Lactic Acid, Not Glucose Real Culprit In New Study

Kelj

This study :

Activation of the unfolded protein response in high glucose treated endothelial cells is mediated by methylglyoxal

examined the effect of normal and high concentrations of blood glucose on human endothelial cells which form the lining of blood vessels. The researchers found glucose metabolism increases in endothelial cells in the presence of high concentrations of glucose. They showed an enzyme, hexokinase-2 (HK2) degrades more slowly in high glucose concentration and claim this causes metabolic dysfunction of endothelial cells. They also say the HK2 effect is the major reason for the formation of methylglyoxal, a reactive glucose-derived substance. Methylglyoxal (MG), is increased in diabetes and linked to damage to blood cells, kidneys, retinas, and nerves in arms and legs, the so-called complications of diabetes. The MG results in mis-folded proteins which initiates an "unfolded protein response". This response results in inflammation and increased risk of blood clots. Dr. Naila Rabbani of Warwick Medical School said, "Mechanisms of organ sensitivity to damage by high glucose concentrations in diabetes are still poorly understood..."
No kidding. Ray Peat sheds light on what is really going on here.
In this article:

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.

Ray says:
"If the essence of diabetes is the presence of too much sugar, then it seems reasonable to argue that it is the excess sugar that's responsible for the suffering and death associated with the disease, otherwise, how would the prohibition of sugar in the diet be justified? In fact, the argument is made (e.g., Muggeo, 1998) that it is the hyperglycemia that causes problems such as hypertension, kidney failure, heart failure, neuropathy, blindness, dementia, and gangrene."
Also,
"As information about the many physiological and biochemical events associated with diabetes has accumulated, the basic doctrine that "sugar causes diabetes" has extended itself to whatever the topic of discussion is: "Glucose causes" the death of beta-cells, glucose causes blood vessels to become leaky, glucose causes cells to be unable to absorb glucose, glucose causes the formation of free radicals, glucose impairs immunity and wound healing, but causes inflammation while preventing the "respiratory burst" in which free radicals are produced by cells that cause inflammation, it disturbs enzyme functions, impairs nerve conduction and muscle strength, etc., and it is also addictive, causing people to irrationally seek the very material that is poisoning them."
The in vitro research carried on in the above study is touched on here, by Ray
"Tens of thousands of publications describe the pathogenic effects of sugar. To prove their point, they grow cells in a culture dish, and find that when they are exposed to excess glucose, often 5 times the normal amount, they deteriorate. In the artificial conditions of cell culture, the oversupply of glucose causes lactic acid to accumulate, leading to toxic effects. But in the organism, the hyperglycemia is compensating for a sensed deficiency of glucose, a need for more energy."

In this article:

Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer

Ray says,

"Our own tissues produce mostly L-lactate, but they can produce small amounts of D-lactate; larger amounts are produced by diabetics. Intestinal bacteria can produce large amounts of it, and it has many toxic effects. Methylglyoxal can be formed from either form of lactate, and it is an important factor in the glycation of proteins. It can also be formed from MDA, a product of lipid peroxidation. Protein glycation is an important factor in diabetes and aging, but glucose, rather than lactate and polyunsaturated fats, is commonly said to be the cause."

High lactic acid and high glucose are both seen in the same condition. The methylglyoxal is formed from the lactate. The lactate is formed in the petrie dish. The results seen in this study are about the effects of lactic acid, not glucose.
Effects like:
"Lactate increases blood viscosity, mimics stress, causes inflammation"
"Lactate contributes to diabetes, inhibiting the ability to oxidize glucose. It promotes endothelial cell migration and leakiness, with increased vascular permeability factor (VPF or vascular endothelial growth factor, VEGF) (Nagy, et al. 1985): this can lead to breakdown of the "blood-brain barrier."
"W.F. Koch, in Detroit, was showing that the ability to use oxygen made the difference between health and sickness, and that the cancer metabolism could be corrected by restoring the efficient use of oxygen. He argued that a respiratory defect was responsible for immunodeficiency, allergy, and defective function of muscles, nerves,"
"Lactate formation from glucose is increased when anything interferes with respiratory energy production,"
"Glycolysis is very inefficient for producing usable energy compared to the respiratory metabolism of the mitochondria, and when lactate is carried to the liver, its conversion to glucose adds to the energy drain on the organism"
"The protein-protective effects of carbon dioxide are replaced by the protein-damaging effects of lactate and its metabolites."
"The ability of lactic acid to displace carbon dioxide is probably involved in its effects on the blood clotting system. It contributes to disseminated intravascular coagulation and consumption coagulopathy, and increases the tendency of red cells to aggregate, forming "blood sludge," and makes red cells more rigid, increasing the viscosity of blood and impairing circulation in the small vessels. (Schmid-Schönbein, 1981; Kobayashi, et al., 2001; Martin, et al., 2002; Yamazaki, et al., 2006.)"
"Incidental stresses, such as strenuous exercise combined with fasting (e.g., running or working before eating breakfast) not only directly trigger the production of lactate and ammonia, they also are likely to increase the absorption of bacterial endotoxin"
"maintaining the intestine's energy production can be achieved by optimizing hormones and nutrition"

"A focus on correcting the respiratory defect would be relevant for all of the diseases and conditions (including heart disease, diabetes, dementia) involving inflammation and inappropriate excitation, not just for cancer"
The respiratory defect is corrected by abundant carbohydrate and calories. The brain selects a higher blood glucose level to ensure against death in the absence of enough carbohydrate nutrition.
The characterizing of the trouble in the cited study as high glucose levels is not only false, but continues the campaign against the very substance that will help the body produce efficient energy and good health....glucose. Enough calories from carbohydrate will convince the brain that there is enough glucose in the environment. The fasting blood glucose level will return to a level the brain thinks is optimal and the true cause of the so-called diabetic complications...lactic acid, will be minimized. All organs will have the energy to maintain their proper function.

Cirion

Thank you for this post. I literally was explaining this in a thread the other day to some folks.

This is, like I said there, precisely why one needs to eat a high carb diet when diabetic. Lactic acid interferes with the cellular uptake of sugar, which means more must be intaken in order to ultimately raise cellular sugar/CO2 levels. And sugar (fructose) is better than pure glucose for this, for reasons Ray has stated many times. I've started collecting massive amounts of data from my own diet and the results of it (Over 100 columns of data like sugar/starch, total carb/protein/fats, amino acids, pulses, temps, moods/libido and much more), and my data has definitely shown so far that a high sugar intake is generally preferable to high starch intake. Glucose in the absence of fructose is a big problem for diabetics, and IMO one of the main problems with starch (Other than the problem that starches are generally also harder to digest). When insulin resistance is high, glucose won't be utilized all that well. But, even a pure starch diet is definitely better than keto. Mixing some sugar with starch seems OK though to a degree. As long as fructose is at least 33% of my total carb intake I seem to do OK.

Last edited:

Vinny

This is, like I said there, precisely why one needs to eat a high carb diet when diabetic. Lactic acid interferes with the cellular uptake of sugar, which means more must be intaken in order to ultimately raise cellular sugar/CO2 levels. .
Master, @Kelj ,
Does this mean, that more sugar ingestion will make the cells burn MORE sugar for energy?

OP
Kelj

Kelj

Master, @Kelj ,
Does this mean, that more sugar ingestion will make the cells burn MORE sugar for energy?
Yes. Eventually. Since the lactic acid is a product of inefficient metabolism caused by lack of the proper fuel. The right fuel is glucose from the diet, not glucose from destruction of body tissues and organs. The only way to get this system to correct, is feeding glucose, plentifully. Since it is the lactic acid as a less efficient fuel that is causing, by its toxic effects, the damages supposedly attributed to the high glucose, the right thing to do is provide the body what it needs to stop forming the lactic acid. It is the brain that is calling for the high glucose level. The brain/body is rational. It needs to ensure your life by providing the absolutely vital glucose. The high glucose is the best possible response to the deprivation your body is living with. It will only not need the constant stream at high level from liver and tissue when you're eating it. Then, the blood sugar will become, eventually, relatively low in the morning and highish after meals. Without attaching an arbitrary number to it.

Vinny

Yes. Eventually. Since the lactic acid is a product of inefficient metabolism caused by lack of the proper fuel. The right fuel is glucose from the diet, not glucose from destruction of body tissues and organs. The only way to get this system to correct, is feeding glucose, plentifully. Since it is the lactic acid as a less efficient fuel that is causing, by its toxic effects, the damages supposedly attributed to the high glucose, the right thing to do is provide the body what it needs to stop forming the lactic acid. It is the brain that is calling for the high glucose level. The brain/body is rational. It needs to ensure your life by providing the absolutely vital glucose. The high glucose is the best possible response to the deprivation your body is living with. It will only not need the constant stream at high level from liver and tissue when you're eating it. Then, the blood sugar will become, eventually, relatively low in the morning and highish after meals. Without attaching an arbitrary number to it.
Thank you!

dreamcatcher

Thank you for this post. I literally was explaining this in a thread the other day to some folks.

This is, like I said there, precisely why one needs to eat a high carb diet when diabetic. Lactic acid interferes with the cellular uptake of sugar, which means more must be intaken in order to ultimately raise cellular sugar/CO2 levels. And sugar (fructose) is better than pure glucose for this, for reasons Ray has stated many times. I've started collecting massive amounts of data from my own diet and the results of it (Over 100 columns of data like sugar/starch, total carb/protein/fats, amino acids, pulses, temps, moods/libido and much more), and my data has definitely shown so far that a high sugar intake is generally preferable to high starch intake. Glucose in the absence of fructose is a big problem for diabetics, and IMO one of the main problems with starch (Other than the problem that starches are generally also harder to digest). When insulin resistance is high, glucose won't be utilized all that well. But, even a pure starch diet is definitely better than keto. Mixing some sugar with starch seems OK though to a degree. As long as fructose is at least 33% of my total carb intake I seem to do OK.[/QUOTE

This is, like I said there, precisely why one needs to eat a high carb diet when diabetic. Lactic acid interferes with the cellular uptake of sugar, which means more must be intaken in order to ultimately raise cellular sugar/CO2 levels. And sugar (fructose) is better than pure glucose for this, for reasons Ray has stated many times. I've started collecting massive amounts of data from my own diet and the results of it (Over 100 columns of data like sugar/starch, total carb/protein/fats, amino acids, pulses, temps, moods/libido and much more), and my data has definitely shown so far that a high sugar intake is generally preferable to high starch intake. Glucose in the absence of fructose is a big problem for diabetics, and IMO one of the main problems with starch (Other than the problem that starches are generally also harder to digest). When insulin resistance is high, glucose won't be utilized all that well. But, even a pure starch diet is definitely better than keto. Mixing some sugar with starch seems OK though to a degree. As long as fructose is at least 33% of my total carb intake I seem to do OK.

Mixing sugar with starch is not good, Ray told me that it is very important to avoid that combination. Most people don't do that anyway.

L_C

@Kelj

Hi Kelj, I believe to have severe overload of lactic acid I think due to fermented dairy or food with lactic acid in it. My symptoms are post nasal drip, ear pain, itchy/inflamed scalp.

Anyway, how do I get rid off this lactic acid overload? Obviously, I did stop eating fermented stuff and so on. Is there anything else that can help body to get rid off the overload?

digga

What's the most peaty way of getting high glucose? I presume potatoes, salads and seedless fruits, blueberries ? honey?
I get lactic acid build up in my legs, I am keen to try as I am relatively low carb/ high protein and high fat. I eat about 2 potatoes per day, 2 carrots, 1/3rd brocolli/courgette equivalent and maybe some rice/tapioca, sometimes 2 eggs on gluten free bread for my carbs.

Jam

What's the most peaty way of getting high glucose? I presume potatoes, salads and seedless fruits, blueberries ? honey?
I get lactic acid build up in my legs, I am keen to try as I am relatively low carb/ high protein and high fat. I eat about 2 potatoes per day, 2 carrots, 1/3rd brocolli/courgette equivalent and maybe some rice/tapioca, sometimes 2 eggs on gluten free bread for my carbs.
Fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals