Chronic Serotonin Toxicity? Need A Help!

If I were you I would drink Centella Asiatica tea or capsules.
It has an effect on increasing so called BDNF
The BDNF gene provides instructions for making a protein found in the brain and spinal cord called brain-derived neurotrophic factor. This protein promotes the survival of nerve cells (neurons) by playing a role in the growth, maturation (differentiation), and maintenance of these cells.
It is important to get your brain health back after these overstimulating and damaging neurological syndromes.
Stimulating BDNF can upregulate receptors and improve your cognition and support healing.

In neuronal cells exclusively, centella asiatica appears to phosphorylate (activate) ERK[26][40][41] which underlies the protective and growth effects of this herb on brain cells.

JackieH

Has anyone's symptoms changed at all?? I'm currently experiencing a very bad wave and sleep brain zaps are back. They seem fiercer and there's a new buzz during the day in one ear.that I've heard twice

Also more tightness around my head at times. Tinnitus reached screaming heights this morning after a sleep

I'm exhausted from lack of sleep and highly anxious. I'm really scared I'm going to develop ssri type withdrawal zaps such as eye movement zaps Do you think this is possible if I haven't had them from the start?

Has anyone's symptoms changed at all?? I'm currently experiencing a very bad wave and sleep brain zaps are back. They seem fiercer and there's a new buzz during the day in one ear.that I've heard twice

Also more tightness around my head at times. Tinnitus reached screaming heights this morning after a sleep

I'm exhausted from lack of sleep and highly anxious. I'm really scared I'm going to develop ssri type withdrawal zaps such as eye movement zaps Do you think this is possible if I haven't had them from the start?
Lemon balm, helps with sleep and tinnitus. It keeps the brain calm by reducing the breakdown of GABA.

JackieH

Lemon balm, helps with sleep and tinnitus. It keeps the brain calm by reducing the breakdown of GABA.
Thank you.

Have woken up with a cold, so that explains it Had one a few weeks ago and wrecked me. Brain zaps came back then too .

JackieH

Is it safe to take ibuprofen while you are recovering from SS? Can't find any evidence that it interacts with serotonin, but I did find out that it makes ssris less effective as it blocks P11. Wondering if it might help stop the sleep latency brain zaps..

nostalgic

Is it safe to take ibuprofen while you are recovering from SS? Can't find any evidence that it interacts with serotonin, but I did find out that it makes ssris less effective as it blocks P11. Wondering if it might help stop the sleep latency brain zaps..
It slightly raises serotonin in my case but YMMV.

JackieH

Sorry to keep firing questions, since my second dose of SS 4 weeks ago, I've suffered chronic tinnitus and sensitive hearing. The sensitivity is worse when I'm tired.
I'm assuming it's messed up CNS and high serotonin levels causing these symptoms.

Has anyone experienced this too and experienced a cessation of them?

Jerimy Brown

Sorry to keep firing questions, since my second dose of SS 4 weeks ago, I've suffered chronic tinnitus and sensitive hearing. The sensitivity is worse when I'm tired.
I'm assuming it's messed up CNS and high serotonin levels causing these symptoms.

Has anyone experienced this too and experienced a cessation of them?

I experienced that same thing for sure...

I had very bad tinnitus while recovering(so bad it was making it hard to sleep), and I didn't really find anything that helped much for me... There are some different frequency therapy videos on YouTube, but I found in most cases they just changed the frequency of the ringing in my ears for a while, and didn't really minimize it, there are also some pressure point message videos on YouTube for it, but I discovered those pretty late in the game, so can't say if they were effective or not, but if you are as desperate for relief as I was feel free to try some of this stuff and see if it works for you(links at the bottom). It basically just took time and healing. I am a little past 3 months now, and still get low grade buzzing or ringing on occasion, but it's very mild now, and I might have had a little tinnitus to begin with from all the years of concert going, and loving music (I probably still play it too loud in my headphones some times ;)). What I found helped the most was a good vitamin stack to help with healing, but I had to stay aways from most supplements, I kept having bad experiences with anything that effected neurotransmitters... I didn't get my first brain zap until after I tried taking gotu kola to see if raising gaba would help level out my serotonin. I also had a bad reaction to something in BCAA's when I tried taking those early on for the protein boost. I found natural means of protein ingestion and vitamins to be the most agreeable for me, which was hard the first month when all I could ingest was bone broth, gelatin, potatoes and rice ;). Be careful with gelatin though... I over did it with raw gelatin before discovering collagen, and wrecked my stomach pretty bad for a couple days.

I found tapping to be the most effective for calming me when I was experiencing anxiety or frustration. I thought it was nonsense before suffering from SS (It was a desperation move on my part to try it, but I am keeping it in my routine moving forward, because it was so helpful in getting me through this). Part of the reason tapping may help, is because, from what I understand, I think it helps stimulate the vagus nerve similar to meditation... But don't quote me on that, I did a lot of crazy research when I was desperate for some kind of relief and unable to sleep LOL ;).

In terms of things I tried or watched for learning about or dealing with tinnitus, not sure these things were effective for me, but hopefully they help you:

Last edited:

JackieH

I experienced that same thing for sure...

I had very bad tinnitus while recovering(so bad it was making it hard to sleep), and I didn't really find anything that helped much for me... There are some different frequency therapy videos on YouTube, but I found in most cases they just changed the frequency of the ringing in my ears for a while, and didn't really minimize it, there are also some pressure point message videos on YouTube for it, but I discovered those pretty late in the game, so can't say if they were effective or not, but if you are as desperate for relief as I was feel free to try some of this stuff and see if it works for you(links at the bottom). It basically just took time and healing. I am a little past 3 months now, and still get low grade buzzing or ringing on occasion, but it's very mild now, and I might have had a little tinnitus to begin with from all the years of concert going, and loving music (I probably still play it too loud in my headphones some times ;)). What I found helped the most was a good vitamin stack to help with healing, but I had to stay aways from most supplements, I kept having bad experiences with anything that effected neurotransmitters... I didn't get my first brain zap until after I tried taking gotu kola to see if raising gaba would help level out my serotonin. I also had a bad reaction to something in BCAA's when I tried taking those early on for the protein boost. I found natural means of protein ingestion and vitamins to be the most agreeable for me, which was hard the first month when all I could ingest was bone broth, gelatin, potatoes and rice ;). Be careful with gelatin though... I over did it with raw gelatin before discovering collagen, and wrecked my stomach pretty bad for a couple days.

I found tapping to be the most effective for calming me when I was experiencing anxiety or frustration. I thought it was nonsense before suffering from SS (It was a desperation move on my part to try it, but I am keeping it in my routine moving forward, because it was so helpful in getting me through this). Part of the reason tapping may help, is because, from what I understand, I think it helps stimulate the vagus nerve similar to meditation... But don't quote me on that, I did a lot of crazy research when I was desperate for some kind of relief and unable to sleep LOL ;).

In terms of things I tried or watched for learning about or dealing with tinnitus, not sure these things were effective for me, but hopefully they help you:

Thank you so much. That's such a comfort. I'm only on week 4 from a second dose of SS, but at least I know there is hope for it going or at least quieting down..

I've been there with the supplements too. I won't touch them now. I can't eat gelatine as I'm vegetarian though. I do have a few staples but at four weeks, my appetite is low due to anxiety and I don't eat after noon at all as I'm scared I'll react and not sleep at night.

Currently having an awful time. The cold I caught made me so ill and my mother is now ill too and my eldest children made me feel awful about her looking after my son who is autistic. My father is there to help her though. Now feel horrible and hope that the experience hasn't done any damage. I'm desperate to be able to have my youngest back it's been months over the 2 SS attacks and I'm heartbroken. My eldest did apologise at least.

OP
G

ginny-red

Hello All!
I'd like to update my actual symptoms.
I still suffer from anxiety and high stress. I read that after birth pills, adrenal fatigue can occure.
I tried Niacinamide, now I'm trying with Prognenolone but I think it's not helping (I feel more stressed after Preg).
Maybe I should stay longer with Tianeptine? Is Tianeptine good for long time?

What is the best for symptoms like mine:
high cortisol, high stress, high adrenaline = high anxiety
TSH - 1.44 (norm: 0.27-4.2)
FT4 - 1.18 (norm: 0.93-1.7)

Please advise! Thank you.

jet9

I wonder if there are lab tests to test for Serotonin? Or is it symptoms only guess that one have Serotonin overload?

Peatogenic

Isolated amino acids such as those found in such protein drinks are readily fed upon by gut bacteria and produce a lot of ammonia immediately. This is worse in people with ibs as their gut flora is pathogenic. My guess is that your intestinal wall became sabotaged increasing bacteria and endotoxin translocation. Over time this can damage the blood brain barrier. Some amino acids by themselves can also cause damage to the BBB. Serotonin causes damage and increases the permeability of the BBB as well. Serotonin syndrome which is synergistic and almost synonymous with sepsis can cause extreme damage to the BBB. So you are left in a state where lps and other neurotoxins are elevated in your blood due to translocation from the gut and these toxins are able to freely pass into the brain causing neuroinflamation and damaging nearly all brain function. Chronic caffeine (from pills but not necessarily from coffee or tea as both have compounds that modify caffeines effects, coffee also irritates the intestines) can restore the BBB and reduce neuroinflamation. The next step is to improve gut flora and function. I have found unpasteurized goat milk to be very useful for this. Note that cyproheptadine can be protective in the short term but over time due to it's constipating effects it can worsen your gut flora (the most important regulator of the gut flora is regular bowel movements).

Do you know if isolated Glycine can cause this?

Jerimy Brown

Do you know if isolated Glycine can cause this?
I don't know the answer to your question, but your quote from Constatine is very interesting, because I just did a small write up in another thread, sharing the success I had with probiotics, but I had to build up to being able to take them, because I was so insanely sensitive to dietary changes, that I literally relapsed myself once by eating too much chocolate. Your quote from Constantine, explains what I was experiencing in terms of the BBB. Anyone who is having a long hard recovery like I did might want to read what I wrote about how probiotics seemed to be the turning point in my recovery.

Hope this is helpful for someone...
https://raypeatforum.com/community/...onin-syndrome.31961/message?message_id=123659

Jerimy Brown

I wonder if there are lab tests to test for Serotonin? Or is it symptoms only guess that one have Serotonin overload?
From what I have been told by doctors, and/or read on this forum and elsewhere, there is no way to test for Serotonin levels in the brain. I believe I recall that there are tests for serotonin in the blood, but that doesn't tell you what the levels in your brain are. I think I recall reading somewhere on the forum where someone was using some home testing kits, in the hopes that watching if the levels in the blood where going up/down combined with how they were feeling would at least give them a clue if they were going in the direction they wanted, but again, no way to test for levels in the brain at any given time.

Hitchens

8 months after SS, I thought I was back to normal from March to August, only to have an episode in late August, brain fog, anxiety, blurry vision, dizziness, vertigo, very similar to vestibular migraines. Interestingly, my blood work came back recently with my estradiol at less than 5 pg/ml, a friend advised me that such a low level in and of itself produces all those symptoms I listed above, its also likely the low estradiol is effecting brain serotonin levels. Thoughts? Fisetin and Quercetin have helped(estrogenic). I am considering the Mayo Clinic protocol for Fisetin as a senolytic as well as peptide therapy. I wonder if SS has damaged my aromatase?