How prolactin causes hair loss

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Is dairy high in proactin? Because it makes my hair fall out for some reason.
I get the same effect from milk. I think its a gut issue.

southcesar

At the beginning of the thread, bromocriptine is recommended to reduce prolactin. Is cyproheptadine not recommended for the same reason? Do you have any reason to prefer one over the other?

The hair seems to be a target AND source of prolactin, this is what the researchers found in this study.
They also showed that increasing prolactin in the hair follicle basically kills the hair follicle by removing it from the blood supply (a.k.a catagen phase).

View attachment 50097
In my opinion prolactin is a central part of hair loss and MPB. I remember a member on the forum reported that his hair grew back when he took bromocriptine, which is used against prolactinima.

"Treatment of organ-cultured human scalp HFs with high-dose PRL (400 ng/ml) results in a significant inhibition of hair shaft elongation and premature catagen development, along with reduced proliferation and increased apoptosis of hair bulb keratinocytes (Ki-67/terminal dUTP nick-end labeling immunohistomorphometry). This shows that PRL receptors, expressed in HFs, are functional and that human skin and human scalp HFs are both direct targets and sources of PRL. Our data suggest that PRL acts as an autocrine hair growth modulator with catagen-promoting functions and that the hair growth-inhibitory effects of PRL demonstrated here may underlie the as yet ill-understood hair loss in patients with hyperprolactinemia."
- Human Scalp Hair Follicles Are Both a Target and a Source of Prolactin, which Serves as an Autocrine and/or Paracrine Promoter of Apoptosis-Driven Hair Follicle Regression
It may be a cause for some, but I know someone with high prolactin and she has the thickest hair. So it is not a cause for all.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It may be a cause for some, but I know someone with high prolactin and she has the thickest hair. So it is not a cause for all.
Yeah not everyone who has high prolactin has hair loss, but I think it's more likely that everyone with hair loss has high prolactin.
For some people high prolactin/stress just doesn't seem to cause any hair loss. As a matter of fact for some people NO amount of stress will cause hair loss, which is supported by the fact that some concentration camp survivors had a full head of hair.
So some people seem to be immune to hair loss no matter what . Not sure why, it might be a genetic component.

1698869164579.png

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals