Gut Health

DrJ

How much gelatin daily do you get and how did you get it in?
I take 10-15g of gelatin/day, usually in one dose. I take the Great Lakes gelatin, and mix it into orange juice, then pound it down. It actually tastes kind of like a dreamsicle, so not bad at all. The challenge is getting the gelatin to not clump up and instead dissolve; takes vigorous mixing, so I use one of those shaker bottles like for the protein shakes. If I take glycine, I take around 5g/day, split into two 2.5g doses, also in the orange juice. You'll notice 5g glycine is about the glycine content that would be in 15g gelatin. Subjectively, I find I do a little better if I take gelatin, since there are other beneficial aminos in it like proline, but on a cost-per-day basis, glycine is cheaper, and a little easier to work with since it dissolves more easily in the OJ. As a side note, my 10 year old dog was having liver and thyroid problems, and I cured it through diet by giving him 2.5g glycine 2X/day (so a big dose for his body weight of 30lb relative to me), 0.25g taurine 2X day, 0.1g aspirin 2X/day and 200g cottage cheese (2x/day) with each (slightly less) normal dog food meal for calcium and less phosphate than the meat proteins (but cottage cheese is not a great calcium/phosphate ratio cheese, he just takes it better than other cheeses). It cured his extremely high alkaline phosphatase levels, and got his thyroid levels back to normal without having to take levothyroxine (T4) 2X/day as was prescribed by his vet, whom we fired :). Not to mention his energy and curiosity levels are back up to more like when he was a younger dog. Double-edged sword there :)

DrJ

Also, I should mention in case it's helpful, that my digestive problems seem to result from "resistant starches." So fiber was a huge problem since you can think of it as the most resistant of starches. I eliminated fiber to the best I could (so get less than 5g/day in general) and that helped a lot. Contrary to what is said, my digestive efficiency improved a lot from this. My reading of the book "Fiber Menace" informed this strategy, so you might find it interesting. Once I eliminated fiber, I went from a bowel movement every day or so, to 2-3/day, which frankly makes you feel awesome. As I said, I think magnesium also helps here. But I still have problems with other starches that aren't fiber, and I try to eat at least a little starch (especially potato), because it's hard for me to get enough calories on strictly peat-ish foods, and I'm a little wary of hitting the sugar hard, although I consume a lot more than I did when I thought it was bad. Taking the gelatin/glycine with plenty of calcium (more specifically, a high calcium/phosphate ratio) seems to forgive a lot of the dietary "starch sins" so, for me, it is a viable strategy to try and have a less restrictive diet. Also, if you haven't, you might look into "FODMAP" foods, as that's a category of basically resistant starches that researchers (especially in Australia) found to be a cause of IBS, so avoiding the high FODMAPs foods can be helpful, and I use those lists as guidelines of things to avoid (or not avoid low-FODMAP foods).

sladerunner69

Daily gelatin and/or glycine (which is the amino acid making up about 30% of gelatin by weight) have done wonders to help my gut health, along with plenty of calcium to get the "calcium soaps" (which also requires saturated fat, but I'm assuming you get some of that) to form in the intestine which help protect and lubricate it. If you get constipation with lots of calcium (or just in general), then taking adequate magnesium is a big help. If after those things, I feel that things still aren't right, then usually a big dose of activated charcoal clears things up. I've had mixed success with the daily carrot or carrot salad.

Do you ever suffer from lung pain or shortness fo breath after taking a "big dose" of activated charcoal??

Xisca

The challenge is getting the gelatin to not clump up and instead dissolve; takes vigorous mixing, so I use one of those shaker bottles like for the protein shakes.
Why don't you dissolve it first with some hot water? And then mix with whatever...

DrJ

Why don't you dissolve it first with some hot water? And then mix with whatever...
I guess I was waiting to learn from a pro like you! The thought of drinking it warm sounds sort of gross, but I guess if I can mix it back in with the cold OJ, that will work. Thanks!

kayumochi

There was a time in my life when I was bombarded with antibiotics. My gut health didn't begin to change for the better until I cut those out completely and added resistant starch (mostly unmodified potato starch) and other fermentable fibers. I have found, after wasting much money, a probiotic that can be taken intermittently with great results: Elixa Probiotic.

Xisca

Elixa Probiotic
They say:
But what can upset the balance of my gut bacteria?
  • what you eat,
  • the medicines you take,
  • and the stress you experience,
These factors can all decrease numbers of good bacteria in your gut.
A combination of antibiotics, processed food, and a modern stressful lifestyle can wreak havoc on your intestinal flora.

All 3 factors... and they are half right about stress, because most people cannot truely relax fully because of stuck events of the past. I can hardly believe there still exist people with no accumulated stress and no digestive issues!

That's a lot of money to try and experiement probiotic until finding one that is adapted!

mistermr

There are natural plant based extracts that are known to have antibiotic activity, the good thing about them is that they supposedly don't kill the good bacteria. I found that to be true through my experiments. Taking garlic, oregano essential oils have worked better for me than amoxicillin, tetracycline. Amoxicillin caused a terrible rash.

Essentially, antibiotics should be used to sterilize the small intestine to control sibo. With a sterile small intestine, food gets absorbed better and much less endotoxin and serotonin are produced. The large intestine is not the target of antibiotic therapy and is much harder to sterilize as well

Xisca

I guess I was waiting to learn from a pro like you! The thought of drinking it warm sounds sort of gross, but I guess if I can mix it back in with the cold OJ, that will work. Thanks!
Well, it is not written on your packet, but on mines sí señor!
Please slowly stir the cold stuff into the warm gelatine, not the other way round!
You can then put all in the fridge if you want to have some solid stuff to eat.
And as they say it does not work with papaya, pineapple and kiwi, I concluded these fruits digest it because of their enzymes. Next conclusion, it can better digestion of gelatine, as many find it a bit heavy...
So I am happy to do something they say to not do!

You can do sweet desserts with gelatine, but also make it salted and make nice things with egg or shrimps inside, and put in the fridge. Very decorative and you can do any shapes.

For what it's worth, I recently cured my white blotchy tongue, bloating, gas a constipation with the following...

-- ONLY drinking fluids when 100% sure I was thirsty. No drinking juice or milk for the calories. When I first decided to do this, I didn't drink a glass of anything for about 3 days. I just wasn't thirsty. Now, my thirst is picking back up again.
-- Adding gelatin and a pinch of baking soda to the fluids I did drink.
-- Niacinamide, aspirin, and cascara every night before bed.
-- As much light as possible every day. I find getting sunlight on my naked back much more stimulating than on the front/face/arms.

And now my tongue is as clean as a whistle. Feeling good and light.

Marg

Carot salad not enough.

I tried the carrot salad for a long time and it didn't do anything for me. I have been troubled with cycles of ibs and constipation in the past.

Cascara has been really helpful for me as RP says that it can help reduce bowel inertia and help to induce normal rhymthic contractions. It is cheap, and some people prefer certain brands. Always start off slowly, like a half capsule and go up to more if needed.

Xisca

And now my tongue is as clean as a whistle. Feeling good and light.

I tried the carrot salad for a long time and it didn't do anything for me. ... Cascara has been really helpful for me
We all see again and again that context is everything. I would try what worked for others IF I knew that their symtoms were similar to mines, and I cannot give a try to something for guts if I do not know if the person who got success is prone to accelerated transit like me, or constipated. According to the website fixyourguts, I saw 3 categories of gut bacterial overgrowth, and 2 are constipated. The bacterias seem to be different in those cases.

chrismeyers

Dont do probiotics or antacids etc. Unnatural and a waste of time. There is a simple way to fix your gut health super quick. Buy a high quality organic yogurt (I like Stonyfield Greek plain) and eat it at the end of your meal. Every single meal, the last thing you eat. Thats how they did it in my ancestral diet, and having tried it works like a charm.

EIRE24

There was a time in my life when I was bombarded with antibiotics. My gut health didn't begin to change for the better until I cut those out completely and added resistant starch (mostly unmodified potato starch) and other fermentable fibers. I have found, after wasting much money, a probiotic that can be taken intermittently with great results: Elixa Probiotic.
So resistant starches and pro biotics is what helped your gut?

andy

I have very similar problems in bloating and gas .sometimes runny stools.Also was put on fodmap.I know if i have table sugar i bloat up very quickly.Also full fat milk is very problematic.In my opinion carbohydrates are definitely the problem for me.I know this because if i do a high fat diet and protein and very little sugar etc i am amazed at the appearance of my muscle.carbohydrates seem to make me hold onto water and make me look chubby.I know high fat and low carb probably not good but your body does not lie.I STRUGGLE with making the choice of a settled digestive system and eating in a way that ray probably would not recommend.However i sometimes force myself to eat sugar and potatoes and lots of milk and within a short time my belly bloats up like a balloon.I know carbs are very important and maybe it may be wise to go low carb for a bit and high fat and VERY SLOWLY introduce carbs back into your body.The rosedale diet may work to heal your gut to some extent.When i go low carb then most of my calories are from lots of butter and some oily fish.Best of luck!

Xisca

runny stools
So are you from the "subgroup" that are NOT constipated?
Which seem the persons to best be relieved by low carb, from bacterias overgrowth that produce hydrogene.
sometimes force myself to eat sugar and potatoes and lots of milk and within a short time my belly bloats up like a balloon.
I would test the dosis that is not doing that much a reaction! And butter, NOT milk.
I know carbs are very important and maybe it may be wise to go low carb for a bit and high fat and VERY SLOWLY introduce carbs back into your body.
Yeaaaah.
My thread in the digestion forum is more or less about this as well...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals