Procyanidin B-2 Extracted from Apples Grows Hair in Clinical Trials of Male Pattern Baldness

Mauritio

After 1 month on apple polyphenols I notice:

- less hair loss
- less water retention in face and body
- muscles look fuller (pro-liver effect)

All in all the effect is not super strong, but noticable so I will continue.

hierundjetzt

After 1 month on apple polyphenols I notice:

- less hair loss
- less water retention in face and body
- muscles look fuller (pro-liver effect)

All in all the effect is not super strong, but noticable so I will continue.
Muscles look fuller? With or without weightlifting?

Mauritio

Mauritio

I started replacing the apple juice rinse with the following: I dissolve a capsule of the apple polyphenols and I apply it to my scalp. It should work since polyphenols are water soluble and the new solution is even more concentrated. Makes my hair really happy.

I might even come close the study I posted in terms of procyanidin B2 concentration since they only used about 4 ml of 1% solution per day. Which is about 40mg of Procyanidin b2, and my capsule contains about 125mg of total polyphenols of which a good chunk should be proB2.

"Treatment and placebo groups were followed for 16 weeks to evaluate the efficacy and safety of topical procyanidin B2. The treatment product we used in our study, 1% procyanidin B2 dimer obtained from apple (malus pumila), was prepared in 100 cc spray cans containing biotin and dexpanthenol. The placebo product was prepared in the same way, but the active ingredient, the procyanidin B2 dimer, was not added. It was stated that both groups should apply the treatment with 2 × 9 puffs (each puff 0.2 ml) per day. Patients’ vertex photographs and trichoscan records that were taken before the treatment and at the end of the 16th week were evaluated."

Last edited:

Ben.

I started replacing the apple juice rinse with the following: I dissolve a capsule of the apple polyphenols and I apply it to my scalp. It should work since polyphenols are water soluble and the new solution is even more concentrated. Makes my hair really happy.

I might even come close the study I posted in terms of procyanidin B2 concentration since they only used about 4 ml of 1% solution per day. Which is about 40mg of Procyanidin b2, and my capsule contains about 125mg of total polyphenols of which a good chunk should be proB2.

"Treatment and placebo groups were followed for 16 weeks to evaluate the efficacy and safety of topical procyanidin B2. The treatment product we used in our study, 1% procyanidin B2 dimer obtained from apple (malus pumila), was prepared in 100 cc spray cans containing biotin and dexpanthenol. The placebo product was prepared in the same way, but the active ingredient, the procyanidin B2 dimer, was not added. It was stated that both groups should apply the treatment with 2 × 9 puffs (each puff 0.2 ml) per day. Patients’ vertex photographs and trichoscan records that were taken before the treatment and at the end of the 16th week were evaluated."

so you just open the capsule and let the powder "dissolve" in water and then spray/shower your head with it? Is that one capsule per day for the scalp? is that in addition to the oral intake?

Mauritio

so you just open the capsule and let the powder "dissolve" in water and then spray/shower your head with it? Is that one capsule per day for the scalp? is that in addition to the oral intake?
Yes, I just dissolve it and apply it to the scalp. If you dissolve it in apple juice you get even more polyphenols plus the added sugar.
Yes none of those studies used a combined topical and oral approach, although they were both effective. So oral+ topical combined should be even better.

Mossy

Here is an in-depth study of the phenolic components of various apples. Some are better than others. I could see where a supplement supplier may want to focus on the higher-content apples. (At least in theory.)

Analysis of Phenolic Components and Related Biological Activities of 35 Apple (Malus pumila Mill.) Cultivars​

I just received an order of apple powder (malus pumila), which as I consider it would seem to be low in polyphenol content, versus something like the Swanson polyphenol extract. This is just a guess though, based on the omission of the use of "extract" or "polyphenols" in the name of the supplement.

Mauritio

Thanks for sharing!

I might add a little niacinamide to my topical solution, since its water soluble as well and even a few mg is plenty when its applied locally.

Hitchens

Mauritio