Help me come up with a low methionine diet for a loved one with cancer

OP
ecstatichamster
Yes, I tried high sugar for years, but it didn’t work for me. I gained almost 50 pounds and didn’t feel good. Actually, at this point, today, I feel amazing. I don’t even really know why. But since I replaced most sugar with starch, a diet of starch, and dairy, and some well cooked veggies and a bit of fruit, lost all that fat, and feel amazing. Just incredible.

I wore a continuous glucose monitor for two weeks, and just observed and learned.

I now believe that in an ideal world, sugar is best, but for most of us, we will thrive more on starch.

Yes, I tried high sugar for years, but it didn’t work for me. I gained almost 50 pounds and didn’t feel good. Actually, at this point, today, I feel amazing. I don’t even really know why. But since I replaced most sugar with starch, a diet of starch, and dairy, and some well cooked veggies and a bit of fruit, lost all that fat, and feel amazing. Just incredible.

I wore a continuous glucose monitor for two weeks, and just observed and learned.

I now believe that in an ideal world, sugar is best, but for most of us, we will thrive more on starch.
I think in an ideal world neither sugar or white rice is best. I get though what you are saying, and if rice has improved your healthier then that is better…

“Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic.” -Ray Peat

OP
ecstatichamster
I think in an ideal world neither sugar or white rice is best. I get though what you are saying, and if rice has improved your healthier then that is better…

“Refined granulated sugar is extremely pure, but it lacks all of the essential nutrients, so it should be considered as a temporary therapeutic material, or as an occasional substitute when good fruit isn't available, or when available honey is allergenic.” -Ray Peat

Potatoes, rice, masa harina, well cooked, are the foundation. I don’t tolerate potatoes very well. But add a little cheese, maybe 2 ounces or less, plenty of well cooked veggies, some butter. That’s the basics of a low methionine diet. The cheese is high in methionine but a little is okay I think.

I’m undecided on the collagen.

Potatoes, rice, masa harina, well cooked, are the foundation. I don’t tolerate potatoes very well. But add a little cheese, maybe 2 ounces or less, plenty of well cooked veggies, some butter. That’s the basics of a low methionine diet. The cheese is high in methionine but a little is okay I think.

I’m undecided on the collagen.
Potatoes are the king of starches with so much good to say about them. Have you tried white sweet potatoes, not the orange fleshed ones? I use them in place of potatoes. I am undecided on the collagen too. I tend towards low-fat fat pork rinds and homemade bone broths instead. I don’t even used store bought bone broths because they are full of oxalates from the vegetables, histamines and heavy metals from the long cook times and they have no gelatin in them from using bones instead of skin and cartilage. In the gelatin rankings I would take the collagen before the store bought bone broths.

“A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions.” -Ray Peat

OP
ecstatichamster
Potatoes are the king of starches with so much good to say about them. Have you tried white sweet potatoes, not the orange fleshed ones? I use them in place of potatoes. I am undecided on the collagen too. I tend towards low-fat fat pork rinds and homemade bone broths instead. I don’t even used store bought bone broths because they are full of oxalates from the vegetables, histamines and heavy metals from the long cook times and they have no gelatin in them from using bones instead of skin and cartilage. In the gelatin rankings I would take the collagen before the store bought bone broths.
I actually get a slaughterhouse smell from gelatine but not collagen. Collagen is made from skins not bones.

I don’t think sweet potatoes are potatoes. I don’t do well with them.

“Obesity increases mediators of inflammation, including the C-reactive protein (CRP) and homocysteine. Honey, which contains free fructose and free glucose, lowers CRP and homocysteine, as well as triglycerides, glucose, and cholesterol, while it increased insulin more than sucrose did (Al-Waili, 2004). Hypoglycemia intensifies inflammatory reactions, and insulin can reduce inflammation if sugar is available. Obesity, like diabetes, seems to involve a cellular energy deficiency, resulting from the inability to metabolize sugar.” -Ray Peat

OP
ecstatichamster
“A daily diet that includes two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice provides enough fructose and other sugars for general resistance to stress, but larger amounts of fruit juice, honey, or other sugars can protect against increased stress, and can reverse some of the established degenerative conditions.” -Ray Peat

I think Dr. Peat missed the issues with methionine. @haidut has mentioned it frequently. That is, Dr. Peat said it was bad and wasn’t necessary in quantity along with tryptophan and cysteine, but he never put together an idea of eating for low methionine.

I think low methionine is probably super important for people with cancer.

I think Dr. Peat missed the issues with methionine. @haidut has mentioned it frequently. That is, Dr. Peat said it was bad and wasn’t necessary in quantity along with tryptophan and cysteine, but he never put together an idea of eating for low methionine.

I think low methionine is probably super important for people with cancer.
Low methionine, low tryptophan, low sugar, low protein, low-fat, it all matters in cancer.

“Many people are claiming that fructose consumption has increased greatly in the last 30 or 40 years, and that this is responsible for the epidemic of obesity and diabetes. According to the USDA Economic Research Service, the 2007 calorie consumption as flour and cereal products increased 3% from 1970, while added sugar calories decreased 1%. Calories from meats, eggs, and nuts decreased 4%, from dairy foods decreased 3%, and calories from added fats increased 7%. The percentage of calories from fruits and vegetables stayed the same. The average person consumed 603 calories per day more in 2007 than in 1970. If changes in the national diet are responsible for the increase of obesity, diabetes, and the diseases associated with them, then it would seem that the increased consumption of fat and starch is responsible, and that would be consistent with the known effects of starches and polyunsaturated fats.” -Ray Peat

Well, you can’t eat low everything or you will starve. I’m not sure about low sugar. I think fat should be kept lowish.
That is not true, you won’t starve, you just won’t enjoy food so much, but with cancer food needs to be medicine, not fun. If I were in a cancer situation, I would focus on things like shellfish which has no fat, and small portions of protein at a time. Short cooked bone broths, extracted fruit juices thinned with water, especially the berries, green vegetables cooked well and put in a soup instead of eaten with butter, and eat corn and soy free egg yolks throughout the day as my main fat source. If I couldn’t find corn and soy free ones, I would just have one as Ray Peat suggested in that case., I would make eating a function not an enjoyment. When I was pregnant and having awful morning sickness my diet was so clean, and bland, but I grew to enjoy it. I thought it would be how I would eat from them on, but the minute I had my son, my cravings went right back to starches and I didn’t want the fruit, yogurt and fish anymore. Foods compete with each other. If I start my day with a starch I crave more of them the rest of the day and can’t focus on anything but more food and I feel lazy. If I start with protein then I have more energy and I forget about food throughout the day.

OP
ecstatichamster
That is not true, you won’t starve, you just won’t enjoy food so much, but with cancer food needs to be medicine, not fun. If I were in a cancer situation, I would focus on things like shellfish which has no fat, and small portions of protein at a time. Short cooked bone broths, extracted fruit juices thinned with water, especially the berries, green vegetables cooked well and put in a soup instead of eaten with butter, and eat corn and soy free egg yolks throughout the day as my main fat source. If I couldn’t find corn and soy free ones, I would just have one as Ray Peat suggested in that case., I would make eating a function not an enjoyment. When I was pregnant and having awful morning sickness my diet was so clean, and bland, but I grew to enjoy it. I thought it would be how I would eat from them on, but the minute I had my son, my cravings went right back to starches and I didn’t want the fruit, yogurt and fish anymore. Foods compete with each other. If I start my day with a starch I crave more of them the rest of the day and can’t focus on anything but more food and I feel lazy. If I start with protein then I have more energy and I forget about food throughout the day.

I think low methionine is key. More than anything else in diet. That’s why fasting works, that’s why the Gerson diet works. In my opinion.

I think low methionine is key. More than anything else in diet. That’s why fasting works, that’s why the Gerson diet works. In my opinion.
Well you are certainly going to be well ahead in the race to beat cancer with methionine restriction than the mainstream view on things. I am convinced of the low-fat, low sugar and low tryptophan approach. I can see keeping protein low if one were inactive with a cancer, since excess of anything is going to be a negative. I can also see starches being beneficial in a cancer situation because they are more fattening and being skinny in a cancer situation has it’s own issues, starving like you said.

OP
ecstatichamster
Well you are certainly going to be well ahead in the race to beat cancer with methionine restriction than the mainstream view on things. I am convinced of the low-fat, low sugar and low tryptophan approach. I can see keeping protein low if one were inactive with a cancer, since excess of anything is going to be a negative. I can also see starches being beneficial in a cancer situation because they are more fattening and being skinny in a cancer situation has it’s own issues, starving like you said.
I also believe that taking pleasure in food is critical. Pleasure is an under appreciated thing. Dr. Peat frequently spoke of living a life of euphoria as the natural state. I can't imagine living with a Gerson life, if I had cancer. It would be awful to me, because I love food so much.

I also believe that taking pleasure in food is critical. Pleasure is an under appreciated thing. Dr. Peat frequently spoke of living a life of euphoria as the natural state. I can't imagine living with a Gerson life, if I had cancer. It would be awful to me, because I love food so much.
i love to enjoy my food too, and it is hard passing up things I love for good health, but sometimes it is worth it. I miss sushi with all the mayonnaise laden sauces, onion rings, Thai and Chinese food. cocktails, Cheerios, peanut butter and raspberry jelly on soft potato bread, need I say more? Nevertheless I still enjoy other foods.

Last edited:
Pay no attention to me @ecstatichamster I am just one to encouraged, maybe sometimes discourage, but I appreciate everyone standing by their choices. Live and let live is my motto.,😘

“Cancer researchers have become interested in this enzyme system that controls the oxidation of pyruvic acid (and thus sugar) by the mitochondria, since these enzymes are crucially defective in cancer cells (and also in diabetes). The chemical DCA, dichloroacetate, is effective against a variety of cancers, and it acts by reactivating the enzymes that oxidize pyruvic acid. Thyroid hormone, insulin, and fructose also activate these enzymes. These are the enzymes that are inactivated by excessive exposure to fatty acids, and that are involved in the progressive replacement of sugar oxidation by fat oxidation, during stress and aging, and in degenerative diseases; for example, a process that inactivates the energy-producing pyruvate dehydrogenase in Alzheimer's disease has been identified (Ishiguro, 1998). Niacinamide, by lowering free fatty acids and regulating the redox system, supporting sugar oxidation, is useful in the whole spectrum of metabolic degenerative diseases.” -Ray Peat

OP
ecstatichamster
“Cancer researchers have become interested in this enzyme system that controls the oxidation of pyruvic acid (and thus sugar) by the mitochondria, since these enzymes are crucially defective in cancer cells (and also in diabetes). The chemical DCA, dichloroacetate, is effective against a variety of cancers, and it acts by reactivating the enzymes that oxidize pyruvic acid. Thyroid hormone, insulin, and fructose also activate these enzymes. These are the enzymes that are inactivated by excessive exposure to fatty acids, and that are involved in the progressive replacement of sugar oxidation by fat oxidation, during stress and aging, and in degenerative diseases; for example, a process that inactivates the energy-producing pyruvate dehydrogenase in Alzheimer's disease has been identified (Ishiguro, 1998). Niacinamide, by lowering free fatty acids and regulating the redox system, supporting sugar oxidation, is useful in the whole spectrum of metabolic degenerative diseases.” -Ray Peat

I think is true and shows the fallacy of "cancer loves sugar." Cancer loves free fatty acids, and sugar, and glutamine, so what? But I think methionine is a key to slowing down cancer growth and increasing lifespan.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals