Some random thoughts on male hair loss, just in case they spark discussion!

Just my observations, subjective, with massive chicken or egg questions.

- from my observation, young bald men seem to have a structurally different physique from the chest upwards. To sum up most simply, I've never seen a bald man fill out a t-shirt in a pleasing way, unless they're stacked. Something about the fullness of the breast but underdeveloped neck and trap muscles. And the way the lines neck leads into the head, particularly noticeable in profile.

- I never see young bald men with pleasing natural muscle tone. Or without some small degree of abdominal / back / hip fat accumulation. They don't seem to build muscle easily.

- ALL the bald men I've seen / know have underdeveloped calves and glutes, and often forearms and wrists. Again, unless they're stacked.

- the body hair of young bald men seems less uniform and structured than the body hair of men with full heads of hair. It looks more random, like a biological malfunction, as opposed to how nature intended.

- the personality of young bald men is fundamentally different. They seem more socially conscious / aware as opposed to just...living. They always seem on the edge of the social circle, the outsider. Defensive, emotional. They don't seem to interact with people in a normal, socially fluid way. They find small talk awkward.

- they actually seem less selfish, probably as a result of less self assuredness.

EDIT: - I'm convinced the galea must be critical in a big way. What makes this tissue unique? Where do we find this type of tissue elsewhere in the body? Are those areas hairless?

- the galea is part of the superficial back line. Could tension elsewhere in the body, all the way down to the soles of the feet, be important?

- are their certain class correlations we can see in history? Why were all the Greek philosophers and emperors bald but the gladiators weren't often depicted as such? Different diet and lifestyle factors?

- are we looking in completely the wrong place for the cause? Could it be something preposterous like the above where underdeveloped calves and tight hamstrings cause a tight galea?

- is it nature's way of marking humans as past their reproductive prime? Or as a bad egg? Is it nature's flag for the female species: "Not this one. Doesn't work properly."

Really sorry if this offends anyone. These are mainly my own traits that I've picked up in other men with similar condition.

Stay strong guys. We will find a way.

Last edited:

Gustav3Y

The problem is this, there are many with the things you have spotted and are not bald at all, while indeed many are bald and have those features.
So I would not say those are definitely exclusive to balding.
Also there are plenty of people with very underdeveloped calves that are not bald even in their 50s, especially look a many people of African descent.
Of course it is very easy to say you know several that are bald, but that does not exclude the fact so many aren't bald with the same specif feature of calves.

OP
T
The problem is this, there are many with the things you have spotted and are not bald at all, while indeed many are bald and have those features.
So I would not say those are definitely exclusive to balding.
Also there are plenty of people with very underdeveloped calves that are not bald even in their 50s, especially look a many people of African descent.
Of course it is very easy to say you know several that are bald, but that does not exclude the fact so many aren't bald with the same specif feature of calves.
Hi Gustav - I agree, I don't mean to make absolutist statements, and there are many non-bald young men who have these features.

However, I will stand by the fact that I see very few bald young men with the opposite. For example, I almost never see bald young men with natural defined muscle tone / physique, or well developed calves.

I

i_nomad

I started thinning majorly at 16 and balding at 19. I definitely do not fit your description. Toned muscles and developed calves and forearms. Some of the other features are true, like random body hair and such. Socially, I have no problem with small talk and conversing, but just less inclined to do so, perhaps.

There are exceptions, obviously. But I think your thoughts about nature marking them as unfit is way off base. For one, most of these problems are likely due to bad nutrition and other modern problems. Also, females in modern society can value other features over physique and physical capability - and they do.

Gungnir

- from my observation, young bald men seem to have a structurally different physique from the chest upwards. To sum up most simply, I've never seen a bald man fill out a t-shirt in a pleasing way, unless they're stacked. Something about the fullness of the breast but underdeveloped neck and trap muscles. And the way the lines neck leads into the head, particularly noticeable in profile.

- I never see young bald men with pleasing natural muscle tone. Or without some small degree of abdominal / back / hip fat accumulation. They don't seem to build muscle easily.

- ALL the bald men I've seen / know have underdeveloped calves and glutes, and often forearms and wrists. Again, unless they're stacked.

- the body hair of young bald men seems less uniform and structured than the body hair of men with full heads of hair. It looks more random, like a biological malfunction, as opposed to how nature intended.

- the personality of young bald men is fundamentally different. They seem more socially conscious / aware as opposed to just...living. They always seem on the edge of the social circle, the outsider. Defensive, emotional. They don't seem to interact with people in a normal, socially fluid way. They find small talk awkward.

- they actually seem less selfish, probably as a result of less self assuredness.

EDIT: - I'm convinced the galea must be critical in a big way. What makes this tissue unique? Where do we find this type of tissue elsewhere in the body? Are those areas hairless?

- the galea is part of the superficial back line. Could tension elsewhere in the body, all the way down to the soles of the feet, be important?

- are their certain class correlations we can see in history? Why were all the Greek philosophers and emperors bald but the gladiators weren't often depicted as such? Different diet and lifestyle factors?

- are we looking in completely the wrong place for the cause? Could it be something preposterous like the above where underdeveloped calves and tight hamstrings cause a tight galea?

- is it nature's way of marking humans as past their reproductive prime? Or as a bad egg? Is it nature's flag for the female species: "Not this one. Doesn't work properly."

Really sorry if this offends anyone. These are mainly my own traits that I've picked up in other men with similar condition.

If confirmation bias could be summarized into a single post... this is it.

Is it nature's way of marking humans as past their reproductive prime? Or as a bad egg? Is it nature's flag for the female species: "Not this one. Doesn't work properly."

Literally, all the bald men I know have children. Bald men have no problem finding a mate and never will. She may not be the "dime" you had in mind, but any bald man can find someone to reproduce with. So no... this is a smooth-brained take on balding as it makes no sense whatsoever.

OP
T
If confirmation bias could be summarized into a single post... this is it.

Is it nature's way of marking humans as past their reproductive prime? Or as a bad egg? Is it nature's flag for the female species: "Not this one. Doesn't work properly."

Literally, all the bald men I know have children. Bald men have no problem finding a mate and never will. She may not be the "dime" you had in mind, but any bald man can find someone to reproduce with. So no... this is a smooth-brained take on balding as it makes no sense whatsoever.

I agree with your point man but at the same time you've misinterpreted my post. I realise some of these sound radical and stupid, but as I disclaimed, these are the subjective observations and musings of one person, supposed to raise questions. I'm trying question outside the box, as it were, not propose hypotheses.

I never said "It's nature's foolproof method of crossing off mates," but early baldness has been correlated with increased risk cardiovasular disease. Is it the body signalling something? I DON'T KNOW. Do young women find bald men less attractive? I would say so. Why do they find it less attractive? WHY?

OP
T
I started thinning majorly at 16 and balding at 19. I definitely do not fit your description. Toned muscles and developed calves and forearms. Some of the other features are true, like random body hair and such. Socially, I have no problem with small talk and conversing, but just less inclined to do so, perhaps.

There are exceptions, obviously. But I think your thoughts about nature marking them as unfit is way off base. For one, most of these problems are likely due to bad nutrition and other modern problems. Also, females in modern society can value other features over physique and physical capability - and they do.
Thanks for your reponse. May I ask, how bald are you now? How much hair do you have left?

I agree, women do value much more than looks and I certainly don't mean to paint females as shallow. However, women love great hair on a guy, and men certainly don't like losing it. If a woman could pick between 2 versions of the same guy, 1 with hair like Brad Pitt and the other with typical horeshoe baldness like Wallace Shawn, wouldn't they pick the version with the hair? Evolutionarily, why? Don't you think that's interesting? I know I'm being quite philosophical and picky, but that's a valid question, right? Of course bald men get partners and are attractive in their own right, but they'd pick the version with the hair.

Or do you think that's cultural?

JohnA

I think this is on the right track. There's definitely some aspect of forward head posture and overall poor posture leading to poor blood circulation to certain parts of the scalp resulting in the baldness horseshoe. I think a lot of this comes from mouth breathing - which can be caused mechanically by poor nutrition during childhood (e.g. all the pictures of people with pinched nostrils, small mouths, crooked teeth, and balding hair in Weston A. Price's book), and then exacerbated in the teenage and adult years through stress and shallow chest breathing. Danny Roddy has mentioned how bald people tend to be more anxious. Perhaps that anxiety and higher stress levels make them more likely to mouth breathe shallowly through their chest and thus develop that "structurally different physique from the chest upwards" mentioned by OP?

mariantos

I know people who have been hairless from an early age, who are quite physically developed, sociable, extraordinary people in a word.

I had a colleague in high school who had a defect of the mandible, the shape of his head was not exactly the most pleasant, he had a bald start, but I want to tell you that he was a boy of ten, he had a phenomenal sense of humor, he knew how to receive a more unsalted joke, he knew how to turn a joke, moreover, through his self-criticism he made people laugh, he brought a smile even on the face of the saddest man who heard him speak. We loved that boy, all of us in the class, his beauty was inner.

I strongly believe that these characteristics that are attributed to a group of people, whether they are hairless or have a finger in addition to others, are meant only to separate one from the other, is just a form of division, from my point of view and I say that because I also know people who have hair on their heads and who don't lack too much, but they are not so physically developed, they are not so optimistic/confident, happy etc.

Therefore, the packaging is not of particular importance, the content is essential!

Gustav3Y

Of course bald men get partners and are attractive in their own right, but they'd pick the version with the hair.
I've heard here and there women saying Jason Statham as looking good bald and they can't imagine him otherwise.
Brigitte Rosie Huntington picked him and not because lacking men interested in her we could imagine.

Someone like Tyson Beckford made his carer and image along the years by inherently being remembered as bald, there are many images from his young years him being completely shaved (like his Tony Braxton - Un-Break My Heart appearance)

These are probably big exceptions.

I

i_nomad

Thanks for your reponse. May I ask, how bald are you now? How much hair do you have left?

I agree, women do value much more than looks and I certainly don't mean to paint females as shallow. However, women love great hair on a guy, and men certainly don't like losing it. If a woman could pick between 2 versions of the same guy, 1 with hair like Brad Pitt and the other with typical horeshoe baldness like Wallace Shawn, wouldn't they pick the version with the hair? Evolutionarily, why? Don't you think that's interesting? I know I'm being quite philosophical and picky, but that's a valid question, right? Of course bald men get partners and are attractive in their own right, but they'd pick the version with the hair.

Or do you think that's cultural?
I was full bald by mid-20s. 35 now and still bald haha

Also, they would pick brad Pitt if they’re shallow. Yes, we have all heard the statistics about females only being attracted to the top 14% (something like that) of men in the room. But attraction is only one part and clearly Brad Pitt hair in a trailer park is different than bald executive.

rr1

I believe a lot of this is true, but I also believe there are a few different phenotypes of a bald man, and this is just one of them.

This phenotype seems to be the one where the person has some sort of epigenetic stress imprinting, and is simply smaller, more hypothyroid and estrogen dominant. Without perfect nutrition and lifestyle from birth, and maintaining a strict slight micronutrient and calories surplus, and avoiding stress, they are destined to go bald.

But the solution to fix the baldness is no different to other types. Just the way they got there is different.

Ignoramus

I'm really starting to think it's a postural thing, and that posture is a reflection of energy, respiration, virility, confidence and health in general.

The physical observations you made are spot on, especially in regards to the neck/back of the head. Once you start noticing this pattern you can't unsee it. You do see some young people with bent necks and good hairlines, but you never see a bald person with a flat neck.

I've started practicing this posture. It's very difficult, but it seems to be having profound effects already. The way I breathe is completely different already; much more diaphragmatic and calming. I think one should Mew at the same time too - it creates a nice stretching pressure on the maxilla to Mew in this position, and further reinforces the good posture. There also seems to be less pressure on the muscles around the hairline.

I've also noticed profound personality changes by holding this posture too. It makes you speak more deeply and have a bigger presence. People notice you when you walk around like this, which forces you to 'man up'. I think the defeated posture is also a subconscious strategy to be less noticeable/hide. It picks your mood right up to hold yourself properly; you simply cannot walk around like an enlightened statue and be in a bad mood - give it a try next time you're feeling down! I also think it uses more energy to be in this state, and that bad posture is more efficient in the short term when there isn't enough energy in the system.

Also when I was lying down the other night I felt a strong pulsing of blood in my crown area - I think proper posture increases blood flow to the head and upper body in general. My hands also get warm instantly when I do this; they are bigger and more blood is kept in them. I think it even increases the size of my flaccid penis too.

I'd also like to add that I don't think being bald is 'bad' or even unnatural; some of the best people I've ever met have been bald. I think that it might be a different way of 'being' though; something like a relaxed (hair) vs defensive (bald) strategy in regards to life. I think the defensive strategy is useful/complementary to some, and hence baldness is attractive to a lot of people. If I were a fat woman I might be stressed about my weight, for example, as a bald man might be stressing about his baldness; but I myself am really attracted to fat women for whatever reason, and in the same way a lot of women are genuinely attracted to bald men. I think if you are reading this and are bald then don't stress about it; there will still be plenty of women/men attracted to you, especially if you are otherwise well.

Attachments

• neck.jpg
    neck.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

rr1

I'm really starting to think it's a postural thing, and that posture is a reflection of energy, respiration, virility, confidence and health in general.

The physical observations you made are spot on, especially in regards to the neck/back of the head. Once you start noticing this pattern you can't unsee it. You do see some young people with bent necks and good hairlines, but you never see a bald person with a flat neck.

I've started practicing this posture. It's very difficult, but it seems to be having profound effects already. The way I breathe is completely different already; much more diaphragmatic and calming. I think once should Mew at the same time too - it creates a nice stretching pressure on the maxilla to Mew in this position, and further reinforces the good posture.

I've also noticed profound personality changes by holding this posture too. It makes you speak more deeply and have a bigger presence. People notice you when you walk around like this, which forces you to 'man up'. I think the defeated posture is also a subconscious strategy to be less noticeable/hide. It picks your mood right up to hold yourself properly; you simply cannot walk around like an enlightened statue and be in a bad mood - give it a try next time you're feeling down!

Also when I was lying down the other night I felt a strong pulsing of blood in my crown area - I think proper posture increases blood flow to the head and upper body in general. My hands also get warm instantly when I do this; they are bigger and more blood is kept in them. I think it even increases the size of my flaccid penis too.

I'd also like to add that I don't think being bald is 'bad' or even unnatural; some of the best people I've ever met have been bald. I think that it might be a different way of 'being' though; something like a relaxed (hair) vs defensive (bald) strategy in regards to life. I think the defensive strategy is useful/complementary and hence baldness is attractive to a lot of people.
Good observations. Learning to sit with proper posture is very important. I like the method from Esther Gokahle, with the shoulder roll and flat back, and imagining a string pulling your head up and chin back. Its explained really well in the book.

I also experienced that 'opening up of airways' when using this posture and mewing that you talk about.

Gungnir

I've started practicing this posture. It's very difficult, but it seems to be having profound effects already. The way I breathe is completely different already; much more diaphragmatic and calming. I think one should Mew at the same time too - it creates a nice stretching pressure on the maxilla to Mew in this position, and further reinforces the good posture. There also seems to be less pressure on the muscles around the hairline.

I've also noticed profound personality changes by holding this posture too. It makes you speak more deeply and have a bigger presence. People notice you when you walk around like this, which forces you to 'man up'. I think the defeated posture is also a subconscious strategy to be less noticeable/hide. It picks your mood right up to hold yourself properly; you simply cannot walk around like an enlightened statue and be in a bad mood - give it a try next time you're feeling down! I also think it uses more energy to be in this state, and that bad posture is more efficient in the short term when there isn't enough energy in the system.

I'd also like to add that I don't think being bald is 'bad' or even unnatural; some of the best people I've ever met have been bald. I think that it might be a different way of 'being' though; something like a relaxed (hair) vs defensive (bald) strategy in regards to life. I think the defensive strategy is useful/complementary to some, and hence baldness is attractive to a lot of people. If I were a fat woman I might be stressed about my weight, for example, as a bald man might be stressing about his baldness; but I myself am really attracted to fat women for whatever reason, and in the same way a lot of women are genuinely attracted to bald men. I think if you are reading this and are bald then don't stress about it; there will still be plenty of women/men attracted to you, especially if you are otherwise well.
If it is a postural thing then explain why it ravages men and hardly affects women? Both sexes are affected by bad posture, but not baldness.

JohnA

Based on what data? His own observations?

A

Adf

I would think simply it's because baldness comes from hormonal imbalances, and all of the physical symptoms you mentioned also stem from hormonal imbalances.

It likely is much more complex than what I stated, but for the laymen, hormone imbalances.

For example,
- Hormone imbalance causes lack of self confidence
- Lack of self confidence makes people look toward the ground, instead of straightforward.
- Nowadays people have a phone to bury their head in when around other people to avoid confrontation
- Looking toward the ground and phone for extended time will shift the posture in that direction
- Hormone imbalance also restricts muscle mass

Another thing to note is, tension anywhere can lead to tightness anywhere along the chain. For example a fractured ankle that heals with less flexibility/mobility can cause tightness from your legs, all the way up your body and give you a stiff neck and headaches caused by stiff neck.

Something I have wondered lately, is whether something small like a deviated septum from birth, can cause something big like scoliosis. Because I have noticed in myself, I have had a deviated septum for as long as I can remember, since early childhood, highly possibly since birth. I noticed when I was about 8 years old that my right leg was longer than my left, and my left foot was larger than my right.

I had an Xray when I was 24 to confirm my scoliosis. Something I've had all my life, but I feel it much more now as I am older.

Could my scoliosis be caused by my deviated septum from early childhood? I wonder, because when I breathe a full breathe, I feel my left lung fill up first, then my right lung begins to fill up. So when I'm not breathing intentionally full breathes, my left lung is more full than my right. Could this lung issue be caused by deviated septum? Could this lung issue have caused my scoliosis?

I'm not sure, just interesting to ponder. It's freaky, amazing, and kind of scary that small changes could possibly make massive changes somewhere else in the body.

Last edited by a moderator: