How prolactin causes hair loss

Mauritio

The hair seems to be a target AND source of prolactin, this is what the researchers found in this study.
They also showed that increasing prolactin in the hair follicle basically kills the hair follicle by removing it from the blood supply (a.k.a catagen phase).

1683547081333.png

In my opinion prolactin is a central part of hair loss and MPB. I remember a member on the forum reported that his hair grew back when he took bromocriptine, which is used against prolactinima.

"Treatment of organ-cultured human scalp HFs with high-dose PRL (400 ng/ml) results in a significant inhibition of hair shaft elongation and premature catagen development, along with reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis of hair bulb keratinocytes (Ki-67/terminal dUTP nick-end labeling immunohistomorphometry). This shows that PRL receptors, expressed in HFs, are functional and that human skin and human scalp HFs are both direct targets and sources of PRL. Our data suggest that PRL acts as an autocrine hair growth modulator with catagen-promoting functions and that the hair growth-inhibitory effects of PRL demonstrated here may underlie the as yet ill-understood hair loss in patients with hyperprolactinemia."
- Human Scalp Hair Follicles Are Both a Target and a Source of Prolactin, which Serves as an Autocrine and/or Paracrine Promoter of Apoptosis-Driven Hair Follicle Regression

Darkmortal

The hair seems to be a target AND source of prolactin, this is what the researchers found in this study.
They also showed that increasing prolactin in the hair follicle basically kills the hair follicle by removing it from the blood supply (a.k.a catagen phase).

View attachment 50097
In my opinion prolactin is a central part of hair loss and MPB. I remember a member on the forum reported that his hair grew back when he took bromocriptine, which is used against prolactinima.

"Treatment of organ-cultured human scalp HFs with high-dose PRL (400 ng/ml) results in a significant inhibition of hair shaft elongation and premature catagen development, along with reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis of hair bulb keratinocytes (Ki-67/terminal dUTP nick-end labeling immunohistomorphometry). This shows that PRL receptors, expressed in HFs, are functional and that human skin and human scalp HFs are both direct targets and sources of PRL. Our data suggest that PRL acts as an autocrine hair growth modulator with catagen-promoting functions and that the hair growth-inhibitory effects of PRL demonstrated here may underlie the as yet ill-understood hair loss in patients with hyperprolactinemia."
- Human Scalp Hair Follicles Are Both a Target and a Source of Prolactin, which Serves as an Autocrine and/or Paracrine Promoter of Apoptosis-Driven Hair Follicle Regression
So what could be a good topical to decrease prolactin levels in scalp tissue?

golder

Definitely an underrated hormone regarding hair loss (other than the RP community). What are peoples thoughts on a topical anti-prolactin? Has anyone used one or theorises which might work best?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

So what could be a good topical to decrease prolactin levels in scalp tissue?

Definitely an underrated hormone regarding hair loss (other than the RP community). What are peoples thoughts on a topical anti-prolactin? Has anyone used one or theorises which might work best?
Caffeine , and thyroid are known to help . Bromocriptine topically has never been tried for hair loss as far as im aware. But it is solbule in water and ethanol, so it should work. Youd have to figure out the dosage. Id use way less than topical, since it will be much more concentrated if applied locally topically.
Very cool. How safe would bromocriptine be to take?
Just made a thread on this :

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I take bromocriptine. Thickened my hair very noticeably when I first started it. All the vellus hairs (tiny minituarized hairs) I used to have on my hair line finally grew into thick terminal hairs and made my hair line become straight again before the small hairs could fall off. which makes sense because Peat says prolactin is the "molting hormones" so blocking prolactin should prevent molting

Darkmortal

What do you guys think about this? How many tablets should i dissolve in what quantity of liquid?

Attachments

• 3D61BBF6-1437-47CA-84F1-B7667E4C48DF.jpeg
    3D61BBF6-1437-47CA-84F1-B7667E4C48DF.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 93
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

What do you guys think about this? How many tablets should i dissolve in what quantity of liquid?
I'd dissolve it in ethanol because it also helps absorption . I'd dilute it until you get 0.05mg per drop ,then start with just 1 or 2 drops on your scalp and see how your body responds .
You will get systemic absorption and higher levels, especially in the brain.

Darkmortal

I'd dissolve it in ethanol because it also helps absorption . I'd dilute it until you get 0.05mg per drop ,then start with just 1 or 2 drops on your scalp and see how your body responds .
You will get systemic absorption and higher levels, especially in the brain.
Is this safe? And even if we saw results, For how long should we use this ?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Is this safe? And even if we saw results, For how long should we use this ?
You have to decide that yourself . I haven't tried it topically.

CastorTroy

Since prolactin rises during intense exercise, would it be a good idea to supplement a handful of cooked velvet beans before workout?

md_a

Bayer’s HMI-115. This treatment targets the prolactin (PRL) receptor to cure hair loss.

Update: March 19, 2023 — Looks like HMI-115 Phase II clinical trials for androgenetic alopecia in China will start soon.

Key quote regarding the antibody drug that has already been developed and gone through Phase 1 trials:

“The antibody was effective in stimulating hair growth in aged stump-tailed macaques. It nearly doubled the number of terminal hairs after 6 months. Even in previously fully bald areas, and showed a sustainable impact even after 2 years post treatment. Notably, the stump-tail macaque model is considered one of the rare predictive animal models for male and female pattern hair loss in humans.”

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Bayer’s HMI-115. This treatment targets the prolactin (PRL) receptor to cure hair loss.

Update: March 19, 2023 — Looks like HMI-115 Phase II clinical trials for androgenetic alopecia in China will start soon.

Key quote regarding the antibody drug that has already been developed and gone through Phase 1 trials:

Thanks for sharing . That's very intriguing . Especially that the monkeys kept their new hair even four years after stopping the treatment.

The website you linked mentioned a reddit poster who was part of the clinical trial and apparently had very promising results ,but unfortunately he deleted the corresponding posts.

It seems like prolactin inhibition is the way to go.

ive taken bromocriptine and cabergoline orally and have not seen new hair growth, although i did not stop masturbating when i was taking it. Ill try taking bromo/caber and do nofap to see if something happens. When i take bromo doses over 1.25 mg i get really bad stuffy nose, .5mg bromo seems to be the sweet spot for me. I only take .25mg caber at a time and only twice a week, and always take it with cyproheptadine.

Darkmortal

ive taken bromocriptine and cabergoline orally and have not seen new hair growth, although i did not stop masturbating when i was taking it. Ill try taking bromo/caber and do nofap to see if something happens. When i take bromo doses over 1.25 mg i get really bad stuffy nose, .5mg bromo seems to be the sweet spot for me. I only take .25mg caber at a time and only twice a week, and always take it with cyproheptadine.
Do you have mpb? Also did you try it topically?

PhilParma

If you're going to do this, why not use idealabs Lisuride? That way you don't have to crush, dissolve, and filter bromocriptine tablets.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals