Homeless Guys Have Tons Of Hair

boxers

Attachments

• 7c16232a-17fb-11e8-8312-05cdc5f9f4e7-780x520.jpg
    7c16232a-17fb-11e8-8312-05cdc5f9f4e7-780x520.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 22

morgan#1

Im losing my hair now, based on this thread.
I think all of us can cherry pick, depending on what we want to find. But for me I really don’t care whether their balding or not.

All of this is kind of demeaning to a homeless person, and for me I am ashamed that I got involved in this.

boxers

I think all of us can cherry pick, depending on what we want to find. But for me I really don’t care whether their balding or not.

All of this is kind of demeaning to a homeless person, and for me I am ashamed that I got involved in this.

It is an interesting obvervation. I did find some homeless men with perfect thick hair as well. But I find that in the general public as well.

Homeless people are in need of a lot of help and support. nearly all of them have
mental and emotional distress, addictions, have been abused. etc

mipp

It's not just the homeless guys. There are many men in bad shape, terrible eating habits, substance abuse who keep their hair. That's why I don't believe in the metabolism=hair loss connection. Maybe being unhealthy can cause reversible thinning but not mpb. And there's no way a 50 year old alcoholic with degenerative diseases and full head of hair is in better metabolic health then a balding 25 year old athlete.
In my late 20s I worked at the computer 10 h a day, was depressed, didn't go out much, smoked a pack of cigs a day and knew nothing about diet. Fapped like crazy too, haha. My hair was thick and strong but I wasnt in good health. My relatives would tell me I looked like crap, at some point I noticed I was getting out of breath after climbing a few stairs so I decied to make some changes. Quit smoking, started walking every day, stopped eating junk. As a result my mental and physical health improved, I lost a few kg but that's also when my mpb started. Of course it could be a coincidence but I've heard similar anecdotes from other guys.
My current view on mpb is that mainstream is mostly right. Androgens are directly involved. Some guys are susceptible, some are completely immune, it's hereditary. If you tank your testosterone with diet, alcohol, being sedentary etc. you may dealy it, maybe even prevent it.

Low PUFA intake. Good gut health because of calorie restriction in general. Limited exposure to screens/blue light. No exposure to birth control/copper/SSRI found in the water supply. Involuntary NoFap.
But then why are females not affected? They can eat all the PUFA and stare at the screens all day but they won't get permanent pattern hair loss no matter what.
Also about the blue light, I guess there's a lot of natural blue in daylight, homeless poeple get plenty just by being outside, more than most other people, and many times more than any screen could ever provide.

morgan#1

That's interesting.. could be a reason why theres seems to he no mpb in older aborigines. If you google photos of them you'll notice really old men still have thick hair and nobody is bald.
I don’t think aborigines are working on the stock market, but I could be wrong...
Aborigines are definitely out of the loop/society. I think they have their own society, which is I think more meaningful than our society.
Mind you, I wouldn’t want to be that...I’m not saying that I would choose to be in another society, I just think we have to fix the one we have.

lampofred

It's not just the homeless guys. There are many men in bad shape, terrible eating habits, substance abuse who keep their hair. That's why I don't believe in the metabolism=hair loss connection. Maybe being unhealthy can cause reversible thinning but not mpb. And there's no way a 50 year old alcoholic with degenerative diseases and full head of hair is in better metabolic health then a balding 25 year old athlete.
In my late 20s I worked at the computer 10 h a day, was depressed, didn't go out much, smoked a pack of cigs a day and knew nothing about diet. Fapped like crazy too, haha. My hair was thick and strong but I wasnt in good health. My relatives would tell me I looked like crap, at some point I noticed I was getting out of breath after climbing a few stairs so I decied to make some changes. Quit smoking, started walking every day, stopped eating junk. As a result my mental and physical health improved, I lost a few kg but that's also when my mpb started. Of course it could be a coincidence but I've heard similar anecdotes from other guys.
My current view on mpb is that mainstream is mostly right. Androgens are directly involved. Some guys are susceptible, some are completely immune, it's hereditary. If you tank your testosterone with diet, alcohol, being sedentary etc. you may dealy it, maybe even prevent it.

But then why are females not affected? They can eat all the PUFA and stare at the screens all day but they won't get permanent pattern hair loss no matter what.
Also about the blue light, I guess there's a lot of natural blue in daylight, homeless poeple get plenty just by being outside, more than most other people, and many times more than any screen could ever provide.

I think it's very likely that it was the cigarettes which were keeping your hair and that quitting smoking is what initiated the hair loss. Tobacco is very pro-metabolic and anti-estrogenic, even though smoking is harmful in other ways. Don't think it's wise to start smoking for hair though because even a super-contrarian like Dr. Peat has consistently been pretty adamant against smoking.

Women have higher progesterone which is protective. But even women have much thinner hair now than they did a few decades ago when metabolisms were much better. And even if women have mild crown thinning, you can't see it because of the rest of the long hair covering it up. Lots of post-menopausal women have this. And lots of women don't really have square hairlines anymore either.

And there's no way a 50 year old alcoholic with degenerative diseases and full head of hair is in better metabolic health then a balding 25 year old athlete.
This has been debunked many times: athletes are not healthy, even when they're young. Baldness is always a sign that something is wrong.

The 50 year-old alcoholic has lower levels of stress, and he's using the little knowledge about nutrition he has to deal with his pain, by using alcohol, cigarettes, masturbation, etc.

Your situation is similar to haidut's. He lost all his hair during his low carb period, and of course, he was also going through lots of stress, which just compounded the issue.

You felt better when you ditched those coping mechanisms because, yes, they themselves are toxic if used for a long time, and the additives they put in cigarettes are a big issue, not to mention the PUFA you were probably eating through junk food, but also because of STRESS hormones. Most people feel great when they start a ketogenic diet, they feel very euphoric and energetic, and they may feel like they have more stamina and can breath better, but it's just cortisol and adrenaline, which degenerate the body over time. Alcohol and cigarettes can be very valuable to reduce stress when you don't have much knowledge of nutrition, and the fact that you started balding after you made the "healthy changes" is an argument against your statement that balding has nothing to do with metabolism.

Also, it's not true at all that women can't get MPB. Lack of protein, too much estrogen and hypothyroidism can cause MPB in women too. My aunt started losing her when she was going through some tough times, and the hair loss stopped very soon after the she solved the problem.

Danny Roddy has talked about the contradictions regarding the mainstream idea that androgens cause MPB.

Tarmander

Wow. The theories in this thread are pretty out there. Sounds like all those homeless people are really living the dream!

On a serious note, I would bet it has a lot to do with alcohol. Here in Finland, all the drunks, whether they're truly on the streets (which is rare) or living in some kind of a homeless shelter have pretty good hair. And all they do is get drunk. Possibly it's the estrogen (though if Ray Peat and Danny Roddy are right then this should be bad for hair, right?), possibly something else.
This is a really good point. I have four uncles, all bald but one and he’s the only alcoholic.

boxers

This has been debunked many times: athletes are not healthy, even when they're young. Baldness is always a sign that something is wrong.

The 50 year-old alcoholic has lower levels of stress, and he's using the little knowledge about nutrition he has to deal with his pain, by using alcohol, cigarettes, masturbation, etc.

Your situation is similar to haidut's. He lost all his hair during his low carb period, and of course, he was also going through lots of stress, which just compounded the issue.

You felt better when you ditched those coping mechanisms because, yes, they themselves are toxic if used for a long time, and the additives they put in cigarettes are a big issue, not to mention the PUFA you were probably eating through junk food, but also because of STRESS hormones. Most people feel great when they start a ketogenic diet, they feel very euphoric and energetic, and they may feel like they have more stamina and can breath better, but it's just cortisol and adrenaline, which degenerate the body over time. Alcohol and cigarettes can be very valuable to reduce stress when you don't have much knowledge of nutrition, and the fact that you started balding after you made the "healthy changes" is an argument against your statement that balding has nothing to do with metabolism.

Also, it's not true at all that women can't get MPB. Lack of protein, too much estrogen and hypothyroidism can cause MPB in women too. My aunt started losing her when she was going through some tough times, and the hair loss stopped very soon after the she solved the problem.

Danny Roddy has talked about the contradictions regarding the mainstream idea that androgens cause MPB.

Can you show studies for these points, im interested in these topics
"
"athletes are not healthy"
"Baldness is always a sign that something is wrong."
"The 50 year-old alcoholic has lower levels of stress"
"feel great when they start a ketogenic diet, they feel very euphoric and energetic, and they may feel like they have more stamina and can breath better, but it's just cortisol and adrenaline, which degenerate the body over time"
"Lack of protein, too much estrogen and hypothyroidism can cause MPB in women too."

Last edited:

morgan#1

I know I go off on tangents, but maybe this is related. My friend lost her husband to cancer. It happened suddenly, and she aged so much because of the stress and hardship. It doesn’t seem to be internal (sense that hormonal markers were not that disturbed, it being so sudden). She’s a yoga instructor, very healthy, not underweight, eats anything she deems healthy. I think I underestimate the power of stress. She’s very well off, so the finances were not an issue. And she’s got a lot of friends, so social support was not an issue. Just the real trauma of this happening.

I know we’re supposed to go by the thread’s title, but that’s what it made me think of. I’m not good at coloring within the lines.

Also I’ve known people to get grey hair under stress. I don’t know if their hormonal markers are different as a result. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Energizer

The topic post rubs me the wrong way because there's an insinuation that being homeless is like a lifestyle that people have the luxury of choosing. Most people that do not have housing cannot afford to live anywhere and many are also mentally ill. They are often chronically ill, drug addicted, and some of the most unhealthy people I have seen. Most people that are "rough sleepers", do not live long, they do not have quality sleep (obviously), and they are always in fear that someone may hurt them or they will suffer being out in the elements. A lot of homeless people are younger. There are balding homeless people too, I think you see them less simply because my previous point, homeless people do not live long. Please stop romanticizing homelessness. The only good thing healthwise homeless people have is they are often outdoors a lot and get plenty of sunshine.

morgan#1

The topic post rubs me the wrong way because there's an insinuation that being homeless is like a lifestyle that people have the luxury of choosing. Most people that do not have housing cannot afford to live anywhere and many are also mentally ill. They are often chronically ill, drug addicted, and some of the most unhealthy people I have seen. Most people that are "rough sleepers", do not live long, they do not have quality sleep (obviously), and they are always in fear that someone may hurt them or they will suffer being out in the elements. A lot of homeless people are younger. There are balding homeless people too, I think you see them less simply because my previous point, homeless people do not live long. Please stop romanticizing homelessness. The only good thing healthwise homeless people have is they are often outdoors a lot and get plenty of sunshine.
I think it’s an important topic, not romanticizing here. I didn’t think about the younger homeless. And you bring up some good points. The fear issue is huge, and the girls/women who are homeless. Rape and assaults. This has made me think more about why it’s so prevalent. But of course this has nothing to do with hair...

Energizer

I think it’s an important topic, not romanticizing here. I didn’t think about the younger homeless. And you bring up some good points. The fear issue is huge, and the girls/women who are homeless. Rape and assaults. This has made me think more about why it’s so prevalent. But of course this has nothing to do with hair...

I don't think you were romanticizing either. OP's post seemed to romanticize, however. Yeah, regarding the assaults and rapes, glad I am not a woman and especially not a woman living on the streets. That sounds like hell on earth.

OP
P

Pufa

I just asked a question related to hair.. your making this about whether homeless life is good or bad and getting too emotional.

The forum isn't letting me post my comment, so I'll have to wait until the strange block goes away. I can pm you the studies if you want me too, but it would be more valuable to post them publicly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals