Antibiotic recovery

mostlylurking

about two months ago i was on a 7 day round of cefuroxime\zinnat antibiotic to treat a sinus infection, prescribed by an e.n.t doctor. problem is i started to get non stop severe bloating ever since
I did some quick research for cefuroxime link: Common and Rare Side Effects for cefuroxime axetil oral

CEFUROXIME Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity​

COMMON side effects​

If experienced, these tend to have a Severe expression i​

• diarrhea from an infection with Clostridium difficile bacteria
  • increased eosinophils in the blood
  • hives
  • a hypersensitivity reaction to a drug

If experienced, these tend to have a Less Severe expression i​

• a yeast infection of the vagina and vulva
  • diarrhea
  • intense abdominal pain

INFREQUENT side effects​

• a skin rash

• thrush
  • excessive saliva production
  • vaginal irritation
  • itching
  • joint pain
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • gas
  • irritability

RARE side effects​

• a type of blood disorder where the red blood cells burst called hemolytic anemia
  • a type of blood disorder with a decrease in all types of blood cells called pancytopenia
  • low blood counts due to bone marrow failure
  • a decrease in the blood clotting protein prothrombin
  • decreased blood platelets
  • very low levels of granulocytes, a type of white blood cell
  • low levels of white blood cells
  • low levels of a type of white blood cell called neutrophils
  • a type of brain function problem called encephalopathy
  • inflammation of blood vessels in the skin
  • thrombophlebitis, an inflamed vein due to a blood clot
  • bleeding
  • inflammation of the large intestine
  • damage to the liver and inflammation
  • blockage of normal bile flow
  • a type of kidney inflammation called interstitial nephritis
  • decreased kidney function
  • erythema multiforme, a type of allergic skin reaction
  • a skin disorder with blistering and peeling skin called toxic epidermal necrolysis
  • a skin disorder with blistering and peeling skin called Stevens-Johnson syndrome
  • erythema or skin redness
  • seizures
  • swelling of the tongue
  • abnormal liver function tests
  • a significant type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis
  • a type of allergic reaction called angioedema
  • a serum sickness reaction
  • inflammation of the liver with stoppage of bile flow
  • a type of skin disorder called acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis
  • a type of significant allergic skin reaction called DRESS syndrome

• an infection due to the fungus Candida
  • canker sores
  • cramps
  • drowsiness
  • dizziness
  • a fever as a result of taking the medication
  • chills
  • lockjaw
  • taste impairment
  • decreased appetite
  • excessive thirst
  • trouble breathing
  • difficult or painful urination
  • stomach cramps
  • vulvovaginitis, an inflammation or infection of the vagina and vulva
  • kidney pain
  • fast heartbeat
(end)

Sounds like horrible stuff. If it messed up your gut you probably are also experiencing a thiamine deficiency which will exacerbate the problem. Thiamine supplementation may help.

Seba

10 days of Augmentin 2 grams / day.
10 days Rifaximin 1 gram / day.
Full dropper of Lugol's iodine / day.
Flush your bowels with epsom salts once a week.
Zero fiber diet.

I got diarrhea from Rifaximin on day 4 with only 400mg/day , and this antibiotic is supossed to cure it

Also relevent

Jessie

Not all antibiotics are good antibiotics. In fact, the more I listen to Ray, the more I think anything outside of the tetracyclines comes with notable risks. The cyclines tend to be the safest because they're also anti-fungal. But even then, they aren't foolproof. For example, in the Generative Energy #51interview Ray said several people have reported problems after using minocycline to sterilize the gut.

He also stated that efforts to sterilize your gut while in a low-thyroid state could lead to fungal overgrowth because you need sufficient energy to generate the proper amounts of stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, and intestinal mucus which keeps things flowing.

My recommendation would be to stop the antibiotics and take some flowers of sulphur to bring the yeast levels back down. Start your mornings with a glass of fresh lemon juice mixed into about 3-4oz of water. That will stimulate the secretion of acid. Coffee will also stimulate the secretion of hydrocholric acid. If you're feeling up to it, try microdoses of tetracycline to see if it helps bring the fungal load down. Take around 30-50mgs for the first time, just to see how you react. I normally take like 80-85mgs twice a day when I'm on a cycle.

OP
C

cubbiebear

I did some quick research for cefuroxime link: Common and Rare Side Effects for cefuroxime axetil oral

CEFUROXIME Side Effects by Likelihood and Severity​

COMMON side effects​

• diarrhea from an infection with Clostridium difficile bacteria
  • increased eosinophils in the blood
  • hives
  • a hypersensitivity reaction to a drug

• a yeast infection of the vagina and vulva
  • diarrhea
  • intense abdominal pain

INFREQUENT side effects​

• a skin rash

• thrush
  • excessive saliva production
  • vaginal irritation
  • itching
  • joint pain
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • gas
  • irritability

RARE side effects​

• a type of blood disorder where the red blood cells burst called hemolytic anemia
  • a type of blood disorder with a decrease in all types of blood cells called pancytopenia
  • low blood counts due to bone marrow failure
  • a decrease in the blood clotting protein prothrombin
  • decreased blood platelets
  • very low levels of granulocytes, a type of white blood cell
  • low levels of white blood cells
  • low levels of a type of white blood cell called neutrophils
  • a type of brain function problem called encephalopathy
  • inflammation of blood vessels in the skin
  • thrombophlebitis, an inflamed vein due to a blood clot
  • bleeding
  • inflammation of the large intestine
  • damage to the liver and inflammation
  • blockage of normal bile flow
  • a type of kidney inflammation called interstitial nephritis
  • decreased kidney function
  • erythema multiforme, a type of allergic skin reaction
  • a skin disorder with blistering and peeling skin called toxic epidermal necrolysis
  • a skin disorder with blistering and peeling skin called Stevens-Johnson syndrome
  • erythema or skin redness
  • seizures
  • swelling of the tongue
  • abnormal liver function tests
  • a significant type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis
  • a type of allergic reaction called angioedema
  • a serum sickness reaction
  • inflammation of the liver with stoppage of bile flow
  • a type of skin disorder called acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis
  • a type of significant allergic skin reaction called DRESS syndrome

• an infection due to the fungus Candida
  • canker sores
  • cramps
  • drowsiness
  • dizziness
  • a fever as a result of taking the medication
  • chills
  • lockjaw
  • taste impairment
  • decreased appetite
  • excessive thirst
  • trouble breathing
  • difficult or painful urination
  • stomach cramps
  • vulvovaginitis, an inflammation or infection of the vagina and vulva
  • kidney pain
  • fast heartbeat
(end)

Sounds like horrible stuff. If it messed up your gut you probably are also experiencing a thiamine deficiency which will exacerbate the problem. Thiamine supplementation may help.
what brand would you recommend for the thiamine? and how much? and do i have a chance to recover properly or is the damage permanant

golder

Not all antibiotics are good antibiotics. In fact, the more I listen to Ray, the more I think anything outside of the tetracyclines comes with notable risks. The cyclines tend to be the safest because they're also anti-fungal. But even then, they aren't foolproof. For example, in the Generative Energy #51interview Ray said several people have reported problems after using minocycline to sterilize the gut.

He also stated that efforts to sterilize your gut while in a low-thyroid state could lead to fungal overgrowth because you need sufficient energy to generate the proper amounts of stomach acid, pancreatic enzymes, and intestinal mucus which keeps things flowing.

My recommendation would be to stop the antibiotics and take some flowers of sulphur to bring the yeast levels back down. Start your mornings with a glass of fresh lemon juice mixed into about 3-4oz of water. That will stimulate the secretion of acid. Coffee will also stimulate the secretion of hydrocholric acid. If you're feeling up to it, try microdoses of tetracycline to see if it helps bring the fungal load down. Take around 30-50mgs for the first time, just to see how you react. I normally take like 80-85mgs twice a day when I'm on a cycle.
Thanks for this. You take an additional ~80mg of tetracycline when you’re on any antibiotic cycle just for the good antifungal properties of the tetracycline family?

Jessie

Thanks for this. You take an additional ~80mg of tetracycline when you’re on any antibiotic cycle just for the good antifungal properties of the tetracycline family?
No, I mean tetracycline and doxycycline are the only antibiotics I personally trust to be safe. I take around 80-85mgs because I find it's the best dose for me to lower endotoxin producing bacteria. I just take a 250mg capsule and split it into thirds. I have a milligram scale to help me out with the specifics. I would advise taking it out of the capsule regardless, because the capsule contains nasty crap like iron oxide.

The only other antibiotic I've taken within the past 2 years has been amoxicillin I think. But that was quite a while ago. The cillins may be okay, idk. When I was a teen I got a very bad case of hives from augmentin. In general, if I'm not going to take tetracycline then I'll just take charcoal or camphoric acid. They have antibiotic action that's much less invasive imo.

mostlylurking

what brand would you recommend for the thiamine? and how much? and do i have a chance to recover properly or is the damage permanant
I don't know a lot about the class of antibiotics that you took. I got damaged by taking Bactrim, another type of antibiotic that is known to block thiamine function. Here's an article about it: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter

I have gotten a lot better and am pretty much back to normal. I spent November of 2020-Feb1 of 2021 increasing my dose of thiamine hcl up to 2 grams/day, divided into two doses, one in the morning and one around 3:00pm. I've been on that dose since Feb1. I'm happy with the results but I do not know if I'll ever be able to stop this high dose thiamine. I don't know if my damage is permanent or not.

I recently found this video of Dr. Lonsdale; it might answer some of your questions about thiamine even though the main topic is not your specific issue:

View: https://vimeo.com/408207634