Delicious beef kidneys, not lying šŸ¤„

LadyRae

I've tried a few times to eat beef kidneys and I just couldn't stomach the flavor. So I tried something different and it turned out amazing so I wanted to share it here...

Starting out with two large beef kidneys, I trimmed the fat from the inside and slice them into one and a half inch chunks or so. Next, I soaked them in a salty solution of coconut milk, a little apple cider vinegar, salt and water- for 4 hours.

Drain the liquid, rinse the pieces, and toss them into a slow cooker along with some grape juice, a few squirts of ketchup, salt, garlic, and any other seasonings that you like.

Cook on low for at least four or five hours. Then I kind of forgot about it and unplugged it and went to bed because I was too tired to deal with them.

8 hours later I tasted them and they were soft and tender and full of delicious flavor, nothing like the pungent gross experience I'd had previously...

I hope you guys like this recipe and if anyone has any other ideas and success stories I'd love to hear them!

J.R.K

I've tried a few times to eat beef kidneys and I just couldn't stomach the flavor. So I tried something different and it turned out amazing so I wanted to share it here...

Starting out with two large beef kidneys, I trimmed the fat from the inside and slice them into one and a half inch chunks or so. Next, I soaked them in a salty solution of coconut milk, a little apple cider vinegar, salt and water- for 4 hours.

Drain the liquid, rinse the pieces, and toss them into a slow cooker along with some grape juice, a few squirts of ketchup, salt, garlic, and any other seasonings that you like.

Cook on low for at least four or five hours. Then I kind of forgot about it and unplugged it and went to bed because I was too tired to deal with them.

8 hours later I tasted them and they were soft and tender and full of delicious flavor, nothing like the pungent gross experience I'd had previously...

I hope you guys like this recipe and if anyone has any other ideas and success stories I'd love to hear them!
Thanks @LadyRae I have been looking for a recipe for kidneys. I can eat them but the experience like your own was and is less than pleasant!

-Luke-

Sounds good, thanks for sharing!

Kidneys are a good alternative for people who are worried about the high retinol content in liver, but still want the B vitamins, zinc, copper (not quite as high as in liver, but still high) etc. and especially selenium.

Coderr

Sounds good, thanks for sharing!

Kidneys are a good alternative for people who are worried about the high retinol content in liver, but still want the B vitamins, zinc, copper (not quite as high as in liver, but still high) etc. and especially selenium.
how about a beef heart? Tastes better than kidney.

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

Are they previously frozen? Fresh veal/lamb kidneys taste pretty good in my experience.
Yes they are frozen. I can't get them fresh around here and honestly I don't want to put in the work to do that. They do not smell bad when they thaw, I just need a good cooking method and it looks like I found one

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

How do you prepare your hearts @LadyRae? If you donā€™t mind sharing.
Absolutely! Hearts are a lot easier for me. I trim the fat off and give it to my chickens, and then I put it in my slow cooker with some herbs and spices on top and a little bit of water in the bottom, just about half an inch. Then I turn it on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Next I unplug it and then slice the heart roast into half inch slices and lay them down flat in the liquid and let that sit for an hour or two so the meat reabsorbs the juices.

Ta-da! Perfection

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

Are they previously frozen? Fresh veal/lamb kidneys taste pretty good in my experience.
I have some hunting friends that regularly give me organs from deer and elk and sometimes even moose. Those are pretty awesome. One of the teachers at my daughter's school gave me all of the organs from the wild turkey he got bow hunting. Those were also amazing

J.R.K

Absolutely! Hearts are a lot easier for me. I trim the fat off and give it to my chickens, and then I put it in my slow cooker with some herbs and spices on top and a little bit of water in the bottom, just about half an inch. Then I turn it on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Next I unplug it and then slice the heart roast into half inch slices and lay them down flat in the liquid and let that sit for an hour or two so the meat reabsorbs the juices.

Ta-da! Perfection
Sounds fantastic @LadyRae I will bet they eat like butter, any particular herbs that you find pair better with the hearts?
The one nice advantage of living in the west is that the organ meats tend to be less desired by the majority of people, so they tend to be abundantly available.

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

Sounds fantastic @LadyRae I will bet they eat like butter, any particular herbs that you find pair better with the hearts?
The one nice advantage of living in the west is that the organ meats tend to be less desired by the majority of people, so they tend to be abundantly available.
Yes, abundant and inexpensive šŸ˜... I have been dehydrating beef liver and encapsulating it for my family members that won't eat liver otherwise...

Oregano flakes, garlic powder, salt, and I also like the umami seasoning from trader Joe's

J.R.K

Yes, abundant and inexpensive šŸ˜... I have been dehydrating beef liver and encapsulating it for my family members that won't eat liver otherwise...

Oregano flakes, garlic powder, salt, and I also like the umami seasoning from trader Joe's
That sounds like a very simple, nutritious and delicious meal. Thank you for the information @LadyRae. If I donā€™t talk with you before have a Merry Christmas!!

SonOfEurope

What's the real advantage over liver?

I understand a hunter may take a bite or two but I never understood why they always tasted like pure piss to me .

akgrrrl

So glad you started this thread. After reading your recipe, I should mention this. I recently got a recipe box belonging to my 96yr old elder who had to move to her daughters place in CA. This woman was a pioneer in Alaska during the 1970s when the pipeline was being mapped out and there was very little in the territory. At the front of this box with her favorite recipes (canning, smoking and preserving was at the back) was a liver recipe where she ground the liver with her countertop hand grinder and mixed it with egg, onion,garlic powd and spices, crackercrumbs inside and outside, fried in a patty just like we do with salmon pieces and bits. I was quite surprised to see liver prepared like this!

OP
LadyRae

LadyRae

So glad you started this thread. After reading your recipe, I should mention this. I recently got a recipe box belonging to my 96yr old elder who had to move to her daughters place in CA. This woman was a pioneer in Alaska during the 1970s when the pipeline was being mapped out and there was very little in the territory. At the front of this box with her favorite recipes (canning, smoking and preserving was at the back) was a liver recipe where she ground the liver with her countertop hand grinder and mixed it with egg, onion,garlic powd and spices, crackercrumbs inside and outside, fried in a patty just like we do with salmon pieces and bits. I was quite surprised to see liver prepared like this!
Liver cakes! Very cool, thank you! Always thought that I would have made a good pioneer... But you know in this modern era we can still carry on the best of those older traditions.

Merry Christmas šŸ’šŸŽ„

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals