Hyperthyroid Vs. Adrenalin/Cortisol And Lactic Acid

oriana

Hello!

I'm just finding my way to Ray Peat's work via first a deep dive into the Autoimmune Paleo diet following recent discovery that I have lots of all three thyroid antibodies (TPO, TGab and TSI) and a hypervascularized inhomogeneous thyroid (would like to know more about this morphology, too). I have cracked my old college biochem book (never dreamed that would happen), but it's slow going and I could use a hand!

I have tons of questions but will start with just a few.

1. In spite of supposedly having "Grave's Disease" I've never felt particularly hyperthyroid and Ray's view on most hyper being hypo makes sense to me. In fact I refused to take Thymiazol in spite of 0.003 TSH and slightly high FT3 and FT4 since I felt so hypothyroid and didn't want to go further down that road. That said, just starting with temps and pulse and I do often have resting heart rate well over 100. Even mild exertion-- a few steps up at subway or even chopping mushrooms!-- puts me around 120+. Temps aren't especially low so far.

Can someone help me understand the cortisol/adrenalin governing metabolism and how this feels and what to do about what I'm guess are adrenalin symptoms?

2. main symptom (in addition to others for sure) is mega muscle weakness. like I get lactic acid muscle burn from brushing hair or emptying dishwasher. I'm sipping OJ all the time since clearly my liver isn't able to maintain my sugar well, but Ray talks so much about lactic acid and lactate. How can I regain even basic exercise tolerance and what is the meaning of omnipresent or easily appearing lactic acid? What's difference between la in blood and in muscle and elsewhere?

3. AIP Paleo people seem to present the diet working based on lowering immune stimulation via removing sensitive food items and keeping them out of bloodstream via leaky gut thereby lowering inflammation. But what I understand so far of the RP view (via Haidut on a generative energy podcast) is that by nixing sugar you get immune suppression via cortisol (like taking cortosone). But all these AIP people are supposedly working with functional doctors, doing functional labs and "managing stress." Wouldn't appearance of stress metabolism on functional labs make people think twice, i.e. are people doing these kind of diets really walking around with measurable stress control of metabolism (and how would this look according to functional labs-- how to interpret the day profile for cortisol for example? is it simply that there's too much of it?). Would you have to be in proper ketosis and how often to get into adrenalin/cortisol control? Is this itself maybe a kind of sliding scale depending on other variables and general metabolic health? Also, how could such a diet ever help someone with thyroid issues, even in short term? For me the first month of AIP was basically hell-- I developed what in retrospect I see was mega blood sugar issues including parched mouth and constant peeing (makes sense in light of how poorly my liver is able to handle life in general). Adding in a bit more sugar helped and cutting grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, nightshades, etc. definitely useful.

4. with a lot of hesitation I submitted to a thyroid scintigraphy (I think they used technetium-99m) and learned nothing I didn't know subjectively: that in spite of what visibly looks like "thyroid inferno" with all the extra blood supply it's basically working more or less OK (i.e. uptake was in normal to low range). I assume this constitutes ionizing radiation? Anyone know what have I done to my already beleaguered thyroid with the radiation?

Thanks much for thoughts!

Last edited:

Tarmander

Very interesting. Have you actually tried thyroid before? Like NDT orally or anything like that? I would be curious what your reaction would be. I know when I first started taking thyroid, I had a slow down, and I had some of the exercise intolerance that you had.

Sucrates

I have TrAB and TPOAB. (“Graves’”)

My levels have been super high though, FT3 and FT4 at 6x and 2.5x max range, pulse up to 135. When my levels were highest I was exhausted but completely unable to rest or sit still. I think a couple of things that might be causing the seeming hypo symptoms of hyperthyroidism are high RT3, as it’s a defence against excessive T3 and T4. I’m unclear on the specifics but it seems that it is a hypo and hyper state at the same time though in different respects. The other thing is a hypersensitivity to catecholamines, serotonergic activity then is hypo metabolic and that’s probably another defence mechanism. Getting the levels down with antithyroid meds improved all the symptoms. Muscle weakness is classic Graves hyperthyroidism, not something I had noticeably though. I think RPs point about hypothyroidism presenting as hyper is symptomatic diagnosis based on elevated pulse which can happen in chronic hypothyroidism.

I'd read valtsus article on LLLT and thyroid if you haven't already, I think that mentions vascularity as well as TPO and hormone evels. LDN is worth looking into, though there are more claims on Hashimotos'/TPO than Graves'/TSI. Elaine Moores' most recent book on Graves' is excellent, Advances in Graves'... or something similar.

Sucrates

Very interesting. Have you actually tried thyroid before? Like NDT orally or anything like that? I would be curious what your reaction would be. I know when I first started taking thyroid, I had a slow down, and I had some of the exercise intolerance that you had.

This might end up in death. :/

OP
O

oriana

Thanks, both!

Full on Grave's sounds quite awful. I feel lucky to have avoided that so far-- I've only ever had vaguely higher end of so-called normal (serum) FT3 and FT4 (FT3 5,10 pmol/l range: 3,30 - 6,00 and FT4 16,80 pmol/l range: 7,00 - 21,10). My slightly fear-mongering GP assures me that is because I am just at the beginning of this whole thing and I should take the Thiamazol, but I'm not sure. I'm in Germany where apparently they don't have RT3 available, but I'm glad to know it might be helpful here.

I was curious to see what would happen if I supplemented a bit as an experiment, but I'm so confused about what's happening (and if perhaps I've got lots of "free" hormone but it's not being taken up?) that I hesitated...

Sucrates, have you found dietary/Peat stuff helpful and if so what?

Thanks for references, too.

OP
O

oriana

I think I'm pretty far out of thyroid storm territory, but thanks for concern :)

I found a functional doctor here in Berlin (maybe the only one in the city?!) who used to be an emergency doctor...he assured me if I went into emergency room with hyper I would just get a beta blocker and thyroid suppressing drug and all would be fine. That was not what the internet scared me into thinking...in any case, would rather not find out about that first hand.

Sucrates

Thanks, both!

Full on Grave's sounds quite awful. I feel lucky to have avoided that so far-- I've only ever had vaguely higher end of so-called normal (serum) FT3 and FT4 (FT3 5,10 pmol/l range: 3,30 - 6,00 and FT4 16,80 pmol/l range: 7,00 - 21,10). My slightly fear-mongering GP assures me that is because I am just at the beginning of this whole thing and I should take the Thiamazol, but I'm not sure. I'm in Germany where apparently they don't have RT3 available, but I'm glad to know it might be helpful here.

I was curious to see what would happen if I supplemented a bit as an experiment, but I'm so confused about what's happening (and if perhaps I've got lots of "free" hormone but it's not being taken up?) that I hesitated...

Sucrates, have you found dietary/Peat stuff helpful and if so what?

Thanks for references, too.

Eating buckets of sugar helps, along with protein. There's a raging inferno of thyroid just looking to increase stress hormones so anything to blunt that is useful, but really when the levels are that high the only thing to do is take betablockers and ATDs. I seemed to go hyper very quickly after a few years with odd symptoms. If I were you I'd take betablockers to bring the pulse down a bit and keep some on you, watch pulse carefully etc. There may be benefit to LLLT or LDN but really the only working options are the official ones and the drugs seem by far the best of those when they work, and they very often do. In Japan they have very good numbers of remission through block and replace, that is completely shut the gland down with drugs and replace with thyroid hormones, remission based on TSI readings. It's referenced in that book.

Sucrates

I think I'm pretty far out of thyroid storm territory, but thanks for concern :)

I found a functional doctor here in Berlin (maybe the only one in the city?!) who used to be an emergency doctor...he assured me if I went into emergency room with hyper I would just get a beta blocker and thyroid suppressing drug and all would be fine. That was not what the internet scared me into thinking...in any case, would rather not find out about that first hand.

I had stopped taking betablocker for migraine a few months before going suddenly hyper, lucky I was in contact with a clued in Dr and had those betablockers or I probably would have ended up in ER. I was home alone and hesitant to call an ambulance. Could have died really. But yeah if you get to an ER they can usually prevent death. It would ruin your year though.

OP
O

oriana

Very helpful to hear your experience with this and how it can shift on a dime. Was there any trigger you can identify (was it stopping the beta blockers)? I have to admit I like the version of the story where I don't have this made up thing called Graves and drinking my Milk and Orange Juice makes it all magically go away. Some reality is very good, thanks.

Interesting, too, my main concern all these years (that my thyroid has apparently been quietly frying itself) was migraines. Paying attention to sugar for first time has helped with headaches quite a lot.

Sucrates

Very helpful to hear your experience with this and how it can shift on a dime. Was there any trigger you can identify (was it stopping the beta blockers)?

Hard to say really, there are a number of things that might be relevant. I had an existing AI condition. I had stopped propranolol, propranolol increases RT3 and this seems to degrade in a non-linear fashion, it can create hypermetabolic states 4-12 weeks after ceasing. I was taking T3, small amounts at that time 2mcg 3-4 times a day. On the day I went hyper I had taken a micro-dose of 1P-LSD, a legal pro-drug of LSD, in an attempt to shift the headache/migraine situation. I'll never really know which, if any of those had a causal influence.

Tarmander

Your case is interesting OP. the whole hyper metabolism is so rare compared to hypo.

Have you done a lot of experimenting yet? Have you tried and logged most of the peat foods and substances? Liver, oysters, b vitamins, thyroid, cypro, fat solubles, etc

Don't let people scare you about dying. As long as you go slow and have emergency backup, you can start to get some real knowledge on what does what, and whether you are actually hypo, etc. peat does make things sound super simple sometimes, it's very alluring. However it often ends up being quite the quagmire to get to a place that he talks about. Basically Peat is not an easy way out where you get to eat ice cream and sugar galore, and just keep revving the metabolism.

Would be interested to hear more from you.

OP
O

oriana

Yes, 100% right about fear-- this is actually the main thing that I resonate with about the Peat stuff. Recognizing that the imflammatory state feels like *something deathly is happening and I can't get out* is so helpful (and, anyway, as they say: whatever death is like, I won't be there to experience it).

But also excellent not to set up the wrong or stupid experiments, venturing into cul-de-sacs and having a bad time while there. Definitely don't want to get really hyper if I can do anything to avoid it!

What do you mean by logged in logged Peat substances?

Yes, almost no one talks about hyper states; it's hard to find good stuff on this I find. But also I'm not convinced I'm in hypermetabolism--at least at the moment-- weight isn't really changing much in spite of all my dietary experiments of the last month or two. I was going to do the measuring fluid in and pee out that came up in a generative energy podcast (actually, which if anyone reading remembers what that ratio is meant to be could they remind me? I've no memory which episode it is in. Something like that urine out should be 1/3 of fluids in if thyroid good? Something like that?)

Anyway, I'm kind of cautiously transitioning from the AIP Paleo, not feeling totally confident about it (about if there is indeed something useful, even as a sort of emergency measure-- to the food sensitivity approach to inflammation and maybe even a more precise way of working with sugar). I think I've overdone the liver: I couldn't stop eating it once I started. I was almost on a liver mono-diet for awhile there, it was like nectar of the gods (bad idea apparently, cf. tryptophan). Thankfully, that phase seems to be tapering off.

I'm taking 1.5g Aspirin over the day which is excellent: it has an amazingly positive impact on my mood. It's almost a bit too good to be true.

Awaiting my Progest-E to finally arrive in mail from UK.

Not sure which form of Vit-A to take. Have 10K D which might be too much.

Also want to try the niacinimide but haven't yet.

I'm not ready to delve into the antibotics but I bet I've got SIBO. In Peat land the antibiotics are to get endotoxins down, yes?

This weekend for the first time in my life ever I semi-willingly drank a glass of milk (I was raised by hippy parents and drinking milk was tantamount to drinking battery acid or something-- that went in deep).

Tarmander

When I say logged, I mean, just keep some kind of record of what you are doing. It sounds like you are ordering Peat supplements to experiment with, so I think you are well on your way. Like you said, go slow and do what you are comfortable with. At the same time, don't be afraid to make bold, large moves when you feel strongly, or something is very obvious.

A great place to start is to go with what interests you and excites you. That feeling that maybe this could be something that really helps you. Don't do anything that feels like drugery, or like a diet that you have to follow to a T. You won't get anywhere and won't learn anything. If you are curious about it, it won't be a cul de sac. Then experiment until you are satisfied and are interested in something else. Overtime you will build knowledge about yourself and will probably not hurt yourself in any significant way. When people on here say there is no peat diet, that is my take on what they mean.

Sucrates

Yes, 100% right about fear-- this is actually the main thing that I resonate with about the Peat stuff. Recognizing that the imflammatory state feels like *something deathly is happening and I can't get out* is so helpful (and, anyway, as they say: whatever death is like, I won't be there to experience it).

But also excellent not to set up the wrong or stupid experiments, venturing into cul-de-sacs and having a bad time while there. Definitely don't want to get really hyper if I can do anything to avoid it!

What do you mean by logged in logged Peat substances?

Yes, almost no one talks about hyper states; it's hard to find good stuff on this I find. But also I'm not convinced I'm in hypermetabolism--at least at the moment-- weight isn't really changing much in spite of all my dietary experiments of the last month or two. I was going to do the measuring fluid in and pee out that came up in a generative energy podcast (actually, which if anyone reading remembers what that ratio is meant to be could they remind me? I've no memory which episode it is in. Something like that urine out should be 1/3 of fluids in if thyroid good? Something like that?)

Anyway, I'm kind of cautiously transitioning from the AIP Paleo, not feeling totally confident about it (about if there is indeed something useful, even as a sort of emergency measure-- to the food sensitivity approach to inflammation and maybe even a more precise way of working with sugar). I think I've overdone the liver: I couldn't stop eating it once I started. I was almost on a liver mono-diet for awhile there, it was like nectar of the gods (bad idea apparently, cf. tryptophan). Thankfully, that phase seems to be tapering off.

I'm taking 1.5g Aspirin over the day which is excellent: it has an amazingly positive impact on my mood. It's almost a bit too good to be true.

Awaiting my Progest-E to finally arrive in mail from UK.

Not sure which form of Vit-A to take. Have 10K D which might be too much.

Also want to try the niacinimide but haven't yet.

I'm not ready to delve into the antibotics but I bet I've got SIBO. In Peat land the antibiotics are to get endotoxins down, yes?

This weekend for the first time in my life ever I semi-willingly drank a glass of milk (I was raised by hippy parents and drinking milk was tantamount to drinking battery acid or something-- that went in deep).

Progesterone is very pro thyroid, keep that in mind. I find I'm niacinamide very potent, over 100mg and I'd need to eat a very large meal to prevent a stress response.

OP
O

oriana

Good point. I was thinking of my migraines tracking estrogen + other estrogen sx. I was wondering if the anti-Peat diet would be the right one for hyper people...

What does "stress response" mean for you in practice. Like what do you feel if you know you are in stress response?

Sucrates

Good point. I was thinking of my migraines tracking estrogen + other estrogen sx. I was wondering if the anti-Peat diet would be the right one for hyper people...

What does "stress response" mean for you in practice. Like what do you feel if you know you are in stress response?

Anxiety, sweating, poor cognition and low energy.

Arctic Fire

@Sucrates:

Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. Ray Peat has mentioned cabbage juice and propylthiouracil for relieving hyperthyroid symptoms. Any experience with these? Do you know if he's discussed anything else? In your experience, what anti-thyroid drugs have been most helpful for hyperT?

I'm helping a relative who may be hyperT, so I'd welcome hearing from anyone else who has used these types of remedies for hyperT or has Peaty info about them.

Good topic, OP.

Sucrates

@Sucrates:

Thanks for all the helpful info in this thread. Ray Peat has mentioned cabbage juice and propylthiouracil for relieving hyperthyroid symptoms. Any experience with these? Do you know if he's discussed anything else? In your experience, what anti-thyroid drugs have been most helpful for hyperT?

I'm helping a relative who may be hyperT, so I'd welcome hearing from anyone else who has used these types of remedies for hyperT or has Peaty info about them.

Good topic, OP.

I've not used propylthiouracil. Generally carbimazole is used. It has a few different names for essentially the same drug, some alterations in how it's metabolised etc.
Propylthiouracil is an older drug, considered less safe over longer periods. It's sometimes used when there are reactions to carbimazole (can crash white blood cells in 0.5% of users) or in pregnancy.

I've found carbimazole very effective with no side effects aside from slight itching for the first few days. It took a long time for me to normalize though.

Maybe if you took a little too much T3 then cabbage juice or liver might be practical - but for real hyperthyroidism I don't think either are an option. (Ray has mentioned lots of meat or liver are antithyroid because of the amino acids - liver moreso).

My advice is that you should never attempt to treat a suspected thyroid condition without proper testing. Those meds seem the best option, carbimazole seems safe long term too. Betablockers will help the pathological symptoms more in the short term. It can take weeks for the anti-thyroid drugs to be effective at all.

Block and replace is more effective at putting graves' in remission. This means completely shutting down thyroid with the anti-thyroid drugs and then completely supplementing with thyroid meds. There are some good studies mostly out of Japan.

I'd highly recommend this book on the subject.
https://www.amazon.com/Advances-Disease-Hyperthyroid-Disorders-Mcfarland/dp/0786471891

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals