Astaxanthin

ANDREW CHIN

Astaxanthin is a carotene, so it could interfee with thyoroid and steroids, but such a little dose is needed for it to work.
A dose of 4 mg can stop sun burn, its extreme potent antioxidant potency can be extremely usefull to stabilize the polynsaturated fats inside the body.

What do you think about it?

I've taken about 8mg a day for several years. The skin definitely looks good, although it was already in good shape before supplementation. The main benefit for me was my eyesight. I'm pretty nearsighted, but after about 3 years of supplementation, my visual acuity went from -6.0 to -3.5. The ophthalmologist had never seen anything like it.

I know others who have restored their vision through the Bates Method or pinhole glasses, but astaxanthin seems to be working for me.

baccheion

I've taken about 8mg a day for several years. The skin definitely looks good, although it was already in good shape before supplementation. The main benefit for me was my eyesight. I'm pretty nearsighted, but after about 3 years of supplementation, my visual acuity went from -6.0 to -3.5. The ophthalmologist had never seen anything like it.

I know others who have restored their vision through the Bates Method or pinhole glasses, but astaxanthin seems to be working for me.
How did it affect DHT?

turns UV light into IR light in your skin (similar to melanin)

Care to share some to info about turning UV into IR in human skin by melanin? Im very interested in.

Last edited:

ANDREW CHIN

How did it affect DHT?

Not sure. I didn't do a before and after test for DHT.

IMO, I think it's best to be moderate with any kind of antioxidant. That's why I don't want to do more than 8mg per day. Optimally, there needs to be a balance between oxidation and antioxidation. :)

Care to share some to info about turning UV into IR in human skin by melanin? Im very interested in.

Melanin turns UV rays into infrared light. This is how melanin protects against sun burn and irradiation.

Melanin can be artificially raised with melanotan 2 injections. In fact the palest most white person in the word can easily turn their skin pitch black with melanotan 2 alone. Though this requires high doses. If dosed conservatively you get a nice deep tan in a week.

Melanin turns UV rays into infrared light. This is how melanin protects against sun burn and irradiation.

Melanin can be artificially raised with melanotan 2 injections. In fact the palest most white person in the word can easily turn their skin pitch black with melanotan 2 alone. Though this requires high doses. If dosed conservatively you get a nice deep tan in a week.

I mean some studies or technical biological explanation.

RealNeat

Very interesting, are you sure the reason for improvement was the astaxanthin? almost a 3 diopter difference is pretty huge. were you doing anything else during that time that might have contributed?

chanlaw

Not sure. I didn't do a before and after test for DHT.

IMO, I think it's best to be moderate with any kind of antioxidant. That's why I don't want to do more than 8mg per day. Optimally, there needs to be a balance between oxidation and antioxidation. :)
If i remember right it is 5ar inhibitor

ANDREW CHIN

Very interesting, are you sure the reason for improvement was the astaxanthin? almost a 3 diopter difference is pretty huge. were you doing anything else during that time that might have contributed?

Well, I was a high-raw foodist for 14 years, so maybe that contributed. It's hard to say, since I wasn't very scientific about this. I went about 15 years between eye exams.

RealNeat

Well, I was a high-raw foodist for 14 years, so maybe that contributed. It's hard to say, since I wasn't very scientific about this. I went about 15 years between eye exams.

I see. Are you still taking it and seeing improvements? Did the improvements happen at the begging or end of your raw food days with Astxn. It's strange that raw food would do it as it can impact thyroid negatively and have a lack of fat soluble vitamins + protein (unless your conversion of nutrients and keto acids somehow were on point, or your previous diet was disastrous, possible)

ANDREW CHIN

I see. Are you still taking it and seeing improvements? Did the improvements happen at the begging or end of your raw food days with Astxn. It's strange that raw food would do it as it can impact thyroid negatively and have a lack of fat soluble vitamins + protein (unless your conversion of nutrients and keto acids somehow were on point, or your previous diet was disastrous, possible)

I believe the improvement came towards the end of my raw food days. That's why I think it was the astaxanthin that did the trick. I got a new prescription for glasses about three years ago, and the improvement may have continued. I'll know for sure when I go for my next eye exam. I have continued taking the supplement during this time, and I have gradually eaten less of my diet in raw form.

I have a feeling I was converting beta carotene into vitamin A at a pretty fair percentage, but I don't know for sure. I don't have any metabolic issues like low thyroid or prediabetes/diabetes, which certainly helps. However, my bet is still on the astaxanthin, given its power as an antioxidant.

I experimented with it about 5 years ago but gave it up as I read it was ‘estrogenic’.

While I was taking it I walked up and down Snowdon on a very hot and sunny Summers day. My head is shaved and I was not already tanned and did not wear a hat or use sunscreen. During the 5 hours plus exposure there was no sign of sunburn. I’m convinced that I would have burned if it hadn’t been for the Astaxanthin I was taking.

Tbh I found this effect to be pretty amazing, I couldn’t believe that an oral supplement could have such a powerful effect.

Last edited:

baccheion

I experimented with it about 5 years ago but gave it up as I read it was ‘estrogenic’.

While I was taking it I walked up and down Snowdon on a very hot and sunny Summers day. Me head is shaved and I was not already tanned and did not wear a hat or use sunscreen. During the 5 hours plus exposure there was no sign of sunburn. I’m convinced that I would have burned if it hadn’t been for the Astaxanthin I was taking.

Tbh I found this effect to be pretty amazing, I couldn’t believe that an oral supplement could have such a powerful effect.
How much were you taking?

More than 2-4 mg is said to be problematic, as it lowers DHT. 2 mg/day seems like a good dose after a few weeks saturating with 8-16 mg/day.

I wonder if it has the same effect in women or if it does the female equivalent. If the former, it sounds even better for them.

I checked back on my Amazon order history and I made 3 purchases, 2 at 8mg dose and one at 12mg so in all likelihood either 8 or 12mg per day.

RealNeat

How much were you taking?

More than 2-4 mg is said to be problematic, as it lowers DHT. 2 mg/day seems like a good dose after a few weeks saturating with 8-16 mg/day.

I wonder if it has the same effect in women or if it does the female equivalent. If the former, it sounds even better for them.

Could it be that when the body has a use for that antioxidant power like @Dr.Winston O'Boogie s 5 hour exposure that it pretty much gets used up in those events and doesn't stick around to cause the claimed negative attributes.

As I said before, I found the anti sunburn effect pretty incredible for an oral supplement. It could well be that Astaxanthin's ability to protect also comes with a less obvious ability to harm but IMO it's a powerful supplement worthy of our respect.

Dave Clark

In this article, if you scroll down they say that in sockeye salmon there is 4.5 mg/oz., which they feel is not enough, but aren't most supplements about 4.5/ cap, and one oz. of salmon isn't a lot of fish meat. So if you ate a large piece of salmon, according to what they suggest, you are getting a good dose. Somehow I think those numbers are off, but if that would be the case, it looks like you get more than you think you would. There are a lot of positive studies on astaxanthin, but then there are a lot of positive studies on many things that Ray doesn't like. I just wonder if maybe taking some just once in a while would be better than everyday, that way you wouldn't build up too much and have any issue with the free radical/antioxidant dilemma.
Astaxanthin: 19 Known Medical Benefits, Uses, Side Effects & Conditions - Healthcare Weekly

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals