Vitamin D From Sunshine - Does It Have To Be Midday?

milk_lover

The sun in the UAE is extremely hot at midday. We can cook eggs on hot car surfaces. It's very unbearable and very unpractical for vitamin D production. I like to meet my nutrients through natural routes because if I supplement vit D, I may have to supplement other fat soluble vitamins as cofactors in a delicate manner and we have no good vitamin K2 and A supplements here.

Online, most websites tell you to expose the body at midday for optimal vit D production and if you are not light skin (like me, I have middle eastern skin), you may need to spend longer under the sun. I asked my grandfather about how the sun is good for our bodies and he agrees but then when I brought the midday sun, he laughed at me. He said who wants to burn themselves, crazy! He's always sought shade at that time, let it be under a tree or anything else, like his father and grandfather in the old times. It's usually between 9/10 am until 3/4 pm.

My aunt was tested few years ago and her vit D level was low. She was advised to get sunlight and prescribed pills. She threw her pills in the nearest trash and took a vow to walk every after noon (around 5 pm) exposing her hands, face, and feet until her next checkup. Guess what? Her level went up and the doctor was surprised.

This brings me to this question: why do vitamin D advocates insist on the midday time? Do they want to make it impractical for those living in hot harsh environment or those living further north or south from the equator where the sun cannot go above 50 degrees for most of the year so they push supplements on us? I don't like to ponder on conspiracy theories a lot, I like to act in the best interest of my health and the health of my family.

LucH

milk_lover said:
post 100904 why do vitamin D advocates insist on the midday time?
as long as your shadow is no longer than your body, it's good. If your are 1.90 m high, the sun shadow mustn't be taller than 2 meters.
I won't choose midday time unless you want to roast in the United Arab Emirates ;)
Doctors simplify, not to give too many explanations ...
But not everybody lives under 35° latitute. It depends on the wave length.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

LucH said:
post 100912
milk_lover said:
post 100904 why do vitamin D advocates insist on the midday time?
as long as your shadow is no longer than your body, it's good. If your are 1.90 m high, the sun shadow mustn't be taller than 2 meters.
I won't choose midday time unless you want to roast in the United Arab Emirates ;)
Doctors simplify, not to give too many explanations ...
But not everybody lives under 35° latitute. It depends on the wave length.
Then how do you explain my aunt increase of vit D even though her shadow length after noon is probably double her body length?

LucH

LucH

Under 25 degree latitude North (and the same South, I guess), there is no problem for sun exposure all the year long (sun wavelength).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17142054
The data shows that at lower latitude locations (<25 degrees N), wintertime vitamin D UV levels are equal to summertime levels.
Dubai is just at 25 ° latitude North. So, try not to "sunbathe" between 11 and 3 pm.
:hattip

tara

jimmyquick

There is an app called d-minder that tells how how much d you are getting based on location, time of day, skin color and so forth. You can put your lab result in and it keeps track of your level.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

LucH said:
post 101516 Under 25 degree latitude North (and the same South, I guess), there is no problem for sun exposure all the year long (sun wavelength).
The data shows that at lower latitude locations (<25 degrees N), wintertime vitamin D UV levels are equal to summertime levels.
Dubai is just at 25 ° latitude North. So, try not to "sunbathe" between 11 and 3 pm.

Thanks for the study! So this means I should be assured I can get vit D all year long in my country without sunbathing or being obsessed about midday sun. How cool!

tara

milk_lover said:
post 101620
LucH said:
post 101516 Under 25 degree latitude North (and the same South, I guess), there is no problem for sun exposure all the year long (sun wavelength).

Thanks for the study! So this means I should be assured I can get vit D all year long in my country without sunbathing or being obsessed about midday sun. How cool!

I have heard stories of women in some hot sunny countries getting vit-D deficiency (even to rickets) because they were having to stay indoors or cover up with full burkas all day. This won't apply to you.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

tara said:
post 101874 I have heard stories of women in some hot sunny countries getting vit-D deficiency (even to rickets) because they were having to stay indoors or cover up with full burkas all day. This won't apply to you.
Yeah I can see that. Majority of people, men and women, in my country are vit D deficient. The reason behind it is that nobody wants to expose their bodies to such hot radiation from the sun. They like the cars and buildings A/C better :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals