From Coffee Headaches To A Healthy Thyroid

InChristAlone

Coffee is very yang (good thing most are too yin) especially when it is grown in the mountains.

Progesterone

Got my answer from Ray Peat......

Spot on.

There was a study I read that said, people who consume caffeine only (outside of coffee) had lower mortality than people who consumed caffeine IN COFFEE.

I switched to coffee a few months ago after being that guy who only took caffeine pills and never coffee...

Progesterone

Rinse & RePeat:

In your opinion are there any energy drinks on the market that are worth drinking? I would think the acidity on the metal cans would cancel out anything good. Here is the the ingredients in a Red Bull…

• Carbonated Water
  • Sucrose
  • Glucose
  • Citric Acid
  • Taurine
  • Sodium Bicarbonate
  • Magnesium Carbonate
  • Caffeine
  • Niacinamide
  • Calcium Pantothenate
  • Pyridoxine HCl
  • Vitamin B12
  • Natural and Artificial Flavors
  • Colorings

RAY PEAT:

“Coffee is the best energy drink. Anything acidic in cans is risky.”

Thanks for your work and sharing this...

Progesterone

“The biggest takeaway is just how comprehensive the study was,” said NBC senior medical correspondent Dr. John Torres on TODAY. “Those who drank that magic number — two to three cups of coffee for the most part — ended up not just having fewer heart problems, but less chance of dying over that 10 year period. They found it can be very, very good for you.”

“Coffee beans have more than 100 biologically active compounds — flavonoids that can boost your health, he noted. They can help reduce inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, boost metabolism, inhibit the gut’s absorption of fat and block receptors known to be involved with abnormal heart rhythms, Kistler said in the American College of Cardiology statement.”

Hey sweetie,

What do you think about McCafe coffee brand? Apparently, it is high quality... but certainly not organic, etc...

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks for your work and sharing this...
I wish there was. I loved my short lived Red Bull addiction. I avoid anything in cans now AND the citric acid makes it even worse. Good old Coke in glass bottles is the best I can come up with.

Progesterone

I wish there was. I loved my short lived Red Bull addiction. I avoid anything in cans now AND the citric acid makes it even worse. Good old Coke in glass bottles is the best I can come up with.

I thought cans were super safe....

So what's the deal with cans being unsafe in laymen's terms?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I thought cans were super safe....

So what's the deal with cans being unsafe in laymen's terms?
I am no expert, but I know Ray Peat says to avoid citric acid. I wonder if the addition of baking soda, that you listed in the ingredients, is to offset the effects of the citric acid?

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Caffeine is similar to T3, and Ray describes it as a "vitamin like" adaptogen and it's definitely been that in my experience.
It seems to help something in my electron transport chain.
Caffeine, just like water, just like salt and just like T3 can be used incorrectly and cause problems.
I've used it wrong plenty of times and crashed my blood sugar and raised adrenaline.
When used properly (in the right amount/right context) it can be very beneficial and even medicinal. For me its anti-aging, improves digestion, dopamine, energy, sleep, flexibility, strength, cognition and metabolism.“

coffeelover

I struggled with coffee for years after first having children. I would cut it out during pregnancy because it made me nauseous, but I would start drinking it again either during or shortly after the pregnancy. Whenever I craved it and felt sleep deprived enough that I couldn't resist it anymore. However, I felt super addicted to coffee and felt like 1-2 cups was never enough, yet if I had more I would get jittery and not be able to sleep at night....the worst phase was when I tried fasting all morning with only coffee, heavy cream, and stevia. Haha. However, since making sure I always drink it with/after a meal, add collagen, plenty of sugar, and a bit of milk, I am tolerating caffeine better and better. Plus, since I'm trying to lose weight right now, coffee is one thing I look forward to every day. I love knowing it can actually be good for me and not feel guilt over drinking it every day....kinda like sugar. I used to feel like such a weak willed person for being unable to avoid sugar! Gosh. Crazy.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Only 3% of coffees available worldwide today are grown using organic methods, which means 97% are treated with pesticides and other chemicals.

Coffee is largely grown in developing countries like Colombia, Brazil, and Ethiopia, many of which have few to no regulations on the use of pesticides and chemicals on food products. In fact, some actually use chemicals to treat coffee that have been banned in the US and Europe.

Though its been said the roasting process destroys pesticides, research now suggests that these chemicals actually penetrate the green coffee bean. Because of this, roasting often fails to eradicate the contamination, which can result in pesticide residue in coffee even after it’s been brewed.

Pesticide exposure is linked to a number of troubling health issues like:

• ADHD in kids
  • Alzheimer’s Disease>
  • birth defects>
  • breast cancer
  • other cancers
  • depression
  • fertility issues
  • immune system damage
  • low IQ in kids>
  • ovarian cancer
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • prostate cancer
  • respiratory problems”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Coffee has been found to affect the bio-availability of zinc, in lab tests, by up to 21 percent or 32 percent. The recommended daily intakes of zinc for men is 11 milligrams each day and 8 milligrams for women. Coffee's effect on zinc absorption in humans have not been studied extensively.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is informative video on coffee is worth the time to listen to…

View: https://youtu.be/iw97uvIge7c

I thought one of the most interesting parts of this video on coffee, was at the 1:44:00 minute mark, stating that drinking coffee AFTER learning something helps to retain that knowledge.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“There is a popular health-culture that circulates mistaken ideas about nutrition, and coffee drinking has been a perennial target of this culture. It is commonly said that coffee is a drug, not a food, and that its drug action is harmful, and that this harm is not compensated by any nutritional benefit. Most physicians subscribe to most of these “common sense” ideas about coffee, and form an authoritative barrier against the assimilation of scientific information about coffee.

I think it would be good to reconsider coffee’s place in the diet and in health care.

Coffee drinkers have a lower incidence of thyroid disease, including cancer, thannon-drinkers.

Caffeine protects the liver from alcohol and acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other toxins, and coffee drinkers are less likely than people who don’t use coffee to have elevated serum enzymes and other indications of liver damage.

Caffeine protects against cancer caused by radiation, chemical carcinogens, viruses, and estrogens.

Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues.

Cystic breast disease is not caused by caffeine, in fact caffeine’s effects are likely to be protective; a variety of studies show that coffee, tea, and caffeine are protective against breast cancer.

Coffee provides very significant quantities of magnesium, as well as other nutrients including vitamin B1.

Caffeine “improves efficiency of fuel use” and performance: JC Wagner 1989.

Coffee drinkers have a low incidence of suicide.

Caffeine supports serotonin uptake in nerves, and inhibits blood platelet aggregation.

Coffee drinkers have been found to have lower cadmium in tissues; coffee making removes heavy metals from water.

Coffee inhibits iron absorption if taken with meals, helping to prevent iron overload.

Caffeine, like niacin, inhibits apoptosis, protecting against stress-induced cell death, without interfering with normal cell turnover.

Caffeine can prevent nerve cell death.

Coffee (or caffeine) prevents Parkinson’s Disease (Ross, et al., 2000).

The prenatal growth retardation that can be caused by feeding large amounts of caffeine is prevented by supplementing the diet with sugar.

Caffeine stops production of free radicals by inhibiting xanthine oxidase, an important factor in tissue stress.

Caffeine lowers serum potassium following exercise; stabilizes platelets, reducing thromboxane production.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“One definition of a vitamin is that it is an organic chemical found in foods, the lack of which causes a specific disease, or group of diseases. A variety of substances that have been proposed to be vitamins haven’t been recognized as being essential, and some substances that aren’t essential are sometimes called vitamins. Sometimes these issues haven’t had enough scientific investigation, but often nonscientific forces regulate nutritional ideas.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The bad effects ascribed to coffee usually involve administering large doses in a short period of time.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The increased metabolic rate caffeine produces increases the cellular consumption of glucose, so experiments that study the effects of coffee taken on an empty stomach are measuring the effects of increased temperature and metabolic rate, combined with increased adrenaline (resulting from the decrease of glucose), and so confuse the issue of caffeine’s intrinsic effects.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Caffeine’s effect on the breast resembles that of progesterone, opposing estrogen’s effects.” -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals