Is Estrogen Really Needed For Fat Loss?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sourced from ova hia: Is estrogen really needed for fat loss?

---

There has been a resurgence of estro-philes (estrogen lovers) lately who have been actively parading the internet from nook to cranny, aggressively throwing studies around to try and prove the essentially of estrogen for fat loss. Like really, let's not get hyper-emotional about this.

I'm not trying to say estrogen is not needed at all, there is a reason why men do express aromatase. We do need some. And by that I don't mean we need a lot. We aren't women, so let's just get some perspective for a moment.

The purpose of this article is to shed light on how much estrogen is actually needed; what the optimal level is and should be in order for us as men to stay healthy and manly.

Let's discuss a few side effects of elevated estrogen and how it's actually involved in fat gain, obesity and diabetes.

#1 Estrogen promotes fatty acid synthase
Fatty acid synthase (FAS) creates fats from glucose and elongates other shorter chain fats, such as butyrate, the MCTs and so on (R).

FAS is usually not that active, but when boosted by elevated estrogen and hyperinsulinemia, it contributes to elevated free fatty acids and triglycerides in the blood; all of which are elevated in obesity, cancer, diabetes, etc.

Estrogen also causes the retention of iron which, when in excess, also promotes lipogenesis and oxidative stress. People with elevated iron usually have elevated cholesterol as well as triglycerides and inflammation.

#2 Estrogen promotes adipogenesis
Estrogen is a known carcinogen (cancer promoter) which messes with cellular function and promotes excessive growth (proliferation).

One such form of growth is adipogenesis (R), which is the creation of new fat cells. The increased amount of fat cells release more estrogen and leptin in turn, both of which synergistically promote the aromatase.

#3 Estrogen promotes lipolysis
Estrogen promotes lipolysis and estrogen supplementation leads to elevated free fatty acids (FFAs) in the blood.

As mentioned above, elevated FFAs interfere with proper glucose oxidation and promotes insulin resistance.

Estrogen is thought to upregulate the anti-lipolytic α2A-adrenergic receptor expression in subcutaneous but not visceral adipose tissue, which leads to increased fat storage in the subcutaneous fat stores and less in visceral fat (R).

Men, who have less estrogen than women, have less subcutaneous fat, but are prone to accumulation of visceral fat, but that is due to elevated cortisol and low androgens, not due to low estrogen.

Additionally, DHT supplementation improves insulin sensitivity while lowering estrogen to very low levels (R). DHT was even more potent than testosterone supplementation in this regard.

Some might say that there are lots of studies that show that estrogen improves insulin sensitivity. Yes, they are all short term. 6 months to a year or 2 is short term. But if you look at it in the long run, estrogen promotes insulin resistance.

As shown here (R):

"...estrogen use was associated with lower fasting glucose (0.2 mmol/l lower) but higher 2-h glucose levels (0.4 mmol/l higher) compared with never users. It was not significantly associated with the risk of type 2 diabetes compared with past and never users, based on American Diabetes Association or World Health Organization definitions of diabetes or on only a 2-h glucose level ≥11.1 mmol/l. However, the risk of type 2 diabetes increased with increasing duration of estrogen use among current users, with an odds ratio of 1.10 per year of use (95% CI: 1.01–1.19)."

#4 Estrogen increases cortisol
Estrogen stimulates the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. Having high estrogen will lead to chronically elevated cortisol (which is catabolic), it will slow the metabolism, create visceral fat, induce insulin resistance, lower thyroid and steroidogenesis, etc.

Estrogen also reduces the clearance time of cortisol, causing cortisol to be elevated for longer (R).

#5 Estrogen and the metabolic rate
Short term estrogen supplementation in the presence of low estrogen does not restore the metabolic rate (R), however, androgen supplementation does (R).

Blood levels of estrogen are not an accurate indication of tissue estrogen, as the aromatase is expressed inside the tissue and not outside. So, although blood levels of estrogen in men are low compared to women, local concentrations in the tissue might be much higher and physiologically relevant at the site of production and/or action, where they may reach micromolar concentrations. Which is a lot!

Moreover, increased estrogen levels can create a hypogonadal state in men, because it potently suppresses steroidogenesis. Estrogen is one of the most potent suppressors of testosterone synthesis.

A testosterone deficiency, due to elevated estrogen, may aggravate the development of obesity and hyperinsulinemia, which, in turn, will suppress testicular androgen synthesis even further, resulting in a vicious cycle (R).

If estrogen was anti-obesity, all that estrogen created by the fat tissue would have made people lean. Which is clearly not the case.

#6 Estrogen increases leptin
Leptin has always been thought to be a good hormone which stimulates the metabolism and steroidogenesis while reducing appetite.

However, estrogen stimulates fat cell production and fat cells release leptin. Estrogen and leptin synergistically upregulate 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (the enzyme that converts inactive cortisone into active cortisol). This leads to significantly increased intracellular cortisol, which upregulates the aromatase some 9-fold (R).

Under stress, the increased cortisol and leptin output increases compensatory eating and the desire to increasingly consume poor quality, high glycaemic ‘‘foods’’, only to increase insulin production and further up-regulate the aromatase another 6-fold (R).

Additionally, hyperleptinemia and hyperinsulinemia potentiate the effect of estrogen on the receptor, strengthening its effects (R).

#7 Estrogen and insulin secretion
Estrogen and its metabolite stimulating insulin secretion, with 2-Hydroxyestrone being the most abundant and efficacious endogenous estrogen metabolite (R).

Elevated estrogen, free fatty acids, cortisol, insulin and leptin leads to diabetes, fat gain and cancer. Elevated estrogen and insulin synergistically further promote the aromatase in a feed forward loop.

Some people think that there is an estrogen deficiency in conditions of excess hair growth, or during diabetes, but in fact, the elevated insulin stimulate testosterone production and its conversion to DHT and estrogen itself. So these conditions is not caused by a "deficiency", but rather an excess of estrogen. Keep in mind that estrogen, as well as cortisol, can be mostly intracellular, so blood tests might reflect a deficiency, when in fact the tissue in overflowing with estrogen and cortisol.

Also, most doctor test only estradiol and in some cases estrone, when in fact there are 15 different metabolites (or more) of estrogen. How can you get an accurate measure of the total estrogenic burden on the body, or conclude you have low estrogen, when only one metabolite is measured?

Research indicates that a deficiency in the enzyme dopamine β-hydroxylase, which converts dopamine to norepinephrine, leads to hyperinsulinemia (R).

So before dismissing the fact that estrogen is not that crucial, there are many other possible explanations as well.

Summary
Estrogen, in excess, promotes insulin resistance and fat gain, while triggering the stress response, sending the body into a catabolic mess.

Mice given estrogen through their life initially gained more weight than the control group, but later in life ended up much more catabolic with increased late-life frailty (R).
This most likely happened as a result of androgens dropping too low and elevated cortisol being unopposed.

A human study showed that diabetes and estrogen are correlated. Here is a quote from the study (R):

"Obesity, increased fat, elevated BMI and larger hip circumferences are all closely linked to raised oestradiol levels and to the incidence of type 2 diabetes, such that women with low oestradiol levels have 80% less risk of developing type 2 diabetes, and men have 52% less risk."

Estrogen is a powerful inducer of serotonin, which is known to slow the metabolism, inhibit steroidogenesis and promote obesity, diabetes, and a whole host of other conditions.

Now I can already hear a few people screaming: "Gimme the human studies bro!!!".

Apart from the few mentioned above, here are a few more:

From this study (R):

"E2 (estradiol) between 14.0 and 17.4 pg/ml is associated with the best body composition, i.e., lowest total and % FM and highest % FFM".

For those who don't know, 14-17pg/mL is on the low side of the range, with the normal range being 10-40 pg/mL.

And in this study (R), the researchers gave one group of men TRT and the other TRT plus and aromatase inhibitor (AI).

Surprisingly (or was it), only the TRT + AI group gained muscle mass, whereas both groups lost the same amount of fat.

Now the AI didn't crush estrogen of course, that's not the point. The point is that high estrogen is not needed for fat loss.

Lastly, men who supplemented DHT for a period of time crushed their estrogen and they experienced no increase in fat gain, but actually experienced fat loss (R, R, R). Again, you don't need lots of estrogen to get fat loss.
You can be optimally healthy and have the benefit of fat loss with low estrogen, but increasing estrogen will only cause a plethora of side effects, namely frailty, cancer, degeneration, fibrosis etc.

I don't think using DHT alone to crush your own steroidogenesis is a good idea, but if you want to take DHT, use it with a little pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone and maybe a little progesterone as well, because these hormones are very important and are significantly lowered when your own steroidogenesis shuts down.

Shman Frontal

Hey Hans,

I appreciate your Text, but Im far away from the "Anti Estrogen Dogma" which is forced forward here. In my opinion we are very, maybe extreme, false at this. Estrogen is need for a lot of Things, and im pretty sure that a lot of the Members just blindly follow the advice "lower Estrogen" without knowing how there E2 are really stands. Whenn is a Man deficient in Estrogen? Thats the Question we should care about, and for my experience under 10pg is not sufficient for Libido, Dopamine and Intestinale. Im pretty sure that we are very wrong on the theory that most of us have to high Estrogen. For example: People with Helicobacter Infektion have significant lower Estrogen than those who have not. We can ignore this.

J

james2388

The only camp that I can see promoting estrogen is the male HRT circles that are against aromatse inhibitor's.

Consequentially, the late Dr. John Crisler died of a second heart attack possibly during this experiment. He did an interview with the ToT Bible guy, Jay Campbell. Dr. John Crisler

Also the reality of low estrogen could merely be something else such as low dhea, preg or prog. What's a guy going to do when he is not on AS and his estrogen is low...
Imagine a man going to a doctor and reading these symptoms and wants to get his estrogen checked.... That's subversion, doctor now thinks he's crazy. These low estrogen symptoms are more synonymous with low testosterone.
Keep Estrogen Under Control | T Nation

I can't wait for when these sites ***t the bed.

Shman Frontal

@JKX you mean Testosteron is not needed, right? Misleading title man..

@james2388 interesting. At least here in Germany we do focus on it since it seems a Problem, especially for those who have high Testosteron and extreme low Estrogen

And it still doesnt adress the Main Question at all: how much so we need?

Fidelio

The black and white thinking that is pervasive on this forum will be its downfall.
Instead of bastardising estrogen why not recognise the complex balance of the T:ERa:ERb:DHT ratio.

Anyone interested in a more comprehensive look at estrogen and fat loss I encourage you to read the following:

Chapter 24: Estrogens and Body Weight Regulation in Men

“Recent data from clinical intervention studies indicate that estradiol may be a stronger determinant of adiposity than testosterone in men, and even short-term estradiol deprivation contributes to fat mass accrual.”

“Notably, male mice with genetic deletion of estrogen receptor-α (ERα) or aromatase exhibit a more pronounced phenotype of obesity and metabolic dysregulation than do male mice with disruption of androgen receptor (AR) signaling.”
“These preclinical findings more recently have been corroborated by clinical intervention studies in men that have suggested a stronger effect of estradiol than testosterone in suppressing fat mass accrual in men.”

“In both models, ERα deficiency conferred significant increases in fat mass. In mice with myeloid-specific ERα deficiency, increased fat mass was found in association with increased adipocyte size and greater tissue macrophage infiltration. Thus, these findings indicate that the immunomodulatory effects of estradiol are at least partially responsible for the obesity and associated metabolic derangements seen in mice with global ERα deficiency.“

Shman Frontal

@Fidelio thanks a lot, i appreciate that a lot. Do you habe any other Literature?

@alephx mostly I saw the Change in my mood, i got actually happy, Things made sense and I have "Drive" foe Life (and sex)

Than my stomach issues completely resolve, yes, completely.

And my joints stopped cracking almost completely (but i think its normale when a joint sometimes Crack, it was just too extreme by me)

And yes, the interesting one: my hair ist getting better and better.

b555

I feel way better with high estradiol... i am leaner than ever, yet my e2 is 3x over range.
Taking an ai was a bad idea for me

Broken man

The black and white thinking that is pervasive on this forum will be its downfall.
Instead of bastardising estrogen why not recognise the complex balance of the T:ERa:ERb:DHT ratio.

Anyone interested in a more comprehensive look at estrogen and fat loss I encourage you to read the following:

“Recent data from clinical intervention studies indicate that estradiol may be a stronger determinant of adiposity than testosterone in men, and even short-term estradiol deprivation contributes to fat mass accrual.”

“Notably, male mice with genetic deletion of estrogen receptor-α (ERα) or aromatase exhibit a more pronounced phenotype of obesity and metabolic dysregulation than do male mice with disruption of androgen receptor (AR) signaling.”
“These preclinical findings more recently have been corroborated by clinical intervention studies in men that have suggested a stronger effect of estradiol than testosterone in suppressing fat mass accrual in men.”

“In both models, ERα deficiency conferred significant increases in fat mass. In mice with myeloid-specific ERα deficiency, increased fat mass was found in association with increased adipocyte size and greater tissue macrophage infiltration. Thus, these findings indicate that the immunomodulatory effects of estradiol are at least partially responsible for the obesity and associated metabolic derangements seen in mice with global ERα deficiency.“
I have high estrogen and I am fat :D :D

Broken man

Interesting article but I doubt you can use much. Just look on testosterone therapy and weight loss. People on testosterone therapy are checked if their estrogen is rising so you always dont need AI, AIs can reduce other hormones. Also when estrogen is glucorinated, toxic metabolites are creating, most of them are carcinogenic. Most people with lupus have estrogen inside their joints producing inflammation. Just read this Anti-Obesity Effects of Androgens, Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and Testosterone | IntechOpen

Shman Frontal

3x times than the max Range? Way too much. This os btw not why im talking about. Prolactin for example is a potent AI, i really do not know where all this too much Estrogen comes from, especially in Context to mpb.

JKX

@JKX you mean Testosteron is not needed, right? Misleading title man..

@james2388 interesting. At least here in Germany we do focus on it since it seems a Problem, especially for those who have high Testosteron and extreme low Estrogen

And it still doesnt adress the Main Question at all: how much so we need?

I'd stick with the sentiment that estrogen is not required. The studies used DHT to lower estrogen and test. T can convert to DHT and aromatise to E. What does E convert to and why is it useful? Not much hence the liver tries to get rid of it asap.

If your E is high, your liver function is impared. If you use a synthetic AI your liver gets damaged and the normal aromatisation of steroids is prevented. So folks end up with poor liver function and low E blood levels. I'd bet tissue estrogen levels would go up in this scenario though followed by a huge rebound in blood levels once the AI is stopped and (hopefully) the liver recovers. Healthy???

Blocking Tissue Destruction

Prolactin goes up in response to estrogen. Its a molting hormone. Tissue concentrations of steroids are a better guide than bloods. The blood is merely the transport medium.

JKX

Yes. Estrogen will increase stress and therefore fat burning. Depends on your perspective of Ray's work as to whether you believe this to be healthy. I do not. There are other ways to promote leanness by increasing metabolism.

I do not believe estrogen to be 'immunomodulatory', I believe it to be immunosuppressive.

Shman Frontal

@JKX its just misleading since Testosteron is not needed in the first place. Moreover i could also do a study, blocking ALL Androgens and give myostatine Blocker and them say "look, Androgens are not required for muscle build". This study is nice ti know second effects but not in manner how the title says.

Estrogen is not needed? Tell it the Men who have genetic defect an Aromatase: they are tall, have mpb, their bones never Developed over the age of 14 (therefore they break easy) they tend to have lipid Problems, Insulinresistenz etc. Fits btw perfect to male who mpb. Estrogen is essential, there is no discuss in serious science about it.

Prolactin is a AI, its a loop. High Estrogen and high Prolactin do not go Hand in hand. Blocking Aromatase btw doesnt lower Prolactin in breast cancer. Often claimed, never proven.

Jessie

I feel way better with high estradiol... i am leaner than ever, yet my e2 is 3x over range.
Taking an ai was a bad idea for me

Nope. I spent years trying to keep my e2 lowish, nothing but problems. The natural conversion of testosterone into estradiol is a good thing
People often forget there's multiple pathways the body can use to lower body weight. It shouldn't be surprising that higher estrogen leads to lower body weight in certain contexts, because higher estrogen makes lipolysis easier. However this doesn't necessarily mean a higher metabolic rate or better thyroid function. With higher thyroid function you'll expel the excess fat without breaking down the lipids into free fatty acids, primarily via the liver will glucuronidate the pre-packaged lipids without breaking them down into FFAs.

JKX

@JKX its just misleading since Testosteron is not needed in the first place. Moreover i could also do a study, blocking ALL Androgens and give myostatine Blocker and them say "look, Androgens are not required for muscle build". This study is nice ti know second effects but not in manner how the title says.

Estrogen is not needed? Tell it the Men who have genetic defect an Aromatase: they are tall, have mpb, their bones never Developed over the age of 14 (therefore they break easy) they tend to have lipid Problems, Insulinresistenz etc. Fits btw perfect to male who mpb. Estrogen is essential, there is no discuss in serious science about it.

Prolactin is a AI, its a loop. High Estrogen and high Prolactin do not go Hand in hand. Blocking Aromatase btw doesnt lower Prolactin in breast cancer. Often claimed, never proven.
I would dispute that your proposed study would prove that theory...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3kUWRzIpx-i1RpZCYajW6r
Im not fond of myostatin. I believe its 'expression' would change in response to hormonal factors as all gene derived biases would.

I didnt say it wasn't needed. But I do question its true purpose. I do believe low levels are a sign of healthy metabolism. It obviously has a purpose, but I believe its a cyclical thing signalling the aging process of a cell and stimulating cell death so new formation can occur. High estrogen will promote high rate of cell turnover, unchecked growth. Rays approach is to keep E low in an attempt to extend cell lifespan.

Im not sure citing a genetic disease supports your position on estrogen in a healthy individual?

Elevated prolactin and elevated tissue estrogen do indeed go hand in hand. Blood levels perhaps not. So we'll have to disagree on that.

Progrsterone directly opposes estrogen, is probably the body's main aromatase inhibitor and lowers prolactin.

Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

b555

People often forget there's multiple pathways the body can use to lower body weight. It shouldn't be surprising that higher estrogen leads to lower body weight in certain contexts, because higher estrogen makes lipolysis easier. However this doesn't necessarily mean a higher metabolic rate or better thyroid function. With higher thyroid function you'll expel the excess fat without breaking down the lipids into free fatty acids, primarily via the liver will glucuronidate the pre-packaged lipids without breaking them down into FFAs.

nope everything else is good, thyroid is good, temps, pulse. Energy is great

My prolactin is good, but was always good , didn’t matter if i was taking an AI or not

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals