How prolactin causes hair loss

Jamsey

Thanks for sharing your knowledge man. Out of curiosity do you use anything topically for your hair at all? I know everyone has strengths/weaknesses in different vectors regarding hair loss so there’s degrees of personalisation, but would be interested to hear about your protocol.
Sorry I missed this. I don’t do too much topically, as I’ve found that lifestyle and diet play a much bigger role in my hair health. I occasionally do a mct oil hair mask, which I find beneficial every once in a while to kill or inhibit any microbes that lead to dandruff or itching, but not much else.

Jamsey

Also, been thinking about the relation between histamine(h1 receptors) and immune activation(interferon gamma). I came across some old posts from Travis about brain mast cells, which I feel could explain how histamine/mast cells cause excess immune activation, perhaps in the scalp as well.

A few interesting quotes from this

Mast cells travel to the brain a fact which has been proven in two separate rat studies—at minimum”

These results are direct biochemical evidence for a contribution by MCs to brain HA levels, and indicate that thalamic MCs contribute up to 90% of the HA in thalamus, and up to 50% of whole brain HA levels.' ―Goldschmidt

“Mast cells are migratory cells, induced by both by immunogenic stimulation and radiation (Ibrahim, 1973). These have been shown capable of migrating to the brain where they can contribute up to 90% of total histamine.”

Histamine is released as a result of parasitic infection and resistant food peptides.”

“There is increasing evidence linking gut local inflammatory events with the intake of nutrients. Our recent studies, using the conscious lymph fistula rat model, demonstrate that fat absorption activates the intestinal mucosal mast cells. This is accompanied by a dramatic increase in the lymphatic release of mast cell mediators including histamine, rat mucosal mast cell protease II (RMCPII), as well as the lipid mediator prostaglandin D2 (PGD2).”

“Mast cell migration could perhaps be reduced by avoiding dry starch particles and the ω−6 fatty acids. “

Jamsey

More thoughts on mast cells

“Prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) is a lipid mediator, predominantly released from mast cells”

“Mast cells release huge amount of prostaglandin D2 (PGD2). They release so much PGD2 that testing for it in urine is one of the more common steps in diagnosing mast cell disease. PGD2 has been linked to hair loss, especially in the scalp of men who experience hair loss.”

This study below provides very conclusive evidence that prostaglandin D₂ occupies a central role in hair loss.

golder

More thoughts on mast cells

“Prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) is a lipid mediator, predominantly released from mast cells”

“Mast cells release huge amount of prostaglandin D2 (PGD2). They release so much PGD2 that testing for it in urine is one of the more common steps in diagnosing mast cell disease. PGD2 has been linked to hair loss, especially in the scalp of men who experience hair loss.”

This study below provides very conclusive evidence that prostaglandin D₂ occupies a central role in hair loss.

Topical cyproheptadine to the rescue?

jondoeuk

Topical cyproheptadine to the rescue?

Cetirizine leads to a reduction of certain prostaglandins that have been well documented in the hair loss pathway, as well as inflammation cascade Efficacy of Cetirizine 1% Versus Minoxidil 5% Topical Solution in the Treatment of Male Alopecia: A Randomized, Single-blind Controlled Study | Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences

Latanoprost is another option https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(11)00601-3/fulltext

However, you would still need to target 5AR, either with a 5ARi or (non-)steroidal anti-androgen.

Last edited:

golder

Cetirizine leads to a reduction of certain prostaglandins that have been well documented in the hair loss pathway, as well as inflammation cascade Efficacy of Cetirizine 1% Versus Minoxidil 5% Topical Solution in the Treatment of Male Alopecia: A Randomized, Single-blind Controlled Study | Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences

Latanoprost is another option https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(11)00601-3/fulltext

However, you would still need to target 5AR, either with a 5ARi or (non-)steroidal anti-androgen.
Certrizine decides prostaglandins more so than cypro? I’ll have to dissolve some in water and make a topcical spray.

Which of the anti androgens do you think is the safest? RU58841? Pyrilutamide?

PhilParma

Certrizine decides prostaglandins more so than cypro? I’ll have to dissolve some in water and make a topcical spray.

Which of the anti androgens do you think is the safest? RU58841? Pyrilutamide?

I don't know if there's a way to source pure cetirizine powder. I crush cetirizine tablets with a pill crusher. Dissolve the powder in 4oz vodka. Filter the solution with a coffee filter. I do this together with bromocriptine tablets.

Setipiprant will also reduce prostaglandin D2. You can buy the pure powder, but it's difficult to mix a workable solution. This is the recipe that works for me:

1oz glass bottle
1000mg seti, (4-5% of solution?)
50% ethanol, 20% polysorbate 80, 30% DMI

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

on top of the 5 years ive used it and 100% noticed it works.....theres also a fair bit of science

How do you use taurine for hair loss?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Local hair follicle prolactin receptor expression is not controlled by circulating prolactin, and is not affected by central dopamine agonists or dopamine. While lowering prolactin will help hair loss, it is more of a bandaid as the prolactin receptor expression in hair follicles remains elevated. This receptor expression is primarily controlled by interferon gamma.

“The very same research study identified the proinflammatory cytokines, IFNγ and TNFα, as regulators of PRL expression in HFs. Interestingly, dopamine, known as an inhibitor of PRL pituitary secretions, has no effect on PRL or PRL-R expression in human HFs [22]”

“Interferon (IFN) γ increased PRL IR in the epithelium of human HFs”

This is one reason why topical cyclosporine works so well.
Taurine seems to be effective at lowering both of those cytokines, so that might very well be the mechanism by which Taurine is so helpful for hair loss.

IFNy:
1. "the serum level of IFN-γ in taurine group and chemotherapy + taurine group was significantly lower than that in model group and chemotherapy group ..."
- Effect of taurine on immune function in mice with T-cell lymphoma during chemotherapy - PubMed

2. "...decreased the expressions of pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin-8 (il-8) and interferon-γ (ifn-γ)."
- Dietary taurine modulates hepatic oxidative status, ER stress and inflammation in juvenile turbot (Scophthalmus maximus L.) fed high carbohydrate diets - PubMed

TNFalpha:
1. Taurine chloramine inhibits production of nitric oxide and TNF-alpha in activated RAW 264.7 cells by mechanisms that involve transcriptional and translational events - PubMed

2. "Taurine can decrease the levels of TNF-alpha and NF-kappaB."
- [Effects of taurine on TNF-alpha and NF-kappaB expression of liver injury after limbs ischemia/reperfusion in rats] - PubMed

3. "In addition, LPS-induced TNF-alpha production was reduced by more than 40% by taurine, an effect that was also reversed by strychnine."
- Taurine blunts LPS-induced increases in intracellular calcium and TNF-alpha production by Kupffer cells - PubMed

4. "Taurine reduced the genes expression of IL-1β, TNF-α, IL-6, cyclooxygenase-2, and inducible nitric oxide synthase,..."
- Dietary taurine supplementation attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory responses and oxidative stress of broiler chickens at an early age - PubMed

TNFa also increases cellular uptake of Taurine, suggesting that this happens because taurine functions as an endogenous TNFa antagonist.
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha stimulates taurine uptake and transporter gene expression in human intestinal Caco-2 cells - PubMed

golder

Taurine seems to be effective at lowering both of those cytokines, so that might very well be the mechanism by which Taurine is so helpful for hair loss.

IFNy:
1. "the serum level of IFN-γ in taurine group and chemotherapy + taurine group was significantly lower than that in model group and chemotherapy group ..."
- Effect of taurine on immune function in mice with T-cell lymphoma during chemotherapy - PubMed

2. "...decreased the expressions of pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin-8 (il-8) and interferon-γ (ifn-γ)."
- Dietary taurine modulates hepatic oxidative status, ER stress and inflammation in juvenile turbot (Scophthalmus maximus L.) fed high carbohydrate diets - PubMed

TNFalpha:
1. Taurine chloramine inhibits production of nitric oxide and TNF-alpha in activated RAW 264.7 cells by mechanisms that involve transcriptional and translational events - PubMed

- [Effects of taurine on TNF-alpha and NF-kappaB expression of liver injury after limbs ischemia/reperfusion in rats] - PubMed

3. "In addition, LPS-induced TNF-alpha production was reduced by more than 40% by taurine, an effect that was also reversed by strychnine."
- Taurine blunts LPS-induced increases in intracellular calcium and TNF-alpha production by Kupffer cells - PubMed

4. "Taurine reduced the genes expression of IL-1β, TNF-α, IL-6, cyclooxygenase-2, and inducible nitric oxide synthase,..."
- Dietary taurine supplementation attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory responses and oxidative stress of broiler chickens at an early age - PubMed

TNFa also increases cellular uptake of Taurine, suggesting that this happens because taurine functions as an endogenous TNFa antagonist.
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha stimulates taurine uptake and transporter gene expression in human intestinal Caco-2 cells - PubMed
Do you think topical taurine would be more beneficial than oral… I guess the combination of both would always be best?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Do you think topical taurine would be more beneficial than oral… I guess the combination of both would always be best?
Yes exactly, I tried topical and it does have a good effect but it is relatively short lived ,so would have to be done several times a day . oral taurine feels longer lasting in terms of benefits for hair.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Jam

Is dairy high in proactin? Because it makes my hair fall out for some reason.
Calcium in dairy lowers prolactin. However, if you it irritates your gut this can cause hair loss.

Jamsey

IFNy:

TNFalpha:

Thanks for sharing. Just wanted to point out that the study I posted states that “tumour necrosis factor (TNF) α decreased both PRL and PRLR IR.” I don’t think people should try to boost tnf-a, but from a prolactin receptor view, it is is either beneficial for hair or a non player.

Jamsey

Interesting additions to the tnf-a hair connection.

“The present study confirms a strong link between TNF-α antagonist exposure (class effect) and the occurrence of alopecia.”

“Our findings indicate that microinjury stimulates the wound-healing mechanism via TNF-α/Wnt/VEGF surge to induce hair growth, and that blocking TNF-α inhibits this growth process.”

Another piece of evidence for micro needling / derma rolling. Through a little reading, I think this effect has to do with tnfr2 vs tnfr1. A little excerpt from Wikipedia explaining the difference

“TNF signaling occurs through two receptors: TNFR1 and TNFR2.[8][9] TNFR1 is constituitively expressed on most cell types, whereas TNFR2 is restricted primarily to endothelial, epithelial, and subsets of immune cells.[8][9] TNFR1 signaling tends to be pro-inflammatory and apoptotic, whereas TNFR2 signaling is anti-inflammatory and promotes cell proliferation.[8][9] Suppression of TNFR1 signaling has been important for treatment of autoimmune disease,[10] whereas TNFR2 signaling promotes wound healing.[9]

Also, interesting to note the name change.

Tumor necrosis factor (TNF, cachexin, or cachectin; formerly known as tumor necrosis factor alpha or TNF-α[5][6])”

Jamsey

Tnf-a seems to act as some sort of check on interferon production, pointing back to interferon gamma as the main player in hair loss. Chronic high levels seem to be bad for hair, but maybe brief bursts are needed for stem cell proliferation.

“Several studies have proposed possible mechanisms for the paradoxical development of autoimmune diseases with TNF inhibitors, which may help to explain these case reports of worsening of AA on this therapy. The phenomenon is thought to involve plasmacytoid dendritic cells and interferon (IFN) production. Tumor necrosis factor regulates IFN production, and IFN production by plasmacytoid dendritic cells becomes unchecked with anti-TNF therapy.15 Interferons have been implicated in the pathogenesis of many autoimmune diseases, including AA.16 Patients receiving interferon alfa treatment have been reported to develop AA, suggesting a possible role of IFN in promoting inflammation in AA.17 It is possible that in predisposed individuals TNF inhibitors induce aberrant IFN production at the tissue level, leading to the loss of immune privilege that is essential in the development of AA.16

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals