Post Workout Lactic Acid

stsfut

I’ve started working out and I love it, getting decent muscle growth. However, I get pretty bad lactic acid build up. I experience air hunger and insomnia.

I am on thyroid and feel like I am pretty peaty in supporting my metabolism. I take B-vitamins, acetic acid which I feel like should help with the lactic acid but I still have issues. After the workout I have a good casein shake with lots of sugar and gelatin.

Any suggestions?

mrchibbs

I’ve started working out and I love it, getting decent muscle growth. However, I get pretty bad lactic acid build up. I experience air hunger and insomnia.

I am on thyroid and feel like I am pretty peaty in supporting my metabolism. I take B-vitamins, acetic acid which I feel like should help with the lactic acid but I still have issues. After the workout I have a good casein shake with lots of sugar and gelatin.

Any suggestions?

Have you read Ray's September 2020 newsletter? It has some important information on lactic acid.

That being said, if you're getting this massive lactic acid response, it means to some extent you're exerting yourself too much for the current state of your metabolism.

I would recommend taking large doses of thiamine HCL for a while (thiamine can quickly take care of lactic acidosis), eat good quality liver every week (for the riboflavin) and reducing the number of reps/set duration, at least for now.

jamies33

I get the same things. This will be a short term phenomenon and will cease when you're adapted to it, after which every day activities (and exercise) will produce less lactic acid.

Try baking soda in some orange juice after working out, and maybe extra carbonated drinks throughout the day until your fitness is improved.

mostlylurking

Any suggestions?
You may be in need of more thiamine. Try taking a 1/2 teaspoon of the powder when you are hurting. If it clears up the pain (like magic!) then that will show that you need it. Make sure you take some magnesium with it, otherwise I've read that it will increase serotonin.

lampofred

More milk and as much as possible do only concentric contractions as opposed to eccentric contractions. But all gym-based exercise necessarily involves eccentric contractions because you don't have free movement and are forced to go back and forth in the same place, so something like chopping wood is a much better way to work your muscles imo.

gaze

More milk and as much as possible do only concentric contractions as opposed to eccentric contractions. But all gym-based exercise necessarily involves eccentric contractions because you don't have free movement and are forced to go back and forth in the same place, so something like chopping wood is a much better way to work your muscles imo.
chopping wood, walking up stairs or hills, doing pull ups and chin ups and releasing from the top, throwing a medicine ball, these are all things i've thought of focusing on concentric. you have any more ideas?

lampofred

chopping wood, walking up stairs or hills, doing pull ups and chin ups and releasing from the top, throwing a medicine ball, these are all things i've thought of focusing on concentric. you have any more ideas?

Any movement you would find in nature is likely to be concentric. Picking fruit is concentric, shoveling is concentric, hammering nails, raking leaves, chopping vegetables (currently unable to think of things that involve heavier loads). So I guess the best bet is to keep trying to find physical work that needs doing in your house. Interestingly vacuum cleaning is not concentric because you go back and forth instead of in one direction.

Mastemah

Sprinting, the Olympic lifts, kettlebell swings, jerks, snatches, sled work, sledgehammer work, throws. Ray has said moderate bodybuilding is fine if you dont emphasize the eccentric and dont train to failure. Which is how the old Soviet model trained lifting anyways.

jamies33

Hes not asking for workout advice, lads

stsfut

Thank you all! I really appreciate the responses. I’ve been taking very high amounts of B1 HCL along with Mg a few times each day. I also put a few tspn’s of B2 into an OJ container every new bottle to get that steady stream. I think maybe Jamie is right, I just need to give it time. I’ve been lifting pretty heavy, not high reps.

Hans

Any suggestions?
As many have suggested, you might just be adjusting. So try to keep the RPE at 6-8 and build up from there. Do long rest until fully recovered between sets.

stsfut

As many have suggested, you might just be adjusting. So try to keep the RPE at 6-8 and build up from there. Do long rest until fully recovered between sets.
I think that might be part of it. Not resting enough. I’ve been going every alternating lower/upper then closing workout running a 10 minute or so mile.

jamies33

Try to space the baking soda at least half an hour away from real meals, it can reduce stomach acid temporarily. Glad it helps.

What has worked for me:
300mg of Thiamine HCL (usually Now Foods brand), taken with glass of OJ
OR
3-4 drops of the Idealabs methylene blue (Oxidal - each drop ~400mcg) dropped in glass of cola