Interesting Study: Hair Follicles Have Olfactory Receptor

Jeek

Olfactory receptor OR2AT4 regulates human hair growth

Abstract
Olfactory receptors are expressed by different cell types throughout the body and regulate physiological cell functions beyond olfaction. In particular, the olfactory receptor OR2AT4 has been shown to stimulate keratinocyte proliferation in the skin. Here, we show that the epithelium of human hair follicles, particularly the outer root sheath, expresses OR2AT4, and that specific stimulation of OR2AT4 by a synthetic sandalwood odorant (Sandalore®) prolongs human hair growth ex vivo by decreasing apoptosis and increasing production of the anagen-prolonging growth factor IGF-1. In contrast, co-administration of the specific OR2AT4 antagonist Phenirat® and silencing of OR2AT4 inhibit hair growth. Together, our study identifies that human hair follicles can engage in olfactory receptor-dependent chemosensation and require OR2AT4-mediated signaling to sustain their growth, suggesting that olfactory receptors may serve as a target in hair loss therapy.

AWE-some! Sandalore is gonna be my new favorite scent :D

"Olfactory receptors (ORs) are part of an evolutionarily ancient chemosensory signaling system that long predates the development of smell sensation (olfaction)1,2,3,4,5,6,7." :eek:

lvysaur

I know this is only about the follicle, but what is Peat's view on the hair shaft? Mainstream science says that it is dead tissue, but my experience with hair texture changing suggests otherwise.

LeeLemonoil

Cedrol is shown to better hairhrowth more effectively than minoxidil.
It’s probably also an ligand of that OR.
ORs are now known to be expressed virtually in all tissues. Finding ligands is now a popular sport in many a lab.

Nicole W.

Rosemary essential oil also stimulates hair growth. When I lost a bunch of hair due to a low thyroid/ high stress time in my life, a drop of rosemary essential oil mixed with mustard seed oil as the carrier, massaged into the scalp, restored my hair beautifully. I still use it about once a week for maintenance. I find it very effective.

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Rosemary essential oil also stimulates hair growth. When I lost a bunch of hair due to a low thyroid/ high stress time in my life, a drop of rosemary essential oil mixed with mustard seed oil as the carrier, massaged into the scalp, restored my hair beautifully. I still use it about once a week for maintenance. I find it very effective.

That is awesome. It actually worked.
Can you please link me the products you used?

I'd be willing to experiment with this.

Nicole W.

That is awesome. It actually worked.
Can you please link me the products you used?

I'd be willing to experiment with this.
Hi there,

I used a mustard oil by a company called Down to Earth Organic Foods. It is very, very pungent which indicates it’s “ hot” nature. This quality increases circulation to the scalp and skin. As I understand it, there are vitamins and inherent properties in this oil that specifically benefit the scalp/ hair. Many Indian women use mustard oil on their hair to ward off hair fall, restore hair that has been lost and to maintain the health and color of the hair. They often use Alma in conjunction with this oil. This is a common folk remedy in India.
This product used to be available on Amazon but is sold out... In the US mustard seed oil can not be sold as an edible oil due to the high erucic acid content which has been deemed toxic. As a result it’s hard to find here. However, in India it’s widely used as a cooking oil and generally regarded as healthy when used in moderation . I’ve tried many different brands and not all of them have that sharp mustard smell which makes me suspicious that it might be blended with lesser ( more dangerous) oils. Just wanted you to be aware of this so you don’t waste your money. The mustard oil is cheap but shipping can be fairly costly. When I run out of my current bottle I think I’m going to buy direct from the company.
As far as the rosemary essential oil is concerned, it’s pretty inexpensive so there’s little risk of getting a synthetic or adulterated product which means you can purchase it anywhere safely. Whole Foods or your local health food store will carry it. It is quite potent. One or two drops is all you need for 30 ml of mustard oil. When I lost my hair, I would put a couple drops of the mustard/ rosemary blend in my hand, rub my palms together and run my hands through my hair while watching tv. After the scalp massage, you can leave it in or wash it out. I really was surprised by how effective it was at restoring my hair. I really like it still and that’s why I continue to do it. It leaves my hair feeling great, my scalp tingly, hair full of body, shiny etc...