From Coffee Headaches To A Healthy Thyroid

From a RPF e-mail......

ttramone: Just wondering why some of us get severe withdrawals (headaches, fatigue, drowsiness, low mood) if we don't use coffee daily. We don't get side effects from drinking coffee, just if we don't drink it for 24 hours (sometimes less). These 'withdrawals' can last as long as 5-6 days. Why would this happen? We are thinking there could be issues with our liver? Adrenals?

RP: "I suspect that it happens mostly with hypothyroidism, because in the 1970s I averaged dozens of cups a day, and thought about it as soon as I woke up, then suddenly after I took some thyroid, I didn't feel any need for it." -Ray Peat

I have heard Ray Peat talk about the differences between people who tolerate coffee well and people who don't and get jittery. Admittedly, I never drank coffee until I was 32. I am sure with all my PUFA eating and mostly potato and grain diet my thyroid was not happy. I was underweight for most of those years until my first cup of coffee at 32. Coffee was helpful getting me through the stress of a second newborn, while keeping a 4 year old little boy happy too. I liked that adding coffee to my regular routine took the "baby weight" off too, far quicker than the first pregnancy. Not only was in my size 6 jeans within weeks, I effortlessly took off the baby weight that I hadn't taken off from my first pregnancy too!

Coffee kept me energized, "regular" and slim, and I now understood why everyone was drinking it. There was a downside though. For the first time in my life I would get debilitating headaches if I didn't get my coffee in the morning, and then nausea afterwards if I didn't eat soon after. I felt bad for my coffee habit and tried a couple of times to quit, once for a whole year! It wasn't until discovering Ray Peat, 5 years ago that I realized coffee wasn't bad, and that it was my diet, that was bad, and how I was using it that made coffee feel bad sometimes.

So here I am now, several years into my PUFA free journey and drinking coffee, sometimes one a cup a day, sometimes 5 cups a day, and sometimes in the middle of the night without any issues, as if it were just food. Then a few weeks ago my husband made a comment that made me realize I am in a good place with me health. It had been a stressful couple of days where we were distracted and forgot to have our morning coffee. At the end of the second day my husband said, "Wow I just realized I haven't had any coffee for two days and I don't have the bad headache I use to get when I skipped coffes." I realizing the same, knew all the PUFA eliminating had our thyroids in a good place! My husband who has lived a stressed life, owning a business with deadlines, has been eating my Ray Peat diet, because I buy the food and I am the cook, and he just got back his thyroid test and the doc said it was excellent. The doctor said anything over 7 indicates a thyroid suppliment is needed, and his test number is 1.09. He never drank coffee until I did, just maybe a cup until "Peating", and now he enjoys several cups on some days. He always marveled how I could drink a shot of coffee in middle of the night and still sleep well, and now he can have a cup of coffee a few hours before bed and not have it affect his sleep either!

"Adequate nutrition is essential,” he said, “because coffee increases the consumption of glucose in the bloodstream. So, if you’re not drinking it with carbohydrates or fat — either in the form of a meal or as cream and sugar— that’s when you start feeling shaky.”

View: https://youtu.be/wJZJVaeawqU

"Our scientific community talks about coffee like it’s a drug, when actually it’s an adaptogenic nutrient. The caffeine in coffee mimics anti-stress hormones like progresterone, scavenges free radicals, and increases the efficiency of fuel consumption in the body.” -Ray Peat

HighT

I have like 5-10 times but didn't like the taste. Also had bad stomach afterwards, but now seems fine, except the after taste still stays for hours.

Fexxx

I would stay away from caffeine if “not needed” . At the end it’s just an addiction more. If you feel that healthy and stress free it could be better to think about which unnecessary things could be removed from your life and supermarket bill ;-) .
It’s a bit like adding redwine to your daily routine because your liver is now in a such good shape. Yeah you can do it but is it really worth??? Keep it simple

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I would stay away from caffeine if “not needed” . At the end it’s just an addiction more. If you feel that healthy and stress free it could be better to think about which unnecessary things could be removed from your life and supermarket bill ;-) .
It’s a bit like adding redwine to your daily routine because your liver is now in a such good shape. Yeah you can do it but is it really worth??? Keep it simple

Coffee is only an addiction if you have to have it, which was a point in this post, and Ray Peat's quote. When you get healthy you don't think about caffeine, and alcohol, you just enjoy it, or use it as a tool to block iron, or for me, to keep histamines away, which is so much healthier than taking anti-histamines. I'll tell you what's an addiction though, grains. That I keep out of my diet, except for an occasional splurge, and I don't mean weekly. By the way coffee is very good for the liver.

"Caffeine protects the liver from alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other toxins, and coffee drinkers are less likely than people who don’t use coffee to have elevated serum enzymes and other indications of liver damage." -Ray Peat

John mcclain

I'm 43 and start drinking coffee at 30.I remember my first cup of Starbucks I came over all jittery and spaced out for about 30mins but as soon as that stopped I wanted more...as off now I'm 8 weeks of it and hopefully I'll never go back to it the withdrawals for me lasted around 6 weeks with some crazy stuff too...around 4 weeks I had what could only be described as measle type rash around my upper legs n bum for around a week really bad itching too n then stopped along with the fatigue n urges to drink coffee my sleep improved greatly n vivid dreams came back along with all day energy...I beleive when I start drinking coffee I was in poor health space n coffee blocked alot of it to a point...I know my thyroid function isn't great my tsh has always been around 2.7 n border low free t3 but I'll be getting bloods soon to see what the last 2 mths has done but for those first 6 weeks made me feel I should never have touched caffeine but that's just me.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm 43 and start drinking coffee at 30.I remember my first cup of Starbucks I came over all jittery and spaced out for about 30mins but as soon as that stopped I wanted more...as off now I'm 8 weeks of it and hopefully I'll never go back to it the withdrawals for me lasted around 6 weeks with some crazy stuff too...around 4 weeks I had what could only be described as measle type rash around my upper legs n bum for around a week really bad itching too n then stopped along with the fatigue n urges to drink coffee my sleep improved greatly n vivid dreams came back along with all day energy...I beleive when I start drinking coffee I was in poor health space n coffee blocked alot of it to a point...I know my thyroid function isn't great my tsh has always been around 2.7 n border low free t3 but I'll be getting bloods soon to see what the last 2 mths has done but for those first 6 weeks made me feel I should never have touched caffeine but that's just me.

Sorry to hear you have had such an awful time. I don't know if you you have looked up what nasty stuff is in Starbucks drinks, but I gave up "coffee house" drinks long ago. Also coffee and potatoes are our most toxic food with the most pesticides used on them, so if you buy nothing else organic it is advised to spend the extra to buy organic on coffee and potatoes. With that being said I don't think I would drink coffee either if I were you. I suspect you may have an allergy to coffee like my oldest son does, but despite that fact, he still drinks coffee just fine, but he doesn't put anything in his coffee, just black. I had histamine issues coming into the Ray Peat diet and coffee, sugar and salt have saved me. I would be interested to know how your blood tests turn out too from your experience.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"One cup of brewed decaf coffee provides 2.4% of the recommended daily intake of magnesium, 4.8% of potassium, and 2.5% of niacin, or vitamin B3 (1Trusted Source).

This may not seem like a lot of nutrients, but the amounts add up quickly if you drink 2–3 (or more) cups of coffee per day."

Jon2547

I'm gradually quitting coffee. Maybe not forever but for a while. I started daily consumption back in '06. At one point I was up to ten cups a day. Now I'm down to two cups and hopefully will be off of it in a few days.

The main reason I am quitting is so that I can do some serious dry fasting.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm gradually quitting coffee. Maybe not forever but for a while. I started daily consumption back in '06. At one point I was up to ten cups a day. Now I'm down to two cups and hopefully will be off of it in a few days.

The main reason I am quitting is so that I can do some serious dry fasting.
What is dry fasting?

Jon2547

So as you can imagine, if I am addicted to coffee, dry fasting would be out of the equation.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So as you can imagine, if I am addicted to coffee, dry fasting would be out of the equation.
My dad did a 28 day water fast, which killed the Monrazuma's Revenge he had been living with for so many years. He said he was peeing clear water. He would have continued longer, because he loved having lots of energy and he lost a lot weight too, but his heart started acting funny, which scared him.

Jon2547

My dad did a 28 day water fast, which killed the Monrazuma's Revenge he had been living with for so many years. He said he was peeing clear water. He would have continued longer, because he loved having lots of energy and he lost a lot weight too, but his heart started acting funny, which scared him.
What is Monrazuma's Revenge?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Caffeine has remarkable parallels to thyroid and progesterone, and the use of coffee or tea can help to maintain their production, or compensate for their deficiency." -RayvPeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"The mechanism by which coffee consumption may play a protective role against development of benign or malignant thyroid neoplasms may be the stimulatory effect of caffeine on the intracellular cyclic AMP production, which is known to inhibit cell growth."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals