Hair Loss Efforts. Are They Really Worth It?

Aleeri

No. There's no topical➝systemic effects of cyclosporine due to its size, and none from spironolactone either. As an antimineralocorticoid, spironolactone is a relatively polar steroid and will not diffuse into the bloodstream (and it has high‐affinity receptors on the cell membrane as well as the cytosol; they are everywhere).

I've used topical spironolactone and I am not convinced it is safe topically. Besides the study that was done was only done on 6 men and for 72 hours, which is pretty worthless, to be honest: Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man. - PubMed - NCBI

I think some people can get systemic absorption and especially when it builds up over time and if you practice scalp massage or any other similar technique.

There are lots of people with issues if you google, here is one with labs before and after: Important Warning About Topically Applied Spironolactone!!

I stopped using it many years ago already. I figured that I rather lose all the hair than have to rely on anti-androgens that might potentially mess with other things. I focus more on other therapies now that does not mess with hormones. But of course, still losing my hair.

Travis

I've used topical spironolactone and I am not convinced it is safe topically. Besides the study that was done was only done on 6 men and for 72 hours, which is pretty worthless, to be honest: Lack of endocrine systemic side effects after topical application of spironolactone in man. - PubMed - NCBI
Well your testimonial was done on only one anonymous man, even more worthless, and he had claimed to have applied spironolactone to his scalp only. The study above had used six men, and they had applied spironolactone to over 55% of their body areas: There had been zero spironolactone metabolite (canrenone) detected.

Travis

These three studies also demonstrate lack of topical absorption:

Gomez, F. "Lack of effect of a spironolactone-containing cream on hair growth in hirsute women." Dermatology (1987)
Gamborg, P. "Treatment of moderate idiopathic hirsutism with a cream containing canrenone (an antiandrogen)." Dermatologica (1982)
Messina, M. "A new therapeutic approach to acne: an antiandrogen percutaneous treatment with spironolactone." Current therapeutic research (1983)

lol your response was one of the most bitter things I’ve read on this forum. Nobody was being confrontational and you jumped in and started calling people ignorant. You don’t come across as the kind of guy that would be fun to hang out with, so that might have something to do with the negative responses from women.

“Armchair psychology” lol sounds like a fancy reddit term. I’m sorry that you don’t have confidence without hair, truly I am.

I’m a 26 year old Norwood 3 with pretty bad diffuse thinning and currently sleeping with an 18 year old. You need to meet more women and stop being such a bitter little crybaby. They’re not all the same.

lmao do you know the definition of vain? If a woman likes you but refuses to be with you because your lack of hair, that is vain my friend. It sounds like you’re running out of ammo at this point so just stop.

You’re a man. Men lose their hair. Women understand that.

You seem to know an awful lot about me based on a few forum posts, maybe you should do online consultations for money, sounds like you'd be good at that. Interestingly enough, during the time I was a thick NW2 plenty of women apparently thought I was 'fun to hang out with', now that it's moving to a thin NW3 that happens less and less. I guess I must be a completely different person now, and it has nothing to do with my hair.

"I’m a 26 year old Norwood 3 with pretty bad diffuse thinning and currently sleeping with an 18 year old."

That says nothing about how attractive she is, or whether or not you've had to lower your standards as a result of your hair loss. Which is the primary problem.

"You’re a man. Men lose their hair. Women understand that."

They understand that. And pick accordingly. A woman dating a balding guy is making a compromise, whether she wants to admit that or not.

xetawaves

You seem to know an awful lot about me based on a few forum posts, maybe you should do online consultations for money, sounds like you'd be good at that. Interestingly enough, during the time I was a thick NW2 plenty of women apparently thought I was 'fun to hang out with', now that it's moving to a thin NW3 that happens less and less. I guess I must be a completely different person now, and it has nothing to do with my hair.

"I’m a 26 year old Norwood 3 with pretty bad diffuse thinning and currently sleeping with an 18 year old."

That says nothing about how attractive she is, or whether or not you've had to lower your standards as a result of your hair loss. Which is the primary problem.

"You’re a man. Men lose their hair. Women understand that."

They understand that. And pick accordingly. A woman dating a balding guy is making a compromise, whether she wants to admit that or not.

lol it doesn't matter what I say in regards to her appearance, because you'll believe what you want, you clearly do. For the record though, she's a babe.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Sheik

No. There's no topical➝systemic effects of cyclosporine due to its size, and none from spironolactone either. As an antimineralocorticoid, spironolactone is a relatively polar steroid and will not diffuse into the bloodstream (and it has high‐affinity receptors on the cell membrane as well as the cytosol; they are everywhere). For each added hydroxyl (–OH) and keto (=O) group, a steroid increases in polarity and decreases in skin permeability; this effect is so consistent that it would be a nearly straight line if drawn‐out. Vitamin D, androgens, estradiol, and progesterone can all be absorbed systemically but aldosterone and spironolactone can not be.

Cyclosporine and FK‐506 are cyclic proteins (⤺Ala–Leu–Leu–Val–Thr–Abu–Sar–Leu–Val–Leu–Ala⤻) and as such are hard to come by. This isn't a generic small molecule drug you can buy at an online science supply store. Although not hard to produce per se, it would be relatively difficult to separate from other cellular components (peptides) making the entire purification stage time consuming and somewhat complicated. I have seen it for sale from Sigma–Aldrich and alibaba.com.

Does that mean that crushing up tablets and mixing the powder with olive oil wouldn't have the desired effect?

Travis

Does that mean that crushing up tablets and mixing the powder with olive oil wouldn't have the desired effect?
Cyclosporine is a relatively lipid‐soluble protein, as eight of the eleven amino acids have non‐polar side chains. This is good news, as it should be stable in olive oil while the mineral particulates sink.

Hopefully someone will buy some from China a perhaps distribute it someday. If anything is going to work in my opinion its going to be either cyclosporine or an antimineralcorticoid (or perhaps a GPR44 antagonist like Ramatroban).

Hairfedup

Cyclosporine is a relatively lipid‐soluble protein, as eight of the eleven amino acids have non‐polar side chains. This is good news, as it should be stable in olive oil while the mineral particulates sink.

Hopefully someone will buy some from China a perhaps distribute it someday. If anything is going to work in my opinion its going to be either cyclosporine or an antimineralcorticoid (or perhaps a GPR44 antagonist like Ramatroban).

If I order some from what is now the Mersk website (Sigma-Aldrich), would mixing and applying be too much of an issue for an amateur chemist like me? Using the studies provided of course for some direction. I really can't get my head around why people aren't using it more often...do you need a researchers license to purchase it or something, perhaps. I know it can be expensive too. Or maybe its just plain old fear.

I wanted to ask you your opinion on onion for hair growth. I know many believe it to be a myth, but way back in 2014, I regrew a great amount of hair by applying onion everyday to my scalp, with some fenugreek oil every other day. Can't help but think there is something that may perhaps have a systematic effect in an onion..the ancient Indians must have known something...something other than the sulfur content.

Hairfedup

I can confirm onion juice does work in increasing hair thickness and maybe even reduce shedding to some degree, but it will not help regrow lost hair on bald areas and the smell was intolerable.

I am now trying to get similar results with ginger tea(based on this thread here:Hair Loss Help Forums - PLEASE my hairless brothers, Try using Ginger)

I don't mind the smell at all, just reminds me of cooking. When I applied every night and washed the morning after for around 6-8 months I had a decent head of hair - maybe NW1. Now I'm at NW4/5 Lol.

JDreamer

All I know is I keep up pretty religiously with a few forums - who have many bright minds .......... and yet still nothing. It amazes me that the code has yet to be cracked. I often have to take long breaks from these kinds of sites because the varying degree of information becomes too overwhelming and I can't spend my time/money on all of them.

Mori68

All I know is I keep up pretty religiously with a few forums - who have many bright minds .......... and yet still nothing. It amazes me that the code has yet to be cracked. I often have to take long breaks from these kinds of sites because the varying degree of information becomes too overwhelming and I can't spend my time/money on all of them.

I’m with you on this!

D

Deleted member 5487

I've been reading this forum for years and yes obviously many people come here because of hair loss. Hair loss advise is one the most often discussed and dispensed topics here. In spite of not having hair issues (except for a receding hair line of my otherwise thick hair, which I dont consider an 'issue' when you're 42), I read most of them, though I have to say most of these efforts are strongly reminiscent of George Constanza's baldness treatment he had ordered from China.

My take is, if you're 40 and over, and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle and eat well (say according to peat), and also feel well and healthy, why not accept the hair loss WITH GRACE AND DIGNITY. Cut the hair really short or shave the head, and enjoy your life and walk proud with your head up. Because a proud, calm and confident bald man is always better than a self councious, insecure and anxious loser of a guy living a miserable life of obsession about his hair scraps.

Heating the hair under heat lamps, pounding it with massaging jack hammers, wearing ridiculous LED light caps or electric impulse head gearss, puting all kinds of disgusting, smelly or TOXIC sollutions, ointments and mixutures on it....it is so devoid of any kind of honor and self-respect that I honestly wonder who thinks it's worth it. ESPECIALLY since we all know that there is no treatment for baldness, and the few people on this planet who went from bald or balding to a full head of hair were people who cured an illness, which is not 99.9% of people losing hair.

Can not even begin to understand How Low IQ of post this is.

OP is ridiculouesly Ignorant.

Using laser hats, and proven treatments are stupid, have some "self respect and honor"

Nw1 at 42. Tells 18-28 year old guys

"hair doesn't matter, ur efforts are vain" be like the rock, be like Jason stratum
Best part "Take it with grace" beautifully said.

6'3 guy with wide shoulders tells 5'6 guy "just be confident bro height doesn't matter"

Facially Masculine Dimorphic symmetrical male. Tells a recersed chin, bug eyed asymetrical faced male "Its all personality, be confident"

When the kid was subject to LOW IQ mothers prenatal nutrition and soy feeding, and it's out of his control

Just Lol.

Yeah hair matters ALOT for the majority of guys.

Facially masculine, wide framed, big skulled guys like the rock or Jason can pull off being bald.

5'7 diffuse shedding 150lbs Good luck. Nail in the coffin for an already disadvanged male.

OP should be encouraging people to research and find soultions.

Not some high serotonin learned helplessness " Take it with grace and dignity".
GTFO

Last edited by a moderator:

xetawaves

Can not even begin to understand How Low IQ of post this is.

OP is ridiculouesly Ignorant.

Using laser hats, and proven treatments are stupid, have some "self respect and honor"

Nw1 at 42. Tells 18-28 year old guys

"hair doesn't matter, ur efforts are vain" be like the rock, be like Jason stratum
Best part "Take it with grace" beautifully said.

6'3 guy with wide shoulders tells 5'6 guy "just be confident bro height doesn't matter"

Facially Masculine Dimorphic symmetrical male. Tells a recersed chin, bug eyed asymetrical faced male "Its all personality, be confident"

When the kid was subject to LOW IQ mothers prenatal nutrition and soy feeding, and it's out of his control

Just Lol.

Yeah hair matters ALOT for the majority of guys.

Facially masculine, wide framed, big skulled guys like the rock or Jason can pull off being bald.

5'7 diffuse shedding 150lbs Good luck. Nail in the coffin for an already disadvanged male.

OP should be encouraging people to research and find soultions.

Not some high serotonin learned helplessness " Take it with grace and dignity".
GTFO

There is no solution.

Broken man

Because hair is a marker of physical attractiveness, same as too much or too little body fat is. Historically shaving your head has been a marker for restricted sexuality or castration as in the case of monks.

From evolutionary standpoint markers of attractiveness correlate with fertility to ensure the survival and reproduction of the species. Approach this in a rational way and you should easily understand, why do you think the majority of men is attracted to very young women? Because they are more fertile of course, same thing would apply to baldness as the amount of hair you have is usually correlated with your age.

As to the studies pointing that bald men are perceived as more dominant and manly, of course, this makes sense as older men generally are when compare to teenagers and such, and also you should have more respect for your elders etc. Baldness will never make you appear younger, and that is its drawback.

Also no matter how you twist or turn it the fibrosis of the scalp is a marker of stress and aging, so it's never a good thing but the question is will it alone kill you? No not likely. My grandfather went bald in his late 20s same as I am currently, he is now 83, takes no medication and is one of the healthiest seniors I know.
This and I can say from my personal experience. I am balding only little but my brother is almost bald, he is the best person what I know, he is kind and trying to do all what he can to get "some girl" but he didnt find some to this date. I think life is about health, this forum is sign of this. I have friends which are really healthy and do you knwo what they are doing? Their hobby is collecting nudes. I know that I can live without hair but I will do what I can for keeping them on my head. I am 20 and I am balding. This is like group therapy.

Broken man

This and I can say from my personal experience. I am balding only little but my brother is almost bald, he is the best person what I know, he is kind and trying to do all what he can to get "some girl" but he didnt find some to this date. I think life is about health, this forum is sign of this. I have friends which are really healthy and do you knwo what they are doing? Their hobby is collecting nudes. I know that I can live without hair but I will do what I can for keeping them on my head. I am 20 and I am balding. This is like group therapy.
And this is not just about hair. I was fat kid by the day when I was born. When I was like 14 years old, I had depression because I was scared to take off my t shirt. I started worked out and I felt great. I found some really cool, funny pretty blonde girl and everything was okay until I crashed. 3 years ago, I had no energy, gained fat again, was so weak. That girl went away from me because she dint stand my problems and zero confidence. This happened to my twice. I know how It feels when I am full of energy with great body, mind and powerfull and because I remember it, I will do everything for my health.

Murtaza

And this is not just about hair. I was fat kid by the day when I was born. When I was like 14 years old, I had depression because I was scared to take off my t shirt. I started worked out and I felt great. I found some really cool, funny pretty blonde girl and everything was okay until I crashed. 3 years ago, I had no energy, gained fat again, was so weak. That girl went away from me because she dint stand my problems and zero confidence. This happened to my twice. I know how It feels when I am full of energy with great body, mind and powerfull and because I remember it, I will do everything for my health.
Honestly this made me emotional because i can relate with this alot. im 19 and hair loss is not just hair loss. its depression, ostracism, low self esteem etc. Hang in there buddy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals