30 to 50 cups of coffee a day

Apple

Ray Peat mentioned that he drank 30 -50 cups of strong coffee with cream when he was hypothyroid.
At that he drank lots of milk too, but not together...
How 's that possible ? Anyone tried ?

7:40

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74oLBrVddFs&t=465s

I drank 6-7 small cups and by afternoon my eyballs were expoloding and I had a headache.
Though I've been drinking 2-3 cups of coffee almost every day for the last 5 years with no problems

Last edited:
OP
Apple

Apple

Potency of the cup. Each "cup" was equivalent to 5-10 cups of coffee
He said that he was constantly drinking strong coffee during the day so it was not about potency of the cup. Each cup of those 30- 50 cups was fairly strong

Risingfire

He said that he was constantly drinking strong coffee during the day so it was not about potency of the cup. Each cup of those 30- 50 cups was fairly strong
Don't think you can drink 30 singular cups in a day. You should might want to fact check that and reach out to Ray

OP
Apple

Apple

Don't think you can drink 30 singular cups in a day. You should might want to fact check that and reach out to Ray
What do you mean "to fact check" ?
Did you listened to the podcast ? He said pretty clear he drank 30- 50 cups a day. And this is apart from milk...

Herbie

He said he used to have those 30-50 with cream

Who knows if he is saying 30-50 standard cups worth of coffee in 5 of Rays cups of coffee.

I use instant and I pour like 15 tea spoons in one cup and have multiple per day so if I got by what the jar says to do I’m having 45-60 per day.

Recently my boss bought me a large coffee and it tasted like water to me.

OP
Apple

Apple

Who knows if he is saying 30-50 standard cups worth of coffee in 5 of Rays cups of coffee.

I use instant and I pour like 15 tea spoons in one cup and have multiple per day so if I got by what the jar says to do I’m having 45-60 per day.

If coffee is properly filtered it can taste like water but still be very strong with caffeine depending on brand.

Makrosky

hooooly!!! 15 teaspoons x coffee! How much mgs of caffeine x day is that? half a gram maybe?

Herbie

hooooly!!! 15 teaspoons x coffee! How much mgs of caffeine x day is that? half a gram maybe?
I don’t know but I’m adapted to it. I work 9 hours a day non stop, flat out car mechanic slave. Have to be extremely sharp, fast and resilient to pain, boredom and fatigue. I enjoy the pride that the boss cannot break me.

Makrosky

I don’t know but I’m adapted to it. I work 9 hours a day non stop, flat out car mechanic slave. Have to be extremely sharp, fast and resilient to pain, boredom and fatigue. I enjoy the pride that the boss cannot break me.
Well but the more you are resilient the more weight he will put on you no?

P

Peatness

This is astonishing. How much sugar do you take with this? What do you eat?

Kykeon

Honore de Balzac, a nineteenth-century French writer, drank the equivalent of around 47 cups of coffee A DAY for 25 years. some context, although it is hard to prove the myth.
I drink lots of coffee, i make it with about 25g, and i often drink 6-7 cups of those coffees. I think it is possible to drink this much coffee, not even too hard.
What I Assume Honoré de Balzac Thought After Drinking Each of His Fifty Daily Cups Of Coffee i just leave this here haha.

Last edited:
OP
Apple

Apple

-Luke-

A cup isn't a cup. The cup I drink my coffee or tea from is about three times as big as the cups you normally get in a café (at least in Europe, I don't know about the cup sizes in the States). And I don't have one of those huge cups. So if I drink 10 cups, another person would drink 30 cups, but the same amount of coffee.

I definitely know/knew people who drank 10-15 cups of coffee of the same size as mine. The ex boyfriend of my sister could drink strong coffee before he went to bed and could sleep like a baby. He basically drank coffee all day long.

Kykeon

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing the link.
Balzac also drank cofee with cream...there must be smth about this combination
Now we know how Ray Peat has been so mentally productive and wrote so many articles and given interviews all this time.
Well, starting my lucky cup No. 10 ... :emoji_coffee:
i think it has to do with having a "wasteful" metabolism. i can eat what i want, i never really put on weight. when i was weightlifting i couldnt eat enough to gain muscle mass. After i heard ray talking about the topic, and saying that many people in this group put on weight after taking thyroid i experimented with natural desiccated thyroid, and i gained like 4 kg in a quick time, putting me in a more normal weightrange. I have then stopped taking the NDT and my weight fell down again.

But it was a big relevation to me, seeing how easily i suddenly put on weight and not even eating differently or paying attention a lot to what i was eating. Just the thyroid hormone made it very easy for me to get out of the underweight BMI range.
So maybe the wasteful metabolism is less efficient at using caffeine or the ingredients in coffee, and it would explain why i dont crave coffee as much when my thyroid runs well.

Last edited:

Herbie

This is astonishing. How much sugar do you take with this? What do you eat?
I stopped having cane sugar but I used to have heaps as well, just have low fat milk. I eat cheese, these coconut bars and pineapple juice at work but I can’t hardly stop at all.

I eat beef, prawns, oysters, yogurt, pineapple juice outside of work at the moment but I do change my diet around a bit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals