Hair Loss Efforts. Are They Really Worth It?

OP
Kunder

Kunder

PISS (post immuno supressant syndrome) here i come! I smell a new thread in the air right at the top of the hair section.

Mori68

I wont speak for anyone but I think while the external modalities people employ to assist will probably have limited successes until the whole human system is better, the sub forum itself pretty much titles what the focus will likely favor. Whether it helps or not, it probably does help morale.

Its a health improvement forum, most of us are here for just that considering how much chronic disease is related.

I employ a unique series of scalp manipulations and while I still shed hormonally I restored my hairline and lowered it. Mind you this is amidst whole forums elsewhere saying "scalp techniques do nothing". It wasnt something I learned here but if it helps one person then my info is now their info. Its all part of the fight. Youre happy bald, some guys are happy with hair.
What are your scalp manipulations?

Hairfedup

Cyclosporine is used to prevent organ rejection in people who have received a liver, kidney, or heart transplant. It is usually taken along with other medications to allow your new organ to function normally. Cyclosporine belongs to a class of drugs known as immunosuppressants. It works by weakening the immune system to help your body accept the new organ as if it were your own.

Tacrolimus (also FK-506) is an immunosuppressive drug used mainly after allogeneic organ transplant to lower the risk of organ rejection. It achieves this by inhibiting the production of interleukin-2, a molecule that promotes the development and proliferation of T cells, which are vital to the body's learned (or adaptive) immune response.

Seriously? Because this is exactly what I'm talking about. Half the Finesteride discussions in this forum are about how it irreversibly fuc*ed up people's lives. But yeah, why not give an organ transplant immuno suppressant a try.

I don't know if topical application is as dangerous. I saw Travis (I think) alluding to a combination of cyclosporine and something else I can't quite remember being possible options for hair loss.

Travis

Cyclosporine is used to prevent organ rejection in people who have received a liver, kidney, or heart transplant. It is usually taken along with other medications to allow your new organ to function normally. Cyclosporine belongs to a class of drugs known as immunosuppressants. It works by weakening the immune system to help your body accept the new organ as if it were your own.

Tacrolimus (also FK-506) is an immunosuppressive drug used mainly after allogeneic organ transplant to lower the risk of organ rejection. It achieves this by inhibiting the production of interleukin-2, a molecule that promotes the development and proliferation of T cells, which are vital to the body's learned (or adaptive) immune response.

Seriously? Because this is exactly what I'm talking about. Half the Finesteride discussions in this forum are about how it irreversibly fuc*ed up people's lives. But yeah, why not give an organ transplant immuno suppressant a try.
You proved my point exactly by copy–pasting excerpts from webMD‐ and wikipedia.com.

xetawaves

I know bald men in their 70s-80s that are as healthy as an ox, and men with a full head of hair with various health issues. I'm not sure why the belief that hair directly represents a person's health status is still a discussion on this forum.

Athletes are a great example.

Last edited:

Luckytype

For arguments sake, are we saying that the situations where guys are abruptly losing their hair over a few years time is considerd ok and "just part of life"?

Because we mostly do all agree that androgens are a good thing so it cant just be "part of male life"..

Luckytype

Yea theres no way that im relinquishing myself to the idea that a hormone has been floating around for over 20 years in my case just magically begins a cascade that ruins me and causes a shed on its own. If so it would be pure coincidence that my other health markers are worsening too...my analytical reasonable brain says no way

Sobieski

It can be down to a whole host of factors. Whatever it is, I wish you luck on your journey. I destroyed my health in similar ways to yourself by the sounds of things.

Aleeri

I know bald men in their 70s-80s that are as healthy as an ox, and men with a full head of hair with various health issues. I'm not sure why the belief that hair directly represents a person's health status is still a discussion on this forum.

Because hair is a marker of physical attractiveness, same as too much or too little body fat is. Historically shaving your head has been a marker for restricted sexuality or castration as in the case of monks.

From evolutionary standpoint markers of attractiveness correlate with fertility to ensure the survival and reproduction of the species. Approach this in a rational way and you should easily understand, why do you think the majority of men is attracted to very young women? Because they are more fertile of course, same thing would apply to baldness as the amount of hair you have is usually correlated with your age.

As to the studies pointing that bald men are perceived as more dominant and manly, of course, this makes sense as older men generally are when compare to teenagers and such, and also you should have more respect for your elders etc. Baldness will never make you appear younger, and that is its drawback.

Also no matter how you twist or turn it the fibrosis of the scalp is a marker of stress and aging, so it's never a good thing but the question is will it alone kill you? No not likely. My grandfather went bald in his late 20s same as I am currently, he is now 83, takes no medication and is one of the healthiest seniors I know.

Mountain

In spite of not having hair issues (except for a receding hair line of my otherwise thick hair, which I dont consider an 'issue' when you're 42), I read most of them, though I have to say most of these efforts are strongly reminiscent of George Constanza's baldness treatment he had ordered from China.

read: "I don't have this problem myself, anyways why even bother trying to fix it lol??"

Is it? I know guys who went bald in their early 20s yet seem to be still in good health some 20 years later. Every day I see men who look obviously unhealthy due to things like chronic alcohol abuse but apparently haven't experienced hair loss . I don't believe male baldness is a marker for health.

Ahh yeah hairloss must just happen for no reason since it's clearly not a marker for health, right?

You should be careful when trying to conflate athletic performance as necessarily indicative of good health. I've heard people say a few times: "How could he just drop dead one day? He was the healthiest person I know -- he ate well and jogged everyday!". Bad health does not always manifest in hairloss since (like almost all diseases) it is multifactorial.

xetawaves

Because hair is a marker of physical attractiveness, same as too much or too little body fat is. Historically shaving your head has been a marker for restricted sexuality or castration as in the case of monks.

From evolutionary standpoint markers of attractiveness correlate with fertility to ensure the survival and reproduction of the species. Approach this in a rational way and you should easily understand, why do you think the majority of men is attracted to very young women? Because they are more fertile of course, same thing would apply to baldness as the amount of hair you have is usually correlated with your age.

As to the studies pointing that bald men are perceived as more dominant and manly, of course, this makes sense as older men generally are when compare to teenagers and such, and also you should have more respect for your elders etc. Baldness will never make you appear younger, and that is its drawback.

Also no matter how you twist or turn it the fibrosis of the scalp is a marker of stress and aging, so it's never a good thing but the question is will it alone kill you? No not likely. My grandfather went bald in his late 20s same as I am currently, he is now 83, takes no medication and is one of the healthiest seniors I know.

lol yes, I'm aware that hair has a lot to do with physical attractiveness. Thanks for reminding all of us.

I do believe that the perception of bald men is changing though. Take Dwayne Johnson for example. He's one of the largest sex icons in the world right now. He's also clearly in great health.

I'm just saying, it's pretty obvious that the hair on the top of our heads is not a direct representation of physical health.

xetawaves

You should be careful when trying to conflate athletic performance as necessarily indicative of good health. I've heard people say a few times: "How could he just drop dead one day? He was the healthiest person I know -- he ate well and jogged everyday!". Bad health does not always manifest in hairloss since (like almost all diseases) it is multifactorial.

Good point, but aren't most of those cases caused by congenital heart defects? People with perfect hairlines also have sudden, unexpected deaths.

So what about super overweight guys that can't even climb stairs without losing their breath and getting dizzy, yet they have perfect hair? I assume they're in top physical shape since their hair is perfect.

Mountain

Good point, but aren't most of those cases caused by congenital heart defects? People with perfect hairlines also have sudden, unexpected deaths.

So what about super overweight guys that can't even climb stairs without losing their breath and getting dizzy, yet they have perfect hair? I assume they're in top physical shape since their hair is perfect.

No read my last sentence, it's multifactorial. For example a person may have very low inflammation but have a vitamin D deficiency and therefore have reduced keratin production -- they will likely have worse hair as a result. Remember that Danny Roddy has said that he hasn't done a consultation with an MPB-sufferer who wasn't vitamin D deficient.

xetawaves

No read my last sentence, it's multifactorial. For example a person may have very low inflammation but have a vitamin D deficiency and therefore have reduced keratin production -- they will likely have worse hair as a result. Remember that Danny Roddy has said that he hasn't done a consultation with an MPB-sufferer who wasn't vitamin D deficient.

I agree with you.

I just don't understand why it's not as simple as increasing vitamin d in cases like that or why it would only affect the top of the scalp. Statements like that may be true, but they also make it seem so simple but we all know it's not. Messing with hormones is the only thing that has regrown a moderate amount of hair in men. Progesterone, finasteride, and dutasteride. Minoxidil also works for some, but the results don't last.

I do believe though that the next few years will provide tons of data in regards to hair loss. The world is too vain for a cure to not be found soon.

Last edited:

Hairfedup

read: "I don't have this problem myself, anyways why even bother trying to fix it lol??"

Ahh yeah hairloss must just happen for no reason since it's clearly not a marker for health, right?

Yes, I was a national level sprinter in the UK until around age 19. A guy I trained with had renal failure and I know for a fact that a lot of the GB sprinters right now suffer from a number of conditions. Athletes are not in great health in any shape, way or form. It just happens to be that their physiology is in line with high-performance in their particular field.

xetawaves

Yes, I was a national level sprinter in the UK until around age 19. A guy I trained with had renal failure and I know for a fact that a lot of the GB sprinters right now suffer from a number of conditions. Athletes are not in great health in any shape, way or form. It just happens to be that their physiology is in line with high-performance in their particular field.

I wouldn't say that all athletes are not in great health. Some can just handle the high level of stress hormones better than others. You have to remember too that a lot of athletes use performance enhancing drugs which can cause problems. You can't argue against the fact that most of them are very healthy.

Are you suggesting that exercise is unhealthy?

Hairfedup

I wouldn't say that all athletes are not in great health. Some can just handle the high level of stress hormones better than others. You have to remember too that a lot of athletes use performance enhancing drugs which can cause problems. You can't argue against the fact that most of them are very healthy.

Are you suggesting that exercise is unhealthy?

No not at all! What I'm saying is that just because of the perceived level of high activity, athletes aren't in great health - they are susceptible to a number of ailments. A sub-10 Zimbabwean sprinter recently had kidney or liver failure too...the intensity and level of performance needed to run in the mid 10's produces a level of stress on the body that I think, no, is definitely not good for a person. Plus they had us on SARMs and other 'supplementation'. If you look at De Grasse, his hairline has rapidly receded since graduating from UCLA and making it big. I don't know if you know much about Selective androgen receptor modulator or SARMs but the bleeding edge supplementation given to high-end athletes right now is insane...apparently out of the blood stream in a few hours, or something like it can't be detected in the urine or blood regardless.