Weightlifting Testosterone Vs Lactic Acid

Hans

Forum Supporter
How about just using dumbbells at home? I've heard RP mentioning dumbbells positively in one of the kmud interviews.
Dumbbells are one of the best pieces of equipment you can use. You can get really creative with those and build a great physique with it. I have a few DBs at home and use them all the time. Really convenient.

morgan#1

I mix 1 c coconut water, and 1 c cranberry, 1 c lemonade, with salt and some vitamin c. Used to use beta alanine, but I’ve stopped now. I realized I’ve been on that for about 2 years. I figured it was time to stop. And for my post I have chocolate milk

Cameron

Biggest thing for me was lowering volume and training days to recover my testosterone and stress hormones 3 days a week 10 sets a training session reps in the 5-8 range slow controlled negatives but always challenging with pushing for more weight in the rep range of 5-8. Now IF I do trt at some point I will increase volume but doing that crazy bro ***t isn't making you badass it's making your body crash and burn I'm 6 1 225 with abs it wasn't till that way of training and eating tons of eggs raw milk sugar and stopped fasting that I made considerable changes in strength and my muscularity

Cameron

For me say it's my pull legs day it's 5 sets rack pulls 3 sets off squats 2 sets body weight excersize like weighted pull ups

My push day
3 sets bench 3 sets military press barbell 2 set flies 2 sets lateral raises

Cameron

I go in and hit it intense but short in and out eat plenty of calories and stay as rested as possible plenty of sugar and gelatin and potato overload :) close to a gallon of raw milk and you can ensure strength and muscle gain while stress down

@Cameron What’s your total protein intake? In grams and in %

I’m extra lean @215lbs. I don’t really care about studies done on average gymbros. More interested in anecdotes from guys who train like I do, short and intense sessions. I’ve been intensely craving proteins since jumping back on the nandrolone therapy. Would destroy a pound of 97% turkey which doesn’t make any sense since it’s the worst tasteless pile of brick meat

Dobbler

Having muscle is good but you'll never have "massive muscles" naturally. I dont know how long u've been lifting but you guys should never expect to look like your favorite fake natty youtuber naturally. U'll find that out after you've been lifting for 5 to 8 years.

Cameron

Having muscle is good but you'll never have "massive muscles" naturally. I dont know how long u've been lifting but you guys should never expect to look like your favorite fake natty youtuber naturally. U'll find that out after you've been lifting for 5 to 8 years.
I eat 8-10 eggs a day almost a gallon of raw a2 milk and small 3oz portion of steak and a few tablespoons of gelatin with plenty of potatoes and fruits plenty of salt so about a gram per pound bodyweight with far more carbs. 25 protein 25 fat 50 carbs roughly although I like to think high fat high protein high carbs. High everything lots of good quality food low pufa and inflammation nutrient dence

Last edited:

Cameron

And agreed id love to run test haha but I'm 25 and after three years in the gym many years playing football rugby I'm still progressing with strength and health and that's right natural bodies can be strong and healthy but Instagram fake natties are not reality. Nothing wrong with taking hormones if done using a brain but lying about it and thinking that's normally attainable is ridiculous

Mossy

...almost a gallon of raw a2 milk...
A day? That has to be insanely expensive. A gallon of raw milk for me, on sale, is $14--regular price is $17.

Mossy

Wow my source is 9 dollars or three gallons for 25 Amish farm
That is really good pricing, and the source sounds great.

I've started weight-lifting this summer since I heard Ray Peat say in an interview that having massive muscles have some metabolic advantages. The first one is that muscles can burn fat at rest, which can help to burn any excess PUFA that you ingest, instead of storing it. The second is that muscles actually can produce Testosterone and together with the brain and skin can produce steroids. It seems there are two ways you can train the muscle.
1. Weight lifting which produces Testosterone. This means stimulating the muscle, but not causing fatigue or failure. Also known as stopping when you feel the burn. The burn in the muscle usually occurs after 10-12 reps. This is lactic acid and as we know is anti-metabolic and lowers thyroid function. Dropping the weight before lactic acid builds up avoids this anti-thyroid effect. Lifting like this produces Testosterone, I experience increased testosterone feelings when leaving the gym and the following day. My libido will be very high and I have strong-antidepressant effect. The closest feeling which resembles it is high dose Vitamin K2 which is also known to increase testosterone levels.
2. Weight lifting which produces lactic acid. Fatigue the muscle. Going beyond 12 reps and your muscles start to burn but you push through anyway until failure (15-20 reps). You will generate of a lot of lactic acid and get a huge pump inside your muscle. This lactic acid will produce growth hormone, cortisol and estrogen as a response. After my workout is finished I will feel very drained and my libido is low. I feel lousy and need some time to recover. Working out like this can make you hypothyroid. Your muscles do grow because of the high growth hormone and estrogen but a lot of it is water retention which will disappear when you stop working out for a while.

Obviously if you want to maintain high testosterone and thyroid levels option 1 is going to be better as a way of working out. I did grow a lot of muscle mass using option 2, but it also made me go hypothyroid and lowered my libido and perceived testosterone levels.
Less is more for me personally. I think 4 lifts is my sweet spot which probably differs from person to person. I have noticed a libido increase after a good workout provided I don’t overtax. We want to help our HPTA to work with us and not against us. Good thread man!

aquaman

To me, short workouts, if it produces lactate or not, is far better than long workouts. Too much heavy weight will drain the system too fast, followed by fatigue and then the metabolism takes a hit. So I incorporate both low reps, 3-5, moderate reps 6-12 and rarely high reps 13+.
Your workout should also be designed around your current state of health and your glycogen stores. I find that if I split my workout in two, meaning do one part in the morning and the other in the afternoon, the workouts are less taxing, I recover faster and grow faster. Also, if I train real intense (short rest), but keep the workouts short, I recover quickly and feel much better, even if the volume stays the same.
2-3 sets of a heavy compound movement (3-5 reps) aren't taxing at all and provides more than enough stimulus for strength and hypertrophy gains.

Plus everyone's goals are different. My goal is to develop every aspect of my physique completely, and for that only heavy weights won't work. I use all kinds of techniques to stimulate the muscle and they respond very well to it. But someone that just wants to have bulbous undefined muscles, can just use one compound movement for a muscle group to stimulate it for growth.

Nice

aquaman

Indeed, the concentric phase (lifting the weight) is beneficial to mitochondria and produces testosterone. The eccentric phase (dropping the weight) is bad for mitochondria and also damages the muscle. This muscle damage is repaired by your body which results in muscle growth. Regular weight lifting incorporates both concentric and eccentric, so you get the mitochondrial en testosterone producing benefits of the concentric movement, and the increased muscle mass from the eccentric movements.

Concentric definitely builds muscle. I’ve done a lot of concentric-only training over last 18 months

aquaman

Good to know. What rep range did you use?

I do 10-12 ( I see this as the equivalent of 5-6 normal reps where you do concentric and eccentric), at slow speed of 3-4 seconds for the concentric. I use a mix of cables (at gym) or bands at home. The bands are great, really help with muscle-mind connection and ability to contract, especially in the end ranges. You don't need to be close to maximum to get good effect, plus recovery is very easy.. could do the same muscle groups on consecutive day after a while.

Also, if you do them at home, you can space them out during the day as someone posted about above.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals