Facial Changes In Marine Corps Bootcamp (Before And After)

docall18

What sticks out to me in the 2nd pic is his facial assymetry.

Stress is known to cause this..

He does look more mature, but his canthal tilt is worse which is a sign of elevated cortisol.

Stressful bootcamps are know to significantly decrease DHEA and elevate cortisol.
I'm also pretty sure they are not getting quality protein or even perhaps enough calories at all. 6 weeks is a pretty short period of time to see a significant change.
I was thinking about sleep. I wonder how many hours he was getting per day. Lack of sleep is known to increase cortisol

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was thinking about sleep. I wonder how many hours he was getting per day. Lack of sleep is known to increase cortisol
Yeah, that too. Hard training isn't bad if it's followed up with adequate rest, sleep, nutrition, etc., and those important factors isn't very much focused on in bootcamp.
In bootcamp they mostly change someones mentality and that is what is positively influencing them in the short term and if the stress is continued long term they'll crash.

Cirion

Yeah honestly the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the second pic - sleep deprivation. He doesn't look good in that department. Not surprised, boot camp is probably murder on stress hormones and lack of sleep.

How open someones' eyes are is a good indicator of stress and sleep deprivation imo. People who are tired are going to have half closed eyes and those who are energetic will have wide open eyes in general. In the second pic there is a dramatic decrease in how open his eyes are.

Fred

Besides the fact that he seems to be standing closer to the camera in photo #2, he just looks older. Skin looks puffy/droopy - possibly due to edema (which may have contributed to increased facial width). Skin is no longer smooth. Now it looks mottled, and he looks like he has developed rosacea. Nasolabial folds are more apparent, and he has a more negative canthal tilt.
He most likely died of old age shortly after photo #2 was taken.
Great job Marines!!

ShotTrue

Besides the fact that he seems to be standing closer to the camera in photo #2, he just looks older. Skin looks puffy/droopy - possibly due to edema (which may have contributed to increased facial width). Skin is no longer smooth. Now it looks mottled, and he looks like he has developed rosacea. Nasolabial folds are more apparent, and he has a more negative canthal tilt.
He most likely died of old age shortly after photo #2 was taken.
Great job Marines!!
Maybe some red skin and canthal tilt, other wise he looks much better.
Canthal tilt could be the psychological cucking of hard training and being forced into the bottom of the totem pool in military rank

mangoes

Pretty accurate I think. In the study linked earlier in the thread re: canthal tilt + cortisol, it states that it’s likely water retention from the higher cortisol that causes almost “swollen eyes” which can explain the negative tilt. Cortisol is also well known to widen the face aka “moon face.”

JDD

594f8618e41dbd6473c7852a82a579a4.jpg
Different focal length

Peater Piper

Don't high levels of androgens oppose cortisol? I don't know how a person could get that kind of muscle and bone growth in 6-weeks with high cortisol and suppressed androgens. That's assuming the photos are legitimate, of course.

ShotTrue

Don't high levels of androgens oppose cortisol? I don't know how a person could get that kind of muscle and bone growth in 6-weeks with high cortisol and suppressed androgens. That's assuming the photos are legitimate, of course.
I really doubt he has cushings syndrome which a couple posters alluded to. Besides the canthal tilt he looks much more masucline

That photo was doctored/manipulated in some way, no doubt about it. Either they used camera tricks or they directly doctored the photo itself.

A change that big, in 6 weeks, just from physical exercise and discipline?

I'd maybe believe it if it was some mechanical jaw apparatus that you wear all day and night, but a change like that from bootcamp alone is completely unbelievable. Don't get your hopes up anyone. You can make your jaw look wider by chewing gum 24/7, but it and any exercise will do nothing to your eye shape unless you lose a ton of fat.

And everything I've already mentioned doesn't even take into account the fact that it's by the military.

It's pure propaganda (which I'm not saying is intrinsically bad). It's an advertisement. Are commercials or ads ever truthful? Do they have your best interest in mind? No, they're trying to manipulate your psychology so you buy their product, this product being joining the military so that they can use you as a weapon.

ShotTrue

Well the military often makes men more masculine/ psychological effects. Not worth it to be property and paid little, though the housing and other benefits are huge

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals