DOMS And Lactic Acid, Prevention And Recovery?

Kunstruct

What can someone do to lower possible lactic acid build up while doing heavy work and most importantly how would one try to fix serious DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness)?

Seems every time I do big efforts and DOMS sets it, cold/flu-like symptoms appear and I can even get a full cold or flu if I completely ignore it.

Now supposedly DOMS is not because of higher lactic acid levels and that this would be a myth?

I have heard many people with huge levels of Testosterone, that they usually do not get DOMS, but I am not sure how true that is or that the Testosterone itself is the reason for low DOMS or no DOMS.

Usually people who work out, consume various supplements and those can also have an effect on DOMS I would guess, could exclude as Testosterone levels being of help only.

Is fast metabolism essential for getting no DOMS or for very short DOMS? And how to make sure there cold/flu-like symptoms to do set it. Using Magnesium Chloride seems to not help in 24-36 hours for me, even if I have seen this recommended by others, which I am not sure if they recommended it because of personal success or theory.

Last edited:

Markus

Beta-alanine, citrulline malate, ornithine-AKG and thiamine-HCL (250-500 mg) intra-workout can help reducing lactate during exercise. Also, I've heard that melatonin can decrease DOMS if taken before bed on training days.

Methylene Blue. You have to find your dose. Some reports suggest 1 mg is enough to prevent lactate buildup.

Last edited:
Increasing Protein intake to 2g per Kilogram of Bodyweight.Already incurred deficiencies?
B-Complex, and a Multi.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Are you getting lactic acid buildup from low or high reps?
What would you describe as lactic acid symptoms?
Getting pumped too easy and then having too much DOMS afterwards?

Getting pumped too easy is mainly due to low thyroid and possibly a suboptimal metabolism. This can also result in lower androgens and slower muscle recovery.

To prevent the rise in lactic acid production, sodium bicarb, beta-alanine, vitamin B1, niacinamide (which will inhibit lipolysis and disinhibit pyruvate dehydrogenase) and methylene blue can work great as a synergistic pre-workout combo. Then train mainly low reps, less than 6, and don't go anywhere close to failure.

Things that can help with DOMS:
A warm bath with epsom salt & sodium bicarb (a 50/50 mix), red light, tart cherry extract, gelatin, taurine, low PUFA diet, cocoa, fruit extracts such as pomegranate, elserberry, mangosteen, to name a few.

Then just make sure protein (>1.6g/kg/BW) and carb (double or more that of protein) intake is optimal.

Last edited:

johnwester130

At the moment I am experimenting with mildronate that peat has talked about .

It works on these pathways like b1, b1 does.

GAF

Strophanthin. See lyranara.me

Mildronate is good stuff, but, even for me its effects are at the margin. It allows you to go a little bit longer before completely wearing out.

To gauge its impact, you have to engage in very very strenuous activity.

TripleOG

Thanks.

I remember various concerns raised by @charlie, ray (email thread) and others. I don't know about this specific machine or what would be ok to use.

Yea I remember.

Charlie was educating another poster the difference between good and dangerous hydrogen watter bottles. Here's a video showing what he was talking about:

As for Ray, I think he started off cautious and began to come around on molecular hydrogen(H2) as more studies came out. I think his initial concerns regarded reductive stress, but H2 doesn't act like a typical antioxidant and doesn't have the issues of reductive stress. He talked positively about hydrogen gas a couple times since then. Tablet impurity seems to be his only concern, currently.

Email:
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Email:

Ray was asked on KMUD, apparently:
Question For HAIDUT On Molecular Hydrogen

The machine I linked produces very clean H2 gas as long as you follow directions. The effects have been potent. Heres my very brief review back in September.

Have been inhaling and drinking HHO/Brown's Gas and this is the most potent health "supplement" I've ever experienced.

Out of the products discussed on here that I've used, the effects are like a combination of CO2, thyroid, metergoline, pyrucet, methylene blue, and 6keto.

My opinion hasn't changed.

Last edited:
I used inosine after some weightlifting and noticed greatly reduced muscle soreness the next day after the workout. It was the 500mg Cardiovascular Research product. I would take 1 or 1.5 grams.

Wagner83

Yea I remember.

Charlie was educating another poster the difference between good and dangerous hydrogen watter bottles. Here's a video showing what he was talking about:

As for Ray, I think he started off cautious and began to come around on molecular hydrogen(H2) as more studies came out. I think his initial concerns regarded reductive stress, but H2 doesn't act like a typical antioxidant and doesn't have the issues of reductive stress. He talked positively about hydrogen gas a couple times since then. Tablet impurity seems to be his only concern, currently.

Email:

Email:

Ray was asked on KMUD, apparently:
Question For HAIDUT On Molecular Hydrogen

The machine I linked produces very clean H2 gas as long as you follow directions. The effects have been potent. Heres my very brief review back in September.

My opinion hasn't changed.

Thanks for the details.

I would be curious to know what he thinks about this machine as well as the cheaper ones.

OP
K

Kunstruct

So in the last 10 days I have taken 0.1ml of 1% Methylene Blue solution once a day orally.
I have generally taken 200mg of B1 and 200mg of B2 per day at different hours not both at the same time.
I have also used Tyromix 2 drops orally and 1 drop topically in the last 10 days.
So far this has done nothing for my DOMS.

For example this DOMS was the result of some light work.
30reps for 4 times of body weight squats , that is a total of 120 squats.
100reps body weight lunges
20 squats with 25kg for 2 times, for a total of 40 squats.

Lots of rest before and after, no actual stress before or after this workout.

Pdohlen

The Science

Breath in 5sec, breath out 5 sec - hold 10 sec... repeat for up to 20 minutes. Find it a bit hard myself, and cannot vouch for positive effects. But article above seems convincing to me.

golder

Has anyone found any slightly unconventional methods that has lowered their muscle soreness?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals