Wealthy Countries Drink More Coffee

DaveFoster

Here's an interesting plot that shows how wealth increases in-step with coffee consumption. Coffee consumption positively correlates with the average global domestic product normalized to purchasing power parity, also known as GDP (PPP), or in simpler terms, productivity. The graph shows a natural S-curve.

As a stimulant, caffeine has powerful dopamine-like (dopaminergic) effects with potent pro-metabolic and anti-inflammatory effects in the brain, similar to thyroid hormone (liothyronine or T3).

The Enlightenment coincided with the popularity of coffee houses, and many Enlightenment thinkers exhibited high coffee consumption, such as Kant, Kierkegaard and Voltaire. Voltaire purportedly drank the equivalent of up to 40 cups per day, and he lived to be 83 years old, whereas the life expectancy of a 10-year old in 1705 (the same year as Voltaire) stood at around 50 years of age.

Arthur Charpentier plotted the data and posted it to his blog titled "Freakonometrics."

upload_2018-10-14_17-59-35.png

Link: Coffee and Productivity

Last edited:

lvysaur

Yeah, coffee boosts productivity like nothing else.

Runenight201

I would love to have a conversation with a Finnish citizen about their average day. At 12 cup/day intake, I wouldn’t be surprised if they fall asleep with a coffee IV set to pre-administer 30 minutes before waking.

tankasnowgod

Voltaire purportedly drank the equivalent of up to 40 cups per day, and he lived to be 83 years old, whereas the life expectancy of a 10-year old in 1705 (the same year as Voltaire) stood at around 50 years of age.

Ray Peat, now in his early 80's, purportedly drank 50 cups of coffee a day (!!!!) before he discovered thyroid hormone.

Ulysses

Is my geography bad or do dark, cold countries drink the most coffee? Correlation?
From what I remember reading in one of RP's essays, darkness has broadly estrogenic effects -- insulin resistance, increased urinary calcium loss, FFA release and lipolysis, etc. -- which are opposed by caffeine

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

:raypeatcoffeeGreat post!
Thanks!

Is my geography bad or do dark, cold countries drink the most coffee? Correlation?
You're absolutely correct. The heaviest coffee drinkers reside in Scandinavia and Northern Europe, such as in Iceland, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Netherlands. Ireland and the UK have lower coffee but higher tea consumption. Similar to coffee, tea provides both the warmth of the beverage and caffeine.

Mapped: The countries that drink the most coffee

From what I remember reading in one of RP's essays, darkness has broadly estrogenic effects -- insulin resistance, increased urinary calcium loss, FFA release and lipolysis, etc. -- which are opposed by caffeine

michael94

coffee is dark

Ulysses

What-a-Riot

maybe worth noting that coffee is a luxury, doesn't actually provide energy, structure, shelter, or warmth within shelter. so of course in places where more people have got those things worked out they can afford it. makes sense that in poorer countries more people would only be drinking it if it's been culturally established throughout history.

Vinero

All those countries with high coffee consumption and GDP also have a high calcium intake, Netherlands, Finland are worlds heaviest dairy consumers.

REOSIRENS

Yes...people living in tropical countries (low latitude)don't need coffee they have long daylight hours and hot temperatures all year ( both stimulate metabolism...so no need for caffeine)

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

maybe worth noting that coffee is a luxury, doesn't actually provide energy, structure, shelter, or warmth within shelter. so of course in places where more people have got those things worked out they can afford it. makes sense that in poorer countries more people would only be drinking it if it's been culturally established throughout history.
Numerous research studies show that coffee positively influences productivity, both through enhanced cognitive performance due to the elevations in dopamine, as well as through an improved mood and greater resilience to perceived stress. Virtually all corporations have free coffee in their offices to gain more production per hour from their employees.

YourUniverse

All the highest coffee drinking nations are also the highest dairy consumers, no? And that makes sense, as Travis has demonstrated that coffee contains anti opiates on par with anti-opiate drugs, which counter the b-casomorphin in cow dairy.

Dark countries consuming lots of dairy also makes sense to keep PTH low without lots of sunlight.

I see it as dark country -> dairy -> coffee

Nik665

Here's an interesting plot that shows how wealth increases in-step with coffee consumption. Coffee consumption positively correlates with the average global domestic product normalized to purchasing power parity, also known as GDP (PPP), or in simpler terms, productivity. The graph shows a natural S-curve.

As a stimulant, caffeine has powerful dopamine-like (dopaminergic) effects with potent pro-metabolic and anti-inflammatory effects in the brain, similar to thyroid hormone (liothyronine or T3).

The Enlightenment coincided with the popularity of coffee houses, and many Enlightenment thinkers exhibited high coffee consumption, such as Kant, Kierkegaard and Voltaire. Voltaire purportedly drank the equivalent of up to 40 cups per day, and he lived to be 83 years old, whereas the life expectancy of a 10-year old in 1705 (the same year as Voltaire) stood at around 50 years of age.

Arthur Charpentier plotted the data and posted it to his blog titled "Freakonometrics."
correlation does not equal causation. suicide rates are very close to this also showing richest countries correlate with the highest rates of suicide and also with highest coffee consumption., does this mean that wealth and coffee makes people kill themselves ? no. as most of us know its more likely the lack of sunlight

Nik665

yes this! also many poor countries have cheap sources of caffeine. when i backpacked thru south america, yerba mate was ihow the local indigenous got their fix, or coca leaves steeped

Back
Top Bottom