I had this kind of experience man ! Like i am going to have a heart attack and my whole body in a electricity current ! I don't know what happened but yes it was my first time .my dad took me to the hospital and they gave me sodium glucose solution and immediately my Boody sooths and electric feeling gone ! I believe these attacks has something to do with dehydration,electrolyte imbalanace thus leads central nervous system dysregulation !

olowshinenine

Forum Supporter
Dude this happened to me almost exactly. This is why I don't touch weed. It's too trippy for me and gives me massive panic attacks.