Vitamin D needs to be taken daily

P

Peatness

Of course sunshine is superior to supplements but for those of us who do not have access to sunshine year round due to geographical location then supplemental vitamin D is necessary. In this presentation Hollis thoroughly explains how vitamin D supplementation is processed by both the endocrine and autocrine systems. He reviews clinical trials that have had success or failure and correlates their results with their dosing strategy.

Dr. Bruce Hollis - Vitamin D Dosing Interval​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbheaULwRAk

Contents Overview: 00:01 Introducing Dr. Hollis 00:53 Intro by Dr. Bruce W. Hollis, Ph.D. 01:44 Vitamin D Systemic Delivery : endocrine and autocrine/paracrine 03:46 Vitamin D Tissue Homeostasis 15:48 Vitamin D Dosing During Clinical Trials 17:07 Different Studies 23:20 Conclusions Vitamin D intakes of 10,000 IU/d and circulating 25(OH)D levels of up to 100 ng/ml (250 nmol) are normal in human physiology. 24:45 END of lecture 24:50 Q & A: 24:57 Q 1. Benefits of Daily Dosing? 26:08 Q 2. 27:38 Q 3. Breast feeding mothers? 29:28 Q 4. Variations by race or ethnic group? 30:30 Q 5. Dosing factors and designing or reviewing a study? 32:26 Q 6. 32:52 Q 7. Compliance? 33:47 Q 8. 35:48 Q 9. Daily Dosages , circulating Vitamin D 38:13 END of Q & A

1646426088000.png

Attachments

• Vitamin D Dose Intervals - Hollis and Wagner.pdf
    456.5 KB · Views: 15
I've been trying to get my blood levels up to 60 ng/ml to help improve my sleep. When doing vitamin d supplementation beyond merely moderate doses, it's important to get blood work done to make sure you're not taking too much. It's also a good idea to make sure your test is the LC/MS test rather than the conventional one, the former being more accurate.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I went from deficient to toxic in a short period of time taking 8000iu daily when I switched brands.

I highly recommend you test when you change brands.

Thanks to this video and others as I followed the rabbit hole, I will be taking 2000 iu daily and testing again.

OP
P

Peatness

I went from deficient to toxic in a short period of time taking 8000iu daily when I switched brands.

Thanks to this video and others as I followed the rabbit hole, I will be taking 2000 iu daily and testing again.
How toxic and how long were you supplementing 8,000 iu?

I have seen reports of some brands misreporting the vitamin d content. But also, according to Dr. Stasha Gominak, about 2% of the population are sensitive responders to vitamin d, and need to take much smaller doses than the typical person. Hence why testing is important.

tankasnowgod

What's your definition of "toxic?"

This study found no toxicity symptoms in 3 subjects taking between 10,000-60,000IU of Vitamin D a day for up to 6 years-

Blood levels were higher than the standard range, up to 225 ng/dl (more than twice the top of the "normal" range), but they saw no symptoms of hypercalcemia or any adverse events, and one subject had a marked improvement in asthma.

Beastmode

"I know of people who have had vitamin D3 of 150 without symptoms. D2 is probably harmful at even lower levels. Since high calcium intake is generally additive with good vitamin D for avoiding sickness, I think it’s the suppression of PTH that is most important. Aldosterone and PTH work together, so low salt diets should be avoided."

- Ray Peat

Mister

Is vitamine D supplementation a good enough substitute for vit D from the sun though?

OP
P

Peatness

Is vitamine D supplementation a good enough substitute for vit D from the sun though?
No - but can you guarantee vitamin D absorption year round? With increased geoengineering it may be even more likely that the vitamin D absorption from sunlight is compromised. It does depend on where you are in the world. This is discussed in the interview I posted

milk_lover

Supplementing vitamin D stopped Dr Peat burning in the sun @ 25mins

Very nice interview. Keeping sugar/carb high at night and eating easily digested food are very important for general health especially for asthma prevention. Maybe this ties with Peat latest recommendation to eat more carb in general and keeping protein at 60 grams. He mentioned eating corn (although not very good nutritionally, but it replaces bad grains like wheat) and oatbran at night keeps sugar level stable during sleep by providing continuous supply of glucose. It seems Dr. Peat is still not fond of wheat in general. So it was a good reminder that I reduce my intake of wheat. I love wheat too much to give it up yet!

Vitamin D supplement is a must to us in the Gulf area since the sun is too hot and we are covered up. So it was nice Dr. Peat mentioned that about us (men and females). Almost everybody is deficient in vitamin D around here.

Quelsatron

No. Sun has at least 10+ different health promoting mechsnisms
Which one are those? I know of red light, and then there's apparently a blood pressure alleviating effect from UV (although it might just be nitric oxide release from the red light)

DonLore

Very nice interview. Keeping sugar/carb high at night and eating easily digested food are very important for general health especially for asthma prevention. Maybe this ties with Peat latest recommendation to eat more carb in general and keeping protein at 60 grams. He mentioned eating corn (although not very good nutritionally, but it replaces bad grains like wheat) and oatbran at night keeps sugar level stable during sleep by providing continuous supply of glucose. It seems Dr. Peat is still not fond of wheat in general. So it was a good reminder that I reduce my intake of wheat. I love wheat too much to give it up yet!

Vitamin D supplement is a must to us in the Gulf area since the sun is too hot and we are covered up. So it was nice Dr. Peat mentioned that about us (men and females). Almost everybody is deficient in vitamin D around here.
What? You are in a place with UV index of 10+ which gives plenty of vitD even in 10 minutes and you claim you must supplement vit D?

DonLore

Which one are those? I know of red light, and then there's apparently a blood pressure alleviating effect from UV (although it might just be nitric oxide release from the red light)
Shedding light on the 1 thing an Alpha Energy Male needs to do more of » MENELITE. An article from hans. Lists many many things.
+ It clearly releases some endorphins etc. I have tried red light + UVB + vit D + bright light but even those combined are like a pistol to a rocket launcher. Sun can NEVER be replaced with a pill. Not even close

Mossy

What? You are in a place with UV index of 10+ which gives plenty of vitD even in 10 minutes and you claim you must supplement vit D?
10 minutes a day in direct sun, at 10+ UV index, 5-7 days as week, can eventually do sun damage, for those sensitive to the sun. I've tried it. I'd prefer limited sun exposure and vitamin D, if possible.

OP
P

Peatness

He was not endorsing corn but was responding to Jodelle's question about why corn helped some people sleep better.

milk_lover

10 minutes a day in direct sun, at 10+ UV index, 5-7 days as week, can eventually do sun damage, for those sensitive to the sun. I've tried it. I'd prefer limited sun exposure and vitamin D, if possible.
Same feeling!
He was not endorsing corn but was responding to Jodelle's question about why corn helped some people sleep better.
Yeah that's true. He mentioned at least it's better than wheat since it has no gluten.