Bioelectric Fields, Regeneration, And The Lactic Acid Myth

md_a

Carbon dioxide, produced by respiration, and ATP hydrolysis, are two powerful acidifiers of the cell; with sufficient stimulation both can probably act simultaneously, and in this situation the pH decrease will tend to oppose the exciting stimulus. Without sufficient oxygen to make C02, a given stimulus might cause greater excitation and probability of death. The insufficiency of oxygen also leads to a relatively reduced state of the cytoplasmic proteins, increasing their electrical charge at a given pH. C02 has many other effects that act in the same protective direction, such as calcium removal, iron binding, and water binding, and these other effects are at least as important as the pH effect.

(Badylak and Babbs, 1986 showed that the combination of a calcium blocker and an iron chelator with carbon dioxide tripled the survival after 7 minutes of cardiac arrest.) Adequate C02 is intimately involved in the disposition of calcium, and calcium's regulatory significance is universally recognized.

K. P. Buteiko believed that increased carbon dioxide in the body fluids sometimes caused cancers to disappear. In many studies over the last 40 years (and the trend can also be seen in insurance statistics published in 1912), it is clear that cancer mortality is much lower at high altitude. Under all conditions studied, the characteristic lactic acid metabolism of stress and cancer is suppressed at high altitude, as respiration is made more efficient. The Haldane effect shows that carbon dioxide retention is increased at high altitude.

Studying athletes at sea level and at high altitude, it was seen that less lactic acid is produced by maximal exercise at high altitude than at sea level. Since oxygen deficiency in itself tends to cause the formation of lactic acid, this has been called the "lactate paradox"; the expectation was that more lactic acid would be formed, yet less was produced. Something was turning off the production of lactic acid. Normally, it is oxidative respiration that turns off glycolysis and lactic acid production, so that in exercise beyond the ability of the body to deliver oxygen, and in cancer with its respiratory defect, glycolysis produces lactic acid. So, something is happening at high altitude which turns off glycolysis.

The Haldane effect is a term for the fact that hemoglobin gives up oxygen in the presence of carbon dioxide, and releases carbon dioxide in the presence of oxygen. It is the increased retention of carbon dioxide that accounts for the "lactate paradox." Carbon dioxide activates the Krebs cycle, but it also combines with ammonium, and in doing so, deactivates glycolysis because ammonium activates a regulatory enzyme. At high elevation, carbon dioxide is retained, and lactic acid formation is suppressed. (This is called the Pasteur effect, but altitude physiologists haven't begun thinking in these directions.) Comparing very low altitude (Jordan valley, over 1000 feet below sea level) with moderate altitude (620 meters above sea level), ACTH was increased in runners after a race only at the low altitude, indicating that the stress reaction was prevented by a moderate increase of altitude. (el-Migdadi, et aI., 1996.) -Ray Peat ‘Bioelectric Fields, Regeneration, and the Lactic Acid Myth’

RWilly

Great share!

Curious what your thoughts are on bicarbonates, such as baking soda?

meatbag

Carbon dioxide, produced by respiration, and ATP hydrolysis, are two powerful acidifiers of the cell; with sufficient stimulation both can probably act simultaneously, and in this situation the pH decrease will tend to oppose the exciting stimulus. Without sufficient oxygen to make C02, a given stimulus might cause greater excitation and probability of death. The insufficiency of oxygen also leads to a relatively reduced state of the cytoplasmic proteins, increasing their electrical charge at a given pH. C02 has many other effects that act in the same protective direction, such as calcium removal, iron binding, and water binding, and these other effects are at least as important as the pH effect.

(Badylak and Babbs, 1986 showed that the combination of a calcium blocker and an iron chelator with carbon dioxide tripled the survival after 7 minutes of cardiac arrest.) Adequate C02 is intimately involved in the disposition of calcium, and calcium's regulatory significance is universally recognized.

K. P. Buteiko believed that increased carbon dioxide in the body fluids sometimes caused cancers to disappear. In many studies over the last 40 years (and the trend can also be seen in insurance statistics published in 1912), it is clear that cancer mortality is much lower at high altitude. Under all conditions studied, the characteristic lactic acid metabolism of stress and cancer is suppressed at high altitude, as respiration is made more efficient. The Haldane effect shows that carbon dioxide retention is increased at high altitude.

Studying athletes at sea level and at high altitude, it was seen that less lactic acid is produced by maximal exercise at high altitude than at sea level. Since oxygen deficiency in itself tends to cause the formation of lactic acid, this has been called the "lactate paradox"; the expectation was that more lactic acid would be formed, yet less was produced. Something was turning off the production of lactic acid. Normally, it is oxidative respiration that turns off glycolysis and lactic acid production, so that in exercise beyond the ability of the body to deliver oxygen, and in cancer with its respiratory defect, glycolysis produces lactic acid. So, something is happening at high altitude which turns off glycolysis.

The Haldane effect is a term for the fact that hemoglobin gives up oxygen in the presence of carbon dioxide, and releases carbon dioxide in the presence of oxygen. It is the increased retention of carbon dioxide that accounts for the "lactate paradox." Carbon dioxide activates the Krebs cycle, but it also combines with ammonium, and in doing so, deactivates glycolysis because ammonium activates a regulatory enzyme. At high elevation, carbon dioxide is retained, and lactic acid formation is suppressed. (This is called the Pasteur effect, but altitude physiologists haven't begun thinking in these directions.) Comparing very low altitude (Jordan valley, over 1000 feet below sea level) with moderate altitude (620 meters above sea level), ACTH was increased in runners after a race only at the low altitude, indicating that the stress reaction was prevented by a moderate increase of altitude. (el-Migdadi, et aI., 1996.) -Ray Peat ‘Bioelectric Fields, Regeneration, and the Lactic Acid Myth’

Is this an excerpt from a newsletter?

OP
md_a

md_a

I do not like the taste of baking soda and because of this I do not take too much, I tried half a teaspoon before training and I noticed that I have better endurance. From time to time I add a little to orange juice but without observing something spectacular, it may need a larger quantity and more often. In the past, when I was sailing, in the first two weeks when I got on the containership, the stress was very high and my hair was starting to fall out, and every time I stopped by breathing in a plastic bag for 2 hours a day, it worked every time. About 10 years ago, I also tried to exercise breathing inspired by this diagram and after 2 days of continuous practice I went into a pleasant euphoric state, the colors seemed vivid, and I felt the need to joke more. It was a pleasant feeling that lasted several months, but because it is difficult to practice, I gave up and I rely on nutrition for CO2. When I get to the mountain I go and do mofetta therapy and bicarbonate baths and this helps me with a very good body condition.

Mofetta - Wikipedia

breathing exercise I was doing: breathe in 3 sec, breathe out 6 sec, hold 9 to 20 sec, and repeat. I practiced this continuous exercise for 2 weeks, being careful not to hyperventilate while I worked, and in the evening, I slept with a thin sheet on my head. I felt very energized, and I could not sleep more than 5 hours, and I did not know what to do with this surplus of energy because I was trapped in a small space from the ship.

Screen+Shot+2018-02-12+at+7.12.52+PM.png

Last edited:

Regina

I do not like the taste of baking soda and because of this I do not take too much, I tried half a teaspoon before training and I noticed that I have better endurance. From time to time I add a little to orange juice but without observing something spectacular, it may need a larger quantity and more often. Instead, in the first two weeks when I got on the containership, the stress was very high and my hair was starting to fall out, and every time I stopped by breathing in a plastic bag for 2 hours a day, it worked every time. About 10 years ago, I also tried to exercise breathing inspired by this diagram and after 2 days of continuous practice I went into a pleasant euphoric state, the colors seemed vivid, and I felt the need to joke more. It was a pleasant feeling that lasted several months, but because it is difficult to practice, I gave up and I rely on nutrition for CO2. When I get to the mountain I go and do mofetta therapy and bicarbonate baths and this helps me with a very good body condition.

Mofetta - Wikipedia

breathing exercise I was doing: breathe in 3 sec, breathe out 6 sec, hold 9 to 20 sec, and repeat. I practiced this continuous exercise for 2 weeks, being careful not to hyperventilate while I worked, and in the evening, I slept with a thin sheet on my head. I felt very energized, and I could not sleep more than 5 hours, and I did not know what to do with this surplus of energy because I was trapped in a small space from the ship.

View attachment 17442
Cool! Amazing that you figured it out on the containership -- about the stress and breathing into a bag.

evanjones

I use a variation that Dr Majid Ali calls Feather Breathing. Practice breathing out so gently that an imaginary feather in front of the lips would not be disturbed. Start at 1 cycle every 10 seconds, then slow down. After a day or two I can slow down to 2 breaths/minute